Start by marking “City Boy (Hot Off the Ice, #1)” as Want to Read:
City Boy (Hot Off the Ice, #1)

City Boy

(Hot Off the Ice #1)

Follow the money or follow your heart?

All Bryce Lowery knows how to do is play hockey. He’s been playing professionally since he was fifteen. Twenty years later, he’s rich, famous, tired, and alone. And possibly gay according to his ex-wife.

When a blown tire leads directly to mind-blowing sex with a motorcycle-riding white knight named Dakota, Bryce discovers he is most de
Published June 29th 2017

To ask other readers questions about City Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City Boy

Start your review of City Boy (Hot Off the Ice, #1)
~Mindy Lynn~
This was a sweet romance..

I really enjoyed this book. It was low on angst and drama and just what I needed for a relaxing day of reading.

Bryce is just a big old naïve teddy bear. I wanted to cuddle up to this big guy. For a man to have such an intimidating exterior he was quite vulnerable with one of the biggest hearts. All he ever wanted to do was play hockey and take care of his family. But lately he's grown a bit wore down with all the injuries and time away from his family and is consideri
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Adorable and sexy!

I really enjoyed this low-angst story about a hot shot hockey player finally coming to terms with his sexuality and the country boy who steals his heart.

Bryce is one of the most endearing MCs ever. He has such a huge heart.

The ending made me feel all gooey inside. This is love at first sight done right.
Shile
3 stars for the Audio
2 stars for the story

I guess it is time for me to go into:

description

Its Me! not the Book! so many readers loved this. I just couldn't get into the story that much. Some parts were sweet, others i found really irritating.

My first attempt at reading this failed due to the many typos and the Insta between Bryce and Dakota threw me off. When i saw Michael Pauley was narrating this i decided to give it another try, i have to say as much as i love MP, here it was somehow a miss especially w
Virginia Cavanillas
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgtb, rambles, sports
Sexy read about self discovering and love. A sweet sport romance with no sport in it (Bryce is a Hockey player recovering from an injury so no play time for him) but with a lot of cute-hot moments.

I don't know why but when the setting in a book is Colorado I go crazy and very invested just because.
I could blame Kristen Ashley's books or the fact that just imagine the Rocky Mountain made me nostalgic... a nonsense since I am from Spain and even if a traveler, the nearest I've been from this mount
Erth
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This romance was a warm, heartfelt read that hit all the ‘awe’ buttons. The initial chemistry between Bryce and Dakota is off the charts, but at the same time both their characters are apparent already. I loved Bryce’s big heart and sweetness, trying to take care of everyone he loved. And he was so wonderfully oblivious, it was sweet and funny at the same time.

There’s a solid amount of angst in City Boy, but it’s realistic, and at least they’re talking to each other—most of the time. Bryce’s con
DW
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-love
4 stars because Bryce and Dakota were just way too cute!!

City Boy was such a sweet book. It also had a couple of sexy moments.

First off... Hockey Players are about as sexy as they come and then you throw in a farmer that rides a motorcycle!! 🔥🔥

I got my sugary sweet fix that I was needing!!!! ❤️
Susan
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, gbr
I guess I’m going to be the odd one out with this, since everyone loved this. I mean, I liked it, but I also had some issues with it.

Bryce is a 34 year old professional hockey player, currently recovering from a knee injury. He is traveling to Colorado to see a house he inherited from a long lost relative when he gets a flat tire. It is 24 year old Dakota who comes to his rescue.

And while the two are trying to change the tire, Bryce can’t help but check out the beautiful younger man. A lot of pe
Len Evans Jr
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book started out a bit slow for me, part of that problem was the fact that within pages of the beginning of this book it was obvious what the connection was between the two MCs. That of itself was not the issue... the fact that the two MCs did not know what it was till 30% of the way through the book was. However, after reading the whole book it totally worked for me. Though it meant I put the book down a few times, and shifted to reading something else, in the end I kept being drawn back t ...more
Teal
For the majority of this book I thought I'd be giving it 4 stars. The drama level was low, which I'm fine with -- there needs to be some level of struggle for the character(s), but I hate being bowled over by misery and suffering. There was no gratuitous angst here.

