Start by marking “Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries, #4)” as Want to Read:
Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries, #4)

Exit Strategy

(The Murderbot Diaries #4)

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  35,668 ratings  ·  3,522 reviews
Murderbot wasn’t programmed to care. So, its decision to help the only human who ever showed it respect must be a system glitch, right?

Having traveled the width of the galaxy to unearth details of its own murderous transgressions, as well as those of the GrayCris Corporation, Murderbot is heading home to help Dr. Mensah—its former owner (protector? friend?)—submit evidence
Published October 2nd 2018 by Tor.com

To ask other readers questions about Exit Strategy, please sign up.
Igor Koyfman You have to read them in order or you won't understand a thing. Murderbot goes through numerous modifications and upgrades that make absolutely no sen…moreYou have to read them in order or you won't understand a thing. Murderbot goes through numerous modifications and upgrades that make absolutely no sense if you haven't followed the series from the start. The good news is it only takes a couple of hours to read each one.(less)

·  35,668 ratings  ·  3,522 reviews

Start your review of Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries, #4)
carol.
"I had a complex emotional reaction. A whole new burst of neural connections blossomed. Oh right, I often have complex emotional reactions which I can't easily interpret."

Murberbot continues its adventures, and exploring the learning curve of what it means to be a Murderbot. Absolutely solid balance between planning, action, and dialogue in this installment.

"It was very dramatic, like something out of a historical adventure serial. Also correct in every aspect except for all the facts, like some
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction, arc
4+ stars, pushing 4.5. This fourth novella wraps up the initial set of the adventures of Murderbot. Review first posted on Fantasy Literature:

Murderbot, the snarky, introverted cyborg hero of Martha Wells’ THE MURDERBOT DIARIES series, returns from its trip to Milu, the deserted terraforming facility in space. The cyborg Security Unit ― which has committed the unprecedented crime of hacking its “governor” that required it to obey orders ― was searching on Milu for additional evidence against th
Karl
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ms. Martha Wells latest installment of the “Murderbot Diaries” is volume number four, reportedly the last of the ‘diaries’; this one is titled “Exit Strategy”. For those that have read any of this amazing series, already know that murerbot is not really a bot (robot) or technically a murderer. He is a highly augmented human who is gainfully employed as a security unit. He guards the lives of those who hire him.

Not only is ‘He’ highly intelligent ‘He’ is also personal and is burdened with empathy
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

Murderbot/Rin is the best!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Nataliya
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-reads, favorites
“I don’t want to be human.”
“That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.”
And so, my friends, we have arrived at the conclusion of Murderbot novella series - the four stories that made sure that what seems like every other word out of my mouth over the last week has been ‘Murderbot’. And this conclusion is g
Elle (ellexamines)
It was very dramatic, like something out of a historical adventure serial. Also correct in every aspect except for all the facts, like something out of a historical adventure serial.

Amazing. As always.

I’ve written a full review for the Murderbot series before, so I guess the biggest thing I have to say about this conclusion novella is that it sticks to everything it has already succeeded at. This series is… so much fun, and also one of my favorite examples of playing with tropes I’ve
Kevin Kuhn
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
This is novella four in the Murderbot Diaries series. It wraps up an overarching storyline but leaves plenty of possibilities to continue following the exploits of the delightful, if antisocial and introverted, Murderbot. I enjoyed the episodic structure of this series, but it does pay a price in the form of slow starts. Author Wells is forced to cover background events and some repeat worldbuilding in order to catch up new readers, or readers who have paused in between novellas.

Like “Rogue Pro
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
Niki's Narrative Novella Review [Part 4/4]: I entered into this final installment a little worried. For the character, for my emotions, for that heightened expectations that comes from reaching the end of something truly fantastic and hoping the quality holds up. I was not disappointed. Exit Strategy had the perfect balance of all the amazing elements that make this series so special. Did I shed a tear at some point during this book? I can’t remember. It might have been a combination of laughing ...more
Manuel Antão
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

Emotions Galore: “Exit Strategy” by Martha Wells

“’I don’t want to be human.’
[...]
Dr. Mensah said: [...] ‘We tend to think that because a bot or a construct looks human, its ultimate goal would be to become human.’
‘That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.’”

In “Exit Strategy” by Martha Wells

SecUnits are sentient constructs, part machine, part organic, largely human in form and created in part with human tissue, that are owned by compani
Beverly
Dec 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Exit strategies are what SecUnits do best, next to fighting. They move very quickly and think very quickly, before humans know what is going on, the SecUnit will have packed you and your bag to safety.

