Jump to ratings and reviews

Seven of Spades #2

Trick Roller

It’s the height of summer in Las Vegas. Everyone believes the serial killer Seven of Spades is dead—except Levi Abrams and Dominic Russo—and it’s back to business as usual. For Levi, that means investigating a suspicious overdose at the Mirage that looks like the work of a high-class call girl, while Dominic pursues a tough internship with a local private investigator. The one bright spot for both of them is their blossoming relationship.

But things aren’t so simple. Soon Levi is sucked into a dangerous web of secrets and lies, even as his obsession with the Seven of Spades intensifies. Dominic knows that Levi isn’t crazy. He knows the Seven of Spades is still out there, and he’ll do anything to prove it. But Dominic has his own demons to battle, and he may be fighting a losing war.

One thing is certain: the Seven of Spades holds all the cards. It won’t be long before they show their hand.

254 pages, ebook

First published January 29, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Cordelia Kingsbridge

29 books1,073 followers
Cordelia Kingsbridge has a master's degree in social work from the University of Pittsburgh, but quickly discovered that direct practice in the field was not for her. Having written novels as a hobby throughout graduate school, she decided to turn her focus to writing as a full-time career. Now she explores her fascination with human behavior, motivation, and psychopathology through fiction. Her weaknesses include opposites-attract pairings and snarky banter.

Away from her desk, Cordelia is a fitness fanatic, and can be found strength training, cycling, and practicing Krav Maga. She lives in South Florida but spends most of her time indoors with the air conditioning on full blast!

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
42 (1%)
1 star
2 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 520 reviews
Profile Image for Optimist ♰King's Wench♰.
1,759 reviews3,831 followers
February 1, 2018
Vague and slightly squirrely review coming right up!

I'm an unabashed Star Wars fan. Every time they rereleased the original trilogy I bought it. I wouldn't even venture to guess how many times I've seen them. I love them all but I love The Empire Strikes Back just a liiiiiitttttlllleee bit more, though it took me YEARS to figure this out. With its great space adventures and Yoda, revelations and the relationship development between Han and Leia, how could it not be? Plus, it has the most epicest of epic movie lines of all time:

Bet you thought I was going to say:

Close but no, I am a sap and apparently have been for a long time. I've built my bridge and made peace with this.

Trick Roller has those same qualities. Like many romance readers I like to see relationships develop. I'm voyeuristic that way. Trick Roller gave those little bird's-eye view bubbles where we get a front row seat to the intimacy building between Dom and Levi. So many moments where I felt like I was on the journey with them and as a reader, that's where the magic is. Those tiny details that so often get overlooked in other narratives were showcased here.

Almost immediately there is a beautiful, perfect, quiet moment after Levi and Dom have spent the night together for the first time where Levi is getting ready to leave for work. He's admiring Dom who's still asleep-his square jaw, his broken nose, his size- and he can't help touching him. Dom kisses his fingertips before drifting back off. In that moment I knew right along with Levi that they're becoming something more. Another one happened after Dom's had a rough night and is on the razor's edge of backsliding and the only person he even considers reaching out to is Levi. Levi sticks with him through the next day and intuitively knows how to shake him out of his funk. That sparring scene was gold. Pure gold.

Couples who yin-yang well, who bring out the best in each other is one of my favorite things. Dom and Levi are opposites in many ways and the way that those differences compliment one another was a joy to read. There is an honesty in the way this relationship is developing that's very relatable in that they're both letting their dating guards down, letting the other truly see them which is the mark not only of growing trust but a healthy relationship.

Of course there's some finding religion inducing, crazy hot sex-dirty talk, biting, making excellent usage of their size difference in creative ways. Of course there is a level of desire between them that's unspeakable. This is CK we're talking about here and she deserves a medal or something for the second sex scene 🙌 but the intimacy that's building between them through those moments when they get lost in each other... yeah. That's what I live for when reading romance. By the end of Trick Roller they have become a 'we'. They are a unit, reliant upon the other, though they've not uttered the big L word yet and I'm certain there will be more obstacles for them to overcome, I feel that they are meant to be.

The thriller aspects were more subdued and less heart attack inducing since the Seven of Spades is supposedly dead, but there are subtle clues that will likely have greater meaning as the series progresses, so it's by no means a throwaway book. Even though it's early in the series I'm going to go out on a limb and say I believe this one has the potential to be my Empire Strikes Back complete with the OMG-no way can I live through the wait cliffhanger, but I'll get back to you.

