Start by marking “Rebel (415 Ink, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rebel (415 Ink, #1)

Rebel

(415 Ink #1)

The hardest thing a rebel can do isn’t standing up for something — it’s standing up for himself.

Life takes delight in stabbing Gus Scott in the back when he least expects it. After years of running from his past, present and the dismal future every social worker predicted for him, Karma delivers the one thing Gus could never—would never—turn his back on; a son from a one-n
Published December 29th 2017 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Rebel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rebel

Start your review of Rebel (415 Ink, #1)
Jewel
4.5 Stars

"Because loving someone doesn’t mean needing them to be what you want them to be or swaddling them in bubble wrap so they can’t move. It means them knowing, deep down inside of their heart, you’re going to be there to hold them when they fall and celebrate when they fly."

​Second chance stories and broken MC's are my jam.​​ And let me tell ya, Rhys Ford knows how to write both​ --​ I was in reader heaven the whole time I was reading Rebel.

While the romance didn't seem to be
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Not for me*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

I didn't like this one. I didn't like the story, I didn't like the characters and I didn't like the writing. The book centers around tattoo artist August ‘Gus’ ‘Goose’ Scott (29) and firefighter Rey Montenegro (32?). Along with Gus' brothers, Barrett ‘Bear’ Jackson, Mason ‘Mace’, Luke Muñoz and Ivo Scott. Gus comes home after being on the road for 6 month; he found out he have a son, Chris (soon 3). Coming home also means seeing the man who broke his heart, Rey. Can
SheReadsALot
Tag Team Review with Lost in a Book!

FOUR HEARTS
--This review is from a person who hasn't read many Rhys Ford romances.

*whispers* This is actually my second Rhys Ford book. *gasp* Don't tell anyone, okay?

Rhys Ford's back list is mystery heavy and that ain't my gig. Rebel's premise however, contemporary romance that stars ex-lovers who try to connect once again while dealing with baggage? My gig, wholeheartedly.

Rebel is told from dual POV but it's mainly tattoo artist's Gus Scott's story. Gus is
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
4.5 Stars!

I wasn't sure what to expect with this one. I found it to be a bit of a cross between a Garrett Leigh and a Satino Hassell read.

The whole book was sort of heavy and angsty like a Garrett or Santino read. This one definitely wasn't a fluffy romance. And the two main characters, one especially, really took a lot of hits in life much like the characters in Santino's Five Boroughs series.

I thought the writing was good and engaging. And I loved all of the secondary characters, even though
Wendy
5 ways Reviews Improve your Business

This is a "second chance" story, in every sense of the word, and I myself am a huge fan of second chances ;)

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor second chances gif

Gus and Rey used to be a couple 3 years ago.....until miscommunication causes them to break up.  This in turn causes Gus to go out and get drunk off his ass, and changing his future forever. He doesn't know about this big change until 2,5 years later though....when he is told about his son Chris.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor shock gif

Gus wants a chance to be a father to his son, so he goes home, after being away for some time..
Lost in a Book
Tag Team Review with SRAL!

4.5 Stars

My oh My this was an angsty read.

hug.gif

On face value it has many of my favorite elements. Rough upbringing? Check. Tattoos? Mmmhmm, Yep. Tortured and broody MC(s)? Oh yes. Then, when I actually started reading it, so many more of my hot spots were being hit. Slow burn, patch-work family, overcoming crippling obstacles, etc… All were a big yes, please. Hell, I was even all about the second chance aspects of this romance when it isn’t something I actively seek.

Three y
Ky
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved it!! 5 wonky nautical stars!

Second chance romance and slow burn!

The first two or three chapters were a bit difficult because there are a lot of characters being introduced, also, they were kind of setting the stage for the story. Don't get me wrong, they were very interesting and I consumed them like I did the rest of the book. It's just that they were a bit confusing because I didn't know the characters or their past and they kept talking in half sentences.

Of course, as the book progres
ReadingAllNite
I can’t believe this opening story in a new series from Rhys Ford; there isn’t a murder in sight! It is a touching, second chance, hurt/comfort romance, with a slow rekindling of love. Family is front and center, loving, bossy, irritating, never afraid to speak uncomfortable truths, even as they offer unquestioning support. Gus’s past is one of the worst and it’s influenced him in a lot of negative ways, but with a son coming into his life, he has to stand and face it at last. He and Rey were to ...more
Adam

As always, Tristan James delivered an excellent narration. He just has a way of sucking readers (listeners?) into the story. I had no trouble at all visualizing the various characters and the story. This narrator knows how to bring a book to life!

