Start by marking “I Did a Bad Thing: Now It’s Back to Haunt Me” as Want to Read:
I Did a Bad Thing: Now It’s Back to Haunt Me

I Did a Bad Thing: Now It’s Back to Haunt Me

'Utterly compulsive' Amazon reviewer. From the #1 bestselling author of While My Eyes Were Closed.

Sarah Roberts used to be good. Then she did something bad. Very bad. Now, years later, she's living a good life. She works as a local newspaper reporter and lives with her saintly boyfriend Jonathan. She has no reason to think her guilty past will ever catch up with her. Until

Published July 18th 2017 by Quercus (first published October 18th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about I Did a Bad Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Did a Bad Thing

Sophie Worgan
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in two days! It was really easy to read, even though it jumps from one year to another on each chapter. I was almost shouting at Sarah to get with Nick even though I should of felt sorry for Jonathan. I felt really happy after reading the book, definitely recommend for a quick pick me up!
Rachel
May 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't say anything bad about this book, I really enjoyed reading it! A great storyline, no boring bits, lots of laughs, a few tears, my kinda book :)
PrettyFlamingo
This is Linda Green’s debut novel, and a good debut it is, though that doesn’t mean it is perfect. I personally preferred one of her later books, Things I Wish I’d Known and the main issue for me with this one is that I couldn’t take to any of the characters. The main two characters, Nick and Sarah, are amoral, treat people disrespectfully and their partners are shallow and preachy respectively. The only characters I liked were Sarah’s neighbour Najma, Joan from work, and Colin the Big Issue sel ...more
Lisa
Jan 29, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, shite, 2008
Anastasia Adams
Jun 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I am still speechless by the fact how good this book actually is. Before reading the book I looked and these reviews and really wasn't expecting the story to be all that great. I would agree with the comments made by the fact that the book is very simple and almost too predictable, but the connection between Nick and Sarah is too great to miss out on. I am give it 4 out of 5 stars.
Ann
I hate this book, not for the storyline, which in the most part was good, but for the obnoxious and vile lead female protagonist Sarah. She pissed me off from the first page, whilst talking about the present. The past Sarah was fun. Shit happens, lives fall to shit. We get it.

This book made me cry tears of anger that should have been tears of sympathy, compassion and empathy of a pain I know is all to real. The way she wrote it brought back too many unhappy and heartbreaking memories.

I didn't
Catherine
Apr 03, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing
Having just finished the Histories of Herodotus and not feeling like moving onto Iain Banks yet I picked up the first chick-litty thing I could see on my shelf. Given that book was a random addition to Mount Toobie rather than a conscious choice there's some spookily familiar stuff in there - not least a meeting in the Windmill pub on Spon Street, OBCZ and home of Coventry Bookcrossers' monthly Tuesday night meet-ups.

Sarah has indeed done a bad thing, but is not guilty of the others she is punis
Abi Holligan
Mar 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Was hard to get into at first but once Nick came into it omg it was so sad and funny, especially with nick only having on one sock and sayin it was the new trend lmao cmon it was obvious!
Nicola Atkinson
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoying reading this book
Izzati Farzana
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robin
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it
My 3 star instead of 4 for this particular novel is based on my feeling that Linda Green was not as comfortable with this one as her others. it seems to jerk a little, rather than smoothly taking the protagonists' views and melding them into a terrific, well balanced novel. It might be because in this one she is dealing with a number of difficult topics, and the nuances that are necessary for dealing with these are not as readily available to a fiction writer as a non-fiction writer.

Where a non
Cheryl Lomas
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really didn't like this book. Sarah the main character was such a selfish person who ultimately when it came down to it only thought about her happiness. Her poor boyfriend Jonathan was so nice and worthy (if a little wet) ! He certainly didn't deserve her at all. Nick wasn't much better either ! A long novel that could have been wrapped up in a 100 less pages. Sorry just didn't enjoy it at all !
Zoë
Jun 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
First book I'm actually writing a review for because it made me angry.

