Start by marking “Baby Signs” as Want to Read:
Baby Signs

Baby Signs

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  572 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Long before they're able to talk, babies have a whole lot to say. With this adorable board book of essential signs, babies and toddlers can easily learn how to communicate their needs, wants, and feelings--and even make basic observations--with a simple gesture. Studies show that babies who use sign language feel less frustrated, throw fewer tantrums, and often learn to ta ...more
Board Book, 16 pages
Published February 14th 2008 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about Baby Signs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby Signs

Book format- Board Book
Reading level- 0-3 years
Genre-non-fiction
Lit Requirement- Interactive

Baby Signs includes 13 basic signs that would be beneficial for babies to know. The words and phrases taught and explained are milk, water, more, all done, diaper, dog, cat, it hurts, help me, mommy, daddy, book, and sleepy. The illustrations in the book include a baby signing the words and their parents. The baby is shown participating in normal daily routines
Becky Johnson
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: eng261, picture-book
This board book is a simple book for pre-k and kindergarten. There are only a few words per page but then teach readers how to sign the words too. This book is great for any classroom especially for special education classes. I think the pictures are simple and soft and the cute baby is just adorable!
Stephanielaurenwilling
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A sweet and simple introduction to basic sign language for babies. I'm excited to read this and learn it with my baby because I've heard from several parents that their babies were a lot less frustrated around mealtimes once they were able to communicate concepts such as "more" and "done."
Orion Kopf
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am a little young for this right now but I think I will learn a lot from it in a few months!
Tracy
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not sure how useful this will be but I'm going to bring it home from the library, anyway.
Shauna
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a helpful board book that describes thirteen signs for babies and adults to communicate.
Elizabeth
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very simple and wonderful beginner book.
Angelica
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute little book that Au read at 17 months. Provides some instruction about some of the basic signs, a couple of which we hadn't yet learned.
Lillian
Jan 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Good introduction to some signs. More for the parent than for the kid. Not brightly illustrated or engaging for children.
Roo
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Good introductory signs
Angela
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Laura picked up the signs really quickly from this book and when she reads by herself she even still does them! I wish I would have found it sooner.
Jeremy
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Read with grandma and Papa via FaceTime for nighttime storytime
Kelly
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Amazingly simple! I can't wait to try these out on my grandchildren. The signs included are very basic, and I wonder if there are more books like this...
Danielle Robertson
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-lit
A good place to start - not too complicated with too many signs but still detailed enough to show exactly what the hands should do.
Brenda
Jan 27, 2020 rated it liked it
I was really excited about this book and to read it to my son. However, I feel like I need to check some of the words now after reading it. Just wasn’t exactly what I was expecting.
Kaethe Douglas
May 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
When the Possum was born I taught her some sign language. Just everyday around the house sorts of things. It was a relief for both of us when she could communicate. I wanted to publish a board book of signs. By the time the KitKatPandaBatWolf appeared, the market was flush.

Anyway, this is what I would have liked to have done.
jacky
May 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: babies
Shelves: board-books, online
Natalie really likes my computer, so we sometimes read books on line at We Give Books. We were starting to run out of choices, so we read this one even though it is about signs and we don't sign. We just enjoyed the illustrations instead. From what I recall having read this awhile ago, it did have good instructions on how to do the signs.
Joshua's Mom
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: baby, toddlers
Both my kids have loved this book. It is a great way to reinforce the signs and make them fun. Illustrations are sweet and simple. I really don't like how it shows the baby throwing his bowl of food when he signs all done. Not exactly something I want to teach to my kids.

I would have loved a few more signs in it.
Wendy
Dec 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Easy and useful signs for little ones to learn. Not extensive but a nice place to start or supplement if you are teaching a baby some sign language.

(Before I became a mom I was amazed to see tiny tots signing. Yes, babies can learn to sign before they can speak and yes it does help in avoiding some frustration of not being able to communicate. Try it and see!)
Amelia
I so wanted this to be good.... But I really found the diagrams poorly done/confusing. That said, we still use many of these signs (especially more, all done and sleepy) even though my daughter is now verbal, so the choice of signs included is pretty reasonable. 13 signs in total in this board book (although you'll probably need YouTube to make sure you are doing them right).
Megababy
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Megababy by: nana
Shelves: own
1/29/16 - We really wanted to like this one, but we'll probably have to find a different way to learn the signs. Some of the diagrams are a bit hard to figure out what is going on. And of course, it's hard to DO signs while you are holding a book. And if mommy does signs, I can't see her, because I am sitting on her lap looking at the book. She says maybe we can get a video instead.
Eric Moote
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Overall: a great and easy introduction to sign language for infants and parents.

I took a year of ASL in college, so I'm a huge fan of communicating non verbally. This book has thirteen basic and useful signs for non verbal children and parents alike.

I would recommend this book to: 8 month olds and parents there of.
Jannah
Dec 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Some of these signs aren't ASL ('dog', 'cat', and 'sleepy' I think were the main ones that deviated?).
I went ahead and still used the book for baby storytime, but demonstrated the correct signs to the grown-ups as we went over each word. We have 2 copies of this board book available to check out, but I plan to look for a more accurate board book to order instead.
Kathleen
Jul 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all moms with babies
Shelves: childrensbooks
This is the book to get if you want to teach your baby sign language. It keeps it so simple and includes only the most important signs. I found so many of the other sign language books to be overwhelming and confusing.
Cheryl
Nov 02, 2009 rated it liked it
This is a cute book for very young children, but if you're interested in the sign language, I'd say it's better to get a video.
Tdavis
Mar 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Baby - Preschool
Sign language is building vocabulary! Great board book with very clear pictured descriptions of signs.

Early Literacy Skills:

Print Motivation
Vocabulary
Grace
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great book for toddlers to assist in learning sign language!
Emily
Sep 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
A cute book with a lot of signs that baby can use!! Wish it had just a few more, like "thank you", "yes", "no", etc... but a good use of simple sign language for toddlers! :)
Juliette
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to, own, year-2
Christmas Eve 2013 Gift from my Granmamá and Grandaddy!
Nichole Davis
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's a great jumping off place to start teaching babies Sign. It has common signs that they will use everyday.

• Where's Spot?
  • Quantum Physics for Babies
  • Little Blue Truck Leads the Way
  • Moo, Baa, La La La!
  • Giraffes Can't Dance
  • There's a Wocket in My Pocket!
  • Never Touch a Dinosaur