Start by marking “The Quarterback” as Want to Read:
The Quarterback

The Quarterback

Matt Lancaster is the star quarterback at Bodine College, a small Southern Division II school with an ultra-conservative Dean of Athletics. Matt is also very much in the closet, and he thinks he’s kept his secret well hidden. Until his best friends take him to a happy endings massage parlor and request a male masseuse for him.

In walks Trevor Kim, a gorgeous, pierced, tatt
Published September 11th 2017 by Riptide Publishing (first published September 9th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Quarterback, please sign up.
Tanya I know, I've been looking too. As far as I've heard she hasn't had any social media posts or anything since 2017. At first people thought the book was…moreI know, I've been looking too. As far as I've heard she hasn't had any social media posts or anything since 2017. At first people thought the book was gone because Riptide was closing and it was in the midst of being republished, but since the author is not around I'm doubting that.(less)

Start your review of The Quarterback
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~4.5~

~ a virgin quarterback ~ a forbidden massage ~ one very happy ending ~

Matt Lancaster is blonde and built. He's a star quarterback at a small Christian college in Alabama and a good student. Every guy wants to be him. Every girl wants to fuck him. Matt's living the American dream.

Except Matt's dream doesn't include a girlfriend or a pro career. Matt is gay and so deeply closeted, he's suffocating. His abusive, homophobic father schemes people out of money and keeps his son on a tight leash.
☆ Todd
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it

Some good and some (kinda) bad stuff here, but I ended up enjoying it, for the most part.

First, I really liked both Trevor and Matt, neither of whom totally fell into the stereotypical Asian math nerd or dumb jock roles.

Despite being rejected by his family, Trevor was not a delicate flower, waiting around in his throw pillow-infested ivory tower for a man to swoop in and rescue him. He was strong, confident and ready to put in the work to make a better life for himself -- even if that meant work
Shin Mon Thway
Normally, I’m not one for sports romance. In fact, I usually avoid them because I never got the appeal of football and such competitive field games. 🤷‍♀️ (When I say football here, I’m talking about American football. 😁) And I also stay way from New Adult romances because I always felt like it’s the awkward middle child between Young Adult and Adult novels. 😂 That being said, my my my, why did I wait this long to listen this gorgeous audio?!?! 😱

First of all, I really have to thank my awesome Goo
Line
*Ugh* Okay... Ignore me! Seriously, let me stay here in my dark corner with my 'frikadeller' and my sour attitude.
This book did not work for me, and the funny thing is, it wasn't one big fuck-up; it was all these little creeks adding to this story, that ended up being a shit-river for me.

I cannot express how much I agree with Gigi and Ele.
First of all, this book feels like one of the first MM-books. ALL of the clichés are dragged in, ALL of them! And I really wished someone had grabbed the auth
Shile
10 stars for the Audiobook. Greg is the man, he made this book tolerable.

2.5 stars for the story

This book was calling to me. NA with a closeted quarterback and a beautiful out and proud Asian guy who likes to wear eyeliner and has piercings, I mean what’s not to love right? It had 5 stars written all over it until it became cringey. Some parts were good and really funny but other parts oh boy! Were horrible especially the dialogue.

The main Mc’s were likable enough and Greg’s narration brought th
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
When I first finished the story, my gut reaction was that I liked it. Really liked it.

The Quarterback has some of my favorite tropes in M/M (closeted athlete, clandestine romance, coming out, first time gay experience). When I focused on those aspects of the story, I was one happy camper.

But then, the more I sat on my review, the more my little niggles came back to haunt me.

I really couldn't stand the secondary characters, and I think Mackenzie Blair has to think long and hard about how peopl
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
4.5 Stars!

Definitely took a chance on this one and for once it payed off.

Between the cover and the blurb I couldn't not request this one. I'm a total sucker for sports romance. This one had all of the ingredients to be a total drama disaster but it never went there.

Yes, there's some angst. But the good kind of angst.

And there's a virgin. A not at all shy virgin when it comes to exploring man sex.

This one was SMOKING HOT!

Great main characters and secondary characters. I loved Trevor's roomma
Ele
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
*2.5 stars*

Dissenting opinion ahead.

I'm fully aware I'm in the minority with this one, so don't mind me, I'll be over there in my box of shame.

This book was a weird experience for me. I never thought it could happen, but for the first time ever, the secondary characters almost ruined the story for me. Almost, but not completely, thus...rounding up to 3 stars.

First of all, I need to clarify that I did like the romance and the chemistry between Trevor and Matt. The tension was just right, the sex
Gigi
Sep 02, 2017 marked it as dnr-dnf-not-4-me
I made it to 30% and had to stop. This book felt like a giant step backwards in time as far as M/M romances go. Gay stereotyping, homophobic family and friends and school officials. Just yucky stuff.

The sex was hot, to be sure, but not hot enough to keep me going with the kind of angst I am no longer interested in.

I did not finish so I will not rate.
Dia
4 stars for this sexy quarterback and his handsome Korean boyfriend

I am not really a fan of sports romance, but this one ended being a good surprise. For me.
I saw my GR friends have very different opinions, some loved it so much, some hated it. I can't say I loved it, so I'm kind in the middle. I just ended enjoying it way more than I expected. And the angst was bearable.

Matt Lancaster was a super sexy quarterback, but unfortunately closeted. His dad and well everyone in his college were bigot
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
Debut author Mackenzie Blair lured me with that irresistible blurb.

Sports romance with a Southern MC set in the South? *pancake eyes*
Interracial romance with a pierced MC? *woozy*

I may have strained something trying to get to the request button, though to be honest, I was thinking that piercing was... ah... someplace else. 😳

Anywhoozle...

The Quarterback is a coming out, first love sports romance set at a small college in Alabama (I say it's based on Baylor but don't quote me). Matt is the quarter
Jaime
5 stars

The Quarterback by Mackenzie Blair, is a book that caught my eye because of the cover. I mean, did you see it? Hot. Damn. That is one fine specimen on the cover...and I admit to totally judging this book by its cover! The thing is, after the cover drew me in - the story kept me tangled up in this book. I read this book, non-stop from cover to cover, beginning-to-end only pausing when I was forced to pry the book from my hands! This story was totally worth missing sleep before a 12 hour sh
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
Audio - 5 +++ stars
Story - 4 stars

I was going to pass on this book because of some of the comments I read in the negative reviews. But my dearest friend, Shin, insisted that I give the audio a try. I'm so glad that I did!

Thanks, Shin! xoxo

I really enjoyed the story and the all the characters, excepts the twin sisters. I didn't find their inappropriate questions the least bit funny. They were gross!! (That's why 4 stars instead of 5).

I hope Drew gets a story of his own. I also think it would be
Zoe
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sexy, sassy, and heartwarming!

The Quarterback is a provocative sports romance about college life, embracing one's sexuality, and having the strength to follow one's heart regardless of the consequences.

The characters are handsome, charming, troubled and flawed. The writing is erotic and smooth. And the plot is an alluring tale full of sexual innuendoes, flirty banter, blazing chemistry, familial drama, friendship, support, acceptance, and love.

The Quarterback is an entertaining, provocative debu
Hanne
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: new-adult
Matt is gay, but he’s still in the closet. He’s the star quarterback at college and everything will change when someone should find out he’s gay. He’s attracted to Trevor from the start and he hasn’t felt that way in a long time. He keeps going back to Trevor’s work to see him. Trevor can’t believe that Matt is a client at one of his jobs. He’s always had a crush on him. Matt will take a chance with Trevor. They have to be secretive, but they love to be together.

I loved this book. It’s hot, bea
Dani
I was in the mood for a sports romance and this book has been on my sight long before it was released, I mean, have you seen that cover? *fanning myself* Hot blond quarterback! Besides, the blurb adds a pierced and tattooed fellow? Yes, please.

However, I read this and I ended up with mixed feelings about it. I’m gonna be pretty straightforward and start saying what I didn’t like:

~ The beginning. What kind of friends are those!? You know your bestie is a closeted gay and why on earth would you d
Fabi
Super cute. Super sweet.

Sometimes 5 star books are the ones that make you hurt or make you feel strong emotions. But sometimes five star books are the ones that just let you have a good time with the story.

This is one of those happy stories. It's fun and interesting. It has a group of wonderful characters that you'd want as your friends and family. This is one of those that makes you smile and leaves you feeling good.

Review ARC graciously provided by Riptide Publishing via NetGalley
Truuss / Loveislovereview
Sep 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: lgbtq, 2017
I can't find a motivation for a star...
I'm a bit upset by my own review and I really doubt to put it online....maybe later
Karen
Oh those college boys...

Ok so here's the elephant in the room this book is full of stereotyping and cliches are running rampant here, but let's also recognize that this book is set in the south at a 'christian' college with definite homophobic leanings. Nowhere are we given that impression that this is a progressive college with an accepting or even tolerant administration...so, I'm pretty much thinking stereotyping and cliches are a part of the norm and honestly an 'Oh your gay, that's nice
Annika
description

Aaawwww, that was so cute! And not in the saccharine, so sweet my teeth ache kind of way, just genuinely adorable and nice. I really liked this.
Sure, lots of elements in this book were terribly cliché, and the angst that comes with one of the love interests being in the closet usually isn't my thing, but those guys were just so damn lovable.
Get dressed," Drew singsonged, enjoying this way too much. "So you can go play poker with your hunky boyfriend and these gay-loving, rainbow-flag-waving f
Amanda

This is MacKenzie Blair's first M/M romance and I can see that the characterization and plot are pretty reserve. She went for the safest route and for seasoned M/M readers, I felt that I'm not being challenge. But on the other hand, I find it refreshing, not everything needs to be difficult. The part that I enjoy most are probably due to Matt and Trevor was pretty honest to each other right from the beginning. They didn't pour their heart out, but was pretty upfront about everything els
Susan
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm
There are a lot of mixed reviews of this book. And I do get why some people would find this book offensive, because it has all the gay clichés, and they were simply awful.

