Start by marking “Dead Girls Can't Lie” as Want to Read:

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  209 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
Best friends tell each other the truth – don't they?

When North Stone's best friend Kelly Orton is found hanging lifeless in a tree, North knows for certain it wasn't suicide. Kelly had everything to live for – a loving boyfriend, a happy life, and most importantly of all, Kelly would never leave North all by herself.

The girls have been friends since childhood, devoted to e
Published August 15th 2017 by Aria

To ask other readers questions about Dead Girls Can't Lie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Girls Can't Lie

Carrie
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
North Stone and Kelly Orton had been best friends since they were very very young and had always considered themselves to be soul sisters. When North gets the news that Kelly was found hanging from a tree on a jogging path from an apparent suicide North knows that there is no way Kelly killed herself. Kelly was a fun a vibrant person whom everyone loved with a great boyfriend and no way she'd leave her best friend behind without a word.

The police are not listening to North's pleas to investigat
Linda Strong
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

Kelly Orton is found hanging from a large tree in the woods surrounding their small town. But this isn't a murder mystery ... or is it?

Kelly's best friend, North Stone, is adamant that there is no way Kelly would take her own life. Kelly and North had been best friends since they were young children. North's parents had taken a trip and never returned. Her grandparents, who raised her, have also passed. Kelly knew how much North felt abandoned ... would Kelly really have left North with
Lee
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
How close are best friends? Are they as close as they would like to think they are? We are told that North and Kelly have been best friends since they were two years old, so their friendship goes back a long, long way. Now in their 30's they are torn apart when Kelly is found dead hanging from a tree, a supposed suicide. But there is no way that North will except that Kelly committed suicide, she does not believe that Kelly would ever take her own life and hounds the police to look into her deat ...more
Manon
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
*2.5 Stars*

I was provided an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

North, 32, just lost her best friend, Kelly. Everyone keeps telling her it was a suicide but she cannot believe that and want to get to the bottom of it, at all cost.

From the synopsis alone, I thought I would love it. I was greatly disappointed. The writing style was simple and easy to follow. My problem was the characters, which were very very very annoying.
North was supposed to be smart, I found her aggravating in s
Ashley
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: british-read
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. Whilst I felt that the writing could have been more engaging and convincing, this was an OK read with a fairly good plot. The consistent gloomy atmosphere was perfect for the book. Loved all the flashbacks and thought the star symbolism was a strong one. The writing style as I highlighted was the bit that didn't work for me and personally I thought this would have been a better psychological thriller if it had more depth. Overall, ...more
Paula  Phillips
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it

North's best friend has been found hanging in the woods. Suicide is the supposed ruling of death. The thing though is that North doesn't believe that for one minute as her best friend Kelly would never do that, just end her life. It seems like someone else believes her too as she has been receiving text messages telling her that Kelly didn't kill herself. Who is sending her the messages and why won't the police believe her? I kept thinking during the book that the characters were in their late t
Kirsty 📚📖❤️

Another book, another really good thriller about friendship. How well do we really know about our friends? North Stone believes she knows everything about her best friend Kelly so when she is found hanged by a tree on a popular jogging route she refuses to believe her friend had taken her own life. The despite all the evidence pointing to suicide.

It becomes quite obvious who the killer probably is quite early on however the trick with this book is how North can get to the truth and then prove th
Eva
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
When North’s best friend Kelly is found hanging from a tree on a well-known jogging route, the police are quick to rule the incident a suicide. But North doesn’t believe her friend took her own life. Kelly had no business being on that route as she didn’t jog, she had everything to live for and most importantly North is convinced her friend would never leave her alone. Best friends since the age of two, they did everything together but how well did North know Kelly? And is lack of sleep making h ...more
Roxanne
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it

Thank you to Aria and Netgalley for a copy of the eARC in exchange for a fair review.

North has just found out her best friend Kelly has been found on a jogging trail hanging from a tree and the police believe that it was a suicide but North knows that isn't true. Kelly used to tell her that if she was ever found hanging from a tree on a jogging trail by a dog walker that it was murder, not suicide.