Trick Roller is not a standalone; it is book 2 in a 5 part series and I wouldn't recommend trying to read them out of order.

description

An ARC was provided by NetGalley.
Profile Image for Shile (Hazard's Version) semi-hiatus.
1,070 reviews751 followers
March 20, 2019

description

Obviously i am late to this party. Nothing more to add that all the other amazeballs reviews haven't said already.

- The writing is steller and so on point.

- The mystery, though engaging was just ok, i was proved right every time.

-Dominic and Levi's relationship is still growing and i like them together.

-The rest of the characters fit so well into the story.

Recommended!!

Off to book 3.
Profile Image for Nazanin.
1,039 reviews587 followers
October 5, 2018
4.5 Stars

Better than the first book! I enjoyed it more! Love this couple! I liked how they have each other’s back, how they help each other with their own personal problems and they are not judgmental toward each other, how they trust each other and never doubted each other! They are perfectly sync with each other! Told in dual Pov, 3rd person. It’s well-written and well-paced with a great story-line! It’s the second installment in the "Seven of Spades" series, it’s cliffy and it has to be read in order! Overall, enjoyed it a lot and hope you like it as well!
Profile Image for Heather K (dentist in my spare time).
3,832 reviews5,506 followers
May 2, 2022
I can't stop reading this series. If book one gave me a taste of what Cordelia Kingsbridge could do, Trick Roller made me a full believer. I'm in love with this couple and the writing. It's all perfection.

I'll admit, the books are blurring together a bit because I'm reading them back to back with my emotions FLOWING. I'm not taking any break, not even to sleep (not smart...). I usually don't like suspense, mystery, or thrillers, and this book is kind of all three. But not since the Cole McGinnis books have I been so invested in a suspense series.

I ADORE the fact that Levi is a Jewish cop MC. I do get a little annoyed that they keep saying that his parents have a North Jersey twang (twang??, and I think the author is thinking of more of NY Jewish accent, which is even a stretch), but I love how honestly and respectfully the author portrays Levi and his religion. I also have to say that I LOVE how Levi's ex isn't an asshole. Sometimes people break up with someone nice. It happens. I adored how the author keeps crafting these read characters.

I'm also falling more and more in love with Levi and Dom every second. I can't get enough of the two of them. I'm moving right on with the series because the mystery is killing me.

goodreads|instagram|twitter|tiktok
Profile Image for Simone - on indefinite hiatus  -.
662 reviews43 followers
August 26, 2020
August 2020: Audiobook = ***4+ I-like-this-narrator-more-and-more Stars***
***********************************************
Original review: January 2018:

The Seven of Spades is dead. Case closed.

Fast forward three months and life in Las Vegas is back to normal.

Whoa, wait a sec... *screeching to a halt*

The case had been solved, hadn't it? That is what everyone believes, right? Or at least what everyone wants to believe, because the consequences of a serial killer of their caliber trying to take the law into their own hands and still being on the loose would be unthinkable.

Well, not everyone is so easily convinced. After what happened in Kill Game, LVMPD Detective Levi Abrams and bounty hunter - argh, here we go again, bail enforcement agent!!! - Dominic Russo, now prospective private investigator, are apparently the only ones who believe, not to say know, that the self-righteous killer is still out there somewhere, all set and all too eager to strike again. Despite being officially reprimanded not to pursue this theory any further, and getting nothing but scorn and derision for his conviction, Levi is getting more and more obsessed with this idea and has trouble letting it go. But with the Sin City being full of criminals who are demanding full attention on their part, Levi finds himself kneedeep in a new murder case that seems to be not the expected trick-roll evident at first glance after all.
He'd never worked a case quite like this before, where the question wasn't who wanted the victim dead, so much as who of those many people wanted it most.

At the same time, Dominic is having a try at a change of career by practicing an internship at a local private investigation firm and has to deal with a case that leads to him being stretched to his limits in fighting his inner demons...
vZXej8.gif (480×270)

... which proves to be a nearly impossible task if it weren't for Levi. And their growing bond might be the only thing that can save them both.

After more or less casually dating for a while now, Levi and Dominic decided to take a step forward in their relationship, which leads to... *ahem* some ice bath requiring situations and with that of course I mean myself. Boy, these guys can be quite inventive - umm, as in take-out-a-patent-for-it inventive... ;-)

Their relationship is at an early stage, and with Levi still not completely over how things ended between him and his ex-boyfriend Stanton, it is far from being solid, but both Levi and Dominic discover that they might have found a much needed anchor in each other. And even if they are hesitant to put a name to it, they cannot deny that their feelings for each other are already going deeper than they both expected.

He thought about Dominic calling him baby again in that deep, rumbly voice. Though he should have hated it, all it did was make him shiver, because it was different this time.
Everything was different with Dominic.

