Start by marking “The Quarterback” as Want to Read:
The Quarterback

The Quarterback

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  961 Ratings  ·  186 Reviews
Matt Lancaster is the star quarterback at Bodine College, a small Southern Division II school with an ultra-conservative Dean of Athletics. Matt is also very much in the closet, and he thinks he’s kept his secret well hidden. Until his best friends take him to a happy endings massage parlor and request a male masseuse for him.

In walks Trevor Kim, a gorgeous, pierced, tatt
Published September 11th 2017 by Riptide Publishing (first published September 9th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Quarterback, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quarterback

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~4.5~

~ a virgin quarterback ~ a forbidden massage ~ one very happy ending ~

Matt Lancaster is blonde and built. He's a star quarterback at a small Christian college in Alabama and a good student. Every guy wants to be him. Every girl wants to fuck him. Matt's living the American dream.

Except Matt's dream doesn't include a girlfriend or a pro career. Matt is gay and so deeply closeted, he's suffocating. His abusive, homophobic father schemes people out of money and keeps his son on a tight leash.
Line
*Ugh* Okay... Ignore me! Seriously, let me stay here in my dark corner with my 'frikadeller' and my sour attitude.
This book did not work for me, and the funny thing is, it wasn't one big fuck-up; it was all these little creeks adding to this story, that ended up being a shit-river for me.

I cannot express how much I agree with Gigi and Ele.
First of all, this book feels like one of the first MM-books. ALL of the clichés are dragged in, ALL of them! And I really wished someone had grabbed the auth
☆ Todd
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it

Some good and some (kinda) bad stuff here, but I ended up enjoying it, for the most part.

First, I really liked both Trevor and Matt, neither of whom totally fell into the stereotypical Asian math nerd or dumb jock roles.

Despite being rejected by his family, Trevor was not a delicate flower, waiting around in his throw pillow-infested ivory tower for a man to swoop in and rescue him. He was strong, confident and ready to put in the work to make a better life for himself -- even if that meant work
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
When I first finished the story, my gut reaction was that I liked it. Really liked it.

The Quarterback has some of my favorite tropes in M/M (closeted athlete, clandestine romance, coming out, first time gay experience). When I focused on those aspects of the story, I was one happy camper.

But then, the more I sat on my review, the more my little niggles came back to haunt me.

I really couldn't stand the secondary characters, and I think Mackenzie Blair has to think long and hard about how peopl
Ele
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
*2.5 stars*

Dissenting opinion ahead.

I'm fully aware I'm in the minority with this one, so don't mind me, I'll be over there in my box of shame.

This book was a weird experience for me. I never thought it could happen, but for the first time ever, the secondary characters almost ruined the story for me. Almost, but not completely, thus...rounding up to 3 stars.

First of all, I need to clarify that I did like the romance and the chemistry between Trevor and Matt. The tension was just right, the sex
Gigi
Sep 02, 2017 marked it as dnr-dnf-not-4-me
I made it to 30% and had to stop. This book felt like a giant step backwards in time as far as M/M romances go. Gay stereotyping, homophobic family and friends and school officials. Just yucky stuff.

The sex was hot, to be sure, but not hot enough to keep me going with the kind of angst I am no longer interested in.

I did not finish so I will not rate.
J *deep in the heart of Texas*
4.5 Stars!

Definitely took a chance on this one and for once it payed off.

Between the cover and the blurb I couldn't not request this one. I'm a total sucker for sports romance. This one had all of the ingredients to be a total drama disaster but it never went there.

Yes, there's some angst. But the good kind of angst.

And there's a virgin. A not at all shy virgin when it comes to exploring man sex.

This one was SMOKING HOT!

Great main characters and secondary characters. I loved Trevor's roomma
Dia
4 stars for this sexy quarterback and his handsome Korean boyfriend

I am not really a fan of sports romance, but this one ended being a good surprise. For me.
I saw my GR friends have very different opinions, some loved it so much, some hated it. I can't say I loved it, so I'm kind in the middle. I just ended enjoying it way more than I expected. And the angst was bearable.

Matt Lancaster was a super sexy quarterback, but unfortunately closeted. His dad and well everyone in his college were bigot
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion
Debut author Mackenzie Blair lured me with that irresistible blurb.