And there was a lot I enjoyed, mostly in the first half of the book. There were lots of funny bits worth highlighting. But somewhere in the second half the fun leached away.

It was due to a gradual accumulation of things. For example,
Jenni Lea
Super adorbs

This is exactly what I needed right now. A super sweet read about two adorable idiots fumbling their way through love. Completely pocket worthy. These two put a smile on my face that's still there after finishing the book.
Gigi
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was an ooey-gooey delight! And the next book comes out tomorrow. Yay!
Cadiva
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked an awful lot of this book, the plot isn't beyond the realms of possibility - there are plenty of men who don't come out until later life for whatever reason - and it felt honest.

I believed that Bryce hadn't a clue why he wasn't able to make his marriage work even though he'd loved his wife (they're over by some years when this story starts) and that his weird feelings about other blokes he'd put down to either admiration of their skills or their personalities, rather than they'd been the
Gabi
Nov 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Borrowing Blue by Lucy Lennox
I enjoyed this book for the most part. But it felt too insta for me... it wasn't actually, but the whole story spanned over two weeks, which seemed awfully fast, though the feelings were there.
I think I have only 2 big complaints: The beginning and the ending. XD

The beginning: (view spoiler)
Jay
3.5 stars – Though I have several of her books on my Kindle already, City Boy is the first of A.E. Wasp’s books that I have read. Low on the angst and quick on the insta-love, this is the sort of easy reading that’s perfect if you’re looking for a sweet and uncomplicated romance.

Bryce Lowery’s life has always been about hockey, but after twenty years of playing professionally and currently sitting out for a lengthy recovery after an injury, the idea of signing a new multimillion-dollar contract
haletostilinski
Very much enjoyed this one!

RTC...

~*~

4.5 Stars!

I really loved this story.

Honestly, the only thing that truly bothered me, although it's not truly a complaint, is that I SO wanted a detailed scene of Dakota bottoming, because the book kinda built it up, him imagining it several times and them talking about it, but - can't have everything, and ultimately it's not a huge deal, just a personal thing.

But aside from that, this was very good. The sex was amazingly hot and scorching and passionate, an
ReadingAllNite
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, arc-read
I absolutely. Friggin. Loved. This! Bryce has lived for hockey since he was 14. Now at 34 he's been injured, and faces decisions about his career. He's also questioning his sexuality, having been told by others for years, including his ex-wife, that he's gay. But introspection is not his strong suit. When Dakota stops to help the hapless man with a tire, sparks fly and Dakota helps Bryce confirm that he is indeed, gay as a Pride parade. Dakota has known nothing but loss all his life. All the fam ...more
BR11
I really enjoyed this story. Dakota was adorable and Bryce was so clueless about everything. They made one hot couple.
The secondary characters were nice too and we get to meet Robbie, the MC in the second installment of this series.
Free with Kindle Unlimited
Caipi
At first I wasn't so sure if I would like this story, but with each chapter I liked the main characters better and enjoyed the book more and more.
Great audio, narrated by Michael Pauley!

Story 3.5 stars
Audio 4 stars

BWT (Belen)

Sexy, fun, adorable, sweet...I love a good fish out of water story and when combined with an age gap between partners, great side and secondary characters, and a happy ending I'm a very happy camper. City Boy offered not only romance, but some twists and turns that kept the story flowing well and me interested throughout.

I enjoyed Michael Pauley's narration overall and thought he did a good job bringing the story to life and giving the character's personalities a chance to shine.

Note for stickle
Sandy
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately, I don't think this author is for me. I found the characters to be very flat and unrealistic. Bryce's boy scout personality verged on annoying and Dakota was whiny. They just didn't grab me. The writing didn't really appeal to me either. Unrealistic dialog, repetitive descriptions, and stilted prose. I ended up skimming most of the book because it just didn't hold my attention.
Alisa
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this so much. This is a new to me author so this was a really pleasant surprise.