The main character Sarah is pathetic; "oh no a man might not love me I can't eat I spilt spaghetti sauce on me it's a physical representation of how my soul feels, oh wait this poor girl I know has anorexia maybe I should eat even though I'm sooooo tormented"

Other low reviews explain it better than me but none of the emotions or relationships felt real; in summary the book is entirely forced, cliche and crass.
Danielle Dent
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Not up to Linda Greens usual standards if I'm honest. There was no intrigue I already knew what had happened with Nick and Sarah's relationship so the time hops didn't really grip me. The book itself was well written and I was rooting for Nick and Sarah but there wasn't much really to the story overall.
Tanja
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Though it's very very well written, I'm a bit disappointed. I expected a big revelation as to what the "bad thing" was, that this was more of a thriller like other books I read from Linda, but it wasn't, it was basically a love story. Too bad, because it had loads of potential, more than just the tree stars I can give it.
Danielle Ranger
Oh wow, this was disappointing. I loved after I'm gone by the same author so I was hoping this lived up to the standard set by that. Such a let down.

Unlikable characters, slow story but the writing wasn't bad.
Plum-crazy
Entertaining chick-lit. Sarah made a mistake....a bad mistake...about 10 years ago & now that dreadful deed has come back to haunt her. The story moves between past & present & I found it both amusing & entertaining.

Mo Fanning
It failed to hold my attention. The formatting of the ebook didn't help - wide line spacing suggesting gaps in the timeline where there were none. Ultimately though, too little happened to hook me in and I couldn't see or feel the characters. That said, I am sure it appeals to many others.
Debbie
Dec 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lighthearted but enjoyable read
Lucy-Ann
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing

The second Linda Green book I've read and another winner with me. I love how she writes. Great story and characters. Can't wait for the next boom I choose of hers.
Renita D'Silva
Thrilling and tense
Marcia
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
I really didn't like the characters at all. I would recommend other Linda Green books over this one, particularly the Marriage Mender
charlie
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Brilliant

Loved every page and couldn't put it down..great storyline that keeps you guessing until the end glad the ending is not dissapointing
J Heyes
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fabulous

As always,love the writers style and the magical way you are drawn into the characters lives. A real journey of hopes and fears , with a few morale dilemmas thrown in.
Lucy Amy Pink
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
As usual with Linda Green, warming, easy read. A bit predictable though.
Marlene Bate
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Just ok

I thought I would enjoy this more due to the hype, but it was just OK.
Good story and I liked the time hops, but it was quite predictable in the happy ending.
Natalie
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my few 'go to' books. I've read it probably 40+ times and still enjoy it every time, as I love seeing how the story unfolds.

The main character, Sarah, is easy to identify with, both in present day and flashback (the story alternates between present day and back to when she 'did a bad thing'). The love interest, Nick, is the perfect man for this type of book; good-looking, funny, caring, but real, not someone who is portrayed as perfect.

The storyline is fantastically realistic, not
Zoe
Aug 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The front cover is decieving. You think you are picking up a cheesy chick-lit where the reader breaks up with a boyfriend and then continues down a path of dating disasters and dappy moments. Instead - you feel Sarah's pain. Its raw, its realistic and its dark. I totally didn't exect that. I think the front cover and title doesn't match this fantastic drama (because that is what I feel this is).

Admittedly I was a little bored at first with the politics waffling - but I actually think that was t
Matilda
Dec 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I did a bad thing is the type of story that you read while on holiday. its a fluff piece, not moving or memorable. that being said it is still enjoyable.
what I liked about the book was the revealing of the history between Sarah and nick, and the contrast of past Sarah and current Sarah and how Nick plays a roll in her personality change.
Redfox5
Seemed to take a bit of getting into. I liked Sarah but I wouldn't have been beating myself up with guilt about the whole vote thing for years. I didn't like Jonathan at all. I could not be with someone like that. I didn't like Nick much either. He was just a cad. I would have chucked them both and looked for someone better. Not a boring book but not an amazing one either.

• Lost for Words
  • It's a Kind of Magic
  • Heaven Sent
  • In the Name of God
  • It's Not All About You, Calma!
  • Bang, Bang, You're Dead!
  • It's A 50/50 Thing
  • The Perfect Man
  • Love Letters
  • The Terrace
  • Confetti Confidential (Isabel Bookbinder #3)
  • Amy's Honeymoon
  • Do you want to know a secret
  • The Birthday Party
  • Lizzie Jordan's Secret Life
  • Cherry Heaven
  • Friends, Lovers and Other Indiscretions
  • The Girls' Guide to Homemaking
I was born in North London in 1970 and brought up in Hertfordshire. I wrote my first novella, the Time Machine, aged eight, shortly after which I declared that my ambition was to have a novel published (I could have been easy on myself and just said ‘to write a novel’ but no, I had to consign myself to years of torture and rejections). I was frequently asked to copy out my stories for the classroo ...more
“me something else to think” 0 likes