Start by marking “Twist of Faith (Ava Saunders #1)” as Want to Read:
Twist of Faith (Ava Saunders #1)

Twist of Faith

(Ava Saunders #1)

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  12,706 ratings  ·  1,156 reviews
When family secrets are unearthed, a woman’s past can become a dangerous place to hide…

After the death of her adoptive mother, Ava Saunders comes upon a peculiar photograph, sealed and hidden away in a crawl space. The photo shows a shuttered, ramshackle house on top of a steep hill. On the back, a puzzling inscription: Destiny calls us.

Ava is certain that it’s a clue to h
Published July 31st 2018 by Thomas & Mercer (first published February 1st 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Twist of Faith, please sign up.

·  12,706 ratings  ·  1,156 reviews

ABookwormWithWine
⭐⭐⭐💫 / 5

First of all, thank you to Amazon Publishing for providing me with a free finished copy of this book in exchange for my review! All opinions are my own.

I have so many things to say about this book, but I can't say them because I don't want to give any spoilers away! So I will start by saying that I was really enjoying this book... until I got to the ending. Twist of Faith has short chapters (love), multiple viewpoints (love), and I felt like there was quite a bit going on throughout the
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Marilyn Stein
I invested all that time? For an awful ending like that? So disappointing. I wish I could have those hours back.
Tulay
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good plot.

This book was free with my Kindle First Read. You have to read this novel without any interruptions, have to pay close attention. Not many characters but who they are or what they are doing or did will come to surprising ending. Plot is about Ava is trying to find out who was her real mother was and what happened to her.
Amy
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical-arcs
3.5/5

Anytime a books description references family secrets or old, unsolved cases I’m all in even before I start reading. The idea of a young woman who was abandoned at a church as an infant is just the type of storyline I enjoy and the addition of more current crimes just further piqued my interest. Twist of Faith was a steady build of intrigue and tension shrouded in a dark mystery that began decades before.

This wasn’t super fast paced like many typical thrillers and I would actually describe
Kristi Marie Cook
Tiana Hadnt
This book had everything going for it for me. A cold case, a missing identity, a lost person, and delving into the past. These are things that are just about certain to capture my interest when reading a book blurb/description. Everything about the description of this books screamed my name.

I got it for free from Amazon Prime’s First Reads section. I’m so glad I didn’t pay for it. I would have been even more furious than I am now.

Positives: This book had great potential. It’s a definite page tur
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
This is a bit hard to review without revealing too much so I'll keep this one short and sweet. Written in multiple POVs with a short cast of characters, there was a little confusion at times on whose POV we were getting. I understand the reasoning behind that once we got further in, but mostly it befuddled me at certain points in the narrative. However, once I figured out what was going on, I was eager to continue and see what was happening.

I think I was expecting more of a thriller with this o
Vanessa Northcutt
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
I couldn't put it down and was ready for the ending to bring everything together and answer all my questions.. But I was sooo disappointed in the ending!! Not even like "I wish the ending had a better outcome bc everyone dies" type dissapointment, but like it didnt make sense to me. it left more questions than answers like did Ross really take in a sociopath kid?? Was that the 4 boys Karma?? Ava went from wanting to find her birth mom's name and find out who she really was, she was a drunk and n ...more
Linda Strong
Ava Saunders was found 23 years ago, wrapped in a yellow blanket, and left at the doorstep of the Holy Saviour Catholic Church and was later adopted.

Her adopted mother and family would never answer questions about her birth, her abandonment, and her natural parents. Now that her adoptive mother has died, Ava is looking for the answers that have always evaded her.

Ava has found a photograph ,,, so far non-threatening ... showing an open door. When Ava locates the house, she finds that the two peop
Janelle • She Reads with Cats
Thank you so much to Amazon Publishing for providing my free copy TWIST OF FAITH by Ellen J. Green - all opinions are my own.

After the death of her adoptive mother, Ava Saunders comes across an old photograph of a house with a strange inscription, “Destiny calls us”, written on the back. She is certain this photograph will answer questions from her elusive past: twenty three years ago she was abandoned in the Holy Savior Catholic Church and rescued from a horrible fate. Or was she?

