Start by marking “Superhero Syndrome (Solstice Survivors, #1)” as Want to Read:
Superhero Syndrome (Solstice Survivors, #1)

Superhero Syndrome

(Solstice Survivors #1)

Tess McBray was dying. The Solstice Syndrome had no cure, and she resigned herself to an early grave. But just when she gave up on survival, all her symptoms mysteriously disappeared.

All but one symptom, anyway. Something is wrong with Tess’s hands. They absorb any material they touch, and her skin turns to wood, or steel, or concrete. It doesn’t take this comic-book obse
Published September 12th 2017 by Twisted Tree Press

To ask other readers questions about Superhero Syndrome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superhero Syndrome

Hannah
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ARC REVIEW

omg! so glad I got to read this!

Oh My God this book! This book was like reading the pilot episode of an awesome new superhero series. (theme song Unknown Brain - Superhero or Simon Curtis - Superhero) The Solstice Syndrome is a wasting disease, where the body runs hot and the fever burns through the body's water, you basically die of fever and dehydration. Tess is prepared to die, she knows it's soon because for some fucked up reason her case progressed faster than most. On the night
Fani
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“The world had changed. But I didn’t mind. I’d gotten to change right along with it.”

I can’t believe that I finished reading this book in one sitting. I started “Superhero Syndrome” thinking that I would read just a few chapters, but the next time I checked my progress I had almost reached the end. Not once did I feel bored while reading this book.

The plot was interesting and the way the main characters reacted when they found out about their superpowers seemed realistic to me. I liked the f
Els
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Who does not love a superhero??? This book is so much fun to read. It is a very fluent story and I finished it in one day. I could not put it away.
In the beginning I did nor see where it was going but it soon became clear that is was going in the perfect direction. It was like a comic book translated in to a novel but with a lot more depth. I just loved it and I hope we won't have to wait too long before we can start with part 2. I am really looking forward to it. The 5 stars are well deserved.
Neil
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, netgalley
I received a free copy via Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.

This is a really good superhero story which you just will not want to put down.

Mike
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: supers, netgalley
I've complained in the past about superhero novels often being poorly done. This is a welcome exception. It's remarkably non-tropey, especially the characters, who are at the same time familiar and fresh, with some depth to them. Tess, the main character and narrator, is particularly fun; she could easily have been a whiny loser, or a fake "strong woman" who constantly has to be rescued from her bad decisions, but she's neither. She fights her own way out of trouble that her inexperience, or the ...more
Shelleen Toland
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's like the X-Men and the Fantastic Four. There is no cure for the Solstice Syndrome and just when Tess gave up and she knew death was just days away, all of a sudden her symptoms mysteriously disappear.
Then she notices something is wrong with her hands.No matter what she touches her hand turns into that object. Wood, steel, and concrete. Tess is 21 years old and loves comic books and has realized she now has superpowers. All of a sudden people across the country have gifts too. In the city s
Susan
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Superhero Syndrome is the first installment in the Solstice Survivor series. It’s a promising start to this new series. I love this fresh take on superheroes. I’m looking forward to more adventures with Tess & Reed. And meeting more superheroes with different powers!

*ARC provided by NetGalley for an honest review.
Sandra
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review to follow with blog tour. (Hint: it was fantastic!)
Alexandra
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
I received an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review. Review and blog tour can be found on *Milky Way of Books*

This was a hidden gem for me. Inkslinger was asking for more blogs to participate and when I saw that this book had super heroes in it, I jumped in the chance! "Super Hero Syndrome" follows Tess, who is dying from an unique disease. When a meteor shower passes over Earth, she wakes up the next day, healed...and with special powers.

Crime fighting, a mysterious vigilante and action ensure
Errin Krystal
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Minor Spoiler Warning

I loved this book! I read 75% of it on the first day! I would have finished it except for that whole real life bit getting in the way. But, yes, loved it! I was never not going to love a book about superheroes!

The story opens with Tess in hospital, dying of a rare and incurable disease that has struck down members of the population. She does not want to die alone in her hospital bed, but on her own terms,
Rochelle Jones
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: honest-reviews
I really enjoyed this book!