Sports romance with a Southern MC set in the South? *pancake eyes*
Interracial romance with a pierced MC? *woozy*

I may have strained something trying to get to the request button, though to be honest, I was thinking that piercing was... ah... someplace else. 😳

Anywhoozle...

The Quarterback is a coming out, first love sports romance set at a small college in Alabama (I say it's based on Baylor but don't quote me). Matt is the quarter
Jaime
5 stars

The Quarterback by Mackenzie Blair, is a book that caught my eye because of the cover. I mean, did you see it? Hot. Damn. That is one fine specimen on the cover...and I admit to totally judging this book by its cover! The thing is, after the cover drew me in - the story kept me tangled up in this book. I read this book, non-stop from cover to cover, beginning-to-end only pausing when I was forced to pry the book from my hands! This story was totally worth missing sleep before a 12 hour sh
Zoe
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sexy, sassy, and heartwarming!

The Quarterback is a provocative sports romance about college life, embracing one's sexuality, and having the strength to follow one's heart regardless of the consequences.

The characters are handsome, charming, troubled and flawed. The writing is erotic and smooth. And the plot is an alluring tale full of sexual innuendoes, flirty banter, blazing chemistry, familial drama, friendship, support, acceptance, and love.

The Quarterback is an entertaining, provocative debu
Dani
I was in the mood for a sports romance and this book has been on my sight long before it was released, I mean, have you seen that cover? *fanning myself* Hot blond quarterback! Besides, the blurb adds a pierced and tattooed fellow? Yes, please.

However, I read this and I ended up with mixed feelings about it. I’m gonna be pretty straightforward and start saying what I didn’t like:

~ The beginning. What kind of friends are those!? You know your bestie is a closeted gay and why on earth would you d
Hanne
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: new-adult
Matt is gay, but he’s still in the closet. He’s the star quarterback at college and everything will change when someone should find out he’s gay. He’s attracted to Trevor from the start and he hasn’t felt that way in a long time. He keeps going back to Trevor’s work to see him. Trevor can’t believe that Matt is a client at one of his jobs. He’s always had a crush on him. Matt will take a chance with Trevor. They have to be secretive, but they love to be together.

I loved this book. It’s hot, bea
Elsa Bravante
Pffffffffff, no sé qué decir porque mi cabeza es un batiburrillo de cosas. Le daría 2.5 estrellas porque es entretenido y los protagonistas son monos, y ahí se acaba todo lo bueno que puedo decir, por mucho que busque no hay más xD.
He de decir, que a pesar de eso, no estoy tan indignada como otras personas que han hecho review, quizás porque no me ha sorprendido, o quizás porque muchas de las cosas que indignan las he encontrado una y otra vez en autores que están en la cresta de la ola y parece
Fabi
Super cute. Super sweet.

Sometimes 5 star books are the ones that make you hurt or make you feel strong emotions. But sometimes five star books are the ones that just let you have a good time with the story.

This is one of those happy stories. It's fun and interesting. It has a group of wonderful characters that you'd want as your friends and family. This is one of those that makes you smile and leaves you feeling good.

Review ARC graciously provided by Riptide Publishing via NetGalley
Truuss
Sep 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017, m-m
I can't find a motivation for a star...
I'm a bit upset by my own review and I really doubt to put it online....maybe later
Annika
description

Aaawwww, that was so cute! And not in the saccharine, so sweet my teeth ache kind of way, just genuinely adorable and nice. I really liked this.
Sure, lots of elements in this book were terribly cliché, and the angst that comes with one of the love interests being in the closet usually isn't my thing, but those guys were just so damn lovable.
Get dressed," Drew singsonged, enjoying this way too much. "So you can go play poker with your hunky boyfriend and these gay-loving, rainbow-flag-waving foo
River
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
3.5 rating
I can't do a proper review of this book because I, again, forgot to update my reviews *hangs head in shame*

I remember that I liked it and that it was better than I expected. it's not a perfect read, it does have some unbelievable things and maybe even uncomfortable (I really don't get where the stereotype of "cool girlfriend that ask inappropriate questions to gay men" comes from but I hate it)
but overall it's good. it's fun if you are the mood for some NA with a hot, nice young men.
Susan
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm
There are a lot of mixed reviews of this book. And I do get why some people would find this book offensive, because it has all the gay clichés, and they were simply awful.

