Jump to ratings and reviews
When the world doesn't want
you to be who you are,
you must become more yourself
than you knew you could be.

London. 1789. More than anything in the world, Wendy Darling wants to be the captain of a ship, but women aren't allowed in the Royal Navy. When she learns the Home Office is accepting a handful of women into its ranks, she jumps at the chance, joining the fight against the most formidable threat England has ever faced. Magic.

But the secret service isn't exactly what she hoped. Accompanied by a reimagined cast of the original Peter Pan, Wendy soon discovers that her dreams are as far away as ever, that choosing sides isn't as simple as she thought, and that the only man who isn't blinded by her gender might be the worst friend anyone could ask for.

Anyone, that is, except Wendy Darling.

294 pages, Hardcover

First published January 16, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Erin Michelle Sky

5 books352 followers
Erin Michelle Sky & Steven Brown, Dragon Authors

As a child, Erin fell in love with llamas and with the books of Anne McCaffrey, whose Dragonriders of Pern series inspired her to become a writer. When she finally met Anne McCaffrey at a fantasy convention some two decades later, she wept uncontrollably throughout the entire affair. She does significantly better with llamas.

Steven Brown spent his childhood reading anything he could get his hands on, sharing his favorite stories with his younger brothers and then acting them out, especially if this required sword fighting on horseback. When they ran out of books, he wrote his own, including his brothers as the main characters by sketching original illustrations on magazine clippings.

Together, they are Dragon Authors, writing science fiction and fantasy novels for teens and adults. You can find them online at https://DragonAuthors.com.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
93 (4%)
1 star
33 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 453 reviews
Profile Image for Steven Brown.
Author 5 books198 followers
May 8, 2018
Definitely one of my top two favorites of all the books I have ever written.
Profile Image for Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨.
1,055 reviews596 followers
August 30, 2019
PROBABLY MY FAVOURITE PETER PAN RETELLING 😍❤️

If anyone had seen me while I was reading this book, I imagine they must have seen something like this: 😍🤩. Because that's how I felt! I was loving this book from the very first chapter! The writing, the characters, the originality while still maintaining the feel of the original! I mean, what's not to like??

"So there you are, the most basic of introductions complete, the rest to be discovered as time goes on."

THE THINGS I LOVED! ❤️

Writing: The first thing that drew me in was without a doubt the quirkiness of he writing. It was humorous, slightly silly and completely in line with the feeling of the original story! I have seen others try to do this, but none have done it as masterfully as it's been done here!

"You can't live in your memories"
- Wendy

Pan-lore: Get ready to encounter some of your favourite Peter Pan 'lore' in completely new ways - such as a thimble/kiss, that allows Peter's ship to fly!

Wendy: I simply adore Wendy. I am not the type of person to say 'you go girl' but I found myself wanting to several times when Wendy demonstrated her fierceness, her wittyness or her cleverness. And I loved how she talked to the dogs! So cute!

Original(ity): The best retellings, in my opinion, are the ones that manage to find a completely new take on a beloved story, while still being recognisable. I have found no better Peter Pan retelling than this one! It manages to be completely original in plot while still incorporating some of my favourite Pan things!

ARC provided by the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Follow me for more book goodness: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Profile Image for Ashley Daviau.
1,728 reviews739 followers
January 5, 2019
I want to start this review by stating that I received a advanced reading copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. This in no way changes or affects my review.

This book had me completely sucked in right from page one! I’m a huge fan of fairy tale retellings but it’s extremely rare to find one that is truly original amongst the many that there are. The Wendy is one of the rare gems that manages to be completely unique and absolutely fantastic!

I really loved the setting of the retelling and how gender equality was tackled. It made for such an interesting read and I really loved how the authors handled the subject. It made The Wendy into more than just a simple fairy tale retelling and really added some depth to it.

I also really loved the way the original characters were presented. They weren’t identical but still had the quirks we’ve all grown to know and love from the Peter Pan cast. It was great fun to see them in this new light!

I really couldn’t have enjoyed this book more than I did, it truly is a stunning story! And I’m still pinching myself to make sure it’s real and that I was actually lucky enough to get my hands on an ARC!
Profile Image for Audrey.
997 reviews152 followers
July 6, 2020

This is a really cute re-telling of Peter Pan. Re-tellings don’t always work, but this one is well done. It stays true to the source material.

Wendy is an orphan who wants nothing more than to sail on a ship in the navy. As a young adult, she ends up stationed on land in Dover with Michael and John, brothers-in-arms. Captain Hook is their commanding officer. They are to look for signs of the “everlost,” or Lost Boys. Wendy eventually meets Peter, sort of a man-child, and eventually has to decide whose side she is on.

I was in dire suspense the whole time, not able to read fast enough to find out what would happen next. It’s great writing with near-perfect editing. The writers invested time and money into creating a good book. It’s funny and clever and suspenseful.

I received a free hard copy from the authors. I might have promised a review. If so, I am sorry it is so late. I am drowning in books!

Does the Dog Die?

Clean content
Profile Image for Alaina.
5,928 reviews216 followers
August 24, 2019
This was a really fun book and I'm excited to dive into the next one!

The Wendy was a retelling I didn't know I needed. Ugh, peter pan.. it has been a while since I've read anything dealing with characters from that place. I was also completely down for a bad ass version of Wendy. Sword fighting and shit. Count me in bitches.

Now that I have said something about my love for this character.. but Michael kind of annoyed me. Mostly for like 85% of this book though.. so he had something to redeem himself about. Back to Wendy, ugh, such a bad ass. She has some serious goals, like being a captain of her own ship. Unfortunately for her, she's living in a man's world and they don't see that ever happening. WELL BOYS, times-a-changing and I want her to be a damn captain. Bring it on.