Things like, “But I’m not that kind of gay’” were said a lot. But I knew this going in, so I tried to ignore it as best as I could.

My rating has more to do with the fact that I really hate closet cases. And the reason why may be understandable, if it’s fear for a parent, fear for a scholarship, or one’s team, I honestly don’t c
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
This is a tough one. I have seen people who love it. People who mostly enjoyed it and people who couldn’t finish it.

I don’t know where I fall in that. 2★'s = it was ok, so I'll just go with that. I don't have enough feeling about it to love it or hate it honestly. It read so juvenile to me. These boys did not seem like they were seniors in college, at times I wouldn’t have even put them as seniors in high school.

The dialogue was cheesy and not hot.

The fights were nasty and very, very immature.

Ma
River
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
3.5 rating
I can't do a proper review of this book because I, again, forgot to update my reviews *hangs head in shame*

I remember that I liked it and that it was better than I expected. it's not a perfect read, it does have some unbelievable things and maybe even uncomfortable (I really don't get where the stereotype of "cool girlfriend that ask inappropriate questions to gay men" comes from but I hate it)
but overall it's good. it's fun if you are the mood for some NA with a hot, nice young men.
Steven
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thanks to the publisher and to Netgalley for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.

Matt Lancaster is a dream -- a fantasy. Trevor is so lucky to have one of my fantasies come true for him! :) Alas, it's not all rainbows and unicorns for these two -- they have an uphill battle in their path to love.

The writing was a little juvenile and the plotting was a little predictable and the characters were a little stereotypical... but I really enjoyed it. It was nice knowing that, eve
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

I wasn't sure what to expect when I begin reader The Quarterback. Often times coming of age novels are fulfilled with unnecessary angst and drama. While this contains drama it was perfectly paired with two men, Tevor and Matt.

I really enjoyed reading how these two opposites fell for each other. Their relationship wasn't always roses but they worked together to make their relationship work.

Neither had it easy and didn't have a huge support system but they learned to rely on the other.

The pair als
*TANYA*
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
What can I say?? Good story, full of “OMG” moments that had me on edge. It was touch and go there for minute. Very well written, I only wish this author had more of a selection to read from.
Ami
3.75 stars rounded up

Sometimes, reading a book in the right mood helps. And this is definitely the case with my experience reading The Quarterback, from new-to-me author Mackenzie Blair.

Why?

Because any other day, I will probably be really pissed off with some of the inappropriate things that either the MC's or the secondary characters here say or do. I mean, girl cooties, Trevor? Really? Or saying that women's boobs are like fatty tissues? Or enforcing some of the stereotypical gay men, or homo
.Lili.
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
There was a lot to love about The Quarterback by Mackenzie Blair.

-The main characters, Matt and Trevor. They were both likable and exhibited character growth during the story- especially Matt.

-There was palpable chemistry between Matt & Trevor.

-Banter

-There was a natural progression to their relationship.

But the length and side characters made me deduct a star and a half.

-A half star because somewhere around the 75% the book started to feel long and I had to skim a bit to get going again.

-The fu
Eugenia
Wasn’t this all kinds of fun? Of course, it’s nothing we haven’t seen before...closeted gay athlete starts to secretly date “out” man. Still, I read this in one sitting. And it wasn’t a short book. Now I find myself wondering what kept me so engaged?

It couldn’t have been the trope or plot, although I enjoyed it. The dialogue wasn’t remarkably witty. The writing, overall, was good, but not bombastic. The secondary characters didn’t leave huge impressions. That leaves us with the MCs.

I think I sim

• Off the Ice  (Hat Trick, #1)
  • The Blueprint (Rules of Possession, #1)
  • Five Dares
  • A Deeper Blue (Rules of Possession, #2)
  • Strong Side (Eastshore Tigers, #1)
  • Out in the Deep (Out in College, #1)
  • Fake Out (Fake Boyfriend, #1)
  • Want Me (Extracurricular Activities #1)
  • Rule Breaker (Mixed Messages, #1)
  • Out in the End Zone (Out in College, #2)
  • Up for the Challenge
  • Down by Contact (The Barons, #2)
  • Trick Play (Fake Boyfriend, #2)
  • Illegal Contact (The Barons, #1)
  • Top Secret
  • Facing West (Forever Wilde, #1)
  • Heated Rivalry (Game Changers, #2)
  • Deal Maker (Mixed Messages, #2)
Mackenzie Blair grew up in the South but fled the humidity for earthquakes, university, and a brief stint in finance. As a cynical idealist, she prefers to write happy endings whenever possible.