Start by marking “Harmonies of War” as Want to Read:
Harmonies of War

Harmonies of War

Thousands of years ago, the Ancients bestowed Nine Energies of Magic to a small group of humans known as Descendants. Now, at a time when Descendants have become widely feared, many of them choose a false sanctuary fighting for the evil King Zagan of Sharnin. With the Queen of Thurnadan poisoning her husband's mind in a quest to prove her crown, the sudden threat of her ki ...more
Published June 27th 2017 by Soldier Bear Entertainment

To ask other readers questions about Harmonies of War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harmonies of War

Start your review of Harmonies of War
Andreea Daniela
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of “Harmonies of war” from the author, but that will not affect my thoughts on the book.

First of all, I would like to say that this is a debut novel. I always have this feeling that even though the description might be epic, regarding debut authors, the writing style and logic of the story might lack due to experience. I was pleasantly surprised that it was not the case with this book.

If you like Throne of Glass, Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones I c
Beth McCallum
Jul 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Thank you to Ruby for sending me an ARC copy of this.

I was really excited to start this book. The concept sounded awesome! However, I quickly knew this wasn't the book for me.

My main issue was the writing style and it bothered me from the first page. Throughout the book it is very dry. Fitzgerald is always telling you what's happening, rather than showing. This led to a lack of drama and intrigue in the novel which was sad because I thought the plot deserved that.
Linn
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
3,5 🌟
I received a review-copy of this book from the author, but that doesnt affect my thoughts and feelings about the book.

I really really liked it though! It was magical and thrilling, and also felt very refreshing in the way the world and the characters were created and written! And so many badass women, and men of course! One of the things I loved the most about it was that the Queen was the one with power, and the one ruling her Queendom! I want more Queendoms instead of Kingdoms in fictio
Kärt
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rhianwen.Reads
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
(This review is spoiler free)

I received this book from the author for an honest review. This review contains my honest opinion.

An enchanting and brilliantly crafted novel, following the war of rivalling kingdoms, an ancient prophecy and the darker side of magic.

This novel has an amazing concept that's well crafted, being both familiar to the fantasy genres expectations', while also delivering a unique and fresh spin.
Ruby Fitzgerald keeps a fast pace flow throughout the novel and doesn't wast
sanne_reads
A big thank you to Ruby Fitzgerald (the author) for providing me with an ARC of this book for an honest review. I enjoyed reading Harmonies of War. There were some interesting characters and an intriguing storyline. I do think there was happening too much in such a short novel, which made it hard to get invested. I also really don't like the cover art (sorry!).
There's definitely potential there for an epic series.
Paige Green
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Rating: 3/5

Genre: Fantasy

Recommended Age: 16+ (sex, violence, brutal deaths)

Pages: 287

Author: Ruby Fitzgerald

Amazon

I was asked to promote the sequel to this book: Descendants of War: Magic’s Demise by the author. All opinions are my own.

Harmonies of War follows a Queendom's twisted path of epic war and treacherous betrayal, fueled by magic. At a time when those who possess magic, the Descendants, are wildly feare
Ryley (Ryley Reads)
Thanks so much to the author for providing me with an e-ARC of this book for an honest review. As always, all opinions are my own.

Going into this book, I wasn't sure what to expect. It's been a while since I picked up a good ole fantasy and this one seemed to promise an interesting take with the addition of different magical elements.

The story follows a few characters but they all basically revolve around one storyline that features Aurora, who is unique because she has a
Dorothy
Feb 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book was sent to me by the author in exchange for an honest review. Here we go.

DNF @ 132/287. I tried to finish! I really did... It's not that the book was absolutely terrible, but I just don't think the writing or plot was for me.

Things I did like:
1. The magic system was interesting. I liked how the different abilities reveal themselves as tattoos on the magic wielder. I like how people usually only have 1-3 types, but our main character (Aurora) is OP and has
Jay
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book in return for an honest review, this does not my opinion in anyway and all of the following are my own words.

