Start by marking “Falling (The 1000 Revolution, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Falling (The 1000 Revolution, #0.5)

Falling

(The 1000 Revolution 0.5)

Caleb Shepperd is a fixer. He'll do anything for credits.

When he's hired to track and kill a woman who's muscled in on a dangerous smuggler's territory, he figures it's just another day in the black...Until he's trapped in a silo with his mark.

'Just another day in the black' could turn out to be his last day alive.

A short story prequel to the bestselling science fictio
40 pages
Published (first published November 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Falling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Falling

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Actual rating? 8 stars. DUH.

» All you need to know about this story is that Caleb-Is-Mine-Shepperd-Is-Mine is in it.

» Caleb, you gloriously fucked up, amoral asshole, I want you. Please have my babies. Wait. Isn't it supposed to be the other way around? Oh well, who cares anyway? Whatever works best for the undisputed king of my harem.

Anything else to say about this story? Well, you know, Awesome Pippa DaCosta is Awesome kind of wrote it and stuff. So it's kind of pretty amazing-awesome-fantast
Pippa DaCosta
Nov 06, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition

Out now in the The Galaxy Chronicles or sign up to my mailing list to get Girl From Above: Falling and Wings of Hope free.
Emma
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting short story introduction to this space opera series with Captain Caleb Shepherd and Fran. Definitely going to give the first book a try.
1st read - March 2016
2nd read - July 2019

I absolutely love Pippa DaCosta's 1000 Revolution series so of course I was excited when I found out she had released this prequel short story. If you've ever wondered how Caleb and Fran met and ended up working together then Girl From Above: Falling is a must read.

This is only a short story but it packs a lot in and I think it's a fabulous introduction to the series so if you've been unsure whether to read it or not this free read should help you make up
Maria Dimitrova
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pippa-dacosta, sci-fi
A prequel to Girl From Above:Betrayal, this little gem chronicles the events that led to Captain Sheppard teaming up with Fran. If you've read Betrayal you know that those two have one of the most dysfunctional relationships in literature. So it was no surprise that they managed to rub each other the wrong way from the very start. It was hilarious and I loved every page of it. I loved seeing one more of the little hells that make up the nine systems, I loved seeing how people survive in them and ...more
Marianne
This prequel novella is part of The Galaxy Chronicles anthology, but since this is the only novella in the anthology that I've actually read, I feel it's better to review it here:

Want to know how Fran managed to weasel her way into the pilot seat aboard Starscream and into Caleb's life? Well you're about to find out. And since this is Caleb the trouble magnet we're talking about, there is trouble aplenty, as usual.

Let's just say that it involves a crazed rig owner, a sandblaster and a whole lot
Meigan
Review coming.

3-5-16: Free today on Amazon! Go! Get it now!

Maria Dimitrova
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephanie (Bookfever)
Girl From Above: Falling was a great prequel to Girl From Above: Betrayal, which I read last year and loved. I really liked reading about how Caleb and Fran initially met and how she ended up being his pilot.

I just can't help but like Caleb. He's not you every day main character. He's kind of a criminal and like the synopsis says, he'll do anything for credits and this is so true. But that's what I like about him. And I loved his chemistry with Fran!

I gotta admit, though, that when I read Girl
E.J. Fisch
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this as part of The Galaxy Chronicles anthology a few months back. It was one of my favorite entries in the collection, and it prompted me to go check out the main series!
TSN
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it

It's a novella.
Montzalee Wittmann
Girl from Above: Falling (0.5 (The 1000 Revolution 0.5) by Pippa DaCosta is a short but exciting sci-fi prequel that keeps your interest and has lots of action and excitement in it and shows what a lot of fun this series could be. Kind of a Han Solo character with a kick-ass gal (thinking Tomb Raider only in space) and that seems to be what I picture in my mind. That type of pair together. Looks like it is definitely worth reading. I liked it.
Greyscotty
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To rephrase one line from this prequel: "Firefly Meets The Expanse." If the rest of the series is as good as this short sample I'm going to enjoy them immensely. Starting Book 1 tonight or tomorrow morning.
Louise
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, 2016, sci-fi
Well written, fast paced and full of adventure. It's very short but also free and gives a bit of background to two of the main characters in the series.
A.M.
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own, e-books
Captain Caleb Shepperd is outrunning his past. Working anywhere in space (the nine systems) where he can keep his ex-tug ship Starscreamer flying so he takes some dodgy jobs. A metal hoarder Jin asks him to track another solo flyer who is a smuggling nuisance to him.
[smuggling nuisance is my new favourite insult… by the way]
After following her for a while he thinks Jin should have hired Francisca, not planned to kill her.
Or maybe it’s just easier for Jin to kill them both?
***
Oooh… a real Firefly
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this before I read the first in the series, it left me wanting to know more about the characters which prove it done its job. Their relationship did annoy me a little, the nastiness of who better e.g. But that is what happens when you get two very strong-willed people locked up in a room together.

