Start by marking “Jackalopes & Woofen-Poofs (Offbeat Crimes, #5)” as Want to Read:
Jackalopes & Woofen-Poofs (Offbeat Crimes, #5)

Jackalopes & Woofen-Poofs

(Offbeat Crimes #5)

Hoax animals and a consulting vampire on the prowl—Jason never thought having a cop boyfriend would be this hard.

All Animal Control Officer Jason Shen ever wanted was a quiet life of rescuing lost kittens and helping animals in need. Having a paranormal cop boyfriend guarantees an end to the quiet part. What at first seems a random encounter with jackalopes in the park
Published October 3rd 2017 by Pride Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Jackalopes & Woofen-Poofs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jackalopes & Woofen-Poofs

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
A delightful read in a delightful series! I can't get enough of Offbeat Crimes!

First of all, it's important to know that this book can't be read as a stand-alone. Jackalopes & Woofen-Poofs is an established couple story from a couple that got together in Feral Dust Bunnies.

I keep describing this series the same way, but it really fits: quirky characters, interesting plot-lines, and cute couples.

I especially adored Wolf, who is pure and sweet and not quite adept at understanding all of human interactions. I even l
Ami
Jackalopes & Woofen-Poofs (I LOVED the title, by the way!) is the fifth book in Angel Martinez' Offbeat Crimes series; it is also a direct sequel from the previous book, since it featured Wolf (a wolf who is cursed into human) and his boyfriend Jason Shen, an animal-control officer.

After several books that only feature perspective from one of the MCs, Jackalopes & Woofen-Poofs FINALLY offers dual narrations, both from Wolf and Jason. I think this is probably my favorite of the series so far.

Wolf is ADORABLE throughout.
⚣Michaelle⚣
4.5 Stars

I seriously love this series; Wolf & Jason are my favorite couple as well.
Elena

When it comes to relationship conflict, jealousy and interested third parties coming between the MCs can get a little tricky for me in books, because often the only thing they achieve is to frustrate me to no end.

With Jason and Alex it wasn’t really so bad, Jason’s jealousy wasn’t irrational or ugly, Alex wasn’t oblivious and the meddling third party wasn’t as bad as he seemed at first.
I’m also thankful there wasn’t a big misunderstanding, but Jason and Alex’s inability
Malinda
4 stars

This was a very good continuation of Jason and Alex's story. This story picks up shortly after their first story, Feral Dust Bunnies, ended. Alex and his fellow officers have to go to the paranormal police division's headquarters to discuss the most recent in a rash of unusual magical occurrences that their precinct has been encountering. This goes alright but when more unusual things pop up, a vampire police captain is sent to help/observe. This wouldn't be so bad except he's rather
Daesy
You know there is something wrong with the book(at least in my opinion), when while reading the story you start to ship together one of the MCs with another char..... This was my case. I felt more chemistry btw Wolf and the vampire Captain, Richard Valbuena, than btw him and his boyfriend, Jason. I'm not saying that the book was bad, but the plot was simple and there was still no new info on the mysterious man causing all these problems. We don't know who he is, what he wants or where he is, and ...more
Kathleen

I think this one rivals Skim Blood and Savage Verse for my favorite in the Offbeat Crimes series. I adore Wolf and I thought Jason was his perfect significant other. I love Martinez' wacky, dry sense of humor and the this story was clever and so beautifully executed. While the characters are well drawn, I'd like to see more world building.

Can't wait to crack open the next one! When will Krisk get his own story???
Serena Yates
The weird and wonderful world of Angel Martinez’s ‘Offbeat Crime’ series with Philadelphia’s 77th Precinct at its center is back in this fifth volume. Like book number four, it focuses on Alex Wolf, now in a relationship with Jason Shen, and their continuing trials and tribulations as a couple. Of course, the other “paranormally defective” members of the precinct also play a role, and to get the full picture, you really need to read the other four books first. There is a build in the plot that y ...more
Relly
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: b-2017-read
4 Stars
I really enjoy this series. I think this one is my favorite so far.
The characters are quirky and the investigations interesting. I like how they are all considered rejects but work in well together and have created a little family within their precinct. The introduction of the two new characters was great, and i hope to see more of them.
Wolf is a favorite as I enjoy the way he views the world. I liked how he interacted with Jason's family. I felt for him at their rudenes
Kristin
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fifth in the Offbeat Crimes Series – not a stand-alone book. You do need to read the rest of the series first as they provide the background for the characters and setting.

Angel Martinez’s plots are short, sweet and pack a lot between the pages. I love that I can gobble down her stories in a day or two and go back and enjoy the re-read just as much as the first time through. Off Beat Crimes series is that enjoyable.