North has had trouble in the past so most people believe that she has gone over the edge with her d
Mandy White
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
this is a great book. when Norths best friend Kelly is found dead hanging from a tree she knows that she didnt kill herself. nobody believes her so she sets out to find out what really happened.. at any cost. thank you to Netgalley, the publishers and author for the chance to read and review this book
Jen (Thismomreads)
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
When I saw this title on Netgalley, I was immediately intrigued. A young woman refuses to believe her friend has committed suicide and does whatever she can to find out how she really died. The concept behind Dead Girls Can’t Lie is quite promising, however, there are elements of the novel that just didn’t work for me.

North Stone’s best friend Kelly, has hung herself in a local park. It seems like an open and shut case of suicide, however North refuses to believe it. After losing her parents and
Emma Mitchell
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jones has once again brought us a wonderfully written thriller.
When North Stone's best friend, Kelly, is found hanged in the local woods, North is adamant that she was murdered, unfortunately, she's the only one who feels this way.
North has a history of heartache following the disappearance of her parents at sea when she was younger so when she tries to voice her opinion that there has been foul play, no one thinks much of it and stick with the
A tightly paced novel that takes place over a short
Breakaway Reviewers
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Suicide or murder?

Carys Jones tells the tale of best friends, North Stone and Kelly Orton who have been best friends since the age of two. Therefore why was Kelly found hanging from a tree on a well-known jogging route? Why would she leave North all alone in the world?

As you can imagine the police treat the incident as a simple suicide but was it suicide or murder? Therefore North decides to investigate and goes on her own personal quest to discover the truth at whatever the cost.

The storyline
Lisa Doherty (Rambling Lisa's Book Reviews)
Review originally posted on Rambling Lisa's Book Reviews

I was very excited to be asked to take part in this blog tour given I have read Carys’ last book, Last Witness.

How far would you go for someone you love? Would you risk your life to prove that there was something more to their death than people want to believe? If you answered ‘Yes!’ to this question then you and North have something in common. When her best friend committed suicide North was sure that this was not the case, nothing made se
Anita
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aria-books
This novel is described as a thriller, but it's more of an exploration into the mind of a girl whose past has skewed her sense of truth. Not so much a whodunnit as a howdunnit - how does North distinguish her fertile imagination from reality and prove what she has always been convinced is true. More difficult, is can she expose the culprit to everyone's satisfaction when all those around her - but one - believes she is wrong and her mind is twisted by grief?

In this well written novel the author
Rach
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
🙄
Amanda
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
I said I was not going to read another Carys Jones book unless it came recommended by a friend. I said that! I didn't do that. The cover art and blurb for this book pulled me in, so I gave it a shot.

This book dragged for me. North was obsessive to the point of being annoying. I also had the hardest time reconciling the fact that North and Kelly were in their 30's...definitely immature in ways.
Kelly (purplebookstand)
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dead Girls Can't Lie

When you're best friends, you tell each other everything. You know each other inside out and don't have any secrets...or do you?

When North's best friend Kelly is found hanging in the woods, North refuses to believe that Kelly committed suicide and chose to die. When no one listens to her concerns, North investigates things herself and starts to discover things are not what she thought they were.

I really enjoyed this book, I would highly recommend that you give Dead Girls Can
Sam (Clues and Reviews)
I always get so excited when an author I have read before comes out with a new work. I was thrilled to find out that Carys Jones, the author of Wrong Number and Last Witness was coming out with a new book this month. The synopsis hooked me right away:

Best friends tell each other the truth – don’t they?

When North Stone’s best friend Kelly Orton is found hanging lifeless in a tree, North knows for certain it wasn’t suicide. Kelly had everything to live for – a loving boyfriend, a happy life, and m
Isaknee1
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Dead Girls can't lie is an Adult Fiction book about a woman named North Stone. North had always been best friends with Kelly Orton and was shocked when Kelly was found dead, having hung herself in a tree. North doesn't believe that it was a suicide since she had so much to live for. Despite having nothing to suggest that this was anything other than a suicide, North goes off on her own to prove that her friend was murdered.