Trick Roller will probably go down in history as the book I was ready to commit a murder for. And the victim would have been my neighbor, to be more precise. It was really close, let me tell you. All I wanted to do was sitting peacefully on my couch and bury my nose in my Kindle when she decided to have the party of her life. Instead of reading, I sat there plotting the slowest and most painful killing techniques possible. And no, you don't want to know what exactly came to my mind. Let's just say the Seven of Spades could have learned one thing or two. ;-)

When I finally got to read again, I indulged myself in my own obsession, because as far as addictions are concerned, I'm sure now that I found a new one for myself. Although this is just the second of five books, this series already has 'all-time favorite' written all over it. The character development is simply amazing and everytime Levi and Dominic were together I was about to melt into a puddle of goo because of how perfect they are for each other.

The homework the author did on police procedural and setting and her love for detail in regards to background stories, side characters and everything else, was once again impressive as hell. She found the perfect balance between romance and mystery and although the Seven of Spades pulls their strings more from the background this time, they are still looming like a dark cloud over the story and the little clues the author slipped in only confirmed my suspicion of their identity.

Well, said story ended with a bang - literally - and now I just have to figure out how to survive the next three months waiting for the next installment, much less the year it will take for the whole series to be complete. :(

Highly recommended!
netgalley netgalley2
Profile Image for Jilly.
1,838 reviews6,210 followers
June 3, 2018
The Question wasn't who wanted the victim dead, so much as who of those many people want it most..

Nothing like trying to solve the mystery when everyone who knew him wanted to kill him. I think it's nice when someone can evoke that many feelings. He was a person that everyone could agree to hate.
Even the cops.
Here is one of the cops on the case's take on the victim, after learning about his life and personality :

"It's no wonder (he) was murdered," Marine said, looking up from her stack of papers. "I'd kind of like to go back in time and kill him myself."

Yes, wouldn't we all like to go back in time to kill some horrible people from the past. Sometimes, them just being killed once isn't satisfying enough. Of course, it's not only horrible people, but those who are really really hated that some want to overkill. Look up the story of John Wycliffe sometime. They hated him so much that 43 years after dying for his beliefs, there was a crowd that dug up his bones, burned them and then scattered the ashes in the river. These people were pretty angry. There's really no anger like shovel-anger. Anytime someone is angry enough to utter these words, you know shit's about to go down:

And, then there are those who are just so damn hard to kill:

Luckily, for the murderer, this guy wasn't so hard to kill, he was just very killable. I think there may have been a lottery drawing as to who got to do the honors.

"I wouldn't be surprised if a whole group of people got together to cook up a conspiracy to kill this guy."

Okay, but even though I found that all entertaining, it isn't really the main focus of the book. While they are working on solving murders, we are seeing Levi and Dominic's relationship develop. They are a cute couple, but I still think there will be trouble ahead for them. The book made a lot of references to both of their inner-struggles and I think at least one of them will "fall off the wagon" at one point. I saw foreshadowing.

Oh, and there is tons of sex. If you ever had questions about the gay-man sex mechanics, it's here. If you don't, you might want to skip this series. There is no holding back on the details.

Still, a great series. I like the couple and the side characters. I also am a fan of police procedurals, so this has it all.

Profile Image for *J* Too Many Books Too Little Time.
1,921 reviews3,430 followers
January 12, 2018
4.5 Stars!

Holy Smokes that was good.

There's always that missing element you get in the first book of a series - of the main characters "coming together" but I have to say despite that, I really loved this one.

Things are moving at nice pace between Dom and Levi which I love. They have a great connection and chemistry. There was plenty of steam in this one.

The mystery/suspense in this series has really been perfection. Not so much that it over-powers the romance. There's enough other stuff going on with the main characters to give it a good balance.

I am not normally a fan of continuing series, so I love how so far these books have ended on more plot cliffy's then relationship/romance cliffy's. The ending of this one was pretty intense.

It's going to be a looooooong four months before book 3 comes out in April. But I can. not. wait.

ARC kindly provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review
Profile Image for Darien.
839 reviews327 followers
March 8, 2019
Reread March 2019

At this point everyone a suspect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ALL BETS ARE OFF ♠️

So like… 2nd book in the Seven of Spades ♠️ series

I don’t even know where to begin. This might be more gushing, and raving than a review. Because I’m betting it all on this series. I’m so shook guy, I’m a 7.2 magnitude earthquake.

