Start by marking “Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries, #4)” as Want to Read:
Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries, #4)

Exit Strategy

(The Murderbot Diaries #4)

4.41  ·  Rating details ·  14,135 ratings  ·  1,636 reviews
The fourth and final part of the Murderbot Diaries series that began with All Systems Red.

Murderbot wasn’t programmed to care. So, its decision to help the only human who ever showed it respect must be a system glitch, right?

Having traveled the width of the galaxy to unearth details of its own murderous transgressions, as well as those of the GrayCris Corporation, Murderbo

Published October 2nd 2018 by Tor.com

To ask other readers questions about Exit Strategy, please sign up.
Igor Koyfman You have to read them in order or you won't understand a thing. Murderbot goes through numerous modifications and upgrades that make absolutely no…moreYou have to read them in order or you won't understand a thing. Murderbot goes through numerous modifications and upgrades that make absolutely no sense if you haven't followed the series from the start. The good news is it only takes a couple of hours to read each one.(less)

·  14,135 ratings  ·  1,636 reviews

Karl
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ms. Martha Wells latest installment of the “Murderbot Diaries” is volume number four, reportedly the last of the ‘diaries’; this one is titled “Exit Strategy”. For those that have read any of this amazing series, already know that murerbot is not really a bot (robot) or technically a murderer. He is a highly augmented human who is gainfully employed as a security unit. He guards the lives of those who hire him.

Not only is ‘He’ highly intelligent ‘He’ is also personal and is burdened with empathy
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, science-fiction
4+ stars, pushing 4.5. This fourth novella wraps up the initial set of the adventures of Murderbot. Review first posted on Fantasy Literature:

Murderbot, the snarky, introverted cyborg hero of Martha Wells’ THE MURDERBOT DIARIES series, returns from its trip to Milu, the deserted terraforming facility in space. The cyborg Security Unit ― which has committed the unprecedented crime of hacking its “governor” that required it to obey orders ― was searching on Milu for additional evidence against th
carol.
"I had a complex emotional reaction. A whole new burst of neural connections blossomed. Oh right, I often have complex emotional reactions which I can't easily interpret."

Murberbot continues its adventures, and exploring the learning curve of what it means to be a Murderbot. Absolutely solid balance between planning, action, and dialogue in this installment.

"It was very dramatic, like something out of a historical adventure serial. Also correct in every aspect except for all the facts, like some
Elise (TheBookishActress)
It was very dramatic, like something out of a historical adventure serial. Also correct in every aspect except for all the facts, like something out of a historical adventure serial.

Amazing. As always.

I’ve written a full review for the Murderbot series before, so I guess the biggest thing I have to say about this conclusion novella is that it sticks to everything it has already succeeded at. This series is… so much fun, and also one of my favorite examples of playing with tropes I’ve ever se
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
Niki's Narrative Novella Review [Part 4/4]: I entered into this final installment a little worried. For the character, for my emotions, for that heightened expectations that comes from reaching the end of something truly fantastic and hoping the quality holds up. I was not disappointed. Exit Strategy had the perfect balance of all the amazing elements that make this series so special. Did I shed a tear at some point during this book? I can’t remember. It might have been a combination of laughing ...more
Manuel Antão
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

Emotions Galore: “Exit Strategy” by Martha Wells

“’I don’t want to be human.’
[...]
Dr. Mensah said: [...] ‘We tend to think that because a bot or a construct looks human, its ultimate goal would be to become human.’
‘That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.’”

In “Exit Strategy” by Martha Wells

SecUnits are sentient constructs, part machine, part organic, largely human in form and created in part with human tissue, that are owned by compani
Phrynne
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5000-2019
Gosh I have enjoyed this series so much.

In Exit Strategy Murderbot gets himself into even more trouble than usual and practically the whole book is action as he escapes from seemingly impossible situations and rescues various people against all odds. As the books have gone along he has increased his capabilities with every event and by now he can apparently control whole space stations with his hacking abilities.

I suppose I should really say 'it', not he, but by now Murderbot seems practically
Montzalee Wittmann
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Exit Strategy by Martha Wells is book 4 in the series. I read the first one but have listened to the rest. Since book one, I picture the unisex murderbot more female than male but in book two it seems more male.
Either way, it is certainly has more humanity than most humans. The story is peppered with humor, lots of action, adventure, corporate intrigue, and fantastic tech busting from our favorite murderbot! It is a super hacker on two artificial legs! A wild ride through the universe with one
Gary
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Everything comes full circle for Murderbot in the conclusion to Wells’ quadrilogy of novellas. The GrayCris Corporation takes Doctor Mensah hostage, believing her responsible for the difficulties Murderbot has caused them. Murderbot must affect a rescue of its friend without giving up the goods it has on GrayCris and while almost certainly walking into a trap. Wells weaves together all the elements that have made this series such a rousing success: caustic humor, lightning-paced and suspenseful ...more
Gavin
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This was a fun conclusion to Martha Wells The Murderbot Diaries novella series.