Murderbot has just found out that his favorite human, if it had a favorite human, has been kidnapped by the malignant corporation who tried to kill her before. Murderbot may have been the inadvertent cause of this dastardly deed. Murderbot is extremely perturbed. You don't want to upset this extre
Richard Derus
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindled
This is the point in the series when Murderbot comes in from the cold. Nothing about this read is emotionally easy because Murderbot is so confused. Until the organic memories can be fully integrated into its systems, emotions will keep flooring it. Author Wells gets all five stars for this entry in the series because that integration is not an easy thing for Murderbot, or in fact for the organic being reading its diary.

(Possibly I was overthinking this. I do that; it’s the anxiety that comes wi
Montzalee Wittmann
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Exit Strategy by Martha Wells is book 4 in the series. I read the first one but have listened to the rest. Since book one, I picture the unisex murderbot more female than male but in book two it seems more male.
Either way, it is certainly has more humanity than most humans. The story is peppered with humor, lots of action, adventure, corporate intrigue, and fantastic tech busting from our favorite murderbot! It is a super hacker on two artificial legs! A wild ride through the universe with one
Robin (Bridge Four)
Re-reading right before Network Effect comes out on Tuesday 5/5. So happy to hang with Murderbot again.

Holds up well. Totally excited to jump into a new story tomorrow.

Original Review

Murderbot, so far has been un unexpected treat. I love the journey I’ve taken with the Cyborg security unit gone rogue that for the most part just wants to be left alone to watch media, but instead gets dragged into protecting the stupid humans who seem to be in danger all the time. Even more surprising is how It is
Phrynne
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gosh I have enjoyed this series so much.

In Exit Strategy Murderbot gets himself into even more trouble than usual and practically the whole book is action as he escapes from seemingly impossible situations and rescues various people against all odds. As the books have gone along he has increased his capabilities with every event and by now he can apparently control whole space stations with his hacking abilities.

I suppose I should really say 'it', not he, but by now Murderbot seems practically
J.L.   Sutton
Oct 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
"I was having an emotion, and I hate that. I’d rather have nice safe emotions about shows on the entertainment media; having them about things real-life humans said and did just led to stupid decisions."

The Murderbot Diaries Wiki | Fandom

Murderbot has always been really interesting, but in Martha Wells' Exit Strategy it is also a much more well-rounded character. Once again, Murderbot finds itself protecting stupid humans when it would rather be watching one of its favorite space soap operas. These humans include some of the team
Gary
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Everything comes full circle for Murderbot in the conclusion to Wells’ quadrilogy of novellas. The GrayCris Corporation takes Doctor Mensah hostage, believing her responsible for the difficulties Murderbot has caused them. Murderbot must affect a rescue of its friend without giving up the goods it has on GrayCris and while almost certainly walking into a trap. Wells weaves together all the elements that have made this series such a rousing success: caustic humor, lightning-paced and suspenseful ...more
Melindam

“By tricky I meant I was getting an average of an 85 percent chance of failure and death, and it was only that low because my last diagnostic said my risk assessment module was wonky. (I know, that explains a lot about me.)”

Satisfaction level: 100% - Still reeling from impact!
Content
Bradley
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This latest and perhaps last Diary wraps up a very interesting time for our wonderful Security Bot.

Who knew that going completely rogue, hacking his/her own programming, and calling no shots but his/her own could be so HAIRY?

Oh, wait... EVERYONE knew that. :)

I know I just got done hacking my own programming and just went through the exact same issues as our favorite Murderbot. Guilt. Emotion. Friendship. Yeah. I hate all those things, too.

But at least I have my SF soaps! Soaps make everything go
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
I want the All Systems Red Murderbot back. They were much wonderfully grumpier, deliciously funnier and way more scrumptiously misanthropic than this one here.

Also, slow-paced, boring plot is slow-paced and boring.

Also also, the idea behind this series would have made a Slightly Very Cool Standalone (SVCS™) but stretching it to oblivion this way makes everything feel watered down as fish and doesn't do the very refreshing, original concept justice. At all.

But hey, I am naught but a former bre
Spencer Orey
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A bit of a slow build until it turns into a lot of excitement.

It's as excellent as any of the other books. What a series. Looking forward to the novel!
Milda Page Runner
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well, this was awesome.
Can't wait to see my favourite Murderbot again in the full length novel.
Gavin
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This was a fun conclusion to Martha Wells The Murderbot Diaries novella series.

