Start by marking “The Wife Between Us” as Want to Read:
The Wife Between Us

The Wife Between Us

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  72,571 Ratings  ·  9,644 Reviews
A novel of suspense that explores the complexities of marriage and the dangerous truths we ignore in the name of love.

When you read this book, you will make many assumptions.
You will assume you are reading about a jealous wife and her obsession with her replacement.
You will assume you are reading about a woman about to enter a new marriage with the man she loves.
You wil

Published January 9th 2018 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Wife Between Us, please sign up.
Rebecca Davis
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kim
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Emily May
I KNEW IT!

2 1/2 stars. Ugh, I'm almost as disappointed in myself as I am in this book. I don't consider myself an especially astute mystery/thriller reader. Pull out a good twist and I will probably be surprised. But here I saw the first big twist coming, and the string of twists after that left me feeling cold. Trust me to be wearing my detective glasses at the exact moment I really needed to be surprised.

The Wife Between Us basically introduces itself in the blurb as a book full of twists. Ass
j e w e l s [Books Bejeweled]
OH. MY. GOSHHHHHHHHHHH. I HAD TO ADD THIS TO MY TWISTER HALL OF FAME SHELF!

Where to start? This is hands down the twistiest, fastest, funnest-to-read domestic suspense in ages!

Unreliable narrator? Check.

Breath taking plot twists? Check.

Fast turning addictive page turning? Check. check. check. check. check!

What else is there in life?

Unlike all the other domestic noir books that claim to be the next Gone Girl, THE WIFE BETWEEN US actually IS the next book that people will go crazy over. I'm so ex
Deanna
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favorites
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

All the stars!!

It was the cover that first caught my eye. I loved it. And after reading the description for this novel, I couldn’t wait to read it.

As the book opens, a woman is unaware that someone is watching her. That someone is out to ruin her.

“She is oblivious to what I have done to her”

NELLIE can’t talk about the night that began with drinks and laughter, but ended with police and despair.

But now Nellie feels safe wit
Meredith
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

I know I am probably going to get beat up for this, but here goes nothing….

Secrets, lies, and a whole lot of over-the-top twists make up The Wife Between Us. This was a fun and entertaining read, but in the end it wasn’t the right book for me.

I loved the first half of this book--I ate up every word, and dreaded the moment when I had to put it down. I was surprised by the first twist--it threw me for a loop! Seriously, I was so addicted to this book that I read it every chance I got, in
Paromjit
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is without doubt a tense psychological thriller that makes a impact. It has you wondering if what you were reading was for real, and re-reading to check. It has you questioning what you think you know and where nothing is as it seems. Vanessa Thompson is a divorced woman who is barely managing to keep herself together and her days off from her job at Saks endanger her employment. She exists in a alcoholic haze, the wine bottles in her home attest to this. Vanessa used to be married to the w ...more
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
This little number is now available! My favorite thriller of 2017

WOWOWOWOWOW

I am leaving my first impression above because it still fits how I am feeling several hours after finishing this book. I think some may find the first third of this book slower-building (which I happen to love) and possibly even a tiny bit confusing. I will not give anything away, but keep going. Trust me. I already have a book hangover from this because my next book is not written nearly as well. So about that, the writ
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*

I have been sitting on this review for awhile now, thinking on how I want to write it. Each time I started a sentence, I was giving away too much of the plot. I went into this book blindly. I saw that the ratings were awesome and noticed it was a thriller which is my favorite genre, its not only just a thriller but a psychological thriller. I did read the blurb and the blurb didn't give anything away either. I had no idea what this book was about, and this book has lots of twists and turns that
Elyse
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The new *IT* psychological suspense novel - to be released in stores everywhere in January 2018 - is GOOD! It’s really GOOD!

ZERO SPOILERS!!!!!

I personally think it must have been a ‘KICK-OF-FUN’ for authors Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen to collaborate together.
There is a wonderful YouTube of both authors speaking about ‘how’ they went about writing it together - they didn’t each just take one character. They both worked on everything ..... and it sure sounds like they treasured working to
karen
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
NOW AVAILABLE!!!

every time i read a review where a book is “praised” as being "compulsively readable," i roll my eyes.

ev. er. y. time.

and i don't know if this particular book has received that lazy praise-umbrella anywhere, but in general, it's one of those overused empty-calorie assessments that tells me nothing about a book but is taking up space and time where i could have been reading something more useful. which is how most karen-eyerolls are earned. and yet... i gulped this book down, i g
Holly  B
I am just speechless!

There are so many twists, I was seeing double! My head was spinning and I went back to re-read several parts to “make sure” I read what I thought I read. Yes, that is exactly what I read. I need a lifeline….can I call a friend?

Meet Vanessa, the ex-wife with issues. I think I know her! She is jealous and obsessed with her replacement, Nellie. She is young and pretty just like her former self and Vanessa is having a hard time dealing with reality! Richard is the handsome, but
Evgnossia O'Hara
Review was originally published on Through the Chapters|Blog

*3 stars*

Have you heard about the ironic process theory which deals with the attempts to suppress certain thoughts and by this means make them more likely to surface?

For example, imagine a situation where someone tells you not to think about pink elephants. So, what are you doing? You are thinking about those pink elephants. You picture them in your mind in all their glory and even when you try to think of something else they invade int
Julie
The Wife Between Us is a 2017 St. Martin’s Press publication.

Engrossing domestic thriller!

This book got such a tremendous response from my fellow GR friends, I shot it up to the top of my TBR list, ignoring my usual cautionary optimistic approach to well received popular books, because I just had a feeling this one would deliver.

Richard’s first wife, Vanessa, was dumped for a younger woman after many years of marriage. Gone were all the trappings of wealth she had enjoyed as she struggles to
Kaceey - Traveling Sister
4.5*
When a book can create a buzz…when my sense of anxiety notches up! I know I’ve come across a great read!
This fantastic new release by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen did just that for me! With a constant aura of anticipation and unease, (Just what we love when reading a thriller!) I breezed through the pages.

I was reminded partially through, (thank you Brenda!) that a wicked twist lay ahead. Yet even with a heads-up, I never saw it coming! Whaaat??!! And bonus…there were plenty more to
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
When you read a very hyped up thriller and just end up disappointed.

I'm not going to give away any of the storyline because it is one that you just have to read. When I started this book I was over the top excited...because it does start off so very good.

Then for some stupid reason the book gods that hate me stepped in and decided to make this a total story twist overload.

Every frigging wife book doesn't have to be stupid Gone Girl. (I hated that shit too.)
Just make some crazy married peoples
Melisa
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, thriller, arc
Just a few more days to enter my giveaway!GIVEAWAY💙 12/15/17 - I have not one, not two but THREE copies of The Wife Between Us to giveaway! You can enter on my blog here .

____________

Engrossing and addictive, this little gem of a thriller with a major twist had me second guessing every character and I loved every moment of it!

This is one of those books that is unputdownable – you will be thinking of the characters when you’re not reading and wondering how it will all pan out. I had absolutely no
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Another thriller, another meh review.

This book follows an ex-wife obsessed by her replacement... or so you'll think.

The book did contains some twists I didn't see coming but I can't say I cared... at all. Contrary to the other reviews, I don't think this book will blow your mind. It was another domestic thriller with a drinking non reliable woman. It's now so common, it's straight up boring. I'm literally wondering if we read the same book.

If you're going to read it, I recommend the audiobook s
Crumb
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

When I read a book, there is something satisfying about being able to figure out the mystery before the big reveal. And there is something even more satisfying about being completely flummoxed as to what just happened. This was my reaction upon reaching the conclusion:

Step by Step Instructions For Reading This Book

1. Find a Comfy Chair

2. Maybe make a cup of tea or cocoa

3. Abandon all hope that you will get anything else done today. You won't want to. Your eyes are going to be glued to this

Debbie
EEK! A twister blister formed in my poor brain and it was ready to burst! This thriller had a twist that made me think three things, explanations that jumped fast around inside my head, irritating the hell out of the blister: Either I was an absolute dummy, or I had meandered into the Twilight Zone, or the publisher (or editor) had made a mistake that was mammoth and unforgiveable.

