Start by marking “A Million Junes” as Want to Read:
A Million Junes

A Million Junes

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  7,015 ratings  ·  1,370 reviews
Romeo and Juliet meets One Hundred Years of Solitude in Emily Henry's brilliant follow-up to The Love That Split the World, about the daughter and son of two long-feuding families who fall in love while trying to uncover the truth about the strange magic and harrowing curse that has plagued their bloodlines for generations.

In their hometown of Five Fingers, Michigan, the
Hardcover, Book of the Month, 391 pages
Published 2017 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about A Million Junes, please sign up.
Emily Hi, Kait! It's another standalone but is definitely a story that could exist within the same world! I've seen a lot of confusion with this, I think…moreHi, Kait! It's another standalone but is definitely a story that could exist within the same world! I've seen a lot of confusion with this, I think since the book is described as "follow-up" but yes, it's its own story with new characters, a new setting, and a new premise! (less)
Hannah Yes, but it includes magical realism

·  7,015 ratings  ·  1,370 reviews

Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
4.5*

I adore magical realism, and this was like a Shakespearean tragedy (think Romeo and Juliet) magical realism hybrid, so it was right up my alley. This definitely isn't for everyone as it requires a certain suspension of disbelief, but if you allow yourself to get lost and embrace the oddities of this story, you will most likely love it like I did. The writing had the perfect amount of whimsy and darkness to it and everything just clicked to create this wonderfully strange tale. Now I will say
emma
I LOVE EMILY HENRY.

I love Emily Henry, and I love June (aka Jack O'Donnell IV) and I love Saul and I love Hannah and I love Jack O'Donnell III and I love families and I love magical realism and I love this book.

I love it so, so, so so so so much.

Changing this to a five star because a) obviously and b) you should always five star books that are so pretty they make you tear up a little bit on a Greyhound bus.

-----------
ORIGINAL REVIEW

UGH. YES.

Those of you wh
Emily
Apr 01, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: myself, a year ago
This is my fun little book about love, lakes, ghosts, grief, inheritance, magic, Michigan, and the meaning of life and death. it's chill.
jessica
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
for me, a books writing is the most important part. for some, its the characters. for others, it may be the story development. but i think the writing is what makes the difference between a good book and an unforgettable one.

for example, magical realism is still a genre i am working on liking. im either a fantasy person or a contemporary person, so it makes me a bit uncomfortable when the two combine. however, the writing in this made me love this book so much. the genre may be outside my comfo
Lala BooksandLala
Swoon. Emily Henry's writing style is just everything.
may ❀
i've pretty much come to terms with the fact that magic realism and i, do not get along

ever since i read maggie stiefvater's raven cycle series (back in 2016) i thought it was going to be the genre that spOKE TO MY SOUL
no, it just turns out that maggie's thing

anyways this year it kinda came to my attention (after reading 2 anne-marie mclemore books and being in the constant state of emotion of: ¿??¿?¿¿?¿?¿¿?¿?¿¿) that perhaps magic realism,,,,,,isn't my thing

SO WHEN I HEARD THIS BOOK WAS PART
alexandra ling
this review was originally posted on twirling pages

i’ve read many many amazing books these past few months, but never one that made me want to start reviewing again. but A Million Junes makes me want to share something; it makes me want to feel something deeper and actually talk about it. simply put, A Million Junes is so incredibly special.

in all honesty, i don't think this is everyone's cup of tea. the concept is a little strange because it's not quite contemporary but also not quite anything
Jeff Zentner
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is utterly spellbinding in every way. The language, the descriptions, the mythology. Emily Henry is just a brilliant writer. That's all there is to it. This book is impossibly full of magic.
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Wow. This was like a mix of I'll Give You the Sun and Holes. Such a beautifully strange story. I already want to re-read this. I loved it SO much. *sobs forever*
Nastassja

DNF at page 235

I am sorry, but this book is utterly and irrevocably not my cup of tea. I struggled with it for more than a week and I don't see a point of doing it any longer. I am just not interested in the story or characters at all. It's sad, though, that I have to call it my first ARC DNF, but, well, it is my first ARC DNF.