I'm a big fan of Well's capitalist future gone awry sci-fi world and of her memorable and fantastic lead character, the security unit, Murderbot! Our favourite grumpy, socially anxious, security bot is this series only POV character and that really works as Murderbot is a truly unique character with an engaging voice. That unique voice allows Wells the ability to get both humour and touching emotional moments into t
Choko
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
*** 4.44 ***

"...“I don’t want to be human.” Dr. Mensah said, “That’s not an attitude a lot of humans are going to understand. We tend to think that because a bot or a construct looks human, its ultimate goal would be to become human.” “That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.”..."
― Martha Wells, Exit Strategy
Lata
2020-04: I'm definitely giving Murderbot all the big display surfaces it wants. And not looking at it while I tell it how much I enjoy spending time with it.

2018-11: 5 big display surfaces for this wrap-up of the story started in the first Murderbot Diaries story.
Murderbot reunites with the team he was protecting in book one, only to find that GrayCris is holding Dr. Mensah hostage. Murderbot, cranky and super sarcastic as always, must find a way to deal with this new situation. Which it does,
Daye
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
me: I would die for Murderbot
Murderbot, probably: NOT IF I CAN HELP IT

5 out of 5 beautiful (stressful) stars. I think this novella really cemented the fact that The Murderbot Diaries is one of my absolute favourite sci-fi series of all time.

also, the og team is back in this one so it’s DOUBLE the fun (??) times

side note: if you haven’t already, I would highly, highly recommend searching up tumblr fanart of Murderbot. you won’t regret it
Alissa
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-ebooks
5 full stars. More, please.

I knew interpreting the emotional subtext in the speech and appearance of real humans was completely different from interpreting it in shows and serials. (For one thing, the shows and serials were trying to communicate accurately with the viewer. As far as I could tell, real humans usually didn’t know what the hell they were doing.)

HBalikov
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“So, you’re a SecUnit.” She made a half-shrug gesture I didn’t understand. “Is that … weird?” It was a complicated question with a simple answer. “Yes.”

The Security Robot, self-described as “Murderbot” is a deft creation by Wells. It has cut its “controller” ties, so it is its own boss. This is the fourth episode and Murderbot has developed some tricks to keep from being recognized as a rogue SecUnit is the world of humans and “augmented” humans. By Exit Strategy, it is trying to determine the b
Fiona
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Take it from Murderbot - just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

By this point in the series, you're either familiar with this work, or you need to turn right back around and start at number one. It's not that each of these books doesn't stand alone - they do - but you will be missing out on a fantastic series otherwise.

It seems fitting that this is the book I end the year on, so I will. And what a relief that, though this series of shorts is finished, we have a ful
Mir
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This may be my favorite Murderbot after the first one.
It was nice to see the Preservation gang again.
Justine
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novella, 2018-read
A fine conclusion to the story arc that began in All Systems Red. Murderbot is reunited with Dr. Mensah and others from the Preservation Survey Team much changed and approaching self-acceptance of personhood. That doesn't mean there is any less action in this one. The ride continues to be rough both physically and emotionally.

My only complaint about this series is that I think I would have preferred to read them all consecutively. They really are serial installments in a single story, and I feel
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Exit Strategy [TBD] 1 3 Mar 19, 2021 08:23AM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Exit Strategy [Oct 9, 2018] 10 38 Oct 12, 2018 09:20AM
New Murderbots discussion group! 1 17 Sep 17, 2018 08:57AM

• Harrow the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #2)
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan #1)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • The Haunting of Tram Car 015 (Fatma el-Sha’arawi #0.6)
  • The Last Emperox (The Interdependency, #3)
  • A Dead Djinn in Cairo (Fatma el-Sha’arawi #0.5)
  • The Empress of Salt and Fortune (The Singing Hills Cycle, #1)
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • Remote Control
  • A Desolation Called Peace (Teixcalaan, #2)
  • Record of a Spaceborn Few (Wayfarers #3)
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
  • The Consuming Fire (The Interdependency, #2)
  • Across the Green Grass Fields (Wayward Children, #6)
  • A Deadly Education (The Scholomance, #1)
Martha Wells has been an SF/F writer since her first fantasy novel was published in 1993, and her work includes The Books of the Raksura series, The Death of the Necromancer, the Fall of Ile-Rien trilogy, The Murderbot Diaries series, media tie-ins for Star Wars, Stargate: Atlantis, and Magic: the Gathering, as well as short fiction, YA novels, and non-fiction. She has won a Nebula Award, two Hug ...more

The Murderbot Diaries (6 books)
  • All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, #1)
  • Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2)
  • Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3)
  • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
  • Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries, #6)

Articles featuring this book

Here there be dragons, superheroes, aliens, and warlords. In the coming months, readers will get to return to Westeros and the All Souls...
“I was having an emotion, and I hate that.” 62 likes
“(Possibly I was overthinking this. I do that; it’s the anxiety that comes with being a part-organic murderbot. The upside was paranoid attention to detail. The downside was also paranoid attention to detail.)” 30 likes