Start by marking “Myths of Light: Eastern Metaphors of the Eternal (Collected Work)” as Want to Read:
Myths of Light: Eastern Metaphors of the Eternal (Collected Work)

Myths of Light: Eastern Metaphors of the Eternal (Collected Work)

Following such volumes as Baksheesh and Brahman, The Inner Reaches of Outer Space, and Thou Art That, this previously unpublished title is Volume six in the Collected Works of Joseph Campbell series. It shows Campbell’s remarkable mind engaged with a favorite topic, the myths and metaphors of Asian religions. Myths of Light collects seven lectures and articles on subjects ...more
Published May 16th 2003 by New World Library (first published May 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Myths of Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Myths of Light

Katja Vartiainen
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I am eternally grateful for the existence of Joseph Cambpell. His way of offering of this knowledge of mythology is excellent. Not only he knows SO much, his books are easy to read and quite funny. I have a soft spot for India, and Vedanta so this book is one of my favourates. Jospeh Campell knows- or knew - how to find the red threads, make meaningful comparisons, and bring the meaningfulness of our lives before our eyes.
Tami
May 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Myths of Light is a compilation of articles and lectures given over the years by Joseph Campbell. The topics explored in these pieces are quite varied. However, the main theme that ties these works together is that they all explore aspects of Eastern belief, mythology, iconography, and symbolism.

Written from the perspective of the outsider taking a look into the beliefs and mythology of the East, Campbell provides an insightful overview. Campbell takes the stance that whether our stories are ba
Adam
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
A clear and scholarly introduction to Eastern religions, mainly Hinduism and Buddhism. As Campbell often does, he focuses on how these religions are fundamentally different from Western ones. While this isn't a comprehensive study of any one religion, it does provide a useful introduction with a scholarly (rather than spiritual) approach
Zach
Myths of Light is an absolutely wonderful book -- genuinely full of light. Campbell explores some well known imagery and some not well known imagery -- all with the aim to illuminate the reader and the world. If you're looking to better understand the imagery and myths of the "East," then this is your book.
Mike
Feb 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Joseph Campbell writes, “That’s the whole sense of mythology, to help you to harmonize your individual life with the general life, the life of the society and of the universe.” Which is why I read Joseph Campbell.
John Fredrickson
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual, religious
This is an excellent overview of many aspects of Eastern philosophy and religion, contrasted with Western. Like most of Campbell's works, this was a delight to read.
Drew
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-shelves
Campbell breaks down the philosophy & psychology behind eastern religions, comparing and contrasting them to traditional western thought in a way that relates them to our forms of thought.

He focuses on the fact that Hinduism & Buddhism have at their center a pursuit of non-being, of extinguishing the “I” or ego. This goes beyond what we think of as the “I” or ego; this doesn’t mean “don’t be a selfish jerk,” it means “go beyond the person who is you until there is no one there, until yo
Jason Gregory
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One thing is for sure, you can never go wrong in choosing a book written by Joseph Campbell. Myths of Light is no exception to this rule. This is a thorough and enlightening exploration into Eastern philosophy, especially the Vedic philosophy of Hinduism. After reading this book you will want more from one of the greatest minds of the 20th century.
David Melbie
Dec 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Students of Mythology
Recommended to David by: I'm a big fan.
A very good book. I love reading his lectures, which this book is a collection of, because Joseph was a very engaging and entertaining lecturer.

Listening to or reading his lectures has helped me greatly in my life and this little book has done the same for me this week. --From A Reader's Journal, by d r melbie.
Jim Young
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Written well, in Joseph Campbell voice. Just like listening to him speak. I thought it did a nice job of illuminating easter thought and contrasting and comparing it to western thought and religions. One can never have to much understanding.
John
Apr 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have never been let down by anything that Campbell has written. This one and pathways to bliss are as of now my two favorites.

For the Campbell fans i would highly recommend the lecture series "Mythos" with Susan Sarandon.
Bridgett
I love Joseph Campbell and I learned more about Eastern religion and philosophy by reading this book.
Stephen Mitskavich
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
We all should know where our belief systems come from.
David
Nov 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, myth
One of the best books I've ever read. This book is Indispensable as a reference on eastern cultural religion/mythology (especially India) for westerners.
Daina Jaeger Mundt
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another great read by Campbell.
Jesse
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the book that got me into anthropology.
Trax Armstrong
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Beautiful Piece Of Work From A Great Soul

This is yet another great work from the mind of someone who gave the world so much.
It is one of those books you could happily suggest to friends because you know that they too, will discover gems of wisdom on its many paths.
Ross
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My favourite book by Joseph Campbell thus far. Provides a succinct survey of Eastern mythology and highlights the major points of distinction when compared with Western mythological traditions.
Carl Holmes
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enlightening and deep, just as most of Campbell is. Go steady with it, do not let the small size make you think you will get through quickly. It is very well done and digestible, with time.
Gabriel Lea
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
The perfect companion to 'Thou Art That.' I recommend reading them both.
Bert Camembert
  • Crossing to Avalon: A Woman's Midlife Quest for the Sacred Feminine
  • Parallel Myths
  • Eleusis: Archetypal Image of Mother and Daughter
  • Myths of the Hindus and Buddhists
  • Your Mythic Journey: Finding Meaning in Your Life Through Writing and Storytelling
  • Kundalini: The Evolutionary Energy in Man
  • The Power of Coincidence: How Life Shows Us What We Need to Know
  • In the Wake of the Goddesses: Women, Culture, and the Biblical Transformation of Pagan Myth
  • From Asgard to Valhalla: The Remarkable History of the Norse Myths
  • Dionysus: Myth and Cult
  • Avalon Within: A Sacred Journey of Myth, Mystery and Inner Wisdom
  • The Quest for Arthur's Britain
Joseph Campbell was an American author and teacher best known for his work in the field of comparative mythology. He was born in New York City in 1904, and from early childhood he became interested in mythology. He loved to read books about American Indian cultures, and frequently visited the American Museum of Natural History in New York, where he was fascinated by the museum's collection of tote ...more