I sort of struggled to decide what to rate this. It wasn't a bad book, but iy wasn't great. Some good characters, some not so much, fairly unique plot that was excuted alright. Writing was good, a couple little issues that will be presumably be fixed in the final copy. Sadly there just wasn't anything that made it stand out as incredible. I woul
Nargis  Kalani
"The Scarlet Prophecy tells of a young woman, hair as red as flames, who will be chosen to receive all nine gifts of energy. And with all gifts, she will be more powerful than even the ancients were."

At first, i thought this book is the sequel to descendents of war: magic's demise but when I started reading, I discovered its the prequel to the book.

It was very slow paced in the beginning and I kinda forgot about it for a while because of the excitement of starting other books. Then I remembe
Kayleigh
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was kindly sent a copy of this book for review.

From reading what the book is about I thought it sounded very much like something I would enjoy. Unfortunately that wasn’t the case.

Although the premise of the story is interesting and has great potential, the writing felt stilted and was more about telling us what was happening rather than showing us. It didn’t really flow together and so didn’t hold my attention.

A lot was going on in a short amount of time and the constant switch from charact
Rosy Tandean
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I can't say I love this book, but as a debut novel Ruby's writing is great. There's a lot happening in this short book and I wish it were longer.
Kayla❤️
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved the entire story line of this book. It was a new and exciting world. An adventurous fantasy story with plenty of magic mixed in.
Evelyn
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, 2018, 2017-release
Thanks to the publisher for providing me this book!

I enjoyed the book, but I think if it would be longer it would have been better!
Full review: http://evelynreads.com/review-harmoni...
Cassandra
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Spoiler Free Review

Thank you Ruby (author) for sending me copy of your ARC in exchange for an honest review…. please note this does not alter or influence the way in which I write or grade my reviews

Here we go!
It took a few solid pages to really understand the storyline and what was actually happening and why, but once I did the book was very easy to read and follow. This book reminded me a lot of the cartoon series Avatar…. you know with the fire, water, earth and air benders? If yo

Jude
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 STARS, ACTUALLY

(I received a review copy in exchange for an honest review. This fact does not affect my review and opinions in any way.)

Truthfully, Harmonies of War surprised me in a good way! I have to admit, when I first saw the book I thought the cover was too plain and boring, and the title itself, although quite clever, did not appeal to me as a fantasy-filled book at all, so I wasn't really too enthusiastic to read it. The only thing that drew me to it was the s
Brittney Jenson
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I was really excited when Ruby reached out to me and asked if I'd be interested in reading her new book Harmonies of War (or HoW for short) The story follows the path of a number of characters as they pick sides, double deal and switch alliances during the war of all wars.

To make things even more interesting a handful of people are blessed (or cursed as some see it) with extra gifts. Gifts that allow them to heal, shape shift, control the elements, see the future, or even manipulate
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it
*won from giveaway*

I have given this book 3 stars because there were both positive and negative aspects to this novel. I'll start off with the negatives and end with the positives.

Negatives:
The writing style is very blunt and doesn't flow well at all.
There were a lot of typos or strangely worded sentences; a couple of sentences didn't make any sense at all.
The narrator often changed within a couple of sentences or a paragraph. Writing from multiple persp
Erica Odell
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars Actually
Harmonies of War is a fantasy novel revolving around magic, fear, loyalty (or lack there of), and betrayal. A fantasy book that does does not disappoint, but rather surprises you, with twists and turns in a plot full of love and manipulation.
For me, I can see inspiration deriving from Avatar the Last Airbender and Game of Thrones. One there are Descendants who have the energies of magic. Fire Sculptor, Water Weaver, Earth Grounder etc. Second there is a kingdom in w
Raye Wilson
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got on goodreads BECAUSE of this series, below is what I had to say about Magic’s Demise (first book in the series following this prequel). All I’ll add is, Fitzgerald’s got some great potential.

