Start by marking “The Remembered Queen (The Mad Queen's Massacre, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Remembered Queen (The Mad Queen's Massacre, #1)

The Remembered Queen

(The Mad Queen's Massacre #1)

"They've started calling me the Remembered Queen. Because no one will ever forget what I did."

Jon grew up a petty criminal, picking pockets and running dice games in Anhalt, the cosmopolitan capital of Forint. Now, he lives in a tiny backwater, hiding from his past and trying to forget a tragedy so large it nearly destroyed him.

His boring, quiet life is shattered when a s
Kindle Edition, 1, 350 pages
Published July 7th 2017

Melissa
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed
The Remembered Queen by J. Ellen Ross is the first book in a new epic fantasy series. The story is written in third-person with three main point-of-view characters. The change in point-of-view always takes place with either the start of a new chapter or after a divider so it is never confusing. This book is very well-written with an intriguing plot and fascinating characters. I was pretty much hooked from the beginning.

The plot is intricate and simple at the same time. I love the underlying mys
Sri
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh wow! Just wow! I have so many things to gush about this book.

I love the fact that this starts with that scene in a tavern where a broken woman alludes to being a monster. Somewhere I think all of us think we're monsters for one or other things we've done.

The author has writen the queen's guilt so well. She did something horrific and unforgiveable and I really liked her journey of going from deep sorrow and guilt to disbelief to disenchanted to hopeful to rage. A lot of emotions were traced
Jesikah Sundin
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cover-love, fantasy
"'None of you truly understand what I did,' Aviana declared. 'So I'll tell you, and then you'll know.'"

A dark, haunting tale of two people, one an ex-Queen and the other an ex-thief, who find themselves entangled in a sinister plot of power and greed. Both are tormented by their past. Aviana, the Mad Queen of Tolar, is accused of murdering hundreds, including her own mother. Jon, a widower, feels responsible for the death of his wife and newborn son. Together they learn the courage to face their
Liz Gillis
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing

i literally couldn't put this book down its a true page turner, the sympathetic Jon, the questionably mad Aviana, a dark mage with his nightmare creatures, and a race against time to find the truth behind what really happened during the Mad Queens Massacre.
Maureen Hoar
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A monster to adore

I am hooked on this story. The author weaved a tale of redemption and friendship. Avianna is a ruined queen on the run for crimes against her people. She is guilt ridden and self loathing. Jon is a widower with nothing to live for yet he finds the forgotten queen and assists her. Their journey takes them across the land fighting Henchmen, assassins and magical creatures in search of help. Jon believes in the queen even though avianna is defeated. I loved this kinship and loyalt
Kina
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I give this book 5hearts

What a story, from the imagery to the very complicated plot this is one of those books that completely entraps you into its world, making the characters and events come to
life.
Though the story has many aspects and layers I found it relatively easy to keep up with what was happening, unless I was very tired ,than I had to occasionally reread some pages.
Jon a man hiding from his tragic past stumbles upon Aviana the queen that vanished years before after a terrible inciden
Christinaraven
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was an addicting story to read. By the end of Chapter 1 I was hooked. I just had to see how it ended and was not disappointed. I liked how Jon meets Aviana and ends up compelled to help her out. I loved how at the very beginning Jon thinks Aviana is just a poor crazy girl, but as the story evolves things change. My honest review is - A very addicting well written story that just sucked me in. I loved the twists and parts that surprised me. A great story full of the things that make a fantas ...more
Philip Plante
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very Clever

This is a different kind of a story get my point of view. Jon is endearing and very human, whereas Aviana is the kind of person who both repels and brings out a protective streak. I can't wait to continue the story.
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
Can I Have the Sequel Now?

I loved this. Aviana, Jon, Brandt and Ezri are love. I already suspected the truth behind Aviana's story, but I loved seeing it get revealed. Her reaction tore at my heart. I'm sure glad she found friends and someone to care for.
SouthernAngel
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fast paced read for this first book of the series with a intriguing world of great characters, magic and mayhem. I can't wait to see what's next for Aviana and Jon.
I voluntarily reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book.
Sherry Vaughan
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was absolutely one of the best books I have ever read. The story is chilling. You feel so sorry for the heroine who was badly used.
Julie Bird
Dec 23, 2017 rated it liked it
a little bit slow going. DNF
Jonathan
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reviews are...

...by and large an expression of preference more often than a true weighing of talent. In this story, I knew there would be a twist because of the characters but couldn’t be sure of where Ross would go. I enjoyed the twists and turns, the misdirection, and fully formed personalities she drew in her landscape. The tragedy is all the more tragic when one has sympathy for the character. In this case, I began to really like the people in the story and appreciate them.

In other words, I
michael fultz
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Spellbound

Couldn't put this story down from the tavern all the way to the end,fast paced excellent blend of characters mixed with an intriguing storyline that is told as if your there loved it
Volpot
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Not bad. Might read sequel
Jennifer, Just beyond normal ♑
I loved this book! Wish book 2 was already released!! I could not put this down, Aviana and Jon just pulled me in.
Alma Twelve
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it
5 love stories told alongside each other- family version, worst version, best version and friend version. Blend together might actually have a real relationship. Not bad. Not great.
Steve Woolsey
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very good book

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who live fantasy. A truly enjoyable plot, full of suspense and intrigue.
Colby
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable

Really enjoyed the writing style and the characters. It was an interesting premise that kept me wanting to read more.
Christal
Nov 12, 2017
Emmanuelle
Nov 11, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Under Clock and Key (The Thief's Apprentice Book 3)
  • Cendrilla: A Fairy Tale
  • De stem van de zee (Eiland in de mist, #1)
  • Nessy's Locket (The Artifact Hunters #5)
  • Jupiter Storm
  • Dawning Ascent (The Pearson Prophecy #1)
  • End of the Last Great Kingdom (The Brimstone Chronicles #1)
  • A Demon in the Desert (Grimluk, Demon Hunter, #1)
  • Burn Bright
  • Nika (Seychatka #1)
  • The Swordswoman
  • The Shattered Orb (Vagrant Souls, #1)
  • Making a Tinderbox (The Tinderbox Tales, #1)
  • The Deepest Poison (Clockwork Dagger, #0.5)
  • The Time Table (The Stobes Trilogy, #1)
  • The Curious Affair of the Witch at Wayside Cross (The Curious Affair Of, #2)
  • The Mechanic's Mate (The Diesel War #1)
  • Infernal Ties (Infernal Hunt, #1)
A transplanted Texan, I now live in Canada with my husband and our three rescue dogs. I work in high tech, which has nothing to do with fantasy, romance or writing.

When I'm not busy chasing dogs around or rushing someone to the vet, I love to read and play video games. I have a hobby of having hobbies, so I've also been known to do sculpting, beadwork, and painting.