Other than all of that, I liked getting to see a different side of Peter Pan and Hook. It was intriguin enough that I kind of wish I owned this book. I am, however, SUPER excited to get the next book has an ARC from NetGalley - so yeah, I'm going to dive into this real soon.

Profile Image for Erin Sky.
Author 5 books352 followers
July 30, 2018
I give the writing experience on this one 5 stars. SUPER fun to write. The characters did an excellent job of communicating with us, which is always a plus. I expected the historical research to be tedious, but boy do those Brits have some organized websites. Top notch museums and historical centers. A+.

The dogs could have gotten along better, and the innisfay made a mess of the yard on more than one occasion, but these were minor issues compared to the overall positive experience of writing this book. I can't wait to write the next one!
Profile Image for Jody.
232 reviews28 followers
March 30, 2018
This was great! I loved the way the authors did this, with Wendy being an orphan and making her way up in a world that expected women to be silent baby makers.
Wendy is a strong character but she is a bit of a Mary Sue, and has far too many potential love interests which is why I only gave it 4 stars.
But I loved the way they portrayed Peter and the boys as everlost, and the Fae aspect they added to it. I thought that was really cool.
I also liked the way they incorporated Captain Hook and the whole navy aspect. I also though it was neat how they snuck little tidbits from the classic story and maybe some Disney stuff too? It’s been a while, I can’t say for sure but some of it felt familiar :)
I’m definitely excited for the sequel, Wendy’s story is just beginning and I’m excited to see where she gets to!
Profile Image for John Gilbert.
800 reviews77 followers
September 29, 2022
A fun retelling of Peter Pan from Wendy's point of view. Especially is her desire to be a sailor, while a woman was not considered at all capable back in the time of the telling.

Captain Hook is the most decorated naval man in the English navy, and being a sexist mysoginist that he is, Wendy bests him at nearly every turn, especially as she is the only one who has ever actually spoken to Peter, who is quite enamoured of her.

Wonderful, fun stuff.
Profile Image for ☆Stephanie☆.
342 reviews42 followers
January 2, 2018
Happy New Year, all! I'm hoping to start the New Year off right with blogging some more. I know I get wrapped up in work or watching Rick and Morty...but my blog means a lot to me. So I'm making it a priority. Let's hear it for 2018!!

So I've been keeping this under wraps but I have been DYING to share it with you!

I read this awesome book, The Wendy, awhile ago. As they didn't plan to release the book until today, I had to keep it to myself and it was hard!!

I finally get to share the cover with you...and guess what? Little ol' me is QUOTED RIGHT ON THE COVER!

Let me share with you the cover of The Wendy!

Doesn't that just take your breath away? It did when I saw it, for sure. Same people that wrote The Intuitives that I raved about.

Here's my little blurb on my Hardcover copy:

I am honored to be a part of this book's journey. I have a lot of faith in this book and I hope to see it in bookstores. I do love this book and I cannot wait for the sequel.

Let me share with you the blurb...
THE WRONG KIND OF HERO.

“Girls can’t be in the navy! Girls take care of babies! You’re so stupid, you don’t know anything!”

London. 1783. Wendy Darling is an orphan, living in an overcrowded almshouse, ridiculed for believing in a future she can never have. More than anything in the world, she wants to be the captain of a ship. But that’s impossible.
Isn’t it?

By 1789, she’s sixteen, old enough to be sold into service as a dressmaker or a servant. When she learns the Home Office is accepting a handful of women into its ranks, she jumps at the chance, joining the fight against the most formidable threat England has ever faced. Magic.

But the secret service isn’t exactly what she had hoped. Accompanied by a reimagined cast of the original Peter Pan, Wendy soon discovers that her dreams are as far away as ever, that choosing sides isn’t as simple as she thought, and that the only man who isn’t blinded by her gender... might be her nation’s greatest enemy.

Sounds good, right? Who doesn't love a Peter Pan retelling?

The Wendy is a YA historical fiction slash fantasy novel that had me glued to the pages. Just when it starts getting really good, you are left at the precipice, dying to know what happens next. I'm a big champion of this book and the authors, and I definitely give it five stars easily. I'm not writing this in my typical review style because the blurb pretty much explains the story better than I could. I am however going to give you an excerpt of the book so you can see for yourselves!

Chapter 1

By the year 1780, London was bursting at the seams. Almost a million people had been stuffed into every nook and cranny, and a good number of these had no idea where they had come from. Nestled in baskets and swaddled in rags, they had appeared overnight on the doorsteps of almshouses all over the city. Babies. Staring wide-eyed at mystified caretakers, demanding explanations.

But there were none to be had.

This was why Wendy Darling believed in magic. It was the only thing that made sense.

Opinions, however, were divided on the subject.

“Babies don’t come from magic. They come from mothers.”

Mortimer Black was seven and thought he knew everything. He was different from the other children because he had arrived with a note. The note gave his name, penned in a woman’s delicate hand, and he lorded it over the rest of them every chance he got. Mortimer knew he had a mother.

“Just because some babies come from mothers doesn’t mean they all do,” Wendy would argue. She was also seven, but she was very logical.

“Yes, they do all,” he would counter. “You’re just jealous ’cause you don’t have a real name.”

“You take that back! Wendy Darling is my real name!”

But she had her doubts.

Mrs. Healey, the caretaker, was fond of the name Wendy and thought her a darling child. Wendy, darling, fetch me the pitcher, please, she would say. Or, Wendy, darling, where has little Charlie run off to?

Wendy secretly thought Mortimer might have a point.

“You’re nobody,” he would tell her, laughing and poking her with a cruel finger. “You’re just a foundling!”

