Start by marking “84K” as Want to Read:
84K

84K

What if your life were defined by a number?

What if any crime could be committed without punishment, so long as you could afford to pay the fee assigned to that crime?

Theo works in the Criminal Audit Office. He assesses each crime that crosses his desk and makes sure the correct debt to society is paid in full.

But when Theo's ex-lover Dani is killed, it's different. This is
Published May 24th 2018 by Orbit (first published May 22nd 2018)

Phrynne
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5000-books
I would know this book was written by Claire North if I was to read only one page of it. Her style is so unique and distinctive. Sentences are left unfinished, sometimes words and phrases just pile up on themselves and yet it always makes perfect sense. Did I mention that she is one of my favourite authors? In my eyes she can do no wrong but I can understand why some people find her hard to read.

84K is set in a dystopian near future in England. The country is in a sorry state since the Company j
Bradley
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really had to debate between giving this a full five stars or the four, but ultimately it all boils down to whether or not the heavily ambitious tale was pulled off in spectacular flavor or whether it must remain a disquieting tale with an end that will either leave a bittersweet taste in your mouth or leave you anxious.

I personally think it'll be a bit of both.

I'm reminded of a bit of Les Miserables and a bit of Charles Dickens in this one, which is either odd or awesome when you consider tha
Liz Barnsley
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Easy 5* for me. EASY. Claire North writes so beautifully and in such a unique way sometimes I think it doesn't matter what story she is telling, it is all in the way she tells it. As it happens 84K has a brilliantly engaging theme and the whole thing is just wonderful. And a bit scary.

Full review nearer to publication.
Justine
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
Very, very, dark. This isn't unexpected from Claire North, as her view of the future in previous books has always been slanted in that direction. But 84K is definitely her darkest vision of our near future world yet, written in a form that edges on experimental fiction.

North's work has always been infused with politics, and 84K is no different. What makes this book so chilling to read is that, particularly with the state of the world now, with the apparent strengthening of the right wing agenda,
Lata
This was a dark book, a what-if story, taking the idea of privatisation of all sorts of public services to an extreme though logical conclusion, with government and one, all-encompassing company in bed together while they destroy a country together.
While the narration of the audiobook is good, I found my attention wandering frequently. And with the multiple storylines going back and forth in time and the frequent repetition of phrases and ideas, I kept tuning out, partly because of the repetitio
William
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5-Stars

Another masterpiece of heart and genius, this one dark and sad, not an easy read but very rewarding. North creates a living, plausible, even probable world in which greed has triumphed. Everything has a price, every crime a monetary indemnity. The rich can do what they wish, and escape with only a fine. Even murder is excused for £84,000, more or less.

This story of the near future is a clear warning about the 1,000 year Tory dream: Lords in the castles and the rest of us dead or naked in
Vanessa
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
1.5 stars. I’m so bummed. I love North’s book “The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August” and had high expectations for this one. But once again, I find myself very disappointed - this is another perfect example of a book that has a unique and interesting premise but falls completely flat on execution. First, the writing style leaves much to be desired. Incomplete, repetitive sentences that just trail off. Over and over and over again. It wasn’t dreamy or poetic; it was frustrating and clumsy. Sec ...more
Andrea
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I've just read the first five chapters of this new book by Claire North - a pre-publication teaser - and now can barely wait to get hold of the full book. I haven't learned a great deal about the story beyond what's in the blurb, but I want more!

So far I've liked everything by this author that I've read, and 84K looks to be no exception. The author quickly establishes the setting as London; a London that is kind of familiar, but somewhat disturbing in certain aspects. It's a place where public s
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)
You can find my review on my blog by clicking here.