Things like, “But I’m not that kind of gay’” were said a lot. But I knew this going in, so I tried to ignore it as best as I could.

My rating has more to do with the fact that I really hate closet cases. And the reason why may be understandable, if it’s fear for a parent, fear for a scholarship, or one’s team, I honestly don’t c
Amanda

This is MacKenzie Blair's first M/M romance and I can see that the characterization and plot are pretty reserve. She went for the safest route and for seasoned M/M readers, I felt that I'm not being challenge. But on the other hand, I find it refreshing, not everything needs to be difficult. The part that I enjoy most are probably due to Matt and Trevor was pretty honest to each other right from the beginning. They didn't pour their heart out, but was pretty upfront about everything els
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

I wasn't sure what to expect when I begin reader The Quarterback. Often times coming of age novels are fulfilled with unnecessary angst and drama. While this contains drama it was perfectly paired with two men, Tevor and Matt.

I really enjoyed reading how these two opposites fell for each other. Their relationship wasn't always roses but they worked together to make their relationship work.

Neither had it easy and didn't have a huge support system but they learned to rely on the other.

The pair als
Steven
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thanks to the publisher and to Netgalley for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.

Matt Lancaster is a dream -- a fantasy. Trevor is so lucky to have one of my fantasies come true for him! :) Alas, it's not all rainbows and unicorns for these two -- they have an uphill battle in their path to love.

The writing was a little juvenile and the plotting was a little predictable and the characters were a little stereotypical... but I really enjoyed it. It was nice knowing that, eve
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
This is a tough one. I have seen people who love it. People who mostly enjoyed it and people who couldn’t finish it.

I don’t know where I fall in that. 2★'s = it was ok, so I'll just go with that. I don't have enough feeling about it to love it or hate it honestly. It read so juvenile to me. These boys did not seem like they were seniors in college, at times I wouldn’t have even put them as seniors in high school.

The dialogue was cheesy and not hot.

The fights were nasty and very, very immature.

Ma
.Lili.
There was a lot to love about The Quarterback by Mackenzie Blair.

-The main characters, Matt and Trevor. They were both likable and exhibited character growth during the story- especially Matt.

-There was palpable chemistry between Matt & Trevor.

-Banter

-There was a natural progression to their relationship.

But the length and side characters made me deduct a star and a half.

-A half star because somewhere around the 75% the book started to feel long and I had to skim a bit to get going again.

-Th
Ami
3.75 stars rounded up

Sometimes, reading a book in the right mood helps. And this is definitely the case with my experience reading The Quarterback, from new-to-me author Mackenzie Blair.

Why?

Because any other day, I will probably be really pissed off with some of the inappropriate things that either the MC's or the secondary characters here say or do. I mean, girl cooties, Trevor? Really? Or saying that women's boobs are like fatty tissues? Or enforcing some of the stereotypical gay men, or homo
Michaelene
Dancing in the end zone for this delightful come-out story!

I can say with absolutely certainty that I just read my favorite read of this year, ya’ll!!!

*squealy shriek!!!*

I had a mad case of the goofy grins and the happy sighs, and when I’m done writing this review, I’m going to experience it all over again.

Come-out stories hold a special place in my heart, and Mackenzie Blair’s The Quarterback was getting such resounding buzz on my feed that I put other books on hold so I could get started ASAP.
Samantha
Sep 17, 2017 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: i-don-t-get-it
Such a bummer. I tried to read it, and I just couldn't. And I LOVE football. Absolutely lovelovelove it. Not even football could get me into this.

I feel like it takes the world of M/M back 10+ years. In my mind, we were working on moving past a lot of cliches and just a certain style of M/M... but apparently not. I don't get it :(
Eugenia
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wasn’t this all kinds of fun? Of course, it’s nothing we haven’t seen before...closeted gay athlete starts to secretly date “out” man. Still, I read this in one sitting. And it wasn’t a short book. Now I find myself wondering what kept me so engaged?

It couldn’t have been the trope or plot, although I enjoyed it. The dialogue wasn’t remarkably witty. The writing, overall, was good, but not bombastic. The secondary characters didn’t leave huge impressions. That leaves us with the MCs.

