Start by marking “Sam & Ilsa's Last Hurrah” as Want to Read:

Sam & Ilsa's Last Hurrah

The New York Times Bestselling duo behind Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist and The Twelve Days of Dash & Lily return with twins out to throw the party of a lifetime—or at least the best party of high school!

Siblings Sam and Ilsa Kehlmann have spent most of their high school years throwing parties for their friends—and now they’ve prepared their final blowout, just
Published April 10th 2018 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Sam & Ilsa's Last Hurrah, please sign up.
Melissa Yes! https://people.com/celebrity/hedy-gol...
Yes! https://people.com/celebrity/hedy-gol...
If you google them, a few different version come up, but these are the one from People Magazine (less)

Start your review of Sam & Ilsa's Last Hurrah
Beth
DNF at 43%

I received an Arc from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I'm not even going to give this a rating because I just couldn't get through it. I went in wiith completely different expectations of what I thought it would be. Roughly at about 4% in I'd already had enough. Sam and Ilsa came off as pretentious, and I couldn't figure out how their relationship worked. One moment Ilsa would be making comments about Sam being the favourite and to me she felt over shadowed and then the
Vee ♔Vee_Bookish♔
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to hang around with a bunch of a bunch of hipsters for a whole book
If you look up pretentious in the dictionary, there's a handy little picture of this book next to it. Honestly when I read the description I got that it was a party and there was eight random guests with two twin protagonists and that sounded awesome, I generally love contemporary with a dash of romance so what could possibly go wrong?

Basically, everything went wrong. What this book actually is, is a story about a bunch of rich mostly white folk whining for literally the whole book and then for
Sylvie
Jun 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: lgbtq
description

by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn

1/5 stars.

Never in my entire life have I rated a young adult contemporary book this low.

I can’t believe how two amazing authors wrote a book so horrible.
This was my most anticipated book for this year, because when those two authors collaborate they write great books together but this was just awful, none of the pages made sense.

I expected for this to be something glamorous because it takes place in New York where twins Ilsa and Sam
Alaina
I think this is my second book by this author? Not a fan so far.

Sam & Ilsa's Last Hurrah was more than boring. Thankfully, this book is super short - like about 200 pages. So, I could easily fly through this.. with ya know not caring about anything or anyone.

In it, you will meet Sam and Ilsa. They are twin's and having one last party in their grandma's place before saying goodbye. No, they aren't dying (even though that twist would've been a warm welcome) but their grandma is moving to
Bookphenomena (Micky)
I’m going to be quite brief on this review because so much just didn’t click for me beyond the blurb. The book plunges the reader into an entitled and rather odd situation of teens hosting a dinner party in Manhattan and this dinner party is pretty much the entirety of the book. What starts as enchantingly quirky in terms of the main characters, siblings Sam and Ilsa, ends up being rather too quirky and somewhat irritating.

The guests at the dinner party were again an odd mix but the drama,
Christy
Not my favorite Rachel & David book but I need a novella on grandma.
Suzanne
This was an okay read. Not an intense read, but sometimes that is good because you just want a quick read to pass the rainy afternoon. The characters are pretty different from each other so the dinner party banter is random and amusing. The story follows to fraternal twins who are different as they have a last dinner party in their grandmother’s swank New York apartment as they in their guest end up on a verbal path of their futures and even a fun game in which they discuss off the wall ...more
Emma
I'm usually a huge fan of anything David Levithan writes but this was a huge let down for me. Everything felt very underdeveloped and it was not well paced at all. Such a shame.
Lauren AKA randomreader
Well, I don't hand out 1 star reviews often, but when I do I really have got to strongly dislike the book. This was one of those books.
I tried so hard to like this. I've heard David Levithan is great author, and that him and Rachel Cohn were a dynamic duo. I'm going to respectfully disagree on the dynamic writing duo part.
Twins inviting each other's exes to a party should have been unique, fun, and entertaining. Instead I was asking myself when this book would end. This book is 200 pages
Kayla
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I got sent this book in exchange for a honest review, all my opinions are my own and thank you so much to the publishers for sending me this book!