A Million Junes was my first Emily Henry book and I've heard quite a lot of good about her debut The Love That Split the World, so I when I saw the ARC of June, I thoug

Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review could also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

There was so much to love about this book. It was almost a magical experience reading this book. The story just kind of sprang to life for me and I was really swept away by the story. I couldn't get this story out of my head and if I had a moment free I was reading this book. This was a book that I quickly learned to expect the unexpected and just let the beauty of the storytelling take over. Simply put, this was an amazing book.

Ja
Mari

I wish so much this were a true 5-star book for me. It was five stars in my heart and five stars through perhaps the first 50-60%. The ending wasn't bad, by any means, but it lost a bit of its own magic with too many explanations (ones that didn't always fit to me) and a literal walk-and-talk of exposition at the end to tie everything together. For a story that flitted so magically at the beginning, the laying out of all the pieces really halted the magic for a moment.

Other than that o
Stacee
I am a sucker for anything that compares itself to R+J, but couple that with Emily Henry's name and I didn't need to know anything else.

I love love loved June and Saul. They're both grieving and trying to work through it and I loved every scene with them together. They have an immediate and hilarious banter. I could have easily read a million more pages of the two of them. The entire cast of characters is delightful. {I would like more Hannah please!} It did get a bit confusing with all of the
Roshani Chokshi
Scorchingly beautiful. I loved Henry's debut (THE LOVE THAT SPLIT THE WORLD) but A MILLION JUNES broke my soul. This was such a transcendent and moving book about grief and legacy, fraying memory and steeped hate. Henry's writing feels like a knife in the night—unexpected, cutting, and heart-jolting.
Malanie
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Malanie by: emma
She’s most beautiful when she’s this relentless kind of happy. Maybe that’s when everyone is their most beautiful, especially to those who love them.

This is the Emma Mills / Laura Ruby love child we never expected, and yet here it is in our lives. We have all the friendship + slow burn + mild romance of Emma Mills, paired in perfect harmony with Laura Ruby’s flair for magical realism. IT WAS A SIGHT. I feel very blessed to live in a world where something like this is possible c: c:

Because t
Gabby
“Grief is an unfillable hole in your body. It should be weightless, but it's heavy. Should be cold, but it burns. Should, over time, close up, but instead it deepens.”

This was going to be a 3 star book for me until that ending.. oh my god my heart. This is a story about this girl named Jack who goes by June, she's named after her Dad and their family thinks they've been cursed. This is a gorgeous story about the love between a Father and a daughter, and the grief someone can experience when th
Aj the Ravenous Reader

I thought I was already done with magical realism until I’ve read A Million Junes. It’s truly beautifully written without being too flowery which I usually fear from magical realism books. Sometimes, they’re written too lavishly that I couldn’t understand most of it but this book is different. In fact, it reads more like a contemporary. It’s emotional, funny and engrossing and not hard to read at all.

The characters seem really real, and well-developed. The plot is also very interesting. Basical
Brandie
Beautiful writing, witty & realistic dialogue, a bad-ass heroine, a swoony love interest, a unique and magical plot - I loved every minute of this book!
Jillian
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I need to gather my thoughts but just know that this is now one of my favorite books of all time. I hate myself for putting off reading this for so long. It’s an incredible, beautifully written story about grief and loss but told in a unique and fantastical way. Even with magic houses and ghosts and curses, the emotion is grounded in a genuine real way that at points made me think there was a magical hill where you really could see the people you love and lost again. This book is easily one of m ...more
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
Magical realism is quickly becoming my go-to sub-genre. It lends itself to the here and now while also being a bit mired in fantasy elements. Add to that the star-crossed lovers aspect and I am sold. The O'Donnells and the Angerts have generations-long feud that rivals that of the Hatfields and McCoys and A Million Junes is basically the unraveling of that tale, of how the feud started and how it will end. There is banter. There are flashbacks. And there is magic. And it all culminates into a gl ...more
Justine
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-read
I really enjoyed this one.

It was quite far into the magical realism genre, which I loved, and I adored the story itself. The book is about reexamining what you think you know about the people you love, about grief and loss, and learning to let go of the past and move forward. The romance and friendship between June and Saul was balanced and didn't feel overwrought, so in that sense there was a mature and lasting feel to their relationship.