Fortunately, Wendy had an excellent right jab. That usually ended the matter, at least until she was ten. Ten was the year Wendy’s whole life ended before it had even begun.

The disaster struck at Bartholomew Fair, in September of 1783.

The almshouse barely took in enough money to feed everyone, let alone send the children off to fairs. But there was a particular lord in London who loved fairs more than anything, and Bartholomew Fair most of all, with its acrobatics and its puppet shows and its exotic beasts smelling of faraway places. Of desert spices and fever dreams.

Unfortunately, a lot of drinking went on there too, and he was a public figure. He had to keep up appearances.

So this lord, whose name we won’t mention so as not to rat him out, came up with the scheme of funding a trip for the almshouse every year. “For the poor foundling children,” he explained, addressing the querulous, upturned noses of high society, “who have no mothers to take them on outings or to buy them sausages or gingerbreads or hot pies or puddings.”

He was especially fond of puddings.

He would arrive at dawn on the appointed day in September with a handful of carriages, each drawn by two fine horses, and the children would all line up behind Mrs. Healey—arranged alphabetically so she could keep proper track of them. “Adam, Agnes, Arthur, Bartholomew,” Mrs. Healey would bark, ticking the children off on her fingers. “No, Bartholomew, the fair was not named after you. Bridget, Cecilia, Charles,” and so on.

As each name was pronounced, she would tap the corresponding child lightly on the head, and he or she would be off like a shot, tumbling into a carriage. They laughed and screamed and piled on top of each other to fit in. All but Wendy, who was always last in line, terrified that this time they would run out of room after Valentine and she would be left behind.

"Wendy," Mrs. Healey finally pronounced. Wendy raced to the first carriage, but Mortimer Black stuck his head out the window before she even got to the door.

"No room!" he yelled. “Go to the back of the line!” Wendy could see for herself there was plenty of room, but she heard Mortimer’s friends laughing and carrying on. “Back of the line!” they echoed. “Back of the line, Wendy!” Wendy looked despairingly down the line at the rest of the carriages, all stuffed to the gills, with little heads and arms poking out the windows. But then Charlie, to whom one of those heads belonged, called out to her from the fourth carriage. “We have room, Wendy. If we squeeze a little more.”

Wendy trotted toward him, but only as far as the horses—a lovely pair of matching brown mares, with black manes and tails and wide, strong hooves.

"Excuse me," she said to them both. “Do you think you could pull one more? I hate to ask it. I can see you have a full load already. But I would very much like to go to the fair too, if you think you could manage it.”

"What’s this, then?" the driver grumbled. “You don’t have to ask them, for heaven’s sake. They’re just animals.”

"All right," she said, to appease him. But then she whispered to the horses anyway, “Could you?”

The mares looked at each other, and they looked back at Wendy. They puffed out their chests and held their heads high, each nodding just once against the bit.

"Thank you," Wendy whispered. Only then did she run to the door and clamber on top of the pile.

Wendy from Peter Pan (2003) - this is how I kind of picture Wendy, but with better hair lol 😂

The Wendy starts when Wendy is young and sees her grow up. You can tell by the excerpt that Wendy is special and different, and I rooted for her the whole book.

I guarantee you will enjoy this book! So here are some links (and all the info) now that it's out and available!

Title: The Wendy

Ebook: 978-1946137074

Website: http://trashdogs.com/wendy.html

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35510314-the-wendy

And here's my official rating as usual for The Wendy:

So...what are you waiting for? Doesn't this sound awesome? I provided the links so there's no excuse not to check it out!

More reviews coming your way, and I'll be doing a Goodreads wrap-up post, which will remind me how awful I did this last year as a reader! 🤦‍♀️🤯

Whatcha guys reading? Tell me! And I'll be catching up with your blogs, too! (New Year's Resolutions, bitches!) 😂🤣🙌
Profile Image for Margaret Robbins.
233 reviews18 followers
March 31, 2018
Reviews to follow in both JoLLE and School Library Journal, but...for now I will say that I loved this book! Wendy is a sixteen-year-old sassy, smart, and strong sixteen-year-old young woman in the late 1700s in England in this version of the story. She wants to be a sea captain, but she's told that as a woman, this route is not an option for her. So she does the next best thing...work for a military fleet. In her new position, she meets Peter Pan himself and has to report to the revered Captain Hook. Over time, Wendy realizes that the line between good guys and bad guys isn't always black and white and that Peter Pan might be more complex than the criminal that Hook makes him out to be. For anyone who loves fairy tale retellings and YA fantasy book, especially with empowered female protagonists, I would highly recommend this book and can't wait for the next installment. :)
Profile Image for Steff Fox.
1,183 reviews149 followers
February 5, 2021
| Reader Fox Blog |

"But this particular glance was so eloquent as to come dangerously close to conversation, and everyone knows it is impolite to enter into conversation without first performing the proper introductions all around. So let us pause for a moment to do just that."

From the year of 1902 when Peter Pan first appeared in literature to the very year we find ourselves in now, the tale of the boy who would never grow up has been told in more ways than I could personally count. As an avid lover of Peter Pan and all things involved in his beautiful world, it is exceedingly rare that I find adaptations that irrevocably rearrange my feelings for it. At the risk of stating something potentially blasphemous, it has become necessary for me to admit I have come to the conclusion that The Wendy, by Erin Michelle Sky and Steven Brown, surpasses them all.

I was excited to read The Wendy from the very moment it fell under my radar a mere nine days ago. Quickly, I decided it was the one book from 2018 that I knew I needed to read. I've read numerous retellings relating in one way or another to Peter and the characters surrounding him in the past. I have fallen in love with reiteration after reiteration from the time I was four years old, devouring all I could about the realm of Neverland and the boy, Peter, who managed to inspire in me a feeling little else has. I've critiqued and judged and enjoyed and recommended rather a large number of them.

