Start by marking “Black Dawn (The Eurynome Code, #1)” as Want to Read:
Black Dawn (The Eurynome Code, #1)

Black Dawn

(The Eurynome Code #1)

Humanity is under attack and she is the only one who can stop it.

For Karin Makos, the chance to pilot a small-time scrounging vessel to remote corners of space is the dream. After years on the run with her sister and enduring the constant paranoia of living planetside, going off-radar gives her exactly what she wants: freedom.

But, after what seems like a routine mission, t
Published September 1st 2017

To ask other readers questions about Black Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Dawn

Andrea
3.5

Okay think...Invasion of the Body Snatchers- in space!

Except these body snatchers are much more dangerous in their original form. They can appear out of no where, even if you're on an isolated ship. They are basically human like shadows that are super strong, and try to get into your body to take it over. Afterwards you end up being a mindless drone with black eyes.
Scary? Heck yeah.

description

However, we have out h-Karin who might be the only person on any planet that has the means to stop them. With h
Tani
I get a bunch of emails about free and cheap fantasy and scifi books, not because I'm hard up for anything to read, but just because I'm a bit obsessive. Most of the time, I just skim over the titles, glance at the cover art, and maybe read a summary to see if I'm interested. 90% of the time, I pass, especially if it's a title or author that I've never heard of. However, something about Black Dawn caught my attention. After checking out the reviews on Goodreads, I thought that I would give it a ...more
Kanyon
What a thrilling book! It took a couple chapters for me to get into the book and I’m really glad I stuck with it. Once the action started I was hooked. I have to admit though, the first half of that book creeped me out a bit. Best to not read this at nighttime! The rest of the book breezed by and the descriptions and world/character building were very well done. This book played out like a movie in my mind. If you like sci-fi thrillers you should definitely add this book to your to-read list.

Bla
The Mysterious Reader
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
K. Gorman’s Black Dawn, the first book in her The Eurynome Code, is a wild ride. It’s just the mix of Firefly, Stargate and Battlestar Galactica promised in the publisher’s blurb. Set in a well-built universe of starships and genetic engineering this is an intricate novel full of conspiracy adventure, dealing with a devastating and unstoppable attack on humanity and so much more. Karin Makos, the lead here, is a complicated and well-constructed character and the supporting cast provides just wha ...more
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This book was an interesting first read to start this series. Not a tonne of character information or background was revealed but enough to keep things interesting and to allow a slow progression of development and interaction that feels real and keeps the human part of the story intriguing. There was enough action to keep the pace moving along. I'm hoping we get to find out more about the shadows and especially the background of the main character as the series progresses. I also like how the c ...more
Lorraine
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it

Black Dawn is the first book in the The Eurynome Code series. The story is about Navigator Karin Makos, who is on the run and hiding from governments and the scientific lab where she and her sister had been abducted to when children. She joins a small scrounging vessel as crew to help her stay out of sight from everyone. After they are heading back into space after a collection job, they are boarded and attempts to take them over by Shadow beings are held off.
The crew learns that these Shadow be
Stella
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The first book in the series, Black Dawn features Karin Makos, a strong, determined heroine and her friends, Ethan, Marc and Soo Jin. What is interesting is that these characters develop as the story unfolds.
A little slow to begin with - but not for long - once the action started it did not abate at any time.
Fast paced, humorous at times, fun to read, the tale has a unique plot with different depths to the story.
Well written with a good writing style and interesting detailed descriptions to even
Jane
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really wanted to give this book a 5 out of 5 stars most of the way through. It's got great action, nasty villains, a half dozen mysteries to be solved, a heroine I really liked and it's going to be the anchor book of a great series BUT it's only book one, and when all is said and done, it doesn't give the reader very much. You end up with more more questions than answers. I'm sure they'll all be answered before the end of the series, hopefully many of them by the next book. I certainly liked i ...more
Peter Bruyns
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good Reading

This is book one. There are a few more in this series. I started on book four by mistake, got to 24% and realised it wasn't going to explain itself. And that there was more. I'm not sorry I went back and got as many as I could, all three, actually. They have been a blast. From that perspective, 24% into book four, I can tell you, the future reader that it's worth it. In our future we will meet many enemies. Unlike ticks, not all just fall off. Some go inside, and stay there, growing
Jonella Moore
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just loved reading this book! It has everything a great space opera should have- drama, intrigue, angst and characters that are easy to empathize with. The author has a good grasp of building a world and situations that the reader can visualize. This book reminded me of some of the better Sci-fi TV programs that I've lived in the past! The heroine is a strong, brave and determined character that I really liked. I can't wait to read more by this author. I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this boo ...more
Megan
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fast paced space mystery!

