Start by marking “in the absence of the sun” as Want to Read:
in the absence of the sun

in the absence of the sun

in the absence of the sun is a poetry collection that explores our midnight thoughts--the "nightmares" and "dreams" that haunt us when we are unable to sleep. This collection takes you through a night of insomnia, ruminating on ideas of self-doubt, loss, and hope for the future. ...more
Published June 24th 2017

To ask other readers questions about in the absence of the sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about in the absence of the sun

Start your review of in the absence of the sun
Whitney Atkinson

i’ve been doing this thing where i try a few pages of poetry and if i dont get captured i stop reading, but this one grabbed me and i read the entire thing in like 10 minutes.

Needless to say, it’s a very concise collection. It’s like a hybrid between salt by nayyirah waheed and the princess saves herself in this one by amanda lovelace. the themes throughout it are about getting out of abusive relationships, insomnia, loneliness, reading, feminism, and empowerment as a human being in ge
Alexa Weiss
basic

This book

Reads

Like my tumblr page

Circa 2010.

No but seriously it’s trying a little hard. 20 year old me would have probably gotten a piece from this tattooed on me.
McKenna
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am an avid reader but I am ashamed to say that I have never really seen the draw to poetry. That being said, when I saw a local student wrote this and got it published, I had to pick it up. Reading through this was like enjoying a little dessert here and there throughout my day. I took my time reading through it and I genuinely loved every piece. I finished it over a few months ago now and I still find myself thinking of particular lines. I have it displayed on my shelf as well and frequently ...more
Emma
Sep 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Falling for you
was like rereading
my favorite book

Even though this is quite a short poetry collection it had its moments and there a few poems that resonated with me, like the one I quoted at the beginning of this review. If you enjoy reading this kind of free-verse poems, then I recommend you give this collection a try. Plus, it's very quick to read, it will take you less than 20 minutes.
Ashley Marsh
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
I think this new tumblr poetry getting published thing is just not for me. I didn’t find any of this in any way moving or inspiring. In the six minutes it took me to read this I found myself bored to tears, wishing for the end. I would give this one star based on quality, but, as I went into this knowing that this particular brand of poetry is not my thing, I added a star, because I really didn’t read this with the intention of hating it. I read it to give this modern poetry another chance. Unfo ...more
Lia is reading
Dec 26, 2020 rated it liked it
"That i have scars so long,
so deep,
you may never find
the ends of them"

otro libro de poesía mas
Alice (Married To Books)
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, read-in-2019
Put your hands up if you have insomnia here *nervously puts up her hand* Well, I enjoyed this collection a great deal. Selection of simple yet beautiful poetry about dreams and nightmares, sleeping and living. Glad I found this on KU!
Nicole (Let's Talk Books)
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautiful poetry filled with heart and honesty.
Fizah(Books tales by me)
Oct 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-read
Heart touching 🖤
Ashley
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Another book in the Atticus vein i.e. tumblr/twitter/instagram poetry. 13 year old me probably would have loved this. I used to be more generous when rating these types of books, but honestly I’ve reached my limit.
Morgan Nikola-Wren
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I can't believe I'm the first person leaving a review for this here! This writer is a bright, young spark of a human who offers us such clever, hard-hitting lines as "you stole my breath so you could stop holding yours" and a brave candor, showing itself especially in the poem, "Things that Make Me Unlovable." This book is a delight. I just wish a great many of the poems were longer.

Looking forward to snatching up the next collection that Curtis releases.
Rachel Nicole Wagner
Good collection

This was a pretty good collection of poetry. The only reason I’m giving it three stars is because I couldn’t identify with a lot of the cynical-ness at the beginning, however, the closer I got to the end; the more I liked the poems. Good job!

Xo,
Rach
Rehan Abd Jamil
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Learn to take a compliment with grace even if you don't believe it. i love this :) ...more
mar📖
Dec 12, 2020 rated it liked it
"Falling for you was like rereading my favorite book." ...more
Jessica Robinson
May 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: my-library, poetry
If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a thousand times: I just don’t think modern poetry is my thing.

2/5 stars.

