Start by marking “The Last Hero (The Last War, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Last Hero (The Last War, #2)

The Last Hero

(The Last War #2)

Earth is reeling. American alliances are shaking. And humanity's enemies rally.

For six months after the failed alien attack American Admiral Jack Mattis has been ordered to patrol the periphery to stop more alien incursions.

Even though he knows the attackers weren't alien, but grotesque mutated super-humans from the future. A truth world governments publicly deny.

And
Published June 20th 2017 by Hyperspace Press

To ask other readers questions about The Last Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Hero

Jim
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Once again I’m back aboard my old ship, the USS Midway! Only this time, it’s a starship! Would have been really cool if that were the case, but back in 1970, the USS Midway was barely an aircraft carrier considering today’s modern standards. Anyway, this book is again about the USS Midway, an American starship that is commanded by Admiral Jack Mattis, a war hero of the recently concluded American-Chinese War. Both sides were trying to patch up their relationship and start an era of peace when th ...more
Todd Gutschow
Nov 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Glenn W. Russell
Jul 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
Too weird

This is hardly worth the time to review. It became so strange about halfway through that I looked at the epilog, and the finish of the story was an obvious excuse to write more drivel for the unwary reader to purchase. Buy it if you like stuff ten times weirder than the Twilight Zone sci fi TV show. I did not find this very entertaining, but a waste of time.
Andrew Baxtrom
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Pick a genre!

Not bad. First book was better. Too much flippant humor in this book. Either write Space Opera or write Comedy. Pick one. And stop taking shots at Canada.
Jason
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This follows on straight from the first book, in which a grumpy old Admiral, Jack Mattis, a veteran of the American/Chinese war, takes control of his old warship when they are attacked by a mysterious force that destroys a space station that he was there to commemorate. This is much to the disgust of a Senator called Pitt, whose son serves on the same ship.
They initially think that the ships attacking them are ‘aliens’, but other things soon come to light.
There are several more battles with thi
Robert
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Robert's Review

This was quite an interesting little series. I was not sure if I would like this series when I read the tag line for the first book. The characters kind of grow on you as the book progressed, especially Commanders Modi and Lynch.🤣 Admiral Mattis was a stable commander and Senator Pitt was an awesome villain, I did not like him from the start. GoodRead, I look forward to book 3.
IAN MURRAY
Oct 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
It was boaring

Took to long to get to the action. Almost no action in the book until the end. Some of the characters like the son accomplished nothing even although there were whole chapters dedicated to them. The author is not on my following list.
David Gau
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked this! It's science fiction and space battles, and it's not bad at all.
Jesse
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I like the humor relief of the XO and Modi. I like this better than the first book and hope it gets better with the third.
Hans P Melius
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great read for this series.

Wonderful character interaction and pacing make this book a joy to read. Modi and Lynch are my favorite duo in this series.
Harry L Skinner
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great

Saga continues to develop. Characters are fleshing out. Twists and turns throughout the story with a real surprise at the end. Looking forward to part 3.
Mick Bird
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
A slow burner, but hang on in there it gets better.
Rob Enderle
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a fun series, the only problem I have with it is the lead character is an old experienced admiral and he acts more like someone in their 20s and not in a good way and there are a lot of senior military officers who don't seem to have the maturity their rank would suggest. I'm not saying that doesn't happen but it would seem to me they'd be drummed out of the service pretty quickly for the behavior. Otherwise I've enjoyed this series so far, good plot, good intrigue, and the books pull me ...more
Edgar Guedez
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book 2 of he Last War

This ts the second of five books. The problem with the plot is that the author overlooks detail or simply, doesn't care. For instance, in a sequrence, two pilots dressed in sealed space suits make a wagger and, the losser pulls out a wrinkled paper bill (out of where???) to pay the bet to the winner!! And there are several examples of that thru the book. There's no aliens in this soup opera, it's mankind fighting againg each other in deep space. You'll find some answeers to
Cameron
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Disappointed....

Well I cant say I enjoyed this that much. Where the first in the series was action packed with space battles, this was sadly lacking in that respect and was more filled with an attempt at political intrigue etc. It didnt keep my attention like the first and I had to come back to it time and time again just to finish it. Even then I found myself scanning and skipping. I will probably get the next one just to see if it gets back on track but....
Mary Whitehead
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Exciting series!