As a lover of Firefly and the ship Serenity I can see the similarities in this book to some of that. However besides the crews moral compass & an ex-military captain the similarities in the story end there. The story is fast paced and draws you in very quickly to the mystery of the Shadows. An enjoyable read for any sci-fi reader and very little language makes it suitable for most age readers.
Amba Jane
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Slow to start out as you get familiar with the characters and their lives, but as the story continues you start to feel for it. I do wish the characters would be described more. It's hard to get a clear picture, overall I liked the book just barely enough to start reading the second one, though I have to say that I keep putting it down.
Charla Graham
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this. Great (and different) storyline and the characters were well thought out. Would have been nice to have more description on them.
I did find it a little wordy and found myself skipping large parts of text throughout the novel, but overallit was a great read and I've gone on to read all 4 of the series' books.
Michael Appel
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Creepy and thrilling

Building up the creepy feelings while the mundane tasks are handled under realistic conditions in the naked dangers of outer space keep you interested. The growing feelings of the characters as they learn of themselves makes you want to continue reading. Added attachments change and enhance the dynamic.
Fernando Correia
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Exciting and well written

This is a page turner. The premise is innovative, the story is well paced, and carefully crafted. The theme of light versus shadow is very metaphorical without being overdone. Character development is great. I can't wait to find out what happens on the next book.
Elrik
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Ok read. For my taste at this point leaning too much towards fantasy, I hope there will be a more "sciency" take ot the story in part two. Characters feel a little ..."shallow", and the space science is pretty much neglected - which is not necessarily a bad thing. Will definitely go for part two!
Michelle
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
Well, I certainly got interested, but then it stopped in what I think should not have been the end . . .? I will try to get the second book later, but this one disappointed me with the stopping place and I hope the next one does not.
Derek Williams
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't always read sci-fi but I am glad I read Black Dawn. A gripping tale that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Great start to this series. Highly suggest you read this book.

I received a free copy of the book but my review is completely voluntary.
Jill
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.25 good tension and early world building

Like your space opera with a mystery or two and with fairly low violence? If so this series is for you!
Volpot
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it
3 stars. OK. Might read sequel in hopes things improve
Dale (Aus)
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great story concept

Enjoyed the story hete. Not buried in technology but relies on the plot to carry the story forward. Will read more
M
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it
The writing was fine, but there was an over-reliance on the word jaw (which showed up 46 times).
John Parchman
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very fun read

Really enjoyed this book. Lots of fast paced action and snarky humor. Enjoyed it so much I bought the rest of the series.
Kathy
Dec 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Young adult sci-fi-two sisters with genetic modifications and enhanced powers. Entertaining.
Three books in series probably should have been one book
Chris Stoesen
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good read

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It did not go in the direction I thought it would. It was a fun read and I will read the rest of the series.
Aviar Savijon
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
High Action, Fast paced and a wonderful read. I loved it!!! Outstanding writing talent in author Kelly Gorman!
Noodle TheNaughtyNightOwl
7/10: Good solid read, something to get your teeth into.
Frank Kelso
Oct 01, 2017
Michael Bush
Aug 26, 2018
Melissa Bohannon
Jul 09, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Pipe Dreams
  • Rose Point (Her Instruments, #2)
  • Chimera (Universe Eventual, #1)
  • Regeneration (Species Imperative, #3)
  • Enemy of Man (The Chronicles of Kin Roland #1)
  • Valence (Confluence, #4)
  • The Halo Revelations
  • House of Stone (Tsura, #2)
  • Irradiance (The Dream Guild Chronicles, #1)
  • Maker Space (Rachel Peng, #2)
  • Pandora's Genes (The Pandora's Trilogy) (Volume 1)
  • Cinderella Treasure Trove
  • Dremiks
  • In Distress (In Distress, #1)
  • Dark Minds (Class 5, #3)
  • Shadow Swarm
  • reV (The Machine Dynasty, #3)
  • Double Down (Justice of the Covenant, #2)
Broadcasting from the west coast of Taiwan, K. Gorman loves to read fantasy and sci-fi (in that order), marathon TV shows (Hannibal, Constantine, and Buffy, currently), and scheme about what shenanigans her characters will get up to in the next novel.

She also loves riding horses, good music, and long, whimsical, unguided walks with her camera.

The Eurynome Code (4 books)
  • Renegades (The Eurynome Code, #2)
  • Blood Ties (The Eurynome Code, #3)
  • World Shift (The Eurynome Code, #4)