I'm a big fan of Well's capitalist future gone awry sci-fi world and of her memorable and fantastic lead character, the security unit, Murderbot! Our favourite grumpy, socially anxious, security bot is this series only POV character and that really works as Murderbot is a truly unique character with an engaging voice. That unique voice allows Wells the ability to get both humour and touching emotional moments into th
Milda Page Runner
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well, this was awesome.
Can't wait to see my favourite Murderbot again in the full length novel.
Robin (Bridge Four)
Murderbot, so far has been un unexpected treat. I love the journey I’ve taken with the Cyborg security unit gone rogue that for the most part just wants to be left alone to watch media, but instead gets dragged into protecting the stupid humans who seem to be in danger all the time. Even more surprising is how It is starting to form bonds with said humans.
“I was having an emotion, and I hate that.”

Dr. Mensah, one of the said humans that Murderbot might care about has been kidnapped detained
Bradley
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This latest and perhaps last Diary wraps up a very interesting time for our wonderful Security Bot.

Who knew that going completely rogue, hacking his/her own programming, and calling no shots but his/her own could be so HAIRY?

Oh, wait... EVERYONE knew that. :)

I know I just got done hacking my own programming and just went through the exact same issues as our favorite Murderbot. Guilt. Emotion. Friendship. Yeah. I hate all those things, too.

But at least I have my SF soaps! Soaps make everything go
Melindam
“(Possibly I was overthinking this. I do that; it’s the anxiety that comes with being a part-organic murderbot. The upside was paranoid attention to detail. The downside was also paranoid attention to detail.)”

“By tricky I meant I was getting an average of an 85 percent chance of failure and death, and it was only that low because my last diagnostic said my risk assessment module was wonky. (I know, that explains a lot about me.)”

Satisfaction level: 100% - Still reeling from impact! WOO-HOOO
C
Justine
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novella, 2018-read
A fine conclusion to the story arc that began in All Systems Red. Murderbot is reunited with Dr. Mensah and others from the Preservation Survey Team much changed and approaching self-acceptance of personhood. That doesn't mean there is any less action in this one. The ride continues to be rough both physically and emotionally.

My only complaint about this series is that I think I would have preferred to read them all consecutively. They really are serial installments in a single story, and I feel
Lata
5 big display surfaces for this wrap-up of the story started in the first Murderbot Diaries story.
Murderbot reunites with the team he was protecting in book one, only to find that GrayCris is holding Dr. Mensah hostage. Murderbot, cranky and super sarcastic as always, must find a way to deal with this new situation. Which it does, in its misanthropic, humourous and brilliant style.
I loved this whole series, and am so glad there's more Murderbot to come.
Veronique
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5*

“I don’t want to be human.”

What we hoped finally happens. Murderbot upon finding out that Dr Mensah and her team are in danger decides to come to the rescue.

Yes, this is a Space Opera kind of story with great action scenes, but ultimately it is Rin’s character that grabs you. Its self deprecation and snarky side are so relatable and likeable, but even more so is witnessing Its psychological and emotional development.

Trust Wells to give us a great ‘open’ resolution to this series of novella
Lindsay
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Murderbot has been striking out on its own for a couple of novellas now, but when it learns that its actions have caused trouble for Dr Mensah, everyone's favorite introverted killing machines does everything it can to get back to where it can to help out. Pretty soon it reunites with Mensah's crew in an effort to free her and defeat the evil GrayCris Corporation in the process.

Murderbot is wonderful. Renewing the contact with Mensah and her crew as the only humans who actually know it for what
Mir
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This may be my favorite Murderbot after the first one.
It was nice to see the Preservation gang again.
Mel (Epic Reading)
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-print
It appears this is the last (for now, written Feb 2019) of the Murderbot Diaries novellas from Martha Wells. The good news out of this is that we are getting a full length novel!! That's right a lot more Murderbot coming our way soon.

What can I tell you about this book... if you already liked the first three novellas you'll enjoy this one too. It brings our favourite bot full circle. Back to the company of the original crew in All Systems Red. Except this time they have the data to cause a sti
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/10/22/...

Exit Strategy closes out the Murderbot Diaries quartet of novellas, and while it’s a bit on the tame side compared to all that came before, I couldn’t have asked for a better ending to tie everything together. For those who have been on this crazy ride since the beginning, you will also be delighted to know this book takes us back to the beginning, to the event and people who started it all.