This book was very entertaining. I love books that are focused on relationships and friendships and this book definitely focused on it.
I have rated this book 3 stars just depending on, I didn't like the writing and I usually don't for David Levithan but I do enjoy the plots of his stories.
Overall it was a good book, I just don't think I'll revisit it
Kat
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-review-book
** I received this ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review **

I have always enjoyed Rachel Cohn and David Levithan's collaborations, and I was excited for the opportunity to review this one (coming out in April). The book follows Sam and Ilsa, twins and high school seniors, and their final party before graduation, hosted in their grandmother's elaborate and eclectic downtown apartment. Each sibling invites 3 guests, unknown to other until they arrive, and these guests certainly
Kira DeSomma
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yay-for-ya
I read this book in one sitting after receiving an advance reading copy from the publisher.
The authors of Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist have done it again! This book is beautiful and absurd, hilarious and heartwarming, and it reminded me a lot of Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I loved every minute of it and I will be recommending it when it comes out in April!
Alexa L
This is one of the worst YA books I've read in a long time. I don't like to post bad reviews or ratings, but honestly this book was terrible. Do not recommend.
Vicki
I have little to say about this book. I thought it was boring for the most part, random, chaotic, and I didn't care for any of the characters.

Twins Sam and Ilsa are seniors in high school and they have a last dinner party for 6 of their friends, each inviting 3 people. There was an interesting cast of friends invited, and I thought it held some potential at first. But honestly I just didn't like this one much at all. The characters were mostly mean or bitchy. There was what I'd call an attempt
Holly
*Disclaimer I received a free copy of this book through netgalley in return for an honest review*
Okay, so I did enjoy this book, but I also found it quite hard to follow, mainly due to the dialogue of this novel.
I did enjoy how it was set over one evening but felt like I would like to know more about all the characters’ lives. I also didn’t like how quirky the characters were, at times I felt like it was too much.
3/5 stars
Kirsty
I had no idea that David Levithan and Rachel Cohn had collaborated on another novel until I received an email about it from Netgalley. Whilst I rarely read young adult novels, I have always enjoyed their work in their past, and was eager to begin Sam and Ilsa's Last Hurrah. I have come away feeling more than disappointed about it, however. It lacks the wit and sparkle of their earlier work; the characters are precocious and annoying rather than intelligent and endearing. I was hoping for an ...more
Trisha
Fast-paced, with a more serious undertone than previous novels by this pair.
Leah G.
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In this book, Sam, the protagonist, demonstrates the character strength 'self-control' because even though he gets very upset and anxious when he thinks about things that might be stressing him out, he calms himself down without having a complete panic attack. For example, before the party, the sink broke and he ruined some of the food. Instead of completely freaking out, he tells himself it's okay, and he controls himself.
Kat Drennan-Scace
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: glbt, ya, contemporary, 2018
I can’t put my finger on why I didn’t really like this one except that maybe it’s not that exciting to read chapters and chapters of people sitting around and talking at a party. Maybe especially when they’re privileged teens trying to figure out what to do with their lives. So, disappointed in this one but it still had funny and touching parts. Just not my fave!
Mari Johnston
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Why is this book?
kelly {BookCrushin}
3.5 round down to 3. It wasn't a bad book but so many personalities to contend with. It was a fast quick read and overall it stressed me out a tad too much. Maybe I related to all the insecurities of these characters but not their privilege so it felt uneven to me personally.
Maureen Levin
Dec 29, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Started strong and fizzled

I was hoping for more, but was disappointed. Some stereotypical characters and some so unrealistic it was annoying (talking sock puppet??) I wanted to see the characters develop and change but overall flat and not worth it.
Yvonne Olson
Apr 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
I'm sorry. I feel like I shouldn't even rate it because I didn't read nearly enough of it to warrant a rating, but I read the first chapter out loud, to my roommate, and we were both flabbergasted by how bad it was.
I then flipped through to random pages and read bits and pieces, and I agree with every other review of this book that I have read: it's so pretentious.
But, how could it not be? It's literally about two twins who throw a dinner party while her parents and grandmother are in parents
Alicia
Mar 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
Not buying it... the concept is far-fetched, the relationship between Sam and Ilsa doesn't do anything for me, and the concepts of how they live and this "last hurrah" are wholly unbelievable (even in the far-reaches of my imagination). It seems like this could have been deep, this could have been something using the multiple perspectives of two talented authors (as some of their past works that I have read-- though not all), but instead it was shallow. Was that intentional? Are you supposed to ...more
Kat (the_bookish_kat)
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
this book suffered from being inconsistent. every time i picked up this book, it felt like i was reading a different book.