This might be spoiler-ish, but the end of book one wrapped up with my favourite serial killer being “dead” or so the rest of Las Vegas thinks, but my main dudes know that is not the case. Our Seven of a Spades ♠️ is cunning and dead for him/her means just resting up. Book 1 also was just a prelude into Doms and Levi path into a relationship and recovering from all the shit they been through.

Trick Roller gives time into their lives without the shadow of a serial killer loose on the streets, but never letting up that at any moment he/she could strike and fuck all the things up. Levi spends his time trying to catch a killer doing regular detective work, and Dominic working is way up to being a P.I but also facing his own struggles. They both have an addiction and only time will tell who gets consumed with no way out.

Ok! Here goes the raving…

The Story: While I love my serial killer extraordinaire, I liked this one with Levi working on actual case that isn’t messing with his head. While Levi seems almost settled, we see something dark rearing it’s head in Dominic and I ain’t gon lie, I’m hella worried for the future. It’s going to be dark, it’s going to be rough, and they will need their wits about them, but keeping it together seems very uncertain.

The Sexy Love: I have questions directly for Ms Kingsbridge.

Why they gotta be so sexy?
This sexy wrestling, like is their a school for that?

Seriously though, Dom and Levi are something else. My disinterest and sometimes disconnect with sex scenes happen often, but these two make even the simplest of kisses an experience. I want their love to succeed and shine bright like a diamond.

I’m no size queen (heh) but the way the author give nods to how their both built, it does something to me. Gaww, cue wrestle move sex in my head (I’m crying real sexual tears right now).

The Conclusion: Excuse me sir! Are we just going to go out like that? Like hell I was expecting it, but in reality I wasn’t ready for it and I am crying that I can’t just jump into book 3. The pain and game is coming, and Levi and Dominic better be ready to play because “ All Bets Are Off”.

I am a such a fan of Cordelia’s writing, the flow, the knowledge of crime and just overall execution. While Trick Roller lacks the heart pounding action of Kill Game, in no way does it feel settled. It’s the calm before the storm, and the look into blossoming love affair of our MCs is almost like an illusion. A “enjoy this right now. Bask in the good times because when you’re all the way up the only thing left to do is fall”. God, I’m weak!

Trick Roller is a sequel to a series that might be one of my faves ever. I’m just quaking that all my feels don’t get fucked in the end. You can end up hating the things you love. Book 3 I’m waiting for you…

Profile Image for Jewel.
1,779 reviews242 followers
January 20, 2018
4.5 Stars

Trick Roller is book 2 in the Seven of Spades series and I'm loving where it's going! This book does not stand alone, though, folks, so start at the beginning​, with Kill Game​. Also, there are a few more books to come, so the story isn't even close to wrapping up, here. I do like where it leaves off, though. It is a delicious cliffhanger, but I think it was well done.

​T​rick Roller picks up 3 months after ​Kill Game​ left off. The "Seven of Spades" case is closed and Levi is pretty much the only one in the department that feels that ​Seven ​​of ​Spades is still ​very much alive.

The "Seven of Spades" plot line isn't as overt as it was in the first book. ​Seven ​​of ​Spades is biding their time, but definitely still watching; waiting. But there is a thread of their presence throughout that I very much enjoyed. ​I found that the pacing was just a bit slower than Kill Game​, as well, and I loved savoring every moment.​

Levi and Dominic are taking their relationship slowly. They haven't talked about being exclusive, yet, but it's pretty clear they are exclusive. They're both pretty gone for each other. The smexy-times are plentiful without being too much and I felt that there was a good balance between the suspense plot and the relationship development​, and that is not always an easy feat in a romantic suspense book.

I'm looking forward to getting my greedy hands on more of this story. Book 3 can't get here quickly enough!! ​If you enjoy romantic-suspense as much as I do, you are in for a treat with this series!

Recommended!​

----------------------------------
ARC of Trick Roller was generously provided by the publisher, via Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Martin.
738 reviews392 followers
January 4, 2019
I just finished the last 15% of this book and I feel like…

description

What an incredibly awesome ending.
A bang.
A meltdown!!

It was EXACLTY what I came here for.
And I simply have to say: WHY WERE the first 85% NOT like this???

The murder case was utterly boring, I almost lost interest in Levi finding the killer. I also missed further development in Levi and Dominic’s relationship throughout the book.

Three months and they’re not even clear if they’re boyfriends and/or exclusive?! Sometimes, you gotta let political correctness and appearance go and just run with the flow. I expected Dominic to take some initiative in their relationship, but he wasn’t even brave enough to invite Levi to a friend’s family gathering, let alone to his own family’s meeting.

And Levi? Levi was so absolutely unlikable most of the time, I kept referring to him in my mind as Morticia Addams, for God’s sake.