The Wendy, by far, is my favorite and it is all due to Wendy, herself.

Our heroine begins her story, a young girl of ten, with a dream. In a world where women are looked down upon and shoved into the cookie cutter expectations of their gender by men who could not possibly even begin to understand the sheer strength and character a woman has, Wendy Darling perseveres. The degree of respect Wendy both earns and demands as she develops throughout the course of the novel is truly inspiring. She shows strength, wit, determination, and a fight that never once leaves her. At every turn she takes her society's preconceived opinion of her and makes every effort to prove her worth.

There is no question in my mind to the fact that Wendy outshines every other character in this novel. And the best thing about this fact is that the other characters are exceptional. They are weaved into the story amazingly with the perfect mix of originality and similarity, paying homage to Barrie's characters in the best way possible. I both felt that I knew the characters and was getting to know them better, something that has admittedly occasionally been lacking in some retellings.

The introduction of each character is done brilliantly and I found myself adoring them all. From the perfectly captured persona of Peter himself, to the endearingly villainous James Hook whom I simply love to hate, and even further to John, Michael, and Nana whom were all so perfect I wasn't even aware that I needed to read their characters this way until I did. Each character felt real and full of depth, even and especially those who weren't even a part of the original tale.

And it is here I must admit my love for Olaudah Equiano (or Gustavo's Vassa) and implore everyone who reads this book to read the Acknowledgements once they've reached the end of this chapter in Wendy Darling's tale. Not only is it enlightening, but it is additionally heart warming and endearingly respectable on the part of the authors. I was thoroughly pleased and excited about it as it's not every day that an author manages to blend a character like this so well into a world of fiction.

As a final homage to the characters, hilariously Wendy's eyebrow becomes a character all on it's own, speaking to those around her with an air of force and authority a great many people never have in their lives. Admittedly, this was quite a new and regularly reoccurring persona throughout the novel, intriguing in its originality, so my advice is: expect it, embrace it, love it.

And beneath all of these beautifully developed and amazing characters is a plot more engaging than most and impressive, to boot. Of course, anyone who knows the tale of Peter Pan would expect that they know where the story is headed at one point or another and I am pleased to report that Sky and Brown keep readers on their toes in the most exciting of ways. Wendy thrives in the events of her story, making decisions most unexpected and impressive. I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Perhaps the most (and really only) disappointing thing about having the pleasure to read such an amazing novel both in general and especially prior to its official publication date is the fact that the wait I shall have to suffer through for the next chapter of the story already feels painfully long. I imagine I shall end up rereading The Wendy at least twice more before the year is up. Its message is a strong and important one. We need to know not to give up on our dreams, to persevere in spite of what the world tells us we are not capable of. And behind wonderful storytelling, characterization, and whimsical notes The Wendy encourages us to do precisely that.

So, now that I have thoroughly expressed my adoration for what is sure to be the best novel I read all year, my end request is that everyone immediately go procure a copy for themselves. The Wendy is officially available on January 16th, and believe me, it is well worth the read.

I was provided a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

| Reader Fox Links |
Profile Image for Rae.
12 reviews
January 17, 2018
I'm a fan!

This is a fantastic, smart, and beautiful take on characters everyone can connect with. The writing is skillfully done to bring you into the setting. The action and danger is stressful, but balanced with lightness and humor. Peter Pan is exactly who you think he is. And the twists the Dragon Authors add to a classic story are crazy and perfect. It's a great bedtime story, for all ages. All the thumbs up.

I've always been a fan of the old children's stories (and adventure novels): The Wizard of Oz, Doctor Dolittle, Zorro, The Princess of Mars, Tarzan... of course, Peter Pan. I love to go back and reread my favorites. But as great as they are, it's often frustrating for me to have so many books on my shelf written by men, with male protagonists, steeped in outdated and trite social concepts. I love Barsoom, but I wanted just one book with a hero that looked like me.

Happily, there's a whole swathe of retold tales available now. I'm a fan -from Percy Jackson, to Malinda Lo's LGBT-friendly Cinderella story Ash, to Leigh Bardugo's modern take on Wonder Woman... I'm always up for an interesting twist on my favorite characters.

But if you're on the fence about The Wendy, take it from a fan of kid's books and reboots: this book stands out. It's more than Peter Pan, retold; it's its own story -fully realized. It's a sweet blend of timeless characters and new ideas; dramatic tension and a steady touch of humor. And at the core, the heart of the story, is a message that anyone would be privileged to impart to a young audience.

I won't ruin it for you. Go, become a fan.
Profile Image for Fernanda Granzotto.
576 reviews112 followers
December 31, 2019
*Thank you INscribe Digital and Netgalley for providing me with a copy of this book for review,all opinions are my own*

I really enjoyed seeing this new version of a story I already love so much, one of the reasons I love retellings is that we can see a story we already know in ways we never imagined.
I loved it how the writing makes it very clear that they are British,I was very good at reading correctly and listening to the accents well.
One thing I didn't like is how often I had it the same thing is explained in 3 several pages consecutively and how most men treated women (even though I know it's from the time the book is going on) it still made me very angry, something else that pissed me off in certain parts was how almost every man Wendy has some kind of relationship with is somehow in love with her.
Taking this, this is a book that brings another completely new version of the story we already know but still brings the main elements we love, is a book that also touches a lot on the role of women in society and how they are treated just because they are women.
It is a quick book to read because you get so involved in the story.
I highly recommend it if you like the Peter Pan story, be it the book or the movies and can't wait to read the next book!
Profile Image for Siobhan.
4,407 reviews463 followers
August 21, 2018
Erin Michelle Sky and Steven Brown have been on my radar for quite some time. In fact, from the moment I stumbled upon The Intuitives, I was curious and in need of more. It sounded like such an interesting read, something I would really enjoy. Instead of reading The Intuitives, though, I did my usual trick. Instead of picking up the book to have left me curious about the authors, I picked up a different book instead. Thus began my foray into The Wendy.