It did feel they got locked-up together a bit too much over a short span of pages. Like how did they get caught again? That bit was a little confusing. Overal great fast read.
Haley
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks-read, shorts
Eh. There's nothing terribly wrong with this one, but I had no strong positive feelings, either. I thought this would give a little more insight into Caleb and a lot more insight into Fran—I had hoped to like her by the end of this. I liked her a little less. So.

Reading about space escapades is always nice, as are origin stories, but that's all this was: nice.
S
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Came across this in an anthology and instantly bought the series. That good.
Graeme
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A nice short introduction to two of the characters from the 1000 Revolution. Nice read but not essential.
Pat Raab
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This sounds like a tumultuous start to an interesting relationship.
Pippa Jay
4.5*
What I liked:
More Girl from Above? Yes, please! Although this didn't feature One - my favourite character of the following series - having forgiven Caleb and still having a question mark over Fran I was more than happy to spend more time in their universe and learn something more about them. Gritty, tense, and action-packed with flawless writing. Just what you need for something to occupy your coffee/tea/beverage of choice break.

What I didn't like:
One of my personal bug bears - too much back
Katrina Berry
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Girl From Above: Falling by Pippa DaCosta is Book .5 in The 1000 Revolution Series.

This is my first time reading this author’s work and I was delighted. What a great introduction for anyone not knowledgeable of the series; fast-paced prequel with teeming with action and a bit of suspense. I love the author’s writing which flows so wonderfully while the characters and world are well-defined in this short read; looking forward to reading the whole series.
Lyn Jenkins
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A quick trip into what I assume, is going to be a pretty cool series. This prequel has action, humor, murder and possible future romance. I'll be moving on to Betrayl (book 1)straight away, too see if Pippa DaCosta (a new author to me), follows through on the promise Falling offers.
Michele Evans
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is awesome! It’s got tech and space and gadgets! What’s not to love!! Add in a smuggler captain with very few limits and a machine trained to kill that still has human memories and its a recipe for an awesome sci-fi read!!! Nonstop action that keeps you glued to the pages!
Y.I. Washington
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Prequel

Having read the original version of this story in The Galaxy Chronicles Anthology, I was interested in reading the expanded version. Very glad I did. This is a fast-paced, well-written story with great characters. I am looking forward to reading the full series.
Cheryl La Pa
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent intro into the series which is sure to get readers hooked. This novella reveals how Caleb and Fran end up working together. Love this series - love the characters, the witty comebacks and the fast-paced action.
Mara
I suspect this short story has been written after the other books in the series. As it is for a non reader it doesn't have much sense.
I didn't like either MC, so I don't think I will read the series.
Amy Braun
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great, short teaser for what seems like an action-packed, exciting series with a gruff main character and his feisty sidekick. I really liked the world-building that I saw and hope to learn more. It was super short and there isn't a lot to say, other than I really liked it!
Jojo
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this prequel to the series made me really curious as to what's going to happen between Caleb and ,1001
Lisa Fenley

• Overload Flux (Central Galactic Concordance #1)
  • Celestial Seduction (1Night Stand, #17)
  • Chain Reaction (8th Wing, #2)
  • Cyborgs: More Than Machines: Books 1 -3
  • Daybreak
  • In the Black (Tales from the Edge, #1)
  • Taken by Terror (Grabbed, #6)
  • Alien Survivor: Stranded on Galatea
  • Alien Invader's Baby (Given To The Alien, #2)
  • Tales From The SFR Brigade
  • Deep Deception
  • When Dark Falls
  • Greenshift (From the World of Ambasadora)
  • Broken and Hunted (Echoes of Sol, #2)
  • Bondmate (Planet Alpha #1)
  • Girl Gone Nova (Project Enterprise, #2)
  • Embattlement (Undergrounders, #2)
  • Taken (Warriors of Karal, #3)
Born in Kent UK, two-time DragonCon Finalist & Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award semi-finalist--- "Wait a second. Let's cut to the chase. I write kick-ass urban fantasy & sci-fi novels with conflicted characters, breathless action, and no-holds-barred dialogue. My books may not leave you feeling all fluffy and warm inside, but they will excite you. There will be plot-twists, angst, probably ...more

The 1000 Revolution (5 books)
  • Betrayal (The 1000 Revolution, #1)
  • Escape (The 1000 Revolution, #2)
  • Trapped (The 1000 Revolution, #3)
  • Trust (The 1000 Revolution, #4)
  • Deliverance (1000 Revolution, #5)