the cast of characters in this novel were sooooooo unlikable. i couldn’t stand ANY of them. and i also couldn’t keep track of a lot of them ?????? it took me a while to realize one of the characters was a sock puppet....

the only part i liked about this book was that the party took place over the course of the whole book. as someone who has read books with misleading summaries
Fiona M
There are things I like and don't like about this book. I liked that is was short and an easy read. I read it in 2 sittings with several days in between. Some of the characters are very interesting and memorable. I like that Sam and Ilsa are twins, and are both similar and different at the same time. They both have a bit of baggage.
I wasn't a fan of how all the characters worked. I liked Li and what she brought to the group but I felt a bit of confusion as to who was talking about what when.
Jenna
This review appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

I received a review copy from the publisher. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

I don’t think it’s any secret that I absolutely love David Levithan’s novels and his collaborations with other authors are no exception to this. Sam and Ilsa’s Last Hurrah is equal parts fun, heartwarming, and weird and I highly enjoyed it. The novel follows Sam and Ilsa who are twins and have been attending and hosting dinner parties at their
Katie
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I was sent a copy of this book by Netgalley to review.

I haven't read any Rachel Cohn books before but have read David Levithan and was a big fan of Every Day and Another Day; as well as Two Boys Kissing and Will Grayson Will Grayson. So, with that in mind I was interested to get started on this one.

The story is set inside the apartment of Sam and Ilsa's grandmother, Czarina. We never meet her but we learn a great deal about her - she sounds amazing. Sam and Ilsa are twins and are holding a
Karyn Silverman
This was... fine? I guess? It was short, and it had some moments, but it didn’t have any thing super special, and the characters didn’t have much depth, and the growth was all very fast. And also it’s rich white people with very first world problems and it felt a little irrelevant. (Also some diverse secondary characters but again, thin characterization, and also the Asian girl is good at Chemistry, lives in Queens, and is on scholarship, so that’s a little gross.) I think that the time for this ...more
Ally (book__ventures)
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rachel Cohn and David Levithan come together once again to create the newest coming of age book for 2018. In Sam & Ilsa's Last Hurrah, two twins throw one final party together in their grandmother's grand apartment. They each invite three guests a piece, the other twin unaware of each other's picks. When these eight people come together for one final night, they each find themselves growing as people, sharing their hopes and dreams, and realizing what the next step in their life will be.

SAM AND ILSA’S LAST HURRAH 1 1 Sep 27, 2019 05:09AM

• Someday (Every Day, #3)
  • Stay Sweet
  • Field Notes on Love
  • What If It's Us
  • A Prom to Remember
  • Leah on the Offbeat (Creekwood, #2)
  • From Twinkle, with Love
  • I Have Lost My Way
  • The Pros of Cons
  • This Is Kind of an Epic Love Story
  • Heretics Anonymous
  • The Rest of the Story
  • People Like Us (People Like Us, #1)
  • Meet Cute: Some People Are Destined to Meet
  • The Summer of Us
  • The Brightsiders
  • The Universe Is Expanding and So Am I (Virginia Shreves #2)
  • There's Something About Sweetie (Dimple and Rishi, #2)
Rachel grew up in the D.C. area and graduated from Barnard College with a B.A. in Political Science. She has written many YA novels, including three that she cowrote with her friend and colleague David Levithan. She lives and writes (when she's not reading other people's books, organizing her music library or looking for the best cappuccino) in New York City.
“Do you know what I learned? I learned that leaving is bullshit. Because you always take yourself wherever you go.” 0 likes
“It's like a fairy tale, and we're the shadows who are turning back into boys.” 0 likes