I love a good Peter Pan retelling and was instantly lured in by the possibilities offered by The Wendy – especially when I realised The Wendy is just the first book in The Tales of the Wendy series. A whole series based around a Peter Pan retelling? Of course, I was more than willing.

Although The Wendy was an interesting read, I need to be honest and say it wasn’t quite all I had hoped it would be. It was an interesting retelling, offering something different. It had all the characters you would hope to see in a retelling. It offered up a lot for the future of the series. It had some nice messages. However, it failed to satisfy me in the way I had hoped for. In fact, if I’m being completely honest, this wasn’t quite a full three-star rating – I rounded up, as giving a two-star rating felt overly harsh.

You see, while the book had lots of nice things for us to learn about, I feel as though nothing really happened. It was one of those first books in a series where we get lots of information, we get to know the world and the characters, but we don’t really experience all that much. I kept waiting for that big moment, yet it never came. Things happened, I’m not saying otherwise, but it was nothing that blew my mind and left an impact on me. I find such first books in the series have one of two impacts upon me – I’m either curious for more or I’m willing to walk away from a series. Although I am curious to see what comes next in The Tales of Wendy series, I doubt I’ll be going out of my way to grab the second book. I’m willing to give it a read, but it will not be at the top of my to-read list.

I know I’m in the minority with my view, though, as so many people seemed to enjoy this one. For me, I simply wanted a bit more action in a Peter Pan retelling. The Wendy was fun and original, but it was not a story that had me on the edge of my seat.
Profile Image for Cassie C.
631 reviews62 followers
January 20, 2018
Review to come!

Update 1/20/18:

See more reviews on my blog Novels and Necklaces

I received an advanced copy this novel in exchange for an honest review

I could not get enough of this story!! The Wendy is an absolutely fantastic novel that truly sweeps you off your feet! You immediately are sucked into the story...into a world where the story of Peter Pan is not quite how you remember. Peter Pan retellings have been very hit or miss for me, and I am happy to report that this book is truly a winner. It is unique and a fun twist on the original story, while still having all of the classic elements. To be completely honest, reading this book felt like I was reading a classic novel (which isn't a bad thing at all)!

The authors crafted a fun setting but also extraordinary characters. The took the original versions of these characters, expanded upon their personalities that we see in the original story, but still made them uniquely their own. All of the characters had the same quirks that we love, but they also have some new personality traits that will make you fall in love with them more. Wendy is such a strong, fierce female lead and I loved her representation. Hook is still sinister as ever, but we see a different side to him that is unexpected. I loved how the authors dealt with the subject of gender and women being seen as inferior in the time period. The story is an inspirational one at its heart as we go on a journey with Wendy to overcome the obstacles thrown in her path.

I can't wait until the next book comes out and where the story goes. I am excited to see how the authors make the next part of the Wendy/Peter Pan/Hook saga their own. I highly recommend checking this book out if you like fun retellings and are a fan of Peter Pan. You won't regret reading this hidden gem!

Happy reading :)
January 16, 2018
Can I just say this book is by far one of the greatest books I’ve read my entire life? I received an early copy of this book and in no way, does this affect or influence my review. I would love to give a huge thank you to Trash Dogs media LLC for making my wish come true and allowing me to review, “The Wendy”, by Erin Michelle Sky. I am so happy to have read this book before its release date. This also happens to be my very first review and the first book I have read from author Erin Michelle Sky.

Ever since I first found out about this book from a post on Twitter, I went on Goodreads and started reading the book’s description. I knew right away I had to get my hands on it! I mean come on now, who doesn’t love fairy tale retellings, especially one’s about Peter Pan?! I mean hello, the Disney movie was so good that I have watched it at least a thousand times. I seriously don’t want to bore you and go on, and on, on how much I loved this story. So let me get right to it. When you hear about a fairy tale being retold you may think, “Well let me guess everything will be exactly the same as the original story. Except for a couple of changes here and there.” Well that was not the case for this book. Oh no, you see this retelling of Peter Pan is vastly different and original, yet oh the same. I say the same because the Peter Pan cast of characters remains the same except for a couple of new characters. And well when I say different the minor characters offer some diversity and we of course don’t see this in the movie. You would also just have to read the book yourself, because I believe if I go on to explain how different this story is to the original one I’d be giving away spoilers. But don’t worry you still get your fair share of magic, humor, attractive characters and a little angry fairy we all so clearly remember from the movie! This book/story makes for an interesting read. The twists and turns I experienced in this phenomenal story, all the wonderful and scary emotions I had to undergo until I got to the very end, had me falling out of my seat by the time I was done with it. The characters, the plot, the ending and the book itself, are all worth it! Talking about the ending I need the second book, RIGHT NOW. I really don’t think I’ll be able to withstand a whole year without continuing this phenomenal story in the next book. My dear reader, if you ever run into this amazing book DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT HESITATE TO GET IT OR READ IT. You will be missing out on a book that could have you raising hell simply because you would love it so much and wouldn’t be able to get your hands on the sequel, until next year. This is not an opinion I’m sharing with you this is a fact. Thank you so much Erin, for writing a fantastic story. I’m so looking forward to continuing this story in the second book, I hope it’s just as amazing as the first book, if not more so!
Profile Image for Errin Krystal.
Author 4 books14 followers
January 1, 2018
The Wendy is a fantastic retelling of J.M Barrie’s classic story, Peter Pan, and follows Wendy Darling’s pursuit in sailing the high sea’s. The problem, Wendy is a girl, and girls can’t join the navy. No, their place is in the home, raising children and tending to their husbands, right? Well, Wendy is just not willing to sit back and accept her fate.

