Start by marking “What a Pirate Desires” as Want to Read:
What a Pirate Desires

What a Pirate Desires

(Pirate #1)

Only Luke Bradley knows the secret of his fellow pirate Sam Steele: Sam is actually Samantha, a woman driven by revenge.

Though Sam sails her stolen ship under a pirate flag, there is no creature more loathsome to her than a scalawag. As they journey across the unpredictable Caribbean Sea, Luke finds that making a criminal pay for his sins is second to the quest to win Sam
Published December 2nd 2008 by Berkley (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about What a Pirate Desires, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What a Pirate Desires

Regan Walker
Feb 22, 2013 rated it liked it
3 and Stars: Entertaining Pirate Read with a Female Pirate

Set in in the Caribbean in 1656 (Prologue) and 1661, this is the story of Samantha Fine--whose family was slaughtered by pirates. The hero is the notorious one-eyed pirate, Captain Luke Bradley. Years after the attack that robbed her of her family, Sam has become the infamous pirate Sam Steele and needs Luke to find the pirate who killed her family, the same pirate who took Luke's eye. She frees Luke from gaol and they combine their tale
Shyann
I read Aidens story first not knowing it was part of a long series. So I really enjoyed seeing him as a little boy here and learning more about some of the events he referred to. Can’t wait to read the rest
ZaBeth  Marsh
Nov 29, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommended to ZaBeth by: Sheila
If I can't finish a romance book in four days; it isn't moving a long. Time to call this one quits.
Jennifer Ashley
Nov 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This non-stop pirate romance has it all: high-seas adventure, a daring quest, a courageous heroine, and best of all, a true pirate hero to die for.
Kelsey
I very rarely just grab something off the shelf and buy it, but this was at a local library sale and in my ongoing ploy to get myself to like a pocket romance, I grabbed it without looking at much else besides "there's this cool lady and she pretends to be a scary pirate sometimes." I mean, yes.

Besides the fact that that premise was undermined within, like, the first ten pages, this was a nice foray into piracy. The setting was interesting (tell me ALL ABOUT THOSE BOATS PLEASE) and I really like
Nyssy
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A joy to read! A lot adventures and twists and turns but in the end all happy. ❤ ...more
Letschat1974
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
i found all 5 books in this series well written and followed the same format. witty dialog, good characters, story you can cruise along with and the romance piece balanced. a few hot kisses, about 70% mark first love making scene and a few afterwards towards the last 30% (not as detailed ). i read the last book first and found that it was much better reading a second time after reading the first 4 books in their order (would recommend others to read the series in order, believe it would be more ...more
Dorothea Müller
Samantha will Rache üben. Dazu verkleidet als gefürchteter Freibeuterkapitän Sam Steele und um den Mörder ihrer Familie zu finden braucht sie den Piraten Luke Bradley. Doch Luke hat was anderes vor und Sam ist ja nur eine Frau mit einem Herzen. Als sie den Aufenthaltsort des Mörders suchen und sich auf den Weg machen. Luke hat seine eigenen Ziele und hält sich nicht immer an die Regeln.

Piraten, ich liebe Pirate schon vor Jack Sparrow, danach aber erst recht. Ich will auch. :) Dann mal zum Buch.
Courtney
I found this book through a goodreads recommendation and was hunting for a pirate book that my local library had available on the shelf. This one fit those marks beautifully.

However, it was just ok, hence the 2 star "it was ok" rating. There was absolutely nothing new, different, exciting, or unusual about this book. There was a dashing hero, an intrepid heroine, and a villainous villain. They were hunting for a common enemy while being chased by another foe. Swashbuckle, swashbuckle, swashbuckl
Danielles
Mar 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Good.

Sam ( antha), owner of a ( pirate) ship, needs Luke to get her revenge against a pirate!
But Luke likes her to much and lie'd to her,...
Sam likes him too, but after this lie she will end there relation,....but Luke had his reasons,....

Sam is not a real pirate, but she is tough!
Luke is great, but he has his lies,......
That was great!!!!in this story,.....

I like more from Beattie, but she is not the best writer,....yet,...
Dec 18, 2010 rated it liked it
This is the first book I've read by this author and although the book was ho-hum, it wasn't so bad that I won't read more of her work. It started out kind of slow but then became more interesting as the story went along. However, the ending left me wanting...wanting what I don't really know other than maybe a better ending.
Plot = C+
Romance = C+
Sensuality = B-
BOOK = C+
Monique Takens
Feb 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Ik heb de nederlandse uitgave gelezen ( Candlelight Historische roman 897 / Geef je over ) Ik begreep niet zo goed waarom Samantha een piraat was geworden want ik denk dat er ook wel andere manieren zijn om een persoon te vinden om daarna wraak te nemen . Er wordt nergens een reden gegeven waarom ze niet na haar ontsnapping naar een hooggeplaatst persoon ( gouverneur ) is gegaan voor hulp .
Regan
Oct 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Rachel
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, firstreads
I received this book from the Goodreads First Reads program.

I don't generally pick up Pirate romances, but do love a good historical. This fused the two subgenres well with a look at some of the "pirate isles" in the Caribbean. The story starts with a bang and ends with an awe. Everything in between was just as compelling. I do recommend it.
Apr 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Not bad for a "romance". It was more action/adventure for females. Cracked me up because the pirate who is the object of desire only has one eye, and that one eye is very expressive. It can show all kinds of emotions. Now I know what a pirate desires...revenge and love!
Jess
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
For a romance novel that has no fantasy it is good. It would be good for adult readers for some of the secenes that are suggested and acted out (but not throughly). It was a good read, and I would add more but I don't want to spoil it for future readers of this book.
Rodelene
Apr 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
LOVE IT! LOVE IT!
Nanci L.
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing

Really enjoyed this book. Well written, lots of action, lots of sex, good descriptions of life at sea and a good plot. Great beach reading! Easily keeps your interest.
Kelly Gerber
Oct 25, 2014
Mary
Apr 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Pleasuring the Pirate (How To, #2)
  • For the Love of a Pirate
  • The Care & Feeding of Pirates (Regency Pirates, #3)
  • Pirate in My Arms
  • Tell Me Lies
  • The Wind and the Sea
  • My Wicked Pirate
  • The Princess and Her Pirate (Sedonia, #1)
  • The Pirate And The Puritan
  • The Pirate and the Pagan
  • The Pirate Bride
  • What a Scoundrel Wants (Medieval, #1)
  • Master of Seduction (Sea Wolves, #1)
  • Embrace and Conquer
  • The Rogue's Prize (Nelson's Tea #2)
  • Pirates
  • The Pirate Prince
  • A Pirate's Pleasure (North American Woman Trilogy, #2)
Award-winning author Michelle Beattie has been writing since 1995. She sold her first book, What a Pirate Desires, in 2007.

Since recently wrapping up her 5 book pirate series, Michelle is currently working on a new historical western series.

When she's not writing she enjoys reading, playing golf, spending time with family and friends and enjoying the outdoors.

Pirate (3 books)