Start by marking “The Kubernetes Book: Version 2.2 - January 2018” as Want to Read:
The Kubernetes Book: Version 2.2 - January 2018

The Kubernetes Book: Version 2.2 - January 2018

Containers are here and resistance is futile! Now that we're getting our heads around Docker, we need an orchestration platform to help us manage our containerized apps. Kubernetes has emerged as the hottest and most important container orchestration platform in the world.

This book gets you up to speed fast, and it's constantly kept up-to-date!
Published June 18th 2017

To ask other readers questions about The Kubernetes Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kubernetes Book

Start your review of The Kubernetes Book: Version 2.2 - January 2018
Paul Nyheim
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit high level, but a good introduction and gets the concepts across.
Philippe Fanaro
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book covers all of the essentials and goes in depth on many useful topics. I would highly recommend it.

This is not the endgame book though, you will have to look for weird and specific stuff inside the Documentation or on Github, but it's a very solid quickstart and general overview, while going deep enough for you to understand how the essential things work.

Some improvements I would suggest are (as a consumer I would definitely be willing to pay more in order to get these):

- The `Jobs`
Arun Mahendrakar
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am new to Kubernetes and wanted to get some insight into what this is. I picked up this book and found it quite impressive. I'm yet to read through other books on Kubernetes, so this is not a comparative review.

The book starts with the basics which was a great for a novice like me. The initial chapters provide some history and the 40k view of what Kubernetes is along with the components (loosely spoken) of Kubernetes. Parts of the book are divided into Theory and Hands-on - something I found
Pushkar Joglekar
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technology
Great for Introduction to K8s

The book does an amazing job of introducing K8s with Nigel's tongue in cheek humor sprinkled around and is an entertaining read.

Title is slightly misleading though, in the sense that it conveys that this is "the" authoritative book on K8s covering everything it has to offer. However, it did definitely push me to have a look at official docs to dive deeper.

Lastly, a primer on how to secure k8s would make it worthy of 5 stars.
Olivier Grange-Labat
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This short book is an introduction to Kubernetes world. It gives a good overview of the technology, its strengths and main concepts. The author sure knows how to teach and explain complexity with simple, understandable words. A lot of authors lack this skill.

To make it even better :
- almost all apps are stateful nowadays and I’d have enjoyed more information on running them (eg a case study in the annex on how to host a blog)
- the chapter on installing k8s or using it on AWS, GCP or Azure could
Watsh
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good book to get started with on K8s

This book is well written and explains clearly the concepts for K8s... it is up-to-date but as the author calls it out in the introduction itself that this book is not a deep dive like author's other book on Docker and so it leaves some topics like stateful context, jobs, cron jobs, helm etc. This is a good book to quickly come to grips with the topic of using K8s. Author also tells where to go next and what else to learn more from other sources. He is
Mr Daniel R Speed
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Short, shallow

There are things that I like about this book, but it really only covers the very basics of kubernetes and ends up repeating itself quite a bit. The examples of configurations are appreciated, but it doesn't cover much in the way of real world needs - it doesn't touch on secrets, volumes and stateful containers, auto-scaling, configuration, meshes, metrics, logging, daemon sets, jobs. Especially with many readers potentially trying to migrate non container native applications, a
Chuck Fulminata
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Rather Disappointing

I purchased this book thinking it would serve as a deeper look at Kubernetes and add more to what I learned from "Kubernetes Up and Running". It doesn't. It's both bare bones and excessively verbose for its entire run. It feels the need to remind us that every kubectl command is actually a POST to the server, but completely doesn't bother with ingresses, secrets, comfigmaps, volumes, or networking beyond the absolute barest basics. I'd recommend simply reading the docs rather
Victor
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-tech
Really good book for people that want to get an introduction into Kubernetes. It gives a high level overview of what Kubernetes is and the components of a Kubernetes cluster (master and nodes). Then it covers the basic objects/concepts (pod, replica set, service, deployment, storage). The last two chapters tackle the subject of Kubernetes security.

The book is very approachable as it breaks down a complex subject into bite size chunks. Most chapters contain both theory and has hands-on sections.
Saifuddin Merchant
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's a good book - though I would recommend Nigel's video on plural-sight or cloudguru over it. The think with K8s is that its a more demo/practice heavy thing and you can't just read the book to understand the concept - the concept and the demo are practically tied together.