My 10-step journey:

1. Was going along just fine, enjoying this fast-moving thriller. La-dee-da, la-dee-da.

2. Got h
Larry H
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I'm between 3 and 3.5 stars. Maybe 3.25?

"In my marriage, there were three truths, three alternate and sometimes compelling realities. There was Richard's truth. There was my truth. And there was the actual truth, which is always the most elusive to recognize. This could be the case in every relationship that we think we've entered into a union with another person when, in fact, we've formed a triangle with one point anchored by a silent but all-seeing judge, the arbiter of reality."

Vanessa's mar
Maddie
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maddie by: Nazanin

‘I’m not afraid of storms, for I’m learning how to sail my ship.’

- Little Women

Richard;
was thirty-six, nine years older than Nellie when they met, and a successful hedge fund manager, he was caring, charismatic, and accomplished.

As the novel progress you will learn he doesn’t let people in, hides a lot of things, easily agitated!

Nellie;

Nellie fell in love with him almost immediately!

In the beginning of this novel, she was stable, happy, loving and trusting, but as the novel progressed. ->
Linda
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, net-galley
Piercing eyes locked in.......trying to make sense of what has just transpired.

Like the unsettled feeling of reclaiming your own wine glass in a sea of abandoned stemware left willy nilly on a crowded bar. A second's turn of your back and your identity is gone. Claimed by another or still existing in a look-alike world. Here and then gone......

Vanessa Thompson awakens in the tiny guestroom in her Aunt Charlotte's apartment. Her marriage is over and the aftermath is like shattered glass with the
Gabby
Warning: unpopular opinion. I cannot for the life of me understand the high ratings and great reviews this book is getting. The description for this book on goodreads literally says: "Discover the next blockbuster novel of suspense, and get ready for the read of your life." Blockbuster novel of suspense? Did I just read the right book? Is this a joke or...?

This book claims to be a suspense/thriller but it's neither of those things. It's a mystery that is dragged out throughout the entire book, t
Mischenko
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it
This review can be seen @ https://readrantrockandroll.com/2017/...

Vanessa has problems. Now that she’s divorced from Richard, she can’t stand the fact that Richard has moved on. Not only is he his usual thriving self, but now he’s getting married to someone new–someone young and beautiful. It just so happens that this new woman reminds Vanessa of someone she used to be.

What is it about Richard? Was he a perfect husband? Is he truly a knight in shining armor? Was Vanessa a psycho and mentally uns
Carol (Bookaria)
This is an excellent thriller!

The main character is a woman whose wealthy and attractive husband Richard has left her for a younger woman. Since the divorce, she has been living with her aunt and works at Saks.

Then she learns that her ex-husband plans to marry again and this is where the book starts.

Let me tell you, the publisher's description of this book is accurate: "ASSUME NOTHING". Go into it as blind as possible and you won't regret it. The less you know the better your reading experienc
Norma * Traveling Sister
4.5 stars rounded up to 5 stars!

This book was an entertaining read that was extremely enjoyable and hard for me to put down! It is definitely going into my favourite reads shelf! It's chilling, gripping, intense, and filled with so many unexpected twists and turns that will keep you guessing right until that cleverly written surprise ending! Would recommend!

Blog Tour Post and full Traveling Sisters Review can be found on our sister blog:
Carol
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Holy Cow! UN-believable!

To be honest, at first, I thought this novel was just another contemporary version of "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" but NO way. THE WIFE BETWEEN US is exceptionally creative and SO MUCH MORE!

Then....confusion set in (for 2 minutes) BUT I soon found it was all part of the author's elaborate scheme to set up the reader, SO.....if you gave up along the way, you just may want to pick up where you left off because (for me) THE WIFE BETWEEN US is a winner of a debut

Karen
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Many of my Goodreads friends raved about this book. Well, I’m the odd one out. I was enjoying this for awhile, but then confusion set in for a good portion of the book, and I just simply wasn’t enjoying it anymore.