I think I sim
*~*~*Kael*~*~*
Jul 01, 2017 marked it as 0-male-male-books-i-own-to-be-read  ·  review of another edition
Forgot to update: I already own this :-) ... really looking forward to this book, it sounds awesome :-)!!
I'll be cracking this open in the (relatively) not too distant future :-)!!

Ooooooooooooo me wants :-D!!!
Riina Y.T.
Pretty much 5 stars for an overall awesome book with an AWESOME cast.

Absolutely LOVED Trevor. He's sweet, cynical, part Asian with a bit of a bad boy image, hitting all of Matt's buttons (mine too!) Trevor's adorable, really, caring and FUN; wonderful boyfriend material. Matt agrees, and after their chance meeting at a massage parlor can't get the edgy cutie out of his head! Their first meeting didn't go so smooth though and Matt's a bit at a loss for a while, unsure how to approach Trevor, shou
Mackenzie Blair is an award-winning screenwriter in Los Angeles who’s written for shows you’ve probably heard of. Mackenzie grew up in the South but fled the humidity for earthquakes, university, and a brief stint in finance. As a cynical idealist, she prefers to write happy endings whenever possible.
More about Mackenzie Blair

Romance Deals

• #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $2.49
  • Remembering Us
    $3.99 $2.00
  • No Turning Back (Kathleen Turner #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unbound (The Forbidden Bond, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • In the Heir (Westerly Billionaire, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Life After Perfect (Boot Creek #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Room for You (Cranberry Inn, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Noble Servant (A Medieval Fairy Tale #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Turn to Me (Kathleen Turner, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forbidden Fling (Wildwood #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Vanishing Girl (The Vanishing Girl, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Unwanted Wife (Unwanted, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • In His Shadow (The Tangled Ivy Trilogy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Fire (Red-Hot SEALs, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • The Sapphire Affair (Jewel, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Thing Called Love (Mirror Lake, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Tea and Secrets (Adams Grove, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Highland Promise (Murray Brothers, 3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • MacKenzie Fire (Shine Not Burn, #2)
  • Ensnared
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Turning Point (Kathleen Turner, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Number, Right Guy (The Bourbon Street Boys, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow of a Doubt (The Tangled Ivy Trilogy, #2)
  • Between Me and You
  • Just One Thing
    $4.49 $1.99
  • In the Band (Luminescent Juliet, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Glassblower
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Blank Slate
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Picturing Perfect (Love of My Life, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unforgiven (The Forbidden Bond #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Nothings (Sugar Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sprinkles on Top (Sugar Springs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Forged In Ash (Red-Hot SEALs, #2)
  • Of Noble Birth
  • Something More Than This
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Need You for Mine (Heroes of St. Helena, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Best Medicine (Bell Harbor, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Need You for Always (Heroes of St. Helena, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Out of Turn (Kathleen Turner, #4)
  • The Matchmaker's Playbook (Wingmen Inc. 1) [Kindle in Motion]
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Letters (Rose Harbor #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Barbecue and Bad News (Adams Grove, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Mint Juleps and Justice (Adams Grove #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royal Games (The Royals of Monterra, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Up for Heir (Westerly Billionaire #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Royal Chase (The Royals of Monterra)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The American Lady (The Glassblower Trilogy #2)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Wingman (Alpha Male, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
  • The Last Move
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • The Perfect Game (The Perfect Game, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Turn, Right Direction (The Bourbon Street Boys, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Revealed to Him (Kerr Chronicles, #3)
  • I've Got Your Number
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Ink My Heart (Luminescent Juliet, #2)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Wild Swans
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Highland Surrender
  • Voyage of the Heart
  • Good Boy (WAGs, #1)
  • Even the Score
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Point of No Return (Kathleen Turner, #5)
  • 180 Seconds
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shine Not Burn (Shine Not Burn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • 8 Bodies is Enough (Body Movers, #8)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • The Matchmaker's Replacement (Wingmen Inc. #2)
  • Rhythm, Chord & Malykhin
    $2.99 $1.49
  • A Glimpse of the Dream
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Game Changer (The Perfect Game, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • How to Bake a Perfect Life
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Radio Silence
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Domination (Submission, #2; Songs of Submission, #4-6)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Sugar Springs (Sugar Springs, #1)