I loved that Tess is a comic book lover and that she just so happens to survive a terminal illness that results in the ability for her to become her own superhero. It’s ironically, poetic and kinda perfect.

For the most part I loved everything going on in this book. Larrinaga has great plot line development in this story, and her characters have an okay amount of depth to them. What I want to see more of, though, is the details of this world; I want to feel as though my
Keira
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I received a review copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. This in no way impacted by thoughts on this book.

Let me start off by saying that my intuition is very accurate (as proved by this book). I was super looking forward to it and was pretty sure I would like it… and I did! I mean, sure, you could blame the placebo effect, but I actually wrote proper reasons down, so there. I gave it three stars, but it was really close to four stars and actually was before the en
Tracy Heath
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, which I received from the author in exchange for an honest review. It had a strong, independent female character. She was interested in romance, but not consumed by it. She thought for herself, took care of herself, and lived on her own terms. I find that kind of female character lacking in so many books these days, so it was refreshing to meet Tess, the main character of this book/series.

I enjoyed the relationship between Tess and her sister. It was realistic in
Marsha
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First and foremost let me say that I am not a big comic book fan; yet, the summary for "Superhero Syndrome" caught my attention and I found myself truly immersed into a truly creative story line with interesting characters world building.

Cartoonist and comic book lover, Tess McBray was dying. She like so many suffered from the Solstice Syndrome. So, what does she do? She checks herself out of the hospital against the medical staff's advice and drives over to a local park to stargaze as she dies.
O.J. Lowe
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Given I love this sort of genre, it's hard not to compare it immediately to some of the other previous work I've read, to see how it stands when put up against some of its peers amongst superhero fiction. And the good news is, this measures up well. Before you can measure how she stands up against other protagonists, you need to look at Tess herself. Very believable character with a lot of relatable problems, winds up in a bad situation where she's ready to die and ultimately comes out of it str ...more
L. S.
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
To summarize this novel in a few words: a romanticized Kick-Ass with an actual superpowered origin story.

Tess finds herself with a new lease on life when her debilitating and mysterious illness is cured. She gets involved with the vigilante subculture of her hometown. Costumed vigilante, at that. Oh—costumed vigilante with superpowers.

This was a novel that captured the origin story formula perfectly. The sequence of events leading to the birth of her superpowers, the reveal of the bad guy—it was
Meg
Dec 03, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was well written, interesting and fun! Who wouldn’t love to wake up to superpowers?! The real question is would you use those gifts for good or evil?

In the beginning of this novel, Tess is a twenty-one year old on her deathbed with a virus called Solstice Syndrome that came out of no where and has no known cure. She has accepted her fate until a never before seen meteor shower sweeps across the Earth and she is miraculously cured! In fact, everyone with the virus is cured. Tess then,
Asma
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Superhero syndrome is the first book of Solstice survivor series by Caryn Larrinaga. I’ve just finished reading this turn-page novel and I’ve loved it.
The story is about Tess a dying girl who will miraculously recover from an incurable illness known as the solstice syndrome. She will develop superpowers in the process and begin a series of adventures. Although the the author has announced several facts and events in the book description, the story remains suspenseful. In fact her writing style f
Maria Vickers
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't even know where to begin with this review. This book was amazing and worth all 5 stars. The plot was interesting, intriguing, and different from other books like this. On top of a great story, were the characters that fueled it. I couldn't put it down and I highly recommend you one click this book today.

Tess was ready to die. The Solstice Syndrome had no cure and hers was progressing at an alarming rate, but something happened, she didn't die. In fact, she wound up having special powers
Henry Lazarus
Nov 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Tess McBray was dying of Solstice Syndrome when a meteor strike not only cures her but gives her Superhero Syndrome (paper from Twisted Tree Press) . In her case it’s the ability to turn flesh into something she touches (like metal). Caryn Larrinaga tells a fun tale of a young millennial returning to her home town Weyland. Someone is abducting young women, including her pregnant sister and other friends and only she and another affected potential super-hero, The Fox, can stop them. This is a gig ...more
Becky
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
Mysterious illness followed by superhero powers? What's not to like!