However, thank you to NetGalley and St.Martins Press for the ARC.
Nazanin
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Stars

Such a fantastic read!! I didn’t read anything by each of these authors but the combination of their work was wonderful! I hope they work on other stories with each other! And it’s better if you go into it blind, not even read the blurb!

It’s said in the blurb:

When you read this book, you will make many assumptions.
You will assume you are reading about a jealous ex-wife.
You will assume she is obsessed with her replacement – a beautiful, younger woman who is about to marry the man they bot
Susanne Strong
4.5 Stars* (rounded up).

Chilling and Thrilling! It will make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. Take notice friends. This is the next best seller.

“The Wife Between Us” is compelling and absolutely riveting. This is the story of Vanessa, Richard and Nellie, whom you think you know oh so well, but the truth is, no one is ever who you think they are. And what I will tell you is that this book will have you looking over your shoulder, questioning everything - including yourselves.

I was fre
Mackenzie - Traveling Sister
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Domestic Thrillers
Twisty-turny the whole way through!!!

Well, I am LATE to the party on this one, fellow readers! I feel like the last person on earth to read this book, but it was calling to me from my pile beside my desk and I just had to take a break from review copies. I'm so glad I did! You always wonder if it is possible for the book to live up to the hype, but this one definitely did!! There's a reason it is a best seller.

Vanessa is trying to rebuild her life --her marriage has ended and she is living with
Thriller fans: Maandboek - De vrouw na mij 38 25 Sep 02, 2018 07:40AM
Part 2 7 23 Aug 22, 2018 07:16AM
Greer Hendricks spent over two decades as an editor. Her writing has been published in The New York Times and Publishers Weekly. The Wife Between Us is her first novel.

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Shadow District
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Play Dead (Elise Sandburg Series Book 1)
  • The Weight of Lies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief Taker (The Thief Taker, #1)
  • The Things We Wish Were True
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adversary (A Chris Bruen Novel Book 1)
  • Daisy in Chains
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Jury Master (David Sloane, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Look Behind You (Kendra Michaels, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Last Town (Wayward Pines, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Wayward (Wayward Pines, #2)
  • Pretty Little Things
  • Social Death
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder at the Flamingo (A Van Buren and DeLuca Mystery #1)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Wings Of Fire (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Pretty Dead
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Mother Knows Best (A Margie Peterson Mystery)
  • Damage Control
  • The North Water
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Watchers Of Time (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #5)
  • Bone River
    $3.99 $0.99
  • As The Crow Flies (DI Nick Dixon #1)
  • Jaws
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Widow File (Dani Britton, #1)
  • Blacklands
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Prisoner of Heaven (Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #3)
  • The Romanov Cross
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Krakow
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
  • A Purple Place for Dying: A Travis McGee Novel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Dead Water (Shetland Island, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Pines (Wayward Pines, #1)
  • The Newsmakers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Intrusion (A Chris Bruen Novel)
  • Brighton
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Lowcountry Bonfire (Liz Talbot Mystery #6)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Widow's Watcher
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Livia Lone (Livia Lone, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs, #6)
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Blood Thing
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Baltimore Blues  (Tess Monaghan, #1)
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Aftermath (Inspector Banks, #12)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Girl in the Moss (Angie Pallorino, #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Grace
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Carved in Bone (Body Farm, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Map of Bones (Sigma Force, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Only the Innocent (DCI Tom Douglas #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Dead Aim (Eve Duncan, #4.5)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blazing Summer (Darling Investigations, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Of Power (Paul Madriani, #9)
    $7.74 $1.99
  • The God's Eye View
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Hunt for Atlantis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #1)
  • Abandon
  • The Things you find in Rockpools
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Everyone Pays
    $5.99 $0.99
“I’m not afraid of storms, for I’m learning how to sail my ship.’ Well, I’ve never feared bad weather, either.” 18 likes
“I was happy, I think, but I wonder now if my memory is playing tricks on me. If it is giving me the gift of an illusion. We all layer them over our remembrances; the filters through which we want to see our lives.” 8 likes