In ‘Rebel’, we’re introduced to two flawed men - Gus and Rey. Life hasn’t been kind to either man, and the two haven’t made the smartest decisions over the years. But despite their past, there’s no denying that Rey and Gus are connected at the
.Lili.
Nov 21, 2017 added it
Shelves: m-m, dnf
I'm quitting. It's taken me four days to get to 30%. I've had to push myself to keep going. Reading shouldn't feel like a chore.

The writing isn't flowing for me, the pace feels off, and I'm bored.

No rating.
haletostilinski
Overall this book was really enjoyable. It has the excellent writing style of Rhys Ford that I have come to really enjoy in the books I have read by this author so far.

Gus and Rey's connection was almost instant, from the moment they saw each other again and interacted - and even before that, in their memories of each other, in the way they reacted to other characters mentioning the other, it felt almost like a zing, their reactions and feelings to each other were so well written. When they wer
Trio
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rebel is the first book in Rhys Ford’s new series 451 Ink. Centered around a group of men who’ve worked to make a safe place for their extended family, the novels will tell their stories. Coming from broken homes, these guys have all been through horrific events, which results in some intense relationships and a dynamic that promises to never be dull. Knowing the writing of Rhys Ford, I think it’s safe to say that future books in this series will be as heart-wrenching and compelling as Rebel.

The
BWT (Belen)
Get ready to have your heart broken and pieced back together.
“I’m sorry I wasn’t what you wanted me to be, but you know what? You weren’t what I needed either, even if you were all I wanted.”

Three years ago Gus was shattered after a devastating break-up with Rey. It was just one more time that he was disappointed by someone who should have been there for him. Six months ago Gus got on his bike and got out of town, but now he's coming home after finding out he's a father.

Rey has never been a
Karen
4.5 shining stars rounded up to 5 because still no 1/2 stars here on GR and Rhys Ford + Tristan James = shiny fun for me.

Nothing new here...I loved the book and loved the audio...

Honestly I'm not really sure what to say here. I loved this book and will honestly admit for me it was pretty much a given that I would...Rhys Ford writes in a way that just calls to me heart and soul. I love the characters that she give us each and every time. From Cole McGinnis to this latest addition of 415 Ink.
Annika
Audiobook review

3,5 stars

Quote…I love you, you know. I'm sorry I took so long to see it... too long to understand what it was you meant to me... but I'm glad you're here. With me. In this bed. And I want to fall asleep, but if I do, I won't see you again until I wake up, and that's too fucking long to wait.

Excuse me while swoon a bit.

Gus has been in love with his brothers best friend Rey for years and getting dumped by said man broke him into pieces. A drunken night gives him a son he didn't kno
Daphne
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-read, 2017-books
Angst upon words upon angst and more flowery words. And a whole lot of food description.

The first book in a series has a tough job to fill - lots of people and back stories to be established. In this world of tortured soul tattoo artists who’ve formed a family based on shared early childhood trauma, the task was larger than most. As a result, the book felt dense in parts. Add in the author’s writing style of full descriptions of everything (particularly food) and it felt like a bit of a slog to
BWT (Belen)

Get ready to have your heart broken and pieced back together.

There were two things I absolutely loved about this audiobook - Tristan James's narration and the cameo of narrator Greg Tremblay to voice an established character from Rhys Ford's Cole McGinnis series.

Gus Scott hasn't had it easy. In fact, in the grand scheme, once could argue he's never had anything easy. He's had his heart broken by almost everyone, including firefighter Rey Montenegro. Three years ago Gus was shattered after a deva
Joyfully Jay
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
Updated for audiobook review:
Read Veronica’s review in its entirety here.

A Joyfully Jay review.

Rebel is the first book in Rhys Ford’s 415 Ink series and it’s off to a great start. Most of Ford’s work is in suspense and urban fantasy, so I was really curious how this straight contemporary story would go, but Ford infuses it with her trademark intensity and emotion that makes the story really shine. The series focuses on five brothers, some of whom are blood relatives and others who are
Caz
I've given this a C+ for narration and a C for content at AudioGals.

I’ve listened to a number of Rhys Ford’s novels recently, and I’ve enjoyed Tristan James’ work in other books of hers, so I was pleased to pick up Rebel, the first book in her 415: Ink series, for review. Ms. Ford is a prolific author who writes in a variety of genres – fantasy, paranormal, romantic suspense, for instance – so Rebel, which is more of an ensemble family drama, is a bit of a departure from the other stories of
Victoria
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh My God. I survived chapter 15. I need a medal. Okay tissues and wine may do but this book has made me do what i havent done in forever (No - not become an alcoholic) but as soon as i finished listening on audible i started again from the beginning.
So
Damn
Good.
Steven
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nobody gives us wounded, scarred, incredibly smart, tattooed hellions quite like Rhys Ford.