This was my first book by Emily Henry, and I found her wr
Book of the Month
A Midsummer Night’s Fever Dream
By Judge Katie Cotugno

Once in a blue forever, you come across a book that features so many of your favorite elements that you can’t help but wonder if it was written specifically for you. A Million Junes felt that way to me: part Shakespearean retelling and part Alice Hoffman-style magical realism, the novel teems with luminous, evocative language and characters so alive I half-expected them to climb off the page and walk around my house. Throw in a forbidden roman
Peri June
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-challenge
"You know life's not like this. Even when it's good, it's hard and terrible and you lose things you can't ever replace."

I haven't read a lot of magical realism and, I have to admit, it's weird. (I like weird).
Here we have a generations-long feud between two families: the O'Donnells and the Angerts. It's a deeply rooted hatred that has brought a great deal of misfortune to both families.

A curse?

You know what happens next, don't you?

FORBIDDEN LOVE!!!

June and Saul can't help falling in love even th
Rebekah
My Thoughts:
THIS. WAS. AMAZING. period, done. What more can I say? okay fine. seriously though, I’m gonna own this book.

This is a story of multiple complex relationships with magical realism. This story is compared with Romeo and Juliet which it had that vibe but it is NOT romeo and Juliet, I promise. The story unfolds in multiple timelines while maintaining a consistent current timeline. It’s so different than other books I’ve read like it! With each of the timelines, the time period can be pre
Irene Sim
This reminded me so much of The Weight of Feathers. It has a similar Romeo and Juliet theme.
I had the author on my radar ever since I read her debut novel the love that split the world. I was really impressed with her writting and I couldn't wait to read her next story.
"A Million Junes" prooved to be everything I was expecting from the author. It is heavier on the magical realism but that didn't bother me at all. EH creates a magical world, a place blessed by the Gods, a heaven on earth. But pe
Syndi
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
DNF.

i just cant connect with this book at all.
Tara ☽
4 Stars

The synopsis of this book tricks you into thinking it is a love story.

I suppose that descriptor isn’t wholly inaccurate - there is a romance, after all, but it’s only one element of this very heartfelt and emotional book. I would say it is less a love story, and more just a story about love. Love in all its different shapes and sizes: love that takes the form of grief, love of friends and family, and the true love of another soul that not everybody finds in life.

Magical realism has always
Pace - 7/10
Ending - 7/10
84/100 = B
3/5 stars

This is such an adorable book. It's crazy and the ideas are far fetched but it's cute. The writing is good, characters are good. All in all a good story:)
Lilly (Lair Of Books)
There aren't many books I can say will stay with me for a lifetime...this may in a way have been a Romeo & Juliet retelling...it was so much more than that to me. This was a story of grief & loss. The love of btwn a father & a daughter. It was beautiful & for me, it brought back many memories of my own dad. I am beyond happy to have read this one, happy & sad tears...full review to come on my blog ;)

Full review can also be found on my blog LairOfBooks: https://lairofbooksblog
Lily ☁️
“Letting go is not forgetting. It’s opening your eyes to the good that grew from the bad, the life that blooms from decay.” //

Blog | Bloglovin’ | Tumblr | Instagram

• The Revenge of Eli Monpress (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #4-5)
  • The Dreaming, Vol. 3
  • Return Once More (The Historians, #1)
  • The Ghost and Mrs. Hobbs
  • The Secrets of Story: Innovative Tools for Perfecting Your Fiction and Captivating Readers
  • Juniper Lemon's Happiness Index
  • My Name Is Brain Brian
  • Have a Nice Day
  • Behold the Bones (Beware the Wild, #2)
  • Cry of the Sea (Juniper Sawfeather, #1)
  • The Hidden Memory of Objects
  • Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies
  • The Sisters Chase
  • The Last Thing You Said
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Girls in the Moon
  • Prince in Disguise
  • The Memory Trees
“Letting go is not forgetting. It's opening your eyes to the good that grew from the bad, the life that blooms from decay.” 41 likes
“Maybe for some people, falling in love is an explosion, fireworks against a black sky and tremors rumbling through the earth. One blazing moment. For me, it's been happening for months, as quietly as a seed sprouting. Love sneaked through me, spreading roots around my heart, until, in the blink of an eye, the green of it broke the dirt: hidden one moment, there the next.” 27 likes