Jackalopes and Woofen-Poof’s picks up right on the heels of book number four, F
Eric Westfall
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The weird and wonderful Angel Martinez does it again!

She has, of course, a weird mind, else how could she come up with the animals in these series...as well as the variety that she writes? (In writing scifi and fantasy, I'll have you know, weirdness of mind is at a minimum, an asset, and at most, a necessity.)

And her writing is wondrous to behold.

This is such a remarkably fun series, despite the fact each one involves a mystery and danger to our heroes from th
llv
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
Rating: 4.5 stars
This series is just getting better and better for me. Jason & Wolf are one my favorite couples in this series and it was good to re-visit their relationship as they are battling crazy hoax animals. I thought the whole hoax animal plot was really creative. I really love Wolf's little "cub" Audacity. Especially the way he understands everything she says. I find myself liking all the officers of the Offbeat Crimes Division more and more. Call me crazy and I'm not sure how
Addicted2M/M
Ahh, Wolf. Poor, poor Wolf. A sad and confused with an adorable, brilliant , and a loving mom who treats his boyfriend like her own. Thank goodness, because Jason's mom...I wanted to pop her one. Jason's self esteem is sadly lacking and it is easy to see why.

We also get to see all the old characters, including Kash & Kyle's wedding. It is great to see the support they give Wolf. Well, really, they all give each other. There are a few interesting newbies, too.

As for the conflicts between Wolf and Ja
Lada
Sep 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Enjoyable read as usual, what with hoax animals and handsome vampire captain who flirted with Wolf ;) Audacity the kitten was as cute and sweet as ever. I wasn't that keen with Jason's family, but I guess a human family is still manageable than a vampire family.
Melyna
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, paranormal

I love this series! I am looking forward to seeing how the mystery arc is solved. :-)
Beth doesn't write  enough reviews
This series just keeps getting better. Humor, love, oddness.. what more could you ask for?

Seriously, if you are looking for laughs, honest emotions and strange though interesting characters I urge you to check out this series.
Vivian
Oct 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed, romance-pn
Cute addition to the series, though I found recalling all the officers abilities difficult since I hadn't read a book in it recently. Decent action, series' plot advancement, and sweet romance.
Lisa The Novel Approach
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have embarrassingly gushed about the Offbeat Crimes series before. Repeatedly, as I recall. It can’t be helped, though, for when an author continues to produce humorous, fantastic paranormal stories such as the latest, Jackalopes & Woofen-Poofs, then the gushing must commence. Those unfamiliar with this series will make little sense of this review, so I suggest picking it up and starting from the beginning with Lime Gelatin and Other Monsters so that you can fully appreciate this incredibl ...more
Tori Thompson
4.5 heart review for Love Bytes Reviews!

A copy of this book was provided in exchange for an honest review. This review was originally posted at Love Bytes Reviews, please visit www.lovebytesreviews.com to see this and many more reviews, interviews, and giveaways!

Yeah! A direct sequel to Feral Dust Bunnies, and everything more we needed to see about Alex and Jason! This makes me happy.

In the last book we were given a glimpse of Alex and Jason as they begin to date. It’s a challenge fo
Diane
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.6 Goodreads; 4.2 Amazon. Overall sweet part-2 M/M romance, and good action

This book featured an interesting assortment of dangerous hoax creatures, the introduction of an intriguing new magical character who's involved, and a bittersweet resolution of the immediate problem. Animal Control Officer Jason Shen's expertise and equipment play a more-than-minor role. There's still little progress on identifying the big bad, the squad's apparent "stalker mage," though.

Meanwhile, Office
Amy Aelleah
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
There are a few things I dislike about this book that can all be summed up one way: Jason. I didn't care for him in the previous book, but in this one he is ten times worse because we get to spend part of it inside his head. (Interestingly enough, this is the first book in the series that has alternating perspectives. A trend that is continued in the final book of the series.) Jealousy is a trait I've never found appealing and, you could say he's jealous because he's insecure, but, really, I don ...more
J E
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Heat is Rising...

Though I love this series, it's taken me a few months to get around to reading Jackalopes... and now I'm kicking myself for not reading it sooner. This fifth, and penultimate, volume in the current ongoing adventures of the 77th Precinct's faulty paranormal officers, had it all. Love, tension, suspicion, drama, a multi-racial wedding ceremony and a host of peculiarly violent hoax-animals that seem to have it in for the Department.
It continues the story of Alex Wolf and
Pete W
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is very charming. It is certainly the word that I do not often use to describe a book but this one certain is charming.