Not that I don’t love her, of course.

description

Anyway, let’s forget that Trick Roller case and move on to what promises to be one epic comeback in the next book.

And I’m gonna change my pants now, after that short second when I was asking myself if .
But then, these schizophrenic plot devices never work well, don’t they?
Don’t they??!!

description

4 stars for this exciting crime adventure!
And yeah, I LOVE YOU, DOMINIC!!!!

Thanks for another amazing buddy read, Adam!!
Profile Image for Ele.
1,265 reviews41 followers
January 30, 2018
5+++ stars

Cordelia Kingsbridge leaves no box unticked with this series y'all! Seriously, this is already in my top ten books for 2018 and it's only January.

I can't say much without spoiling the story, but believe me if you loved Kill Game , you 're going to want to have Trick Roller's babies.

The mystery blew my mind! Both mysteries actually. The trick roller case that is Levi's new assignment, and the Seven of Spades , the ongoing theme in the series and the case that Levi never gave up on. This and Dal Maclean's Bitter Legacy are quite possibly the best MM mystery/suspense books I 've ever read.

Levi and Dominic's relationship starts to take off. It's not just sex now that emotions start getting in the way. The suspense plot might always be at the forefront but the romance is still strong.

The sex. What can I possibly say about the sex? The two full on sex scenes count for ten! Levi is WILD! And really, really bendy!

The ending is very strong and left me gaping like an idiot. Honestly it puts to same some of the best movies.

Every secondary character is very well sketched. I really like some of them but at this point I suspect everyone.

I can't say more, but trust me, you want to read this. Highly recommended!

Thank you, Josy, for the wonderful gift!
Profile Image for Dia.
534 reviews133 followers
March 14, 2020
4,5 stars

I loved this one SO much!!! Everything about Levi and Dominic was awesome!!! Loved their connection! They felt so real!!!

I would have LOVED to get the L word from them. But at least they are finally admitting they are in a relationship.

We don't get a serial killer in this one, BUT that ending 😬

I'm jumping into the next one right now!!!
Profile Image for LenaRibka.
1,412 reviews414 followers
May 23, 2018

If you haven't yet read the first book, I'd recommend you to wait for the book#2 (and maybe book#3) to be released and then to read the whole series in one sitting. I know, for some real passionate fans of the author it could appear as a silly advice, but I think you will enjoy it much more if you read all three books one by one.

The reason #1:

It is not THAT often in the genre that a serial killer will be hunted through the whole series. Normally a mystery series has a separate case for every single installment. In Seven of Spades you have to wait up to the very end to know who is this mysterious serial killer. I didn't know it when I picked up the first book, but at the latest after the book#2 there is no doubt that you have to wait for the final installment to prove your detective skills. That doesn't mean that no crime has been committed, quite the contrary - our boys are pretty busy and have their hands full, it is why you have to remember many small details that at the first sight are not actually relevant to the BIG case, but don't be very careless: EVERYTHING is important here. If you can recall every small details you read about three months ago, go ahead and ignore my advice.

The reason #2:

If you a slow burn-fan you should read the second book immediately after the first book. The book#2 started with a VERY intense SEX scene. My problem was - I needed some time to re-entry into the story, to be reminded of a great chemistry between Levi and Dominic. This scene caught me cold, without a foreplay. The guys came straight to the point, after a three months period of sexual abstinence and I had to force myself to stay with them and not to start to skim already through the first pages. I'm glad that it was actually my only complaint.

I like that the case that Levi and Dominc work through in Trick Roller (Seven of Spades #2) is thrillingly complicated. And I liked how they do it together. I enjoy to observe how their relationship develops and how they become not only lovers but also confidential partners. I think that Cordelia Kingsbridge has succeeded in creating a sensitive romance that is perfectly combined with a well-done mystery.
And this promising ending!
I can't wait for the next book!

Very recommended.

***ARC provided kindly by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.***
Profile Image for Madison Warner Fairbanks.
2,124 reviews275 followers
January 5, 2020
Trick Roller by Cordelia Kingsbridge

Chills. That’s what happened to me at the end of this book. Chills down the spine. Needless to say: cliffhanger. At least for the overall arc of the series, not necessarily for this specific case.

2nd book in the Seven of Spades series. Cop murder mystery format with M-M romance in Las Vegas, NV.

I listened to the audio version narrated by Wyatt Baker who did a good job with the varying voices. Maybe not so much the females but overall it was well done.
Profile Image for Renée.
1,023 reviews312 followers
March 20, 2022
Thank you to the awesome Josy for gifting me this book for the holidays! She figured out quickly that I absolutely loved Kill Game and couldn’t wait to get my hands on Book 2.