Great book if your getting started though I would recommend some basic video just so that your not lost when reading the book!
Alex Singh
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Easy read and great introduction to basic K8s

Great introduction to how Kubernetes works and what the key concepts are. After reading and digesting what this book presents along with actually using K8s I feel that I understand more in terms of what is going on. The next step for me is to understand some further concepts not discussed here such as the use of initContainers/sidecars.
William Anderson
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: new-architects
A thorough walkthrough and guide to Kubernetes for today. Nigel Poulton is an excellent technical author and knows the audience well. Each chapter/section being divided into at least 2 parts, one for theory and another for in depth application. You will finish this book with a sense of confidence and an ability to architect as well as implement more scalable systems. Particularly insightful are the breakdowns for use on various cloud platforms as well as self hosting.
Malte
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you already know a good deal about docker and you want to get started in kubernetes – this is the book you want to read.

The author has a deep knowledge about kubernetes and explains all important concepts very well. The book is structured into well-sized chapters that explain important concepts and build on top of each other, so that you can learn the topic step by step in a well ordered fashion.

Highly recommended!
Arun
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent introduction to Kubernetes. Nigel Poulton breaks a complex collection of terms and concepts and breaks it down in a very simple, easy-to-understand way and nails it. It's just unbelievable how he manages to make it ridiculously simple and makes you want to be using this more often than not.
Cemal Duman
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
I think title of book is backstabbing content. It should be Kubernetes for dummies or introduction to kubernetes. Too much repeating itself but i have to admit very good content just to undetstand “what kubernetes” is.
Dávid Molnár
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book will help you to get started with Kubernetes. It's quite short and easy to read, since it doesn't try to cover everything. Definitely worth to read.

Since the book is self published by the author, it's not edited very well and it has a lot of typos.
Saptarshi Basu
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Easy to read, good coverage with hands-on

It's pretty easy to follow. The concepts are detailed first and then in a separate section the hands-on and code snippets are provided along with detailed explanation. Good start for anyone wanting to learn about Kubernetes.
Paulo Alberto Simoes
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book

Easy to read but full of good information. I deeply appreciate and recommend this book.

Following a good sequence of knowledge helping create a perfect understanding of the Kubernetes core components.
Chris Bruce
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Start Here!

If you are new to Kubernetes, then this is the first book you should read. It is up-to-date and gives exactly the overview you need to get up and running. Clearly explains and shows examples for all the key concepts.

Highly recommend.
Hugo Samayoa
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Informative and organized

I really liked the real world examples. I started with the authors pluralsight course and then dove into this book. I really hope the author keeps maintaining the book.
Xpj
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good introduction into Kubernetes core concepts.
Klein Hu
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good for clear start with some basic knowledge of Docker or Container.
AmirHossein Goodarzi
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Does not cover all issues and specification of K8S but it worth reading for newbies. It shows the fundamental concept very well.
Daniel Ivanov
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
great book to jump start k8s
sophia
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
very well written book

make the tehnology easy to understand with hands on example. not a lot, but goid start.
i like the easy story telling write.style.
Pratham Gupta
I read the Nov 2019 version. The book is quite easy to understand even to beginners.
Chris
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very good introduction
hongkunyoo
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quite good for beginners.

Someone would think it's too shallow and obvious of the contents.
In my case, it was good for getting the picture of the concept.
Pratap Bhaskar
Nov 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Basics of Kubernetes only. Yet its a good start for someone who has zero to little knowledge on K8S
Morteza Jalali
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good introduction. Might need a more indepth kubernetes book before implementing it myself.

• Kubernetes: Up & Running
  • Terraform: Up & Running: Writing Infrastructure as Code
  • Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems
  • The DevOps Handbook: How to Create World-Class Agility, Reliability, and Security in Technology Organizations
  • Designing Data-Intensive Applications
  • Ansible for DevOps
  • Domain-Driven Design Quickly
  • Infrastructure as Code: Managing Servers in the Cloud
  • The Go Programming Language
  • Designing Distributed Systems: Patterns and Paradigms for Scalable, Reliable Services
  • Procrastinate on Purpose: 5 Permissions to Multiply Your Time
  • Site Reliability Engineering: How Google Runs Production Systems

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »