Start by marking “Kristian's War (The Searchers Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Kristian's War (The Searchers Series, #1)

Kristian's War

(The Searchers)

Kris Anders, a dirt-poor farmer, lives in a land where evil forces take the form of men. The sins of his past weigh heavily on his mind. When a stranger directs him to take a new path, Kris begins the journey of a lifetime towards a distant King who is rumored to solve all problems. But then a ruthless soldier is dispatched by the ruler of the dark land to capture or kill ...more
Paperback, First, 200 pages
Published August 21st 2017 by Independently published

To ask other readers questions about Kristian's War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kristian's War

Beagle Lover (Avid Reader)
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Religion, self-realization, military issues, fractured marriages
Recommended to Beagle Lover (Avid Reader) by: Goodreads
Sarah Grace Grzy
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 15+ for mild violence
Wow! I am actually quite surprised by this book. I wasn't sure what to expect when I started it.

Kristian's War is very unique. Think Pilgrim's Progress retelling set in present\future time, where evil takes the form of men, and weapons and tactics are necessary to fight them. Kristian is on a journey to the King, and he must fight Past, Shame, Condemnation, and more on the way, with help from Evan(gelist) and others.

I was somewhat confused as to *why* Kristian decided to make the journey, and
Jazzy
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
my blog: http://thrivinghope.blogspot.com

SO. I got a review copy of this book from the author, which was pretty cool.

my review - 4.5 stars
I really really enjoyed this book. Short as it was, busy as I had gotten, and long as it took me to finish... I really did enjoy it. However, when I got to the end, I had a full feeling. The kind of feeling that means I didn't feel "hungry" for more, which is both good and bad. Let me explain.

When I started reading this book, I was fully prepared to finish it
Maddy
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, owned-books
This was pretty good! The writing was done well and I really enjoyed the storyline. There really wasn’t any dry parts. I was recently able to read Pilgrims Progress and it was neat to see how this book was similar, and yet the author put his own twist to it. I read this very quickly and it definitely keeps you wanting to see what’ll happen next!

I think any Pilgrim Progress fans would enjoy this story!
Gabriellyn
Overall Impression

Kristian’s War is, I believe, a modern retelling of Pilgrims Progress. And, just as a disclaimer, I have never fully read Pilgrims Progress, but as a child I used to look through an illustrated version often so I remember many aspects of the original story.

This was powerful. The power of this story isn’t in the characters or writing, it’s in magnificent truth of the story. The allegorical content is excellent and the story reflects the mighty truths of our God’s lovingkindness,
Chloe (aka Crystal)
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: okay-books
((3.5 Stars))

I didn't know what to expect from this book and I was stunned, yet confused. I looked at other reviews and found that other reviewers are saying it is similar to a book called Pilgrims Progress, but I haven't read it... and that kind of makes me even more confused.

The journey he took made a lot more sense later in the book, as we get to know his backstory better, but I just don't get it. I'm just considering the story as a spiritual journey for Kristian so I can kind of get a grasp
Wendy
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Wendy by: Goodreads
“Kristian’s War” is a short but innovative and gripping exploration of one man’s struggle to find the one True King who will set him free from the demons of his past. In the same vein as Pilgrim’s Progress Kris Anders a poverty-stricken farmer with a distant and ailing wife who lives in an evil land plagued by Janissaries that control the region sets out on a journey to find forgiveness and acceptance.

Hunted by soldiers under a ruthless leader who’s determined not only to kill Kris but his guid
Libby May
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Blog: https://lfbooks.blog/

Weird, very weird. That’s not a bad thing. The way it written is very very intelligently done. Won’t lie the book made me feel like an idiot. It took me about half way through before the light bulb clicked in my brain. Then it was a “oh now I get it!”

All the character’s names all hint at the story. Not the story that is written, but the hidden meaning to the whole thing. Once you figure that out and what the inner story is about, the book is more enjoyable. Your not si
Martha
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this post-apocalyptic, Biblical allegory. My rating 4.25.

Kristian lives with his estranged and injured wife, Christi. Christi is in wheelchair, is very bitter and blames Kristian for her condition. The society they live in is restrictive and evil. A neighbor, John Dappler, who is always looking at a new health fad runs, through his farm and hands Kristian a wrapped book that he must hide. John is captured by Sergeant Major Shame and sentenced to death.