At the end of the last book, Mur
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
Oh, this was just perfection. It was the perfect ending for the series! Well, the mini series, at least. Cause you might have or might not have heard that there will be a Murderbot novel! The good news is that there is one. The bad news is that it most likely comes out in 2020.

Anyway, more about Exit Strategy though. Oh god, I am in love with this conclusion! I am not sure I have consistently rated nearly all the books in the series with 5 stars, but this is what it will be for Murderbot. Th
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I had a great time with this newest installment in the Murderbot Diaries series. After reading the previous three installments in the series, I knew that I was going to have to read about Murderbot's further adventures just as soon as I could. This is a novella length piece that could easily be read in a single evening. I do think that this series is best read in order since this newest entry touched on things that happened in previo
Andrea
A strong ending (outside a little lag in the centre).

There's going to be a novel to follow this, and I really really hope a large amount of it involves Gurathin/Murderbot interaction, but I suppose that's probably not too likely. They'd make a great buddy cop comedy.
Iryna *Book and Sword*
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 stars

I used to tell myself that I only like sci-fi books that don't have anything to do with actual space, flying ships and big gun battles. Well, I was wrong, apparently. I might not know my reading tastes as well as I think I do.
Rebooting......

MurderBot should just change its name to ICareALotBot, or LookAtAllTheseFeelingsBot.

Exit Strategy was an amazing addition to an already amazing series. BUT, book 5 better have ART in it or I riot.

Because you cannot just bring up ART in every si
Cathy
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
“WHEN I GOT BACK to HaveRatton Station, a bunch of humans tried to kill me. Considering how much I’d been thinking about killing a bunch of humans, it was only fair.“

If I hadn‘t been so tired last night, I would have read this in one sitting. Very good. Not as fast paced as the last one, a little lighter on humour, but still full of the expected snark and eye-rolling. Nice ending to this story arc. It lacked a little of the suspense and tension of the previous novellas in my opinion, but it was
Ashley
And the final Murderbot adventure is over.

Well, not final, I guess, since there is going to be a Murderbot novel in 2020 (hooray!), but final FOR NOW. The initial arc of Murderbot becoming a person has concluded.

We come full circle in Exit Strategy, with Murderbot traveling back to rescue Dr. Mensah, and teaming up with the initial group of humans from All Systems Red. Murderbot's irrational grudge against Gurathin continues to give me life:
"I don’t want to be a pet robot."
"I don’t think any
Laura Tenfingers
A pretty good ending to this series of books. Murderbot's quips are still the highlight for me but the adventure and tying up of loose ends was also good.

I think I would have enjoyed it more as a single book instead of four novellas. Meeting Murderbot in the opening book was so hillarious that later books had a hard act to follow. Had it been one uninterrupted narrative the great intro would have carried me to the end.
daisy
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
4-4.5* I think. RTC!
I thought this was the final instalment but apparently there's a full-length novel coming out some time in 2020? Sign me up!
Robyn
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
A satisfying end to Murderbot’s adventure.
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Exit Strategy [Oct 9, 2018] 10 35 Oct 12, 2018 09:20AM
New Murderbots discussion group! 1 14 Sep 17, 2018 08:57AM

• The Lady Astronaut of Mars
  • After Atlas (Planetfall, #2)
  • On a Red Station, Drifting
  • Beyond the Empire (The Indranan War, #3)
  • The Flowers of Vashnoi (Vorkosigan Saga, #14.1)
  • Extracurricular Activities
  • Miniatures: The Very Short Fiction of John Scalzi
  • Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 132 (Clarkesworld Magazine #132)
  • Alliance (Linesman, #2)
  • Medusa Uploaded (The Medusa Cycle, #1)
  • Uncanny Magazine Issue 15: March/April 2017
  • Rapture (Bel Dame Apocrypha #3)
  • She Commands Me and I Obey (Imperial Radch #0.6)
  • The Gathering Edge (Liaden Universe, #20)
  • Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 124 (Clarkesworld Magazine, #124)
  • The Kindly Ones
  • Latchkey (Archivist Wasp Saga, #2)
  • Lightspeed Magazine, June 2014: Women Destroy Science Fiction! Special Issue
Martha Wells has written many fantasy novels, including The Books of the Raksura series (beginning with The Cloud Roads), the Ile-Rien series (including The Death of the Necromancer) as well as YA fantasy novels, short stories, media tie-ins (for Star Wars and Stargate: Atlantis), and non-fiction. Her most recent fantasy novel is The Harbors of the Sun in 2017, the final novel in The Books of the ...more

The Murderbot Diaries (5 books)
  • All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, #1)
  • Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2)
  • Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3)
  • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
“I was having an emotion, and I hate that.” 19 likes
“It would have been hilarious if I wasn’t about to die. It was still a little hilarious.” 11 likes