21 year old Tess is about to die. But then she wasn't. The only remnants of her mysterious illness was her strange ability to absorb material into her hands, becoming that material. She moves back home to be near her sister and begins a strange fascination with a vigilante named Fox.

Before long, Tess is caught up in a mystery of missing girls and crime. Can she figure out her new powers in time to help?

This book skillfully wea
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book with a wonderful story and well developed characters. The story flowed very well and was very enjoyable. This book will keep you reading long into the night and you will not want to put this book down until you finish. This was such a great read and full of surprises. I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader’s copy of this book. The free book held no determination on my personal review.
Laurie Beemer
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is so fascinating. This is the first book that I have read by Caryn Larrinaga and I enjoyed it. I have never read a book where superheroes are part of the plot and plays into a much bigger picture. When Tess meets Reed what follows next is pretty awesome. I hope there are more books that belong on this series. I look forward to reading more by this author. Thank you Reading Alley and Caryn Larrinaga for allowing me to read this book and write a honest review.
Djcolgan
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just right

Nice to read a beginning story that provides a logical framework. The world description is clean and concise without being laborious. The heroes work and the villains are just nasty. Good job.
Eternal Book High (Dariana Glez Morales)
This book was given to me by the author through Readers House in exchange for an honest review.

Superhero Syndrome is a good book. I really liked it. Especially making the part of having super powers seem so normal. Make it seem like it could actually happen to someone. Though I would have liked a bit more of romance. On that note, I just wanted to let everyone who is thinking of reading it to give it a chance.
D. Messing
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a very good read! It was vastly different from anything else I've ever read before, and very, very entertaining. It's a very solid read, well fleshed out, I feel bad it took me so long to read this out of my TBR list! Very well done and thank you for the opportunity to review this work!
Graham Bradley
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good stuff, a nice addition to the growing genre of superhero novels. It had the occasional predictable turn here and there but it was balanced well with surprises. I'll do a podcast episode about it.
Lisa Elizabeth
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This started off a bit slow for me but it built into a dynamic and fun story. Really enjoyable!
Krystal
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book! It was nice, light escapist fiction that I could turn to whenever the news got too stressful. I particularly enjoyed the friendship between Tess and Angie - I don't know if Angie will be in future stories much, since she doesn't have superpowers, but she was my favorite. :)

Entertaining start to the series, with so many possibilities for future storylines. I look forward to finding out more about these heroes.
Karibbean Kollective
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pretty awesome summer read. I read it in one sitting and thoroughly enjoyed it. Would recommended it to my book club once for my friends to read too.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover and remove placeholder 3 15 Aug 05, 2017 10:10PM

• The Book of Peril (The Last Oracle #2)
  • They Promised Me the Gun Wasn't Loaded
  • Steam and Sensibility (Sensibility Grey #1)
  • The Librarians and the Pot of Gold (The Librarians, #3)
  • Pendulum Heroes (Pendulum Heroes #1)
  • Insistence of Vision
  • Time Travel: Recent Trips
  • Arabella The Traitor of Mars (Adventures of Arabella Ashby, #3)
  • The House of Mountfathom
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy, 2014
  • Brave New Girls: Tales of Girls and Gadgets  (Brave New Girls, #1)
  • Ithaka Rising (Halcyone Space, #2)
  • The Dragon Chronicles (The Future Chronicles)
  • Gears of Brass Anthology
  • Flotsam (Peridot Shift #1)
  • The Very Best of Fantasy & Science Fiction, Volume 2
  • Castle of Lies
  • Sidekick (Sidekick in the City, #1)
Caryn Larrinaga is an award-winning mystery, horror, and urban fantasy writer. Her debut novel, DONN'S HILL, was awarded the League of Utah Writers 2017 Silver Quill in the adult novel category and was a 2017 Dragon Award finalist.

Watching scary movies through split fingers terrified Caryn as a child, and those nightmares inspire her to write now. Her 90-year-old house has a colorful history, an