Shortly after the execution, an impo
Susan
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A modern day version of Pilgrim’s Progress that will speak to your soul. It echoes the issues, mistakes and problems we face today in a way that will humble you and remind you that through your spiritual journey God is in charge and with you. Kris struggles with his past in his journey to find meaning and eventually to see the King. Very well written to mirror the war we fight in this world. I appreciated the military aspect and details to make this story feel real and make it a page turner. Thi ...more
Audrey
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This is a short, fast-paced book that is a modern version of Pilgrim's Progress. I didn't understand all the military terminology but it definitely portrayed the danger a searcher has who seeks the True King. The author kindly sent me a pdf of this book which I was thrilled to read. It was over much to soon.
Passion 4 Books
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author.

I found the writing to be very good. The story line is not a genre I typically read.

The subtle religious references and abundance of military language and situations did not pique my interest enough to continue the series.

There seems to be a nice following for this story. I wish the author continued success.
Heather Stevens
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. It was a quick read and a very good and interesting story. I can't wait until the 2nd book comes out. If you like christian action books this is the one to read.
Harisa Henderson
May 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I finished this yesterday. Book was provided to me very generously by the author. Thank you, Peter! My honest review is below:

This book read like the Narnia series for adults. I appreciate the tackling of difficult and real themes but wish they were more fleshed out and more time was taken on each topic. Would've even been okay with less themes explored but explored thoroughly. Like the Narnia books, this novel jumped around from scene to scene and I felt like I couldn't really get super investe
Neil
*** I will start off by saying I received a free copy from the author for an honest review. ***

This was a fast read for me; very fast. Incredibly fast. There were very few spots, if any, where it felt like the story slowed down. I think there were a couple of moments in the story where the author could have taken more time to expand the story a bit, maybe expound a bit more. I did like the names of the various characters; they strongly reminded me of reading Pilgrim's Progress when I was younger
John
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
The theme and the use of names is a good idea. I didn't like the Glossary of Terms, the switching back and forth and some of the situations needed more explanation.
C Joy
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story was fast-paced and full of symbolism and metaphor but it worked.

It's action-packed and there were a lot of questions about the history and what I liked most was Kris's journey in searching for the King.

He's a warrior and he had help. He got out of his comfort zone and sacrificed a lot. There were obstacles and temptation along the way because it was a rough path but even in his darkest hours, his faith saved him.

I'm still wondering about the possibilities with his wife, it's a bit of
Stephanie - Adventures Thru Wonderland
*I received a copy from the author for review. This does not affect my review*

What a story! Kristian's War is a Christian fiction story where 'evil' comes in the form of men, and weapons. Kristian has to face this 'evil' with the help of Even, in hopes of reaching the King. I loved how creative this story was, and I'm excited that it's a series, and I would love to see more of this world. I'm not a big fan of military fiction, but this one drew me in, and was easy to follow! I loved how the bac
MRIDULA
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, sci-fi
Kristian Anders, a poor farmer, leaves his city- Comfort Country, questing for 'The KIng'. He leaves behind his wife Christie, whom he both hates and loves. But Christie blames him for her miserable condition. But this journey is made difficult by people who want every searcher dead. These tyrant bunch of people don't allow anyone to enter or leave the city, the punishment being torture followed by public execution. Hence, when Kris leaves the city, all troops are deployed. The mission is to fin ...more
Charlotte Francoise
Oct 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Wow! What an extraordinary and completely different book. The book starts off with a short and sweet introduction to the characters and setting. (Something you especially want in a novel) the prologue helped to set up the rest of the novel perfectly.

The imagery created feels as though you are completely and utterly thrown into the world created by the author, you feel compelled to cry for Kristian to feel as though you need to console him, help him in any way possible. He feels real.

The book w
Sunny Houk
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I received a free copy for a honest review. If you like the Pilgrim's Progress, you will love this story. I love this book because Peter expresses his past in the Marines in the story itself. Originality. There are so few authors that actually use this idea. I have little knowledge of terms he uses in this book. I love that before the story begins, He tells you the meanings of this terms. So that you don't continuously look up the words and lose interest in the story. Kristian's journey is the b ...more
Susan
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
First of all, thanks Peter for giving me a copy of your book. I really enjoyed reading it. And I’m going to review it honestly.