This is definitely Peter Pan as you have never seen it before. Wendy is a diviner with the British Home Office and Clandestine Services, recruited to sense magic that no one really believes in. Peter Pan the leader of the everlost, with feathered wings and fearsome fangs and Hook is a young dashing sea captain with a mane of luscious locks, though his rivalry with Pan remains intact.

In a world that is full of misogyny, Wendy Darling is a total bad-ass. Never once in her life has she allowed the narrow-mindedness of her times get in the way of what she wants. She learns how to navigate the stars, the mathematics and science involved in sailing a ship and becomes a more adept marksmen and swordsmen than most men in her platoon. She is smart, determined and I just love her to pieces, solving her problems with her cutting intellect. LOVE HER!

When she is told to stay behind during the everlost raid, she refuses and dashes into the fray sword in hand and takes on Peter Pan himself.

I absolutely love this whole encounter, it would have to be one of my favorite scenes. It is Peter and Wendy’s first meeting and I could not have asked for anything more perfect. He wrongfully thinks she incapable because she is a woman, but the tables are soon turned and there and then he comes to respect her. I love it!

Next to Wendy, Peter is my absolute favorite. He is arrogant and cocky, yet there’s an innocence to him that is just so endearing and makes me just want to hug him. He simply says what he’s thinking and poor Wendy if oft at times left a little flustered.

There is an underlying flirtation between the two which I am absolutely ga ga for! But don’t worry, this is not one of those books. Wendy definitely does not need rescuing. She can rescue herself thank you very much. But there are a few innocent glances and touches that is definitely enough to make my little romantic’s heart beat a little faster.

There is a moment when she first board Peter’s ship and her shows her the kiss that helps the ship fly…(BTW, Wendy’s first time on Pan’s ship? my other favorite scene) Of course if you know the story it is actually a thimble enchanted by Tinker-Bell. (Yes, Tink is there too!) But Wendy takes a quick step away from him, it’s really quite funny. This scenario leads into what has to be my favorite line in the entire book.

A little later on in the book Peter is looking at her and “Wendy thought he might be about to thimble her…”

BEST LINE EVER!

The writing is witty and clever and very reminiscent of some of the classic novels I have read in the past. There were so many parts where I was just outright grinning as I read.

I especially enjoyed watching Wendy match wits and intellect with the illustrious Captain James Hook is everything I never knew I needed. Watching this experienced and, despite his narrow-minded misogyny, intelligent man get torn down by a seventeen year old girl who’s knowledge just about rivals his own was pure gold.

When the book came to a close, I was left feeling hopeful and excited. I cannot wait to see what Wendy’s next adventure brings!
Author 4 books55 followers
April 23, 2018
In this imaginative re-telling of Peter Pan, Wendy Darling is an orphan who longs for a life of adventure at sea. Ignoring the insults and doubts of the other children, she is determined to master the skills necessary to one day command her own ship. At sixteen, Wendy seizes the opportunity to serve under the handsome but insufferable Captain Hook as one of the handful of women selected to help protect the country from a threat unlike anything they have ever faced; a mysterious band of magical beings abducting small boys. With the help of her fellow soldiers, Micheal and John, Wendy embarks on a dangerous mission to locate the enigmatic trickster known as Pan and his gang of Lost Boys. But the closer she gets to uncovering the truth, the more she worries that she's fighting for the wrong side.

This book is a delightful and surprisingly hilarious new spin on a classic tale. Equal parts action-adventure and romantic comedy, you don't have to already be familiar with the story of Peter Pan to enjoy this book. Sky and Brown bring fresh magic and wonder to a well-known story, and provide readers with a skilled and cunning heroine, outsmarting her male counterparts at every turn, always staying one step ahead. Determined to forge a place for herself in this male-dominated world, this new version of Wendy Darling is determined to show these men just what it means to fight like a girl.
2 reviews
January 7, 2018
This book explores an age old problem of a woman striving for leadership that crosses the gender barrier. This in the late 18th century where brotherhood was literal, exclusive, with every male determined to belong and protect the barrier –– especially at sea.

Wendy is born into Jane Austen’s London, and uses wonderful creativity to be herself (reflecting the brilliance of the book’s authors). Does Wendy succeed,- really? I look forward to volume 2!
98 reviews2 followers
October 15, 2018
Amazing

I have never read "Peter Pan", but I have seen the animated Disney version. Reading through this book is like seeing an alternate universe where Wendy, John, Michael, and Nana have changed but also remain. Wendy's courage has always been there. Peter talking about his shadow, and explaining "good thoughts make you fly" are the same yet very different. It has been wonderful reading this book I started only a few hours ago. I could not put it down. I wait with much excitement for the next installment.
Profile Image for Stephanie Gleizier.
Author 4 books8 followers
March 4, 2018
This was the best Peter Pan retelling I've read. All of the characters were lovable and remarkable. I can't wait to see what happens next. If only 2019 were closer.
Profile Image for Cindee.
740 reviews31 followers
June 23, 2020
I really enjoyed reading this book it was different from any Peter Pan retelling I have ever read. I really loved how all of the characters were re imagined. I really loved the characters especially Wendy there is so many great things about her a few are her want to be more than what the world wants her to be. I also loved John and Michael and the dogs Nana and Poppy they had so much personality I really loved them. I really loved the plot of this book it starts out with Wendy wanting to be so much more than she is supposed to be and moves to an amazing adventure with some much more to it than it was thought to be. So overall I loved this book will be reading more soon.
Profile Image for Nicole (TheBookWormDrinketh) .
224 reviews35 followers
February 16, 2018
I would like to thank Trash Dogs Media for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

“If women ever sail the sea,

They’ll scrub the decks for men like me!