Claire North, also known under the names of Catherine Webb and Kate Griffin, brings us a brand-new dystopian sci-fi story with 84K. Although I’ve only known her for her huge success upon releasing The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August—which I have yet to read myself—this introduction to her mind has been truly eye-opening. The world she creates in this story comes to life thanks to some of the most meticulous world-building and attention to de
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
As always this review can also be found on my blog The Tattooed Book Geek: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

I received a free copy of this book courtesy of the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

What is the value of a human life? Well, honestly, it varies, are you young? Are you old? Are you a benefit to society? Are you a burden to society? Are you valued? Will you be missed? Do you have the potential for future greatness? Will you always wallow in mediocrity? Are you a somebody?
ashley c
I am a sucker for two things - first of all, anything written by Claire North, which basically encompasses this whole review, but I do want to touch on the second thing as well which is character-driven plots. Also a third thing - the ability for an author to pen down the complexities, beauty, and ugliness of the human condition in its multidimensional state into a 2D paper world.

"You were, in fact, a moral vacuum. Oh, not in a spectacular way. You were no more or less evil than anyone else in
Kate
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A clever and challenging read with a great premise - every crime has a price. This is a world in which only the poor are guilty. While this is probably my least favourite of North's novels, largely due to its fragmented and jumpy style which meant I couldn't engage with characters or story as much as I would have liked, this author continues to astound with her imagination and ambition. Full review to follow closer to publication on For Winter Nights. 3.5 stars.
The Nerd Daily
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on The Nerd Daily | Review by Jess Magee

What if every crime had a value? And as long as you could pay up, you were a free man? In a world abolished of human rights and the rich can get away with murder, literally, we follow Criminal Audit Office employee, Theo Miller. His job is to catalogue every offence and make sure the crime matches the payment, discounts are even offered for circumstances such as if a ‘lowlife’ was the victim or the offender turned himself in. If anyone is
K.J. Charles
Sep 24, 2018 marked it as pass
Shelves: dnf, dystopia
My second DNF of Claire North, one of my favourite authors, which is disheartening. In part it's the bleakness. This is a very plausible dystopia where all crime is punished by fines, meaning the rich can do anything while the poor are sent into slavery to work off debts for small offences. It's incredibly dark and depressing and I just don't feel like being any more miserable about the world than I am.

That may change with my mood, but also the narrative style is kind of exasperating. We jump f
Gary
Jul 17, 2018 rated it liked it
7/17
High-concept SF premise marred by style-over-substance execution.
Full RTC
Marianne
84K is the fifth novel by British author, Claire North. Theo Miller (not his real name) works at the Criminal Audit Office. When a crime has been committed, his job is to calculate what the cost to the guilty will be. It can be a little complicated, but he has formulae and algorithms to guide him. It’s a job. He hasn’t given much thought to what happens to those too poor to pay.

But then, from his deep past, when he wasn’t yet Thomas Miller, comes Dani Cumali, wanting him to help her find her dau
Olivia
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
RTC. Original, innovative, with some flaws.
MTK
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it
A startingly unoriginal book from a startingly original writer.++

For me, Claire North is one of the few writers whose books I buy automatically. And one of the things I always appreciated most about them is how different they are to anything else published today. Not only does she have a truly unique voice, but the premise of all her novels has always been something new, exciting, innovative. The stories are timeless, but always told from a different angle, like being seen though a lens not only
Aneta Bak
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is told from the perspective of Theo Miller, and is told in many different time lines. At times, the different time lines seem to blur together, but I think that made me want to read it even more. Theo Miller works in the Criminal Audit Office, where he evaluates crimes and puts a number to said crime. If the “criminal” can pay, they are free, if they cannot they go to the “patty line” where they practically become slave workers. Essentially, if you are rich, you can do anything you wa ...more
Robyn
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
3.5 that I'm rounding up. This was a bit of a rough one to listen to; the ever changing timeline was hard to grasp at the beginning, but it became clear soon enough (plus wonderful narration). The real issue was that this is a dark book, one that is scarily plausible - not much of an escape in this day and age! If you like Claire North's other books, you'll probably like this one!
Justine
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm so very disappointed. I love Claire North, I automatically buy her books regardless of what they're about. She's unique in her writing and ideas and I love her books. Usually.