When I started reading this book I had no idea what the story was about or anything. I knew it was a christian book. But that was about it. So, my first impressions were that the writing was easy and pretty forward moving, grabbing you and just taking you along with it.
I quickly got frustrated with the names of the characters and places being like “influence” and “past
Jen
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was given to me in exchange for an honest review. I appreciate the opportunity to do so. Complete honesty time here. While I find the concept of this story clever, it was a little difficult for me to follow. I really didn’t understand what was going on, or what the author was trying to do until over halfway through the book. Once I figured out what was really going on, I thought it was pretty ingenious.
Let me see if I explain in a non spoiler way. Kristian is a poor farmer who is stru
Tessa
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
“There is no Condemnation for Prince-finders.”

This is a retelling of Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan, set in what felt like a post-apocalyptic atmosphere.
Kris lives in Comfort County where life is predictable. His wife is wheel-chair bound and he knows she despises him. He carries a burden, one that he picked up a long time ago. He is approached by a man called Evan the Wanderer who seems to know much about Kris's life. Evan tells him to follow the path to the True King. At the risk of beco
Michael Eitniear
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kristian's War is an updated and refreshed version of the classic Pilgrim's Progress. It's a kind of metaphor for the average Christian's everyday walk through this life. It's clever and easy to read for the most part. I would have liked to see the story fleshed-out a bit more, but overall, it was a fun read and I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series.

The main character of the story, Kristian, is living his life like so many others in the story. He's trapped in a mundane life,
Sarita
May 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Rating 3.5 stars.

I really enjoyed this retelling of the Pilgrim's Progress. We meet Kris where he lives in Comfort Country, and after meeting a man Evan, he longs for a journey to find the King. Evil/Satan is represented in various of different military people, Shame and Past is just to name a few.

As Kristian goes on this journey of a searcher, and with Shame and Past trying to catch him, plus other "shackles" meeting him along the way, it was easy to see myself on my christian journey and how c
Fred
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Among the very few books I have read that have had a tremendous, indescribable impact in my life.

First of all, I received my review copy from the Peter, the writer himself, which was really kind of him. The book is a masterpiece. I doubt I will read anything close to it anytime soon. More or less, the book follows the story line of the Pilgrims's Progress (If I remember right), a movie I watched and wasted my was it two hours??? I found it too theoretical and very impractical.

Kristian's war was
Patrick S.
May 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book is 60% "Pilgrim's Progress" by John Bunyan, 30% "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis and 10% military terminology. The author has modernized Pilgrim's Progress and added an outlook at the bad guy's perspective. Instead of ye old times, the main traveler is in a dystopian, military controlled future. During Kristian's journey to the King, he encounters people who help him stumble or try to divert him. Then you have the military baddies who are hunting him to stop him from ending his jo ...more
Belinda
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-4-star
I liked this book. I find it to be an expanded version of The Dream Giver that I read a while back. This is a story that takes us through a searching journey from our comfort zone. It highlights the negative aspects we accept and get comfortable with - shame, people pleasing, regret, self loathing, low self esteem. Searching for more takes us to a journey of a worthy experience with a focused goal in mind. The journey, like any other, has its hurdles and joys but the end goal can be reached.

Kris

• A Chance at Love
  • The Warriors (Abby Sherman #2)
  • The Reckoning
  • Valley of the Shadow
  • Burning Justice (Alicia Yu, FBI series,Book 1)
  • The World Turned Upside Down
  • Double Helix
  • Mistletoe Kisses
  • The Siege of Dome (Empyrion, #2)
  • Annihilation Omnibus
  • Sweet Christmas Kisses 4: A Bundle of 14 Wholesome Holiday Romances
  • Head Game
  • Singularity (The Jevin Banks Experience, #2)
  • Groom Wanted (Bowen, #3)
  • The Drop Box: How 500 Abandoned Babies, an Act of Compassion, and a Movie Changed My Life Forever
  • The Dragonrider's Quest
  • A Prisoner of Versailles (Darkness to Light, #2)
Peter Wisan is an American novelist best known for Kristian's War.

Born in California, Peter has never stood still for long.

He loves the thrill and skill from new experiences. He has worked as a legal assistant, studied biology, certified as an EMT, commissioned as a Marine Corps officer, and has crafted worlds as a screenwriter, film director, and novelist.

He has traveled to five of the seven cont
“Holy mischief twinkled in Ian's brown eyes.” 0 likes