This is the second book in the Last War series and is, if possible, even better than the first book. Each book leaves you anxious to read the next one. If you haven't read any of these books and you like good science fiction, I strongly recommend the Last War series
saintlouis
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fabulous follow-up to the first book…

More danger. More mayhem. More intrigue. And just a little romance. Nothing beats great space opera. This is hard military science fiction, with believable characters and solid storylines. I can't wait to read book III.
Frank
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Last Hero: Book 2 continues from the end of the previous volume, adding a few new characters. The story its essential the same, but the story provides more insight into the invading force. Are they aliens or future-humans? Beleaguered Admiral Mattis must patrol the edges of the American and Chinese space territories looking for the aliens, as designated by the American government, while knowing that they are genetically human. Mattis is hounded by Senator Pitt, whose son was killed as the re ...more
Maryanne Stalnaker
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well worth reading if you liked Book 1

Some production issues, many misspelled words (embarrassingly), a confusing mix up of last names concerning the two "Chucks", but very well worth it if you liked the first book.
Peter
Sep 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
After book 1 I hoped it would get better. The illogical character reactions and stilted dialogue and plot. Alas, no. What made me give up on the series was the ridiculous Deep State plot line. Oh well. Onto something else.
eric quinn
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good book

This book was good, changed from a war in space to a mystery novel. Still it was a good way for The characters to develop.
Nadeem
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great sequel

This is a great book and a great read! I recommend it for anyone who loves science fiction story. So read and enjoy.
LEONARD SHAPIRO
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Like the storyline so far.

The story is fun looking forward to the next book
I will see what happens next on this storyline
Bye
Chris Page
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great sci-fi adventure, well written, interesting and imaginative.
Jerry Vandergriff
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent book

As in the last book the ending was a little predictable, however in the last book they were from the future. This was another interesting read.
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This series reminds me of Battlestar Galactica and The Expanse, with an intriguing mystery, political intrigue and some badass space battles. Very enjoyable read and I can't wait for the next
Patrick
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Getting interesting

The book began with a character, who displays an odd perspective on daily living and it was a good representation of one type of mind of a person suffering with poor social skills. I wouldn't guess at a diagnosis but he was very interesting. It drew me into the story immediately. The writing worked much better here than it did in the first book.

There were editing issues (a fighter costs hundreds of millions on one page and several pages later it costs billions, disassembled fi
Keith
Sophomore slump? This was good but not as gripping as #1.
Josh Burton
Aug 08, 2017
Robert Follis
Mar 08, 2019

• Birthright
  • The Lost Voyager (Carson Mach Adventure #2)
  • The Phoenix Variant (The Fifth Column, #3)
  • Rika Redeemed (Rika's Marauders, #2)
  • Critical Path (Critical, #2)
  • Titan (Alien War #3)
  • Translucid (Dragonfire Station #1)
  • Winds of Vengeance (Crimson Worlds Refugees, #4)
  • The Organ Scrubber (The Defragmenting Daniel Trilogy #1)
  • Jupiter's Sword (Earth Dawning, #2)
  • Freedom's Fire (Freedom's Fire #1)
  • Kill Team (Galaxy's Edge, #3)
  • Conflict (Rise of Mankind #4)
  • Agent I1: Tristan (The D.I.R.E. Agency #1)
  • Dragon Quadrant (The Sentinel Trilogy, #2)
Peter Bostrom is the pen name of Nick Webb as he co-writes Science Fiction with other authors.

Nick lives in Seattle, and someday wants to be the first man to die on Mars. Not like a heroic, failed-Nasa-mission style death where he plummets through the thin atmosphere and crashes into Olympus Mons, but a calm one in a hospital with plenty of fantasy books to ease his passing.

The Last War (6 books)
  • The Last War (The Last War, #1)
  • The Last Dawn (The Last War, #3)
  • The Last Champion (The Last War #4)
  • The Last Strike (The Last War, #5)
  • The Last Tyrant (The Last War, #6)
“They’re crazy, they’re violent, but maybe what they’re saying is true.” 0 likes