Start by marking “Invisible 3: Essays and Poems on Representation in SF/F” as Want to Read:
Invisible 3: Essays and Poems on Representation in SF/F

Invisible 3: Essays and Poems on Representation in SF/F

(Invisible #3)

Essays and poems on the importance of representation in science fiction and fantasy, with an introduction by author K. Tempest Bradford. Proceeds from the sale of this collection support Con or Bust.
Published June 27th 2017 by Amazon Digital Services LLC

To ask other readers questions about Invisible 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invisible 3

Start your review of Invisible 3: Essays and Poems on Representation in SF/F
Christine
Another good collection of essays and problems about representation.
Ana
There is not one bad apple in this anthology, but even though I liked all the essays and poems, there are some that rocked my world.

What Color Are My Heroes? by Mari Kurisato
Erasing Athena, Effacing Hestia by Alex Conall
Not so Divergent After All by Alyssa Hillary
The Doctor and I by Benjamin Rosenbaum
Natives in Space by Rebecca Roanhorse
Quartzen
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This, like the previous two books in the Invisible series, is a collection of works (mostly essays, some poems in this volume) about personal experiences with representation of marginalized identities in science fiction and fantasy media (including written SF, TV/movies, comics, games). Also like the previous two collections, it's a really solid collection of writing on the topic, and I would recommend all three of them if you read and/or review SFF stories!
Gehayi
The best way that I can talk about this is to break down each submission.

K. Tempest Bradford's "Introduction" was good, describing books as mirrors and then talking about how important it is to see yourself in media and to listen to others saying what they wanted to see of themselves. Good start.

"Heroes and Monsters," a poem by T.S. Bazelli, talks about how being fed the same stories over and over can be damaging to those who need something else. I could get behind that theme--sort of, as it see
Joy
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Representation matters, and if you still doubt that then you definitely need to read the essays within this collection. I am a white woman, and I haven't seen nearly enough representation of people like me in media - how hard is it for all of those who are less privileged than I? I cried at the end of "Hidden Figures" because HERE were the strong intelligent black women that we need to see, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Diversity in viewpoints and in characters and in stories is really
Mindi Welton-Mitchell
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent critical look at science fiction and fantasy representation. Appreciated all of the author's viewpoints expressed in the essay, and I highly recommend for all fans and writers of speculative fiction.
Kris
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Once again another brilliant essay and poetry collection highlighting issues of inclusivity and representation. The entire series is highly recommended.
Chris Bauer
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enlightening, thought-provoking and just plain important to read. Multiple times.
Troubletail
Jan 17, 2018
Airsucker
Jan 03, 2019
Daniel
rated it did not like it
Apr 02, 2019

• Writing the Other
  • Write Characters Your Readers Won't Forget (Toolkits for Emerging Writers Book 1)
  • Changeless (Parasol Protectorate, #2)
  • You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost)
Jim C. Hines is the author of the Magic ex Libris series, the Princess series of fairy tale retellings, the humorous Goblin Quest trilogy, and the Fable Legends tie-in Blood of Heroes. His latest novel is Terminal Uprising, book two in the humorous science fiction Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse trilogy. He’s an active blogger, and won the 2012 Hugo Award for Best Fan Writer. Jim lives in Michigan ...more

Invisible (3 books)