I went into this knowing no more than what was in the synopsis because I
☘Tara Sheehan☘
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it
They synopsis and the author drew me in right away. I had read a couple of other books by Carys Jones in the last few months and she easily made the list of Jump on this book now for authors I watch out for. She’s a fantastic writer who makes suspense filled novels feel easy to read and immerse yourself into so you can enjoy the adrenaline rush that comes from being creeped out by her character’s less than ethical deeds.

This one I’m still trying to figure out how I feel.

When I first started read
Kyle Robertson
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
North Stone has strong convictions that her friend, Kelly, didn't kill herself. The problem is that no one will listen to North. The case seems pretty cut and dry, and North has a checkered past that doesn't make her the most reliable witness. When North receives cryptic text messages supporting her beliefs, she is determined to uncover the truth at all costs.

The complex plot has many layers. Each character is developed a little more as each layer is peeled back. North soon decides to undertake
Jill Jemmett
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I was very excited to read this book because I love thrillers. It may be because I've read so many good ones recently, but this one didn't live up to my expectations.

The concept for the story was very good. North suspects that Kelly didn't kill herself. But at the same time, North has a history of mental problems due to insomnia, so she isn't taken seriously. Some of the things she did in her past are explained logically, demonstrating that she wasn't actually crazy, such as the car accident she
Janine
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh my God, feelings!
This book contains the sad but concomitantly beautiful journey to make peace with letting a loved one go. It's not easy especially for North who has a very special connection to her soul sister Kelly. I loved getting to know them, to uncover each layer of their personalities, their relationship and the happenings which made them to the persons they have grown into. It's not that often to have characters created in so much detail and depth, so chapeau.
The story itself is, ther
Lea
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Dead Girls Can’t Lie is an intriguing story about friendship and secrets.

The author develops the characters as the novel goes on and you feel like you really get to know North as her desperate search to find out what happened to Kelly continues – and both she and Kelly do not always come across too well, I have to say,as they both have their faults! The flashbacks reveal a lot of problems between the two characters (I liked the element of mystery that this brought to the story – what DID happen
Ionia
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it
How to describe how I felt about this book. Hmmm. It's a tough one. Ever really really want something for Christmas, see a package under the tree that looks like it could be the right shape and size and then open it to find out it isn't what you hoped? It was kinda like that.

I wanted to love this book. The plot sounded highly interesting and in the beginning, I had high hopes for it, but it never quite lived up to those hopes. This is a very dark story, which, actually works pretty well for it,
Cyndi Becker
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: august-2017
Dead Girls Can't Lie, nor can they tell the truth.

North has known Kelly most all her life, and she is certain there's been a mistake in the investigation of Kelly's death. This is a good little mystery read about a young woman trying to prove that her best friend, Kelly, did not commit suicide.

I found the story to be well paced and balanced with just the right amount of time in the past and present. As with all friendships between young women, there have been some ups and downs, but for the mos
Shay Williams
Oct 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, net-galley
DEAD GIRLS CAN'T LIE is a different type of mystery. It starts off rather slowly and more then once, I considered setting it aside. I am really glad that I didn't however because North grows on you.

North has had issues in the past when her parents disappeared. Heck she still has issues but has managed to pull everything together until Kelly hung herself. She just knows that there is NO way that Kelly would have been out jogging and decide to kill herself. The police won't listen to her so North
Steve Sutherland
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Firstly, thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for allowing me a pre-release copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

In a brief outline of the plot, we see North Stone - a woman who has seen more than her fair share of despair and grief - coming to terms with the suicide of her best friend, Kelly. However, North refuses to accept that Kelly would do that and so she starts to dig around Kelly's life to find out the answers to the secrets she never knew Kelly had kept.

So, while I found
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Carys Jones loves nothing more than to write and create stories which ignite the reader's imagination. Based in Shropshire, England, Carys lives with her husband and her adored canine companion, Rollo.

When she's not writing, Carys likes to indulge her inner geek by watching science- fiction films or playing video games.

She lists John Green, Jodi Picoult and Virginia Andrews as her favorite autho
More about Carys Jones

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
  • Six Wakes
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Bluegate Fields (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #6)
  • Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • American by Day
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)