Soooo let me gush, just a little bit, but first- thank you to author Ruby Fitzgerald and Soldier Bear Entertainment for sending me an ebook copy of both Descendants and Harmonies of War! So generous! However, promise I’m not being paid, so yes, this review is entirely my own opinion. But... my opinion
Rebecka Wahl
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book but that does not affect this review in any way.

Harmonies of war is a book about magical people living with ordinary humans. Magic is split into nine energies, and some humans (called descendants) have an energy they can control. Aurora is a descendant that has powers beyond the normal descendants. According to a prophecy, she is the key to defeating the evil king Zagan.

I’ve always liked fantasy. But the last few years I haven’t found Fantasy books t
Andrzej Stasiuk
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, adult, magic
A truly amazing read. And did I mention that the plot is absolutely incredible? I’m relatively new to fantasy, but somehow “Harmonies of War” randomly fell into my hands when I started asking some friends and colleagues about their current reading lists so that I could expand my literary horizons and live vicariously through beautifully constructed storylines.

I was smitten by the main character, Aurora, a woman who possesses 9 different types of magic and has an ancient destiny she m
Kitkatreads
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
I recieved an arc of the book from the author, so thankyou Ruby!
However, this will not affect my review of the book :)

When i first recieved this book i was so excited since it was fantasy! and i absolutely enjoy reading fantasy books! Anything about witches, wizards, magic, royalty, knights, armies and magical worlds, i'm sold.
'Harmonies Of War' delivered everything i expected, i loved the world building especially. The author managed to create this fanatstical world which was
Amalia Cole
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
It is rare for me to finish a book in just two days, but I managed to do so with Harmonies of War by Ruby Fitzgerald.
Quite an easy fantasy read, but with enough plot twists and magic to keep me on my toes, I really enjoyed this book and it provided a great escape in just under three hundred pages.
In saying this, I would have loved even more detail and depth, as I feel like I just got a taste of who the characters were and what they could do. I would definitely be down for a prequel!
Sara Zaninelli
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I love you Eleanor. And somehow, love always seems to forgive."

This book is full of betrayals, misteries, prophecies and magic. Aurora is destined to have great power and to save the world from a terrible war, but this is not the only story we see. We can follow the stories of many characters linked to create a very interesting plot.

This book is really short, indeed I would have liked some parts to be longer and more detailed but this is just a prequel to the main instal
Elli Ackles
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Magical, refreshing, fast-paced read that can either be taken as a quick escape from reality or, if you care to pay a little more attention to the characters than you would a normal fluff-piece of fantasy, there's a deep underlying message of the way people deal with mental illness. There's a lot of hidden truth mixed in with the magic.

On a personal note, I foresee Queen eleanor as the character I'm going to continuously love to hate.
Steve O'Neill
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Found this to be a good read, kept my attention the entire time. Every time I stopped reading, I had to read a few more pages to see what was going to happen next! Good word usage through the book as well, and the attention to detail with places and names was fun for me.
James
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I lost interest about page 176. finished the book . It picked up again toward the end. I think why I took so long on this book was the writing style. Just did not have a lot of appeal for me. A good book just not my cup of tea.
Danica Ann
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Within the first few pages I was hooked. This fast paced and pleasurable read was loaded with adventures. Aurora is the perfect protagonist and a strong female character. I also love the dynamic between her and Ryder. I can’t wait to read the second novel.

• The Crowns of Croswald (The Croswald Series, #1)
  • Darkdawn (The Nevernight Chronicle, #3)
  • A Shifting of Stars (Of Stars, #1)
  • Beasts of the Frozen Sun (Frozen Sun Saga, #1)
  • Kingdom of Exiles (The Beast Charmer, #1)
  • Saved by the Page (Volume 1)
  • Into the Wildbarrens (The Gems of Elsana)
Ruby Fitzgerald is unapologetically bold and fearless in her writing style. Short dialogue, sudden changes, and a villain as the lead sets the stage for a tumultuous series.

The characters in the series are manifestations of depression. Silvia is sorrow and hopelessness, Xenos- isolation, Jestin- addiction, Eleanor- irrationality, Malcolm- denial, and so on. Each person embodies a piece