Start by marking “in the absence of the sun” as Want to Read:
in the absence of the sun

in the absence of the sun

in the absence of the sun is a poetry collection that explores our midnight thoughts--the "nightmares" and "dreams" that haunt us when we are unable to sleep. This collection takes you through a night of insomnia, ruminating on ideas of self-doubt, loss, and hope for the future.
Published June 24th 2017

To ask other readers questions about in the absence of the sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about in the absence of the sun

Whitney Atkinson

i’ve been doing this thing where i try a few pages of poetry and if i dont get captured i stop reading, but this one grabbed me and i read the entire thing in like 10 minutes.

Needless to say, it’s a very concise collection. It’s like a hybrid between salt by nayyirah waheed and the princess saves herself in this one by amanda lovelace. the themes throughout it are about getting out of abusive relationships, insomnia, loneliness, reading, feminism, and empowerment as a human being in ge
Alexa Weiss
basic

This book

Reads

Like my tumblr page

Circa 2010.

No but seriously it’s trying a little hard. 20 year old me would have probably gotten a piece from this tattooed on me.
McKenna
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am an avid reader but I am ashamed to say that I have never really seen the draw to poetry. That being said, when I saw a local student wrote this and got it published, I had to pick it up. Reading through this was like enjoying a little dessert here and there throughout my day. I took my time reading through it and I genuinely loved every piece. I finished it over a few months ago now and I still find myself thinking of particular lines. I have it displayed on my shelf as well and frequently ...more
Ashley Marsh
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
I think this new tumblr poetry getting published thing is just not for me. I didn’t find any of this in any way moving or inspiring. In the six minutes it took me to read this I found myself bored to tears, wishing for the end. I would give this one star based on quality, but, as I went into this knowing that this particular brand of poetry is not my thing, I added a star, because I really didn’t read this with the intention of hating it. I read it to give this modern poetry another chance. Unfo ...more
Nicole (Let's Talk Books)
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautiful poetry filled with heart and honesty.
Morgan Nikola-Wren
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I can't believe I'm the first person leaving a review for this here! This writer is a bright, young spark of a human who offers us such clever, hard-hitting lines as "you stole my breath so you could stop holding yours" and a brave candor, showing itself especially in the poem, "Things that Make Me Unlovable." This book is a delight. I just wish a great many of the poems were longer.

Looking forward to snatching up the next collection that Curtis releases.
Rachel Nicole Wagner
Good collection

This was a pretty good collection of poetry. The only reason I’m giving it three stars is because I couldn’t identify with a lot of the cynical-ness at the beginning, however, the closer I got to the end; the more I liked the poems. Good job!

Xo,
Rach
Rehan Abd Jamil
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Learn to take a compliment with grace even if you don't believe it. i love this :)
Irene
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
2.5/5.

(reading collections of poetry to achieve my reading challenge.😂)

Favs quotes:

Some people were just designed to be
destructive

That flicker in his eyes,
the one you thought was love,
turned out to be hell and chaos.
Alex Salmeron
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I accept poetry collections recommendations!

If possible something not romantic since I DNF that kind of poetry haha
Bri
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
I really expected to enjoy this, but I ended up feeling like I had read these poems many times before.
M.K.
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Me gustó. No fue la gran cosa, pero algunos de los poemas fueron muy buenos.
Kelly H
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Poetry, poetry, poetry. When thinking about books, recently, this is the only genre that has entered my mind. I was very late to the craze, so I feel hungry to read all of the most popular poetry books there are. After reading my first poetry book, I was reminded that not every book has to be long and dreadful and boring and analyzed. So, the next step for me was picking up "In the Absence of the Sun."

The theme of this poetry collection is well, when the sun is not shining, all of the thoughts t
Cari
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Every time I review a book of poetry, I feel it's necessary to point out that I'm in no way trying to diss the poet's artistic talent if I give a low or mediocre rating. The rating I give is purely derivative of the feelings inspired in me by the poet's words.

in the absence of the sun is a compilation of very short poems that were pleasant to read but didn't exactly inspire any deep feelings or moods, thus this was just an 'okay' reading experience for me.