We begins with the repercussion from their actions at the end of previous book. The whole precinct got called by (view spoiler)

After the unpleasantness got done with, the new prob
Ulysses Dietz
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Feral Dust Bunnies (Offbeat Crimes #4)
And
Jackalopes and Woofen-Poofs (Offbeat Crimes #5)
By Angel Martinez
By Pride Publishing, 2017
Four stars

I’ve doubled up on these two books for one review, partly because the main characters—Alex Wolf and Jason Shen—are in both, but partly because I started book five before I realized I’d skipped book four. So of course I had to read them together to get it all right.

This “Offbeat Crimes” series is great fun. It makes
Glakritz
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review by Gloria Lakritz Sr Reviewer and Review Chair for the Paranormal Romance Guild
4.5***** Stars
Genre: Paranormal Detective
Rated: Mature M/M
Release Date: October 3, 2017
Pages: 225

I am totally addicted to this series. Angel Martinez has taken a huge chance and written a far- fetched, tongue and cheek series. If they were hum
Melanie
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words Review

Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5

For the full review visit http://wp.me/p220KL-bYm

From that review: " You know I'm running out of adjectives here.  I'm going to have to start to resort to the sort of thing like making up words to go along with the made up animals like the Jackalope here and the Woofen-Poofs, among others.  Angel Martinez's minds a fantabulous place.  Scary, mind-blowing definitely but one I always want to visit with.  Here we return
April Rock
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really like the series.

What fun and adventure it was to be back in the 77th precinct. It's team of outcasts always entertain me ,and have me laughing aloud. This one was no different ( cue the restroom scene) .
Despite the enigmatic villain, the heart of the story still involved human frailties and insecurities. The heart of any relationship truly , yet beautiful in its conclusions.
This rag tag team of oddballs has become a favorite series. Of mine. I can't relate all i think of the se
Sakuko
Another solid instalment. I really enjoy Wolf and Jason together and there was also a lot of wedding sweetness from Kash and Kyle.
Like with the last part I like that there seemed to be a bigger focus on the relationship than the crime parts, though this time the relationship drama mostly originates at work. We get Jason's PoV too, which was nice. It was enlightening to see the insecurities and problems from both sides.

I wasn't a big fan of the monsters du jour, though. Maybe th
Lori S.
Excellent, fun read. I like that we're allowed to follow familiar characters and learn more about them.

This story focuses more on Alex Wolf and Jason Chen, their relationship, and Jason's family, who are not pleased about Jason's preferences or interest in men. Add in a vampire from State Paranormal trying get between the pair and a whole slew of fascinating cryptid animals made of clay, and Jason and Alex have their hands full.

Each book in this series keeps adding layers
Kragthang
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably my favourite book in the series. I really loved the way Jason's and Alex' doubts and fears in regards to their relationship were addressed and resolved in the end. I also liked the times together with fellow officers, the wedding of Kash and Kyle, the introduction of new characters and of course the star of the show, Audacity!
The whole book was written in a round and fitting way. It was great that even though it was a bit more gloomy than the previous books, it didn't lose the overall

• Dim Sum Asylum
  • Echoes of Deviance (Aberrant Magic, #4)
  • Drinker of Blood (SPECTR Series 2, #3)
  • Spook Squad (PsyCop, #7)
  • Be Fairy Game (Starfig Investigations, #2)
  • The Intersection of Purgatory and Paradise (Least Likely Partnership, #3)
  • The Wolf at the Door (Big Bad Wolf, #1)
  • Changes (Tracefinder #2)
  • Cutie and the Beast (Fae Out of Water, #1)
  • Ante Up
  • Flesh & Blood (Flesh, #2)
  • Undertow (Infected #7)
  • Dead Man and the Army of Frogs (Dead Man #2)
  • Animal Instinct (Duncan Andrews Thrillers, #2)
Angel Martinez currently lives part time in the hectic sprawl of northern Delaware and full time inside her head. She has one husband, one son, two cats, a love of all things beautiful and a terrible addiction to the consumption of both knowledge and chocolate.

Angel's alter ego writes the all-ages science fiction - Sandra Stixrude.

Offbeat Crimes (6 books)
  • Lime Gelatin and Other Monsters (Offbeat Crimes, #1)
  • The Pill Bugs of Time (Offbeat Crimes, #2)
  • Skim Blood and Savage Verse (Offbeat Crimes, #3)
  • Feral Dust Bunnies (Offbeat Crimes, #4)
  • All The World's An Undead Stage (Offbeat Crimes, #6)