Start by marking “Uncommon Ground (Aliens in New York, #1; Memories With the Breakfast Club)” as Want to Read:
Uncommon Ground (Aliens in New York, #1; Memories With the Breakfast Club)

Uncommon Ground

(Aliens in New York #1)

Dillon Lee’s grandfather was a conspiracy theorist. Every summer he’d take Dillon on a tour of New York City while entertaining him with tales of aliens. Fifteen years later, after a phone call from a lawyer, Dillon is carrying his grandfather’s ashes from landmark to landmark, paying a sort of tribute, and trying to figure out what to do with his unexpected legacy. When s ...more
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 147 pages
Published June 22nd 2017 by Kindle Worlds

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
A sense of detachment and melancholy permeates the pages of Uncommon Ground. Lang is just so lonely, and Dillon, not knowing how to mourn the death of his eccentric grandfather, is in a limbo of indecision.

But Lang and Dillon connect on a cellular level. Their combustible chemistry is obvious immediately, even as Lang puts his life on the line to save the urn carrying Dillon's grandfather's ashes.

This is not a spoiler: Lang is an alien, and, yes, there are aliens in New York. This didn't feel
Cadiva
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh I do love me a good Sci-Fi story and that's just what Kelly Jensen has created here.

Aliens in New York sounds like the start of any number of 1950's Saturday matinee show reels but what it actually is, is a lovely little romance with a twist, a melancholic air and a dose of unexpected action.

I loved both Dillon and Lang, their swoony and sexy encounters worked well to contrast between the alien and mystery elements and I loved the way this book also slotted into Felice Stevens' Memories with
Len Evans Jr
This book was just the right mix of science fiction and sexy gay romance. I had not read anything by this author before so did not know what to expect. What I got was an awesome read with really interesting characters, plenty of suspense, action and some realy hot sex. It was definitely not what I was expecting as it is listed as being part of the "Kindle Worlds - Memories from the Breakfast Club" series. Since I knew it was based in the universe created by Felice Stevens I certainly never expec ...more
Ami

These were my thoughts before I finally decided to read this one: I am not a fan of sci-fi romance but I try to read more of this genre as personal challenge (and maybe I can find something really good!). I am not in a camp of aliens on Earth theory but I like Kelly Jensen's books before...

Well, turned out that it was a "meh" read for me. I didn't like the instant attraction, the sex scenes were a little bit too early and too many for my taste (my interest swindled WAY down when they ha
Caz
I've given this an A- at AAR, so that's 4.5 stars rounded up.

Kelly Jensen’s Uncommon Ground is book one in her  Aliens in New York duology, a story that combines mystery, science fiction and a bit of action with a tender and poignant romance between two people who don’t really fit anywhere – until they find each other.

Dillon Lee has always felt like an outsider.  He’s gay, he feels disconnected from his Korean heritage and his unusual looks have always marked him as a bit odd.  He doesn’t let a
Jewel
That was a thoroughly enjoyable story!
Elizabetta

Aliens in NYC! Who knew?

Dillon is back in the big city to tend to his recently deceased grandfather’s estate—but mostly, he wants to say a last goodbye to a beloved family member.

How inventive is it that a cremation urn plays a big part in this story?

As Dillion revisits beloved spots in the city his grandfather called home, we not only get a memoriam and a glimpse into his past, we get a great unfolding mystery adventure in a vibrant setting.

Someone wants that urn, and they’ll do anything to
Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder
MMRG Team Bingo, Round 17, “Team 9 From Outer Space.” Week one: Letter “O” in the title.

Sci-fi/Fantasy/AU for the Reluctant Reader of the Genre!

I’m afraid of “high” fantasy or Sci-fi but this I was able to handle with ease!

I am happy to say I have *finally* read something by this author, though I own some of her “Chaos Station” titles. This book was released in 2017 and is the first installment of the “Aliens in New York” series. The NYC aspect pulled me/reason I bought this as I am from the gre
Lennan Adams
Shelves: mm, sci-fi, my-covers
This book was so great--cute, sexy, interesting. It is romance with a little sci-fi mixed in--anyone m/m romance fan will love it. Kelly Jensen is so great at writing romantic interaction, whether its kissing, sex, or just talking--and she just as good at it when one of the characters is an alien. I adored this book. After you get hooked on her, read the Chaos Station series, which is another amazing Kelly Jensen sci-fi romance.
Jordan
Jul 14, 2017 added it
Shelves: dnf
Nope. DNF @62%. I can't do this.

This was very insta-love and a little weird. I didn't feel the attraction between Dillon and Lang. I didn't like the constant alien conspiracy talk. Quite frankly, carrying around ashes to different landmarks creeps me out. This was just not my cup of tea.