The start of a new series, 415 Ink: Rebel is Rhys Ford doing what she does best: damaged, scarred (both emotionally and physically), incredibly smart men fighting for various kinds of love as if their lives depend on it. And it usually does, at least in the psychological sense.

An absolutely brilliant study in contrasts - light & dark, pain & pleasure, lost & found - and it goes on.

This installment begin
JR
Another Winner

The past is particularly painful for Gus, when Rey, the man he loves tells him that he doesn't see the relationship working. Gus leaves his home, his brothers, trying to bury the hurt. He's back now, with a bombshell for the family.

Ms Ford does lost boys better than most authors. She also has a grasp of cultures, like tattooing that are foreign to most people, and the value of family under the most dire of circumstances. Another excellent foray into life and love.
Michaelene
This book didn’t work for me.

Rebel is book one in Rhys Ford’s 415 Ink series. I'll admit that I picked up this book because that cover is absolutely gorgeous. I also like second-chance love stories, although this one didn't keep my interest.

Rey was saved in a fire years ago, and it’s how he gets a second family. But he falls for one of the brothers, in particular. Gus. But after a falling out, the last thing Rey and Gus expect when they meet again is trying to start anew.

I love stories where har
Francesca
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
aw romance!
I have been blessed with reading some outstanding books this year and I wanted to read something to tie me over before I start my end of year buddy read with Karen.
I had forgotten I had ordered this and was glad when it showed on my kindle.
Second chance romance is a good trope and I find Ford's writing entertaining.
The two romantic leads were good together but what I really enjoyed the most was the family ties between Bear, Mace, Gus, Lucas and Ivo and I really wanted to know more a
Karen
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 rebellious stars rounded down because still no 1/2 stars here on GR.

It seems I've become a sucker for men with tats...

'415 Ink.' is the newest series by Rhys Ford and you can be damned sure that I was going to read this. Unfortunately lifes been handing out sucker punches for me lately so it took me a little longer than intended to get to this one...so, my apologies to the author for that. But I'm here now and damn am I glad I finally made it to this party.

Gus Scott has been on the road
Meep
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5*
Feel mean low rating this, it's Rhys Ford who I love. The book has some of the feel of her Sinner's series, which I love. The same story structure and a bunch of hurt heroes banding together. It made me want to re-read Sinners yet again for some Donal magic. But, sadly it didn't work for me. The writing is a mix of short punchy sentences and the purplish angst Ford does so well - there are some great lines hidden in there, though I'm afraid the impact was lost to frustration.

From the start
JenMcJ
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
I like that Rhys is back to damaged but struggling to mend characters. I prefer these to her fluff pieces in between. This was the kind of book that you sink into and really feel the broken heart and damaged soul of the characters. I am going to add that Rhys Ford really, really loves fire. It's common enough in her books to be a bit formulaic at this point.

Some small spoilers (but really, this info is telegraphed really early on in the book)

(view spoiler)
Valerie ❈M/M Romance Junkie❈
*peeking from my box of shame* sigh... this didn't work for me. I think I enjoyed the secondary characters more than the main couple. The couple just didn't hold my attention. Quite frankly, I'm not sure I would have finished had I not been listening to the audio while doing other things. This was more like an introduction to the series than an actual romance. I'll read the next in the series because it's Rhys.
Rafa Brewster
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm excited about this promising new series.
Review to come closer to release on https://justlovereviews.com/
ARC received from publisher in exchange for fair and honest review.
Myriam
Aug 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019, m-m
I really liked this! One of the more successful iterations of an author introducing a bunch of men who are connected to each other and all happen to be queer. They're connected through actually believable trauma and I liked how their history played an important part in the current plot.

Really looking forward to the next one!

• Kairos
  • Twisted and Tied (Marshals, #4)
  • Southernmost Murder
  • Love in Spades (Four Kings Security, #1)
  • Regret Me Not
  • First Impressions (Auckland Med. #1)
  • Finders Keepers
  • A Few Good Fish (Fish Out of Water, #3)
  • Dantès Unglued (Ward Security, #2)
  • Deal Maker (Mixed Messages, #2)
  • Dream (Skins, #1)
  • Two Man Station (Emergency Services, #1)
  • Color of You (A Lancaster Story, #3)
  • Bobby Green (Johnnies, #5)
  • On Davis Row
  • Tallowwood (Tallowwood, #1)
  • More Than Life
  • Love and Payne (THIRDS Universe, #1)
Rhys Ford is an award-winning author with several long-running LGBT+ mystery, thriller, paranormal, and urban fantasy series and was a 2016 LAMBDA finalist with her novel, Murder and Mayhem. She is published by Dreamspinner Press and DSP Publications.

She’s also quite skeptical about bios without a dash of something personal and really, who doesn’t mention their cats, dog and cars in a bio? She sha

415 Ink (3 books)