Book 2 starts off three months where Book 1 left off. Keith Chapman, the man presumed to be the Seven of Spades, is dead. And it’s only Levi and Dominic that know the real killer is still out there. Even Levi’s partner on the force, Martine, isn’t convinced and wants him to leave it alone.

In the months that have passed, Levi has continued to investigate on his own. And he’s also built a solid foundation for his relationship with Dominic. They’ve left one final thing off the table in their attempts to go slow – “going all the way.”

So imagine my absolute glee when Kingsbridge opens chapter one of this book with reunion sex. This was one of the best sex scenes I’ve read in a while, let me tell you. Praise given where it’s due.

I love this part of a relationship. Where both are getting to know the other, maybe a first sleepover happens, the wondering “Is he my boyfriend now?”

Levi’s job solving other homicides hasn’t stopped, and his current case takes a lot of page time, and I loved that story arc too.

Dominic is now training to be a Private Investigator, and when a tail brings him to a casino, he has his first close call while dating Levi. He acts like a mature adult, lets Levi know what’s going on, and they get through it together.

The Seven of Spades isn’t done, though. Of course not with (three!) other books in the works for this series. They are always in the background, taunting Levi and Dominic.

I loved this installment! I love Levi and Dominic, for bringing out the absolute best in each other. For showing each other that perceived weaknesses are anything but. For making each other happy. For having the hottest sex ever (yes, there was more than one scene that had me rereading).

I love the side characters and their diversity. The representation in this series is so refreshing.
Kingsbridge has written my favorite series or books of hers to date. She tells this story in a way that I just can’t put these books down. Why, oh why, do I have to wait for the next books???
Profile Image for Kati *☘︎・゚ readsRomance.
417 reviews85 followers
November 13, 2022
4.5***** "All Bets Are Off" stars ♠︎

Shit that woman can write smut (evidenced by her Boston Verse series) - Levi & Dominic are on fire in this one! *phew (but don’t panic, this is not a sex-fest in here or anything!)

This book was much more focused on the romance part than the first one was and I loved seeing how their relationship progressed. How they let each other in more and more while developing deeper feelings for one another each day. *sigh

And that sparring session between the two? That’s something to really look forward to. I couldn’t even brush my teeth properly while listening I was grinning so hard. Have you ever tried it? Brushing your teeth while grinning like a loon? It’s a challenge, trust me. *lolll

The serial-killer case of the Seven of Spades was officially closed at the end of "Kill Game" but Levi cannot letting it go. And while he and his fellow detectives are investigating another thrilling murder case, he and Dominic are secretly still hunting the Seven of Spades. AND WTF PEOPLE… what the hell was that last ten percent??? My mouth was hanging open the entire time until that freaking cliffhanger. Unbelievable!
>> Off to the next one.

------

Honestly, it’d be so easy to suspect a certain someone to be the Seven of Spades but considering my very bad sleuthing skills in the past I’m probably wrong. *lolll Well, I guess I’ll find out eventually.

side note: with the promise Carlos [Dominic’s best friend] rang from Levi I fear what will happen down the road and if Levi will get in a situation where he has to proof that he could stay true to that promise.

***********
Seven of Spades Series:

Book 1 - Kill Game - 4.5 stars
Book 2 - Trick Roller - 4.5 stars
Book 3 - Cash Plays - 4.75 stars
Book 4 - One-Eyed Royals - 4.5 stars
Book 5 - A Chip and a Chair - 4.5 stars

Profile Image for Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘.
1,314 reviews2,760 followers
September 26, 2018
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*The first was better*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

We're back with second book of homicide detective of four years, Levi Abrams (how old?) and then bounty hunter and now doing a internship with a local private investigator and still part-time bartender (at Stingray, a LGBT nightclub), Dominic ‘Dom’ Russo (31). Levi and Dominic are now dating, sort of - they haven't talked about it as Dominic is worried Levi needs more time after his breakup with his ex-boyfriend. On top of that, the world refuses to believe that the Seven of Spades are still alive, and Dominic and Levi does everything they can to find out who they are before they start killing again. Then there's also a murder to be solved.
“You’re prickly and uptight and a little caustic sometimes…But I like those things about you because they make you who you are. You also care deeply about the people close to you…You’re heartbreakingly compassionate…I’m not looking for a nice guy, Levi. I want a good guy.”