If this type of poetry hits you right in the stomach, awesome! That’s great. I’m truly happy for you. But what happened to the poetry that was so saturated in beautifully strung together metaphors that it was practically dripping off the page? I miss those days. I miss that poetry. If this works for you, that’s wonderful. To each his/her own. Personally I found this entirely underwhelming
irene
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
2.5/5.

(reading collections of poetry to achieve my reading challenge.😂)

Favs quotes:

Some people were just designed to be
destructive

That flicker in his eyes,
the one you thought was love,
turned out to be hell and chaos.
Bri
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018, poetry
I really expected to enjoy this, but I ended up feeling like I had read these poems many times before.
Benjamin Alexandre
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I accept poetry collections recommendations!

If possible something not romantic since I DNF that kind of poetry haha
Kelly H
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Poetry, poetry, poetry. When thinking about books, recently, this is the only genre that has entered my mind. I was very late to the craze, so I feel hungry to read all of the most popular poetry books there are. After reading my first poetry book, I was reminded that not every book has to be long and dreadful and boring and analyzed. So, the next step for me was picking up "In the Absence of the Sun."

The theme of this poetry collection is well, when the sun is not shining, all of the thoughts t
Cari
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Every time I review a book of poetry, I feel it's necessary to point out that I'm in no way trying to diss the poet's artistic talent if I give a low or mediocre rating. The rating I give is purely derivative of the feelings inspired in me by the poet's words.

in the absence of the sun is a compilation of very short poems that were pleasant to read but didn't exactly inspire any deep feelings or moods, thus this was just an 'okay' reading experience for me.

Here are a few lines that stood out to
Beetle The Bard
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this all in one sitting. So good! My family loves writing poetry, so I decided to read some. I only knocked the star off because some of the poems, to me, were too crowded and busy. I haven’t read much poetry, so after a few collections I’ll get a better rating system lol.
Amanda Frontera
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a great book of poems! I loved each and every one of them!!!
Arnold
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing first book by Ms. Curtis. Her poems took me through a range of emotions from laughter to tears. She creates an incredible picture with her words. I can’t recommend it enough!!!
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
See this review and more on Books and Ladders!

Actual Rating: 3.5*

This was a fairly solid debut poetry collection; however, it did feel similar to others that I've read before. That's not necessarily a bad thing (as I quite enjoyed those), I just wish this had felt a tad more original.
Katelyn
Dec 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
Maybe this just wasn’t for me. Very surface level.
Henriette Elise
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“I live among the hardcovers
stacked in piles higher than Everest
because it is easier to feel
through fictional characters
the loss
the love
the heartbreak
the tragedy
it all comes at once
and then it is all gone
with the close of the cover

-from the comfort of my bedroom”
Unity
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a great collection of poetry and I enjoyed most of it. Most of the poems that claimed there was no damsel in distress really resonated with me but for the most part it was poems referencing relationships and words and how both affect people.

"I heard the footsteps of my fathers steel-toed boots as he left before the sun had risen and I thought for a moment that I took for granted how hard he works
How dedicated he is."
Kati shelfmadewoman
Apr 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
The synopsis drew me in and I was VERY excited to read this piece by a young female poet about insomnia and thoughts during the night.

But it wasn’t about insomnia or nightmares or dreaming. It was (I hate myself for saying this) a bad Rupi Kaur collection.

One or two of the pieces were okay enough. But we’re missing craft and depth.

That being said, I think this (very young) writer has potential! And if she was reading this, I would say, keep going! I want to see the other things you write!
Aaron
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
we read|write poetry
on the internet
and then publish e|books

-so that we can be on Goodreads
Sháy The Obscure Bookworm
2.5 stars- I... don't even know what to say about this. There were parts I liked, but it could've been worded differently. It lacked the effort. It's like, "I wanna write a book, but I don't wanna put in the effort". I mean, yeah, some of this stuff was trying to hard to be all poetic, and others was just basic. Stuff that you would say to a person. This book didn't wow me. All in all, she had the ideas for it that could have made it great, but didn't execute it right. If I would've read this wh ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• 2am Thoughts
  • bare roots
  • For The Broken

News & Interviews

“When we were younger we fought with our fists but now we have discovered deadlier weapons -words” 8 likes
“Empathy tugs lightly on my shirt sleeve and gently whispers in my ear, “they are struggling too” 4 likes