Full review to come.
SoCalBookReviews
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio_owned
This book was seriously good!! I absolutely LOVED everything about it.
Super cute, sweet, feel good story with really likeable characters. And the Audio was fantastic!!! This is the start of a new series I am really looking forward to. I cannot wait to see where the Author takes this series next.
Dakota has learned that not a lot of people and things in life are for keeps. Everyone and everything leaves you at some point in time. And now Dakota is due to lose the home, farm and Apple orchard he’
namericanwordcat
Awww. This is a great romance. Bryce and Dakota are wonderful together. Bryce falls into a gentle giant category of hero who has been clueless about his own sexual orientation though many around him have not. He is kind and so hardworking.

Dakota is younger and has had one fairly abusive relationship in the past but he is also kind.

The meet up of theses too and their circumstances are a bit over the top but they talk about it like grown ups which is nice. The sex is hot but so is the communicati
Calila
Really a cute love story. I loved Bryce's journey and just how DOWN he was for it. He just rolls with it without that much angsting over it. There's disbelief and "how did I not know this about myself?" but not angst. I also liked that Dakota's insecurity was handled in such a different way that is typical. I don't know if I can explain the difference but it felt different to me. I also loved that Dakota just gave up on trying to resist what he was feeling. It was charming in it's way. Bryce's f ...more
Leyna

Sweet, enjoyable and easy read :)
Mindy
Jul 23, 2017 added it
Shelves: dnf, lgbtq
DNF 43%
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
4.5 stars! Sweet read! If the rest of the books in this series are just as good, I'm all in.
Neil Plakcy
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm-romance
Boy, I loved this book! The characters were so well drawn that they jumped off the page, even the minor ones. Dakota and Bryce both have very reasonable stories (even if Bryce is a little late to the game in recognizing his desires.) The sex is hot, and the hockey/apple orchard background is well done too.

Highly recommended!
Apolishedreader
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this low angst, sweet story! Bryce is a sweetheart and I really needed this book when I read it. They were obviously just meant to be and their attraction is palpable.
The ending was just right. I did read this after the second book so I already knew how it would end and where they end up (uh, maybe that is why we should read a series in order? lol)
The characters in this book were all spot on as well. I really enjoyed the story and I wish I had read the series in order.
Recommend
Anke
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it

It was a nice, easy read, perhaps a bit too easy and all the drama around Kyle wasn't really necessary. But I loved the family!

Not sure whether I'll give the next book a try, depends on who will be the MC.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Changing Lines (Harrisburg Railers, #1)
  • First Season (Harrisburg Railers, #2)
  • Across the Pond (Arizona Raptors #2)
  • The Nature of the Game (Stick Side #2)
  • Coast to Coast (Arizona Raptors #1)
  • Coach's Challenge (Scoring Chances, #5)
  • Guarding Garrett (Hockey Allies Bachelor Bid)
  • The Castle (Love in O'Leary, #5.5)
  • Nailed (Four Bears Construction, #2)
  • Tough Guy (Game Changers, #3)
  • Fakers
  • Power Plays & Straight A's (CU Hockey #1)
  • The Rivalry
  • Empty Net (Scoring Chances, #4)
  • Caulky (Four Bears Construction, #1)
  • On the Ice (Stick Side, #1)
  • Power Play (Scoring Chances, #3)
  • Off Plan (Whispering Key, #1)
After time spent raising children, earning several college degrees, and traveling the world with the U.S. State Department, she is returning to her first love - writing.

A dreamer and an idealist, Amy writes about people finding connection in a world that can seem lonely and magic in a world than can seem all too mundane. She invites readers into her characters’ lives and worlds when they are their

Hot Off the Ice (5 books)
  • Country Boy (Hot Off the Ice, #2)
  • Skater Boy (Hot Off the Ice, #3)
  • Boy Next Door (Hot Off the Ice, #4)
  • Boys of Summer (Hot Off the Ice #5)

News & Interviews

“She scoffed. “Like I’ve never seen a dick before.” She caught Robbie looking at her with a big smile. She tilted her chin at him. “Hey, Rookie.” “You’re Nikki.” He sounded starstruck. “The one and” 0 likes