Here are a few lines that stood out to
TheGuardian
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-reads
Read this all in one sitting. So good! My family loves writing poetry, so I decided to read some. I only knocked the star off because some of the poems, to me, were too crowded and busy. I haven’t read much poetry, so after a few collections I’ll get a better rating system lol.
Amanda Frontera
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a great book of poems! I loved each and every one of them!!!
dumplin’
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
in the ten minutes it took me to read this i think i fell asleep like six times so that’s cool i guess
Arnold
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing first book by Ms. Curtis. Her poems took me through a range of emotions from laughter to tears. She creates an incredible picture with her words. I can’t recommend it enough!!!
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
See this review and more on Books and Ladders!

Actual Rating: 3.5*

This was a fairly solid debut poetry collection; however, it did feel similar to others that I've read before. That's not necessarily a bad thing (as I quite enjoyed those), I just wish this had felt a tad more original.
Henriette E.
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“I live among the hardcovers
stacked in piles higher than Everest
because it is easier to feel
through fictional characters
the loss
the love
the heartbreak
the tragedy
it all comes at once
and then it is all gone
with the close of the cover

-from the comfort of my bedroom”
Jessica Robinson
May 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry, my-library
If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a thousand times: I just don’t think modern poetry is my thing.

2/5 stars.

If this type of poetry hits you right in the stomach, awesome! That’s great. I’m truly happy for you. But what happened to the poetry that was so saturated in beautifully strung together metaphors that it was practically dripping off the page? I miss those days. I miss that poetry. If this works for you, that’s wonderful. To each his/her own. Personally I found this entirely underwhelming
Unity
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a great collection of poetry and I enjoyed most of it. Most of the poems that claimed there was no damsel in distress really resonated with me but for the most part it was poems referencing relationships and words and how both affect people.

"I heard the footsteps of my fathers steel-toed boots as he left before the sun had risen and I thought for a moment that I took for granted how hard he works
How dedicated he is."
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
we read|write poetry
on the internet
and then publish e|books

-so that we can be on Goodreads
Remy
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The poetry was well written and moving! I enjoyed the brief read. Really, this is a 3.5 but it’s worth the read.
Ashley
In the 10 minutes it took me to read this book I realized that this new tumbler style poetry is not for me. I don't get the appeal to a one-three line "poem" that is pretty much just a statement. If this is considered modern poetry then I probably will stick to old school poets who actually write a full poem, not a one liner.

I also didn't really enjoy any of these poems. I think there was only three I actually liked and those were the ones that were more than just two lines and actually had the
Jerry
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Cris Anne Imperial
“Falling for you was like rereading my favorite book.” And reading this book was like falling all over again. I loved the huge amount of honesty etched in this book. True, I was not get able to highlight a lot of lines in here but I liked that this book is not trying too hard. It’s not trying to be a deep, melancholic bunch of page. It just tells a story - a beautiful, sad one, that is. I’m glad to have found another author who has been so much in order to write in this beautiful way. I’m excite ...more
Krystal Summerhill
I like the simplicity and short length of these poems. Quick and to the point. No drawn out metaphors or similies. Which I really appreciated because a lot of poetry collections tend to overdo it and draw it out to the point I just find myself skimming and not really taking anything in. But this book was nice and moving and I flew through it in less than an hour.
Hope to read more stuff from this author
✰ diana ✰
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
I haven't read many poetry collections to compare this one to something better but even like that I know that this isn't the best thing in the world. It was enjoyable, it was not mind-blowing. The poems were very simple and there was a variety of themes like getting out of an abusive relationship, reading, insomnia, and even death. I like the first part, the nightmares, better than the second half, the dreams.
Yep, that's all I have to say.
“When we were younger we fought with our fists but now we have discovered deadlier weapons -words” 4 likes
“One word is all it takes to erase the word “Stranger” -hello” 2 likes