Overall, I found book one better, but the sequel wasn't so bad. I liked it. I liked how closer Levi and Dominic got to each other. And unfortunately, I was taking a flight while reading (and finishing) this one and book three and started book four, so now I don't remember which was where and all that jazz. But I do know I liked it enough to reading it quite fast. In fact, I seem to read the whole series super fast. It's a highly recommended series.
He knew how to protect himself now, true, and he’d learned how to control and channel that anger, but it was always burning inside him. And he was afraid that one day it would rise up and swallow him whole.

OTHER CHARACTERS:
Natasha Stone, one of the counselors in the LVMPD’s Police Employee Assistance Program
Nancy and Saul Abrams, Levi's parents.
Silvia, Dom's paternal grandmother. Rita, his mother. Natalie, his niece.
Stanton Barclay, young scion of a multibillion-dollar hotel empire and was Levi's boyfriend of three years.
→ Detective Martine Valcourt, Levi's work partner. Her husband, Antoine. Mikayla and Simone, their daughters.
Rebel, Dom's hundred-pound German Shepherd–Rottweiler mix.
Carlos Guerrero and Jasmine Anderson, Dom's neighbors.
→ Dominic's the third of five children, and the only one of his siblings still unmarried. Soon to be the only one without kids too, since his youngest sister Gina had just announced her first pregnancy a few weeks ago. Angela, the oldest of the five, then there's brother Vincent and sister Theresa. And Dom's brother-in-law Howard; married to Theresa?
→ Deputy District Attorney Leila Rashid
Adriana Velazquez (16), foster child.
Keith Chapman, was a detective with Levi. Killed himself after being framed by Seven of Spades.
→ Dr. Angela Tran, Keith's psychiatrist.
…it was different this time. Everything was different with Dominic.

Quick basic facts:
Genre: - (Adult) Contemporary Romance (M/M).
Series: - Series, Book Two.
Love triangle? -
Cheating? -
HEA? -
Favorite character? - Dominic ‘Dom’ Russo.
Would I read more by this author/or of series? - Yes.
Would I recommend this book/series? - Yes.
Will I read this again in the future? - Who knows.
Rating - 3 stars.
Profile Image for h o l l i s .
2,337 reviews1,822 followers
May 19, 2018
"So you and Dominic finally slid into home again?"
"How do you always know? I'm not.. am I limping?"
"You're not, but thanks for that insight into your sex life."

My cackle could be heard 'round the world, folks.

"I'm not looking for a nice guy, Levi. I want a good guy. That's way more important."

Okay, so, wow. This one was everything that was served up in the first Seven of Spades story.. but more. At least as far as the leads, the relationships, the sexytimes, and how Kingsbridge fleshed out and solidified both backstories and also the supporting cast (shout out : I loved Carlos & Jasmine's arc). I love the care that went into establishing the timelines, transitions, and communication between Levi and Dominic. The emotional dynamics are so perfect, so palpable, and yet there is still tons of lighter elements and moments of laughter at play. The only area I think this one wasn't as thrilling was the Mystery of the Week. I liked how things wrapped, and how the puppetmaster made themselves known in subtle ways, but I was definitely more intrigued by the things happening around it than the lies, cover ups, and betrayals uncovered along the way.

That said, I'll definitely be demolishing book three over the weekend because that ending was.. just.. wow. Pretty sure I said 'holy balls' out loud before closing my kindle on that final page because yeah. Holy. Balls.
Profile Image for Susan.
2,174 reviews381 followers
January 24, 2019
I immediately jumped into this after finishing the first book. I just wanted more Levi and Dominic!

The Seven of Spades case took a bit of a backseat in this, but it was still present enough for me to keep guessing who it could be (I still have absolutely no idea).

This focused more on the development of Levi’s and Dominic’s relationship and I loved reading about these two getting closer and closer.

The cases Levi and Dominic were working on kept this from being only about their relationship, and since I’m all about the mystery these days, I was a happy girl.

On to the next book now!
Profile Image for Erth.
3,381 reviews
January 21, 2020
I loved Kill Game and was so excited to get a copy of Trick Roller. Levi and Dominic have become two of my favorite characters.

It's been three months since the events that brought Levi and Dominic together. Three months since the Seven of Spades played the game and three months since Levi and Dominic found more in each other.

We start off seeing Levi and Dominic navigating the waters of their new relationship and get some hot sex. I love the two of them together, they compliment one another so well. Dominic is kind, soft-hearted, but he's still dealing with his addiction.

Levi is ruthless, a little bit lost and unsteady, and harboring his own demons.

In between the hot sex, the new relationship woes, the two are trying to get their careers together. After everything that happened with the Seven of Spades, Levi is trying to get back to his normal. Dominic is trying his had at private investigating.