Except this one.

There's this thing happening where she writes unfinished sentences. I get that she has her own writing style but this was just irritating and confusing and just too quirky. Yes, if it's explained it can add to the story but this was just half sentences with no context or explanation.

I was really looking
Bella
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was given the first five chapters as an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review:

I really enjoyed this excerpt of the first five chapters. It makes me want to know more and what will happen in this world
Xavi
Jun 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: llegits-2018
Escenario interesante, pero la historia se desinfla más o menos por la mitad.
Kopratic
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
84K was my first foray into the writing of Claire North, so I didn’t know exactly what to expect. The description intrigued me, though, so I decided to give it a go. And wow.

This book made me angry. It made me despair. At times it almost made me lose hope, but there was always a thread of hope running through the text. In short, I loved this book.

The most frightening part about this book is that we aren’t really sure the time period it’s set in. It’s at least the future in England and probably t
Roy
Jul 22, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5* Claire North has a very distinct style. Her prose and writing style in 84k is the what shines best in this novel. The sheer word use and stylistic breakdowns of chapters and sentences would sometimes leave you breathless. Her novels of late have had amazing concepts, this being one of them. The world these characters live in could be some element of the present past or even future unfortunately. However I felt like this was a little more style over substance. The narrative was a little slow ...more
Sandra "Jeanz"
May 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018, dnf, dystopian
I have attempted to read this book more than once and just cannot get into it.
Its a shame as I loved the sound of the blurb, it sounded like it would be a fascinating read. However the pace of the book was too slow for me and it jumped about a lot. It basically left me feeling like it wasn't going anywhere fast.
I'm afraid its a one star and a Did Not Finish from me.
On a positive note I love the cover image, it's simplistic yet very intriguing at the same time. I would certainly pick this book up
USOM
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
(Disclaimer: I received this free book from the publisher. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

I knew I'd be blown away by North's world building - by the concept of the Criminal Audit Office and the ways society is further breaking down. What can I say, I'm an intense nerd. But what I didn't really anticipate was how much Theo would resonate with me. Just how much his plight, his struggles, his motivations would move me.

full review: https://utopia-state-of-mind.com/rev
Herminia Chow
About the book: It’s a standalone sci-fi novel where rich people can commit crimes and pay them off instead of get punished. I received an advanced reader copy from Hachette.

First impressions: I had no idea what to expect, but I was taken aback by the writing style. Nevertheless, the story slowly but surely started to grow on me.

Characters: By the end of the novel, I liked the characters more than I did at the beginning. Theo, the protagonist, wasn’t the easiest guy to root for at first, but in
April
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
2.5
I got this book as an ARC at a library conference. The premise was fantastic and I was really excited to dive in, but the book itself just got tiresome. It started reading like a really long, exhausting, overly emotional poem with a bit of narrative prose thrown in. There just wasn’t enough plot to justify how long this book dragged on. In the end, it was a disappointment.
Borja
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
2,5

Una pequeña decepción. No solo por las expectativas, sino porque las primeras 150 paginas me resultaron muy interesantes y la cosa prometía. Sin embargo, a partir de ahi, la historia cae en el aburrimiento y si remonta al final es por la propia emocion del thriller. Una lastima que un escenario tan bien presentado termine desaparecido.

Claire North is actually Catherine Webb, a Carnegie Medal-nominated young-adult novel author whose first book, Mirror Dreams, was written when she was just 14 years old. She went on to write seven more successful YA novels.

Claire North is a pseudonym for adult fantasy books written by Catherine Webb, who also writes under the pseudonym Kate Griffin.
“I have lead a thoroughly despicable life. Or rather... not despicable. My evils have been ordinary evils. My sins against the world are daily, little sins that no one would question. I am a normal man. I am a normal man, and have done no wrong, and there is a place in hell waiting for me.” 1 likes
“Tell Phillip Ensley that I'm going to blow his fucking brains out. "

"Mr. Ensley will be most relieved.”
0 likes