They’ll marry none but Davy Jones,

And for their children, only bones!”

These are words that Wendy Darling had chanted at her all her life as she grew up dreaming of the sea and joining the Navy. When she begins to think that maybe Davy Jones will be preferable to just growing up to the women’s duty of “having babies” she finds Olaudah Equiano (or Gustavus Vassa as was his slave name) and thinks that all her prayers have been answered and that under his tutelage she will finally get what her heart desires

“What the heart desires most in all the world,” Mr. Equiano reminded her gently, “does not always come to us when we wish it. Such yearnings cannot be rushed. We must work for them. And we must continue to work for them. Even when all seems lost. So that we will be ready, should the heavens find a way to deliver us.”

But, try and train though she would, the heavens did not seem to be delivering her anywhere, even joining the Fourteenth Platoon of the Nineteenth Light Dragoons at Dover Castle to sense magic for them, she is let down. As it is a boring, tedious jobs reading dusty facts out of dusty books. Until the “unmistakable scent of magic permeated the air as he gazed down upon her, a look of cold, merciless appraisal in his ice-blue eyes.” and Wendy Darling finally comes face to face with Peter Pan.

“When confronted with the imminent possibility of one’s own death, the important thing is not to panic. That is what everyone says, and they say it because it is true. Remaining calm will always save you, which is precisely what makes it such a difficult thing to do, but panicking never will, which is why it is absolutely, positively never the best choice.”

Peter is the leader of, what is known to Wendy, as the Everlost, which has been described to her as a creature with no soul who comes to England t steal children to drain of their blood.

“Ah ha!” he exclaimed, his face lighting up in a sudden realization. “A creature without a soul! Ergo, lost forever to heaven! Ergo, ‘the everlost’! Well, that explains it, finally, I’ve always wondered.” He smiled at Nana and rubbed her head merrily as though she were sharing his private revelation.

“But… how could you not have understood the meaning of your own name?” Wendy blinked in surprise.

“Don’t be absurd. It’s not my name. It’s your name. You made it up. Why would I call myself everlost?” He regarded her the way a child might scrutinize a particularly baffling puzzle lock from the East, as though she were an exotic treasure of unfathomable mystery. “You might lose me, to be sure, but one can never lose oneself. The very idea is ridiculous. I’m always right where I am!”

When she is the only one who can track down the Everlost and Peter’s supposed “flying ship” that may be able to take her to this Island that he seems to exist, will she choose Peter and the Adventure he can offer her? Or will she choose Captain Hook and the possible life at sea that she has dreamed of all her life?

I really enjoyed this book! I liked the focus on Wendy being a strong female influence who won’t just quietly back down into her mothering or babysitting duties. I like to see her finally, not taking care of other children, but learning to fight and the maths and the stars and dreaming of bigger things. It was a beautifully written novel and a twist on the tale that was refreshing and new.

My one complaint about the book was the character of Tinkerbell… I’m sorry, this is me being picky I’m sure. They describe her as “a palm-sized, golden dragon speaking in a symphony of delicate chimes” and that “Tinker Bell belonged to that rarest and most precious of fairy species (known as the innisfay by those who still remember such things) who can turn themselves into any sort of animal at will.”

I really like the IDEA of this… but, I’m a HUGE fan of Tinkerbell and I don’t know if I can get behind her being a Shapeshifter.. totally my own beef. But, very well described and a very cool concept all the same. That’s the thing about twists on classics. You never know what might get twisted!!

All in all a very interesting and unique take on the Pan story with a wonderful focus on Wendy that I adored and WHAT A BEAUTIFUL COVER!! I definitely recommend a read!!
Profile Image for Rachel.
1,396 reviews145 followers
February 8, 2018
OMG! Just been talking with Erin (the author) and I'm getting a copy of this book from her!!

I'm super excited!!!

Plus, seriously, this cover is divine !!!! 😍😍😍😍

************************************************************************

*thank you to Erin Michelle Sky for sending me a copy of her book in exchange for an honest review*

4 stars.

Omg this was so enjoyable!! It was so much fun to read and I just zoomed through it. I really liked Wendy. She is a girl to look up to, such a great role model. I'm sure fans of the original Peter Pan will defiantly enjoy this retelling. I loved all the references to Peter Pan. Quite often phrases made me smile or laugh. Peter was still the Peter we know and love. The storyline was good and had quite a few life lessons in it too. There was one character from the beginning third of the book that I had hoped to hear about again and so I was very pleased to see he came back. I won't say who but those who have read this can probably guess. I know I've said this alot, but the cover is so so good! I feel privileged to own a copy. I can't wait for the sequel!
Profile Image for Jamie Dacyczyn.
1,561 reviews86 followers
September 29, 2022
4.5 stars, rounded up. Is that too high? I don't know, but I really enjoyed this one. In fact, I ordered a signed copy and the sequel within ten minutes of finishing the book, so.....

I'll be honest: Peter Pan isn't my favorite story, even though I feel like I should love it from a childhood nostalgia viewpoint (cuz Hook, amirite?). Retellings of more recent classics like this or Alice in Wonderland aren't my favorite either; for whatever reason, I prefer retellings of fairy tales or folklore. So....I went into this one with a bit of skepticism.