Trick Roller is different from Kill Game as there isn't a serial killer to chase after, but that doesn't mean things are easy. Not when Levi has a case that is proving to be anything than simple, and Dominic is trying to balance his life between his new career and his addictions.

I'm excited to see how Levi and Dominic's relationship changes and grows throughout the other books, as they navigate themselves and each other through their demons.

Cordelia Kingsbride is brilliant. The way she's able to manipulate the story and keep the reader guessing is awe-inspiring.

That ending. I need the third book after that ending. It's not a cliff hanger exactly, just affirmation what we already knew, however, the way it's presented is brilliant. This series has quickly become one of my favorites
Profile Image for Argona.
169 reviews252 followers
June 29, 2018
3.5 stars...
Great continuation to the first book, but.... I strongly recommend that you read this book immediately after finishing the first one. This would have been a 4 star book for me, if I had done so.
Profile Image for Jamie Howard.
300 reviews17 followers
January 15, 2023
This was perfect. Really unfair that I immediately need to know what happens next but the library has a two week wait on book 3 😭😭
Profile Image for julia.
754 reviews157 followers
February 8, 2022
this pairs somewhat nicely

it's official, levi and dominic have my whole entire heart 🥰

❝i wouldn’t let anyone hurt dominic,❞ he said to carlos. ❝that includes dominic himself. you have my word.❞

♠️ overall ... i am loving where the romance is going.
dominic and levi are such a great couple.
they have a dynamic that just … works.

♠️ the side characters are fabulous.
i love levi's partner martine.
dominic's neighbors carlos and jasmine are great as well.

♠️ rebel the dog.
she's the real mvp of this entire series.

♠️ i think my one con of the book was the case.
in book one i was very invested in the case, but here …. eh.
there were way too many suspects.
by the time the real killer was revealed i was kinda like, "who?"

♠️ i can't believe i'm gonna say this, but …
i kinda hope that things with stanton and levi get a bit more resolved.
idk … i feel like they both need a bit more closure.

♠️ cordelia kingsbridge i am begging you …
DO NOT make dominic relapse, i- 😭
i don't know if all the relapse talk was foreshadowing, or what.
plz don't scare me like that.

♠️ i have to say …
the sex scenes are fucking hot.
i don't usually comment on that but i just had to give a shoutout for creativity.
ck really said, quality over quantity.

♠️ levi is a precious bean who needs to be protected at all costs.
when he told dominic that he was afraid of embarrassing him- ahhldkjlsadflj ✋🥺
i about died.

♠️ dominic is also a precious bean whom i love very much.
he loves levi with his whole heart, i can tell.
also, his struggles with gambling addiction hurt my heart.
i just want to hug him and tell him he's gonna be okay.

♠️ the scene of dom and levi sparring.
i- 🥵

✩✩✩✩ trick roller

✩✩✩✩ cash play
✩✩✩✩ one-eyed royals
✩✩✩ a chip and a chair
Profile Image for Christelle.
808 reviews
April 24, 2019
Re-read Feb.2019 : still so good !!
-------------------
LOVED IT **4.5 stars** As good as Kill Game : sure sign that this series is a must read for amateurs of romantic suspense. Not a standalone, neither plot-wise, nor relationship-wise.

Levi, an up-tight LVPD detective and Dominic, a giant sunny bear on his way to be a PI, worked on a case about a serial killer named the Seven of Spade and started a relationship.

Is this case really closed ? Levi doesn’t think so. Is there a chance for Levi and Dominic to have found their plus one ? It’s looking promising, and not only in a bedroom.
But of course, to make all this entertaining, nothing is never easy : solving cases can be taxing, proof is with the new case involving a runaway teen Levi is working on, and everybody can have demons to fight such as a gambling addiction for Dominic and some bottled-up anger for Levi.

Just as for the first instalment, I loved the perfect balance between the romance and the mystery, the development of the relationship between Levi and Dominic, so realistic and hot, and the plots both MCs have to solve. Add to that MCs with great personalities that meshed very well and secondary characters well drawn and I’m sold once again.

Nothing is tied up and the end finished on a well-done cliffhanger, giving me enough to be satisfied but so much more to discover that it guarantees that I’m going to read Cash Plays as soon as it’s released (next April).

**Thank you, Karen, for this thrilling Christmas gift. <3**
Profile Image for  ⚣ Marco ⚣.
96 reviews47 followers
March 4, 2019
1st read: September 19th, 2018
1st reread: March 4th, 2019

********************************

My initial rating was 4 stars, but I’m bumping it up to *5 stars* and put this book on my “favorites” shelf. This series just gets better and better with each reread.

Displaying 1 - 30 of 520 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.