I'm sure there are going to be a lot of readers who love this book. It seems to be getting pretty good reviews already, but it's just not my thing.

Moving on.
Teresa
4.5 stars - this was great! Although they connected really fast, I could see it happening. I loved the characters and they had chemistry. The sex was hot but not frequent. The plot was interesting and kept me guessing. I loved the resolution and how they got there. Delightful read that I couldn't put down :)
Lola
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy from the author and voluntarily reviewed it.

Last year I discovered this author's books and Uncommon Ground has been on my wishlist since then as I liked the sound of it and I am so happy I got the chance to read it now. It's a lighthearted science fiction romance set on earth, it has a romance, a bit of mystery/ suspense and it's a lot of fun. I really enjoyed reading this book.

Uncommon Ground is told from dual point of views from Dillon and Lang's perspective. Dillon trav
Annery
***3.75***
(see review of "What About Lunch", Aliens in N.Y. 1.5, below)

This story exists in Felice Stevens’ Memories Series, which I haven’t read, but as far as I can tell only Josh & Micah, from Memories of the Heart, make a cursory appearance. I had no trouble following.

Dillon Lee, tall, purple haired, and pierced would be artist has come to NYC to honor his grandfather’s ashes but he keeps getting foiled. Security won’t allow him up to the Empire State Building Observatory with the urn,
Michaelene
I love when a book completely surprises me. I wasn’t sure the alien aspect would work for me, but boy, did it ever! Uncommon Ground by Kelly Jensen has some charming characters and just enough of a supernatural element to keep me guessing. And I adore this title!

Sometimes it was nice to be unknown. Meant no one else knew the stuff you hadn’t quite figured out yet.

Dillon is just the cutest little chatterbox! He never felt as if he fit in, so he does his own thing. He likes his purple hair and his
Annie
A Surprise I Loved

I’m not much of a sci-fi romance reader, and at first I wasn’t certain this novella would work for me. However, I was steadily drawn into this story and found the characters very interesting and likable. Uncommon Ground is part of the Kindle Worlds umbrella but the tie-in to the Memories and Breakfast Club series is minimal, so readers need not have read either of those to enjoy this novella.

The set-up to Uncommon Ground was pretty interesting. Dillon instantly caught my attent
Joyfully Jay
Jun 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

I liked both Dillon and Lang and, as the story opened, I was intrigued by Dillon with his purple hair and mission to revisit the places his grandfather had shown him as a child. Dillon is unsure of what his next steps in life are and this is giving him a purpose. Lang catches his attention immediately and when Lang saves Dillon from injury, a bond is formed. However, Dillon has no idea what a billionaire like Lang could possibly see in him.

The chemistry between th
Amy Aislin
I really enjoyed this book from Kelly Jensen. I'd say the story is split 50/50 between the romance and the sci-fi, which was fine by me since I wasn't in the mood for a contemporary.

Both of the main characters were sympathetic, three-dimensional, and flawed. It's sort of insta-lovey, but more insta-connection than anything. I liked both Dillon and Lang and I enjoyed getting to follow their story.

Recommended if you're in the mood for something short and sweet with a hint of sci-fi.
Christi Snow
My Review:
OMG, this book was good. While it's listed as sci-fi...and totally is a sci-fi romance, the entire book takes place in the contemporary world, so it feels like a contemporary romance...with just super-creative details. And I kind of adore it for that. It's seriously the best of both worlds...and keeps the science in the story from bogging down with confusing details.

So...this story...Dillon has just arrived in NYC. His grandfather, who's been missing for the last 15 years has died and
Kelly
Jun 22, 2017 marked it as books-i-wrote  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This book has been a bit of an experiment in a number of ways. First of all, being a part of the first gay Kindle World is amazing. There are so few LGBTQ Kindle World stories available. Hopefully we’ll be changing that!

Second, I hadn’t realised how much I missed writing science fiction until I started putting together this story. I adore my contemporaries, but there’s just something about writing aliens that appeals! Probably because it’s a fun way to look at humanity. 😀 With Uncommon Ground, I
J1B
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's true that Uncommon Ground is kinda insta-love, but if we start throwing out insta-love books, seriously, as romance readers, we'd have about 5 books left. Apart from that, the romance was cute, but toned down (instead of three sizzling peppers, maybe a glass of milk). Where the book really excelled was the sci-fi plot, which, if you've read the Chaos Station books, you know the author is pretty good at. I felt like the book needed to be longer to really better explore the alien narrative, a ...more
Donna
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: love-bytes, m-m
Sci-fi is probably my least favourite genre, and the word “aliens” would usually have me scrolling past on the hunt for a different book. But I’ve read one of Kelly Jensen’s short stories before and she made an impression, so I found myself adding this to my list, admittedly with some trepidation. Verdict? I need more aliens. More Dillon and more Lang would be nice, but ultimately I don’t care who the next book is about as long as there are plenty of aliens included. And as this book is tagged a ...more
Jenn
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love everything Kelly Jensen writes. Her contemporary stories are so real and grounded, and her science-fiction is appropriately creative and thought-provoking. Add those two elements together, and you've got the page-turning goodness of Uncommon Ground!

Dillon is in NYC to do a farewell tour of the sights with the ashes of his grandfather. It's a little weird, but with a lot of sentiment behind it--and that pretty much describes Dillon. He's never quite fit in anywhere, and even though he thou
Jess A Jaye
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Unfortunately this hasn't been my favourite of the Memories with The Breakfast Club series. I have no problem with the alien element. One of my favourite MM series is The Harvest series by MA Church. It was a well written and enjoyable story and I think I liked that the alien element brought something different to the series. However I thought the link to the Breakfast Club series was tenuous. Other than being set in New York and Zach & Sam providing security for Lang there was no connection ...more
Gillian
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reviewed for Just Love

The desire for home – wherever that may be – is the underlying theme of Uncommon Ground, a slightly melancholy but sweet novella about two lonely people who have nothing in common, but who find they are more similar than they could have imagined.

Lang is an alien living in New York. He has been on Earth for 25 years, but has never managed to make any lasting connections, despite his love for all things human – including a never ending fascination with kitchen gadget
Barbara Cerda
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review

Impression

In the fifties folks flocked to theaters to eagerly munch popcorn while enjoying alien movies. During those times, it was covertly lascivious to watch scripts come to life about aliens finding romance or “Lordy” stealing a kiss. Few brave screen-writing souls created stories where men from space stayed with their human female loves. This author takes the concept of alien love to a few light years further and the outcomes, to me, is tantalizing.

The alien in this case is a CEO bill
Elf
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended for readers of M/M romance who enjoy “outsider” themes and alien romance.

Though this novel has a sci-fi premise—aliens on Earth!—one does not have to be a fan of SF to enjoy it. The theme of “outsiders” is far more prominent, with “alien” perhaps intended as a vehicle to explore this trope. Added in is a hint of mystery and a bit of contemplation on the influence of parents, or lack thereof. The romance is sweet, though the physical relationship is consummated fairly quickly (my one
Qin
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
My thoughts combine those of Jordan and Ami in their reviews: the edges of the story are a bit rough, the tech parlance was overkill, the element of insta-lust is too prominent and tones down what would otherwise be a gripping story, while the early, extensive and repeated sex romps give the book a trashy feeling. On my own, I shall add that not a few events are ridiculous (the way the alien thief attempts thrice to steal the funerary urn, using a kind of beam that prevents other people from but ...more
Shandra
Aliens Really Have Invaded New York!

Seriously? That's a surprise to anyone? I feel as if I started reading something immediately after watching the first "Men in Black" movie where K is the total straight-man about how there are OBVIOUSLY aliens everywhere. Duh.

Kelly Jensen has a remarkable talent for creating a singular world with wholly formed characters in a very short span of words. I applaud her talent as a writer because it's genuinely impressive. I loved all the details about the Clan wh
Kate
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you are here for the romance, Kelly Jensen offers an abundance of steamy romance. They see each other from across the coffee shop and sparks fly. Those sparks ignite and keep the rest of the story on fire. Read through to the Epilogue and you will be as satisfied as the characters are with each other.

If you’re here for the science fiction, then we get plenty to love. The world-building done here is the familiar merged with tantalizing glimpses of an alien civilization. We get potentially unfa
Sadie Forsythe
Jun 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-lendable
3.5

This was first and foremost cute, I mean really cute. Lang and Dillon were adorable. It's worth a read just for that. And it is very readable. Kelly Jensen can sling a phrase.

Uncommon Ground is part of the Memories With the Breakfast Club series, which is the first Kindle World about gay men. And, though I've not read any of the other books, twice gay couples showed up that I suspect were characters from other books. So, for those following the series, I imagine that'll be a treat.

For all i
If aliens ever do land on Earth, Kelly will not be prepared, despite having read over a hundred stories of the apocalypse. Still, she will pack her precious books into a box and carry them with her as she strives to survive. It’s what bibliophiles do.

Kelly is the author of ten novels–including the Chaos Station series, co-written with Jenn Burke–and several novellas and short stories. Some of what

Aliens in New York (2 books)
  • Purple Haze (Aliens in New York, #2)