To my surprise, I loved it! I think this may be my favorite Peter Pan retelling yet. There's something about the writing style that feels really fun, like the story is being told to you by a mischievous narrator. I wouldn't be able to describe it, except to say that maybe it was a teensy bit like T. Kingfisher? Whimsical and humorous?

I even liked this take on the Peter Pan story. It was delightful to see how different elements came into place, and intriguing to try to predict where the story would follow the original. This is HEAVILY set up for a sequel (Wendy doesn't even get to Neverland in the first book), but the book is a little on the shorter side and a breeze to read, so I know I won't mind a trilogy.

Now, quibbles that kept this from being a FULL five stars:

There were some transitions that felt a bit abrupt. Wendy decides to join the Home Office, and then does....in like a paragraph. It was very fast. Or she decides to steal horses and flee into the night, so she does...in like a paragraph. It was very fast. There were a few other instances where it felt like certain shifts in scenery or circumstances happened with very little warning. This made the plot move along quickly, but it could also be a bit brisk.

Another thing is the way Wendy is pretty much the only female character, and ALL the men think she's beautiful. Ok, this is definitely in keeping with the original story, where Peter and all of the Lost Boys adore Wendy just because she's a girl. Tink (ie, the only other significant female) is super jealous, just like the original version. I guess I would have liked it if there were more non-male characters, women or otherwise, even if that meant genderbending some of the original characters. Oh well. As for Wendy being beautiful....*shrugs* I mean, some people ARE astonishingly beautiful. Being beautiful and admired by men does not preclude a woman from being an interesting protagonist and having stories, just ask Hedy Lamarr or Peggy Shippen, so I guess I shouldn't dock points.......I think I'm so used to the trope of female characters who are "plain" or "ordinary" as a means to make them more relatable (while still snagging the guy, of course), that encountering a character who is openly acknowledged as beautiful feels almost anti-feminist? But it's shouldn't, right? All women are capable of adventures!

Anyway, my first impression of this book was "I really enjoyed it!" so that's what I'm basing my rating on. Maybe subsequent re-reads will make me analyze the character development or the plot better, but for now I'm just loving it for the adventure story that it is!
Profile Image for Megan.
1,073 reviews22 followers
January 22, 2018
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is a re-imagining of how life would be if Peter Pan were to visit Wendy's time as England's enemy and Wendy was an orphan who dreamed of going off on adventures on a ship in a world where women were not taken very seriously.

Wendy is no young child but a woman of eighteen who joins the military in the hopes of having adventures and hopefully getting a chance to get out of the area. Michael and John are grown men in the military who just happen to have Wendy in their ranks, though none of them are related to each other, and are stationed off the coast of Dover with a platoon of men and a Newfoundland fondly named Nana who is Wendy's very loyal companion. When Wendy makes contact with some of the mysterious beings called the everlost, she is shocked to find that they can't be harmed by military fire and their leader Peter seems to be fascinated by Wendy. After miraculously healing one of her companions, she sends a report to the superior officer who just happens to be Captain Hook!

This was an interesting take on the classic Peter Pan that involves adventure, magic, a stubborn heroine, friends in unlikely places in a world where Captain Hook is a superior officer in the military and Wendy is a diviner for the military who just happens to catch his eye in a not so flattering way after making contact with the everlost (the magical bloodsuckers) who are led by Peter Pan and are believed to take children and suck blood from unsuspecting innocents.

Wendy soon finds herself stuck at Hook's estate where she has been ordered to stay in order for Hook to "keep an eye on her" while an investigation of her report is looked into and she makes friends with the staff there including Poppy the dog, Mrs. Medcalf the cook, Colin who is Mrs. Medcalf's cook and learning the ways of a groundskeeper and Monsieur Dumas.

She soon realizes that Hook will not let her go back to her post very easily so she proceeds to so some rather crazy things in the hopes that he will get fed up and send her back to Dover. Alas things don't go as planned and Peter shows up shortly after she arrives because he's still curious about the red haired girl, can't seem to help himself and soon forms an unlikely friendship with said red haired girl.

Soon Wendy realizes that things are not always what they seem and that Peter may not be as much of the enemy as she has been led to believe. She finds herself drawn to this mysterious man who commands a band of unruly kids, has a temperamental little companion called Tink, seems to hate Hook with a passion and takes her to visit a flying ship!

When she finds a way to hopefully finally be free of Hook and back to her post, Wendy soon realizes that Hook has some sinister things planned and races to hopefully save Peter and his crew from being destroyed by Hook.

If you enjoy retellings of the classic Peter Pan with a strong heroine and a healthy dose of magic, you will enjoy this book. It was such a pleasure to get a chance to read this book and I'm so very glad that it's the first book in a series!
Profile Image for Joanna .
425 reviews84 followers
January 6, 2020
Happy New Year Goodreads

I’m hoping that 2020 is a better year for reading for me and so far its starting out well. The Wendy was a recommendation that I found on a Booktube channel last year and decided to give a go. I have never read the original Peter Pan novel and only have the Disney’s adaptation to use as a reference however I did find this reimagining very good.

I enjoyed the more structured world and character build in this book employed versus the adaptation. It brought depth to just about everything and everyone in the book. You immediately see the war that is happening between Peter’s crew and England and the author does not shy away from the violence of it. You definitely get that there is more to the conflict between Hook and Peter then just some boy wishing to annoy an adult because they keep him from having fun. There is a real hatred there and it’s something I want to know and explore more in the second book. I also enjoyed seeing Wendy navigating the waters of the political world she is immersed in and I do wish to see if she can get the respect she so deserves by getting this war settled.

All in all not a bad start to the year. I hope to get the chance to listen to the second book when it becomes available via audiobook.

Happy Reading

Jo
Displaying 1 - 30 of 453 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.