As soon as I r
Marija
Jan 14, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Twist of (Bad) Faith

This book deliberately tricks the reader, which is standard fare for a mystery/thriller, but this one does so in a way which is paramount to betrayal. The author switches points of view between chapters, most of the time using third person limited. However, in the Ava (the protagonist according to the book blurb) chapters, the POV is first person. From her point of view, we are fed many many questions and, when we later find out that Ava knew the answer to most of them, those
Rissa
Sep 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Twist of faith

Avas adoptive mother was recently killed which causes her to go back to her past, back to a house, a house that people were mutilated and murdered. This house is not something people want tomess with.

Ava is a master of all languages but her quick tongue wont save her from a bullet or a speeding car.

I liked the relationship between Ava and johanna and Russell. I liked that there was logic in the madness. I liked that the story felt like real life but... it just fell flat. Im not r
Deeann Zessin
Fair

This is a very difficult review for me to write. I almost quit a few times, but decided that it wasn't bad enough to not finish what I started. And I kept hoping it would get better as it progressed. I'm guessing the intent was for this to be a thriller; at least that's what I figured out near the end of the book. At first I thought it was going to be a romantic suspense. In the end, it wasn't really much of any of these.

The story itself, I believe, has potential, but there's something missi
Bryan
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Welp, Green successfully kept me in the dark as the story's pieces mixed and mingled, built to completeness, and then exploded into my lap. Religion, murder, mysterious pasts and presents; it's all here and I found myself saying, "NO WAY," at its surprising end.
Ashlynn
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-be-read
Disclaimers: The synopsis section is ©Goodreads but the rest of the reviews are completely my words and of course the quote section is obviously from the book reviewed.
4/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐

"Aux grands maux les grands remèdes."
French Translation: To the great evils, great remedies.

Join the Ash The Bookworm Family!

Blurb:
Monika Sadowski
2 and half stars but I round it up because I don’t know how to feel about this book. It was chaotic and some moments made no sense. Overall it was a mystery with some surprises.
Donna Cronin
If I paid for it it would get one star

Too complicated a story for someone who is not an expert. Parts were ridiculous and silly. The nun was superfluous and not even needed for the story. To drag us through all that nonsense and leave the reader hanging was not clever, just annoying.
Suze
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Twisted

I picked this for my January First Read because the book listed as a thriller sounded too gruesome, although generally I would have chosen that one. What a surprise- this book is a mystery thriller. It's a very convoluted story, exciting and with unexpected twists- kept me guessing all the way to the end. I will not inject spoilers into my review, it has highly entertaining characters, and quite a complex plot.

I will definitely read more by this author, this was a very surprising, very go
Hope
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely could not put it down

This book grabs you and hold tight ‘til the end. Frankly, I was disappointed in the ending, but the plot was twisty. Could not see where this one was going! Now I need to check out her first book.
Chris Steeden
‘…someone knew their secret. And what they’d done was unforgivable’

A past secret pact between four children has led to murder and not just one murder either. Information is afforded to us, the reader, by the ever-changing point-of-view of the main characters. Why are a set of people connected to the Catholic Church being murdered? What have they done in the past? What was the secret pact all those years ago? Catholic church and past sins. What could it be?

It took me a little while to get my head
Jayme Teague gauthier
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hmmmmm what to say about this book?? There were plenty of twists and turns that I did not see coming. At the end of the book I was left thinking “How did I not see that coming?” Also I didn’t really care for the very very ending in the epilogue. It just made no sense to me and made the story continuing in a way I felt wasn’t needed and pointless. If you decide to read this book go into it without thinking or over analyzing it. Just enjoy the rollercoaster that it is as it comes 😁
Brianna
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller-read
I have such mixed feelings about this book. I was incredibly uninterested until about 2/3rds of the way through the book when it finally picked up. The fact that all of the characters but Joanne were unlikable didn’t help. How could I care about Ava when she seemed like such an awful person to begin with? It’s a very convoluted storyline where you wonder if these people really would have behaved and reacted this way. There was a few twists that made this a worthwhile read though so it gets 3 sta ...more
Zara
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty riveting

I only gave it three stars because the backstory was lost on me. They kept alluding to past events but never saying what those events were. I was kept in confusion until the very end .... and the Ava/Claire mix up at the end was unrealistic to me... and I never quite understood Marie. Still had me turning pages to see how it would unfold ... except I still need some pages to turn.
Mary Kay
Jan 09, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Meh

Was hoping for a great mystery, but the writing meandered along and although I didn’t predict the ending exactly I didn’t really care how it ended. Reads like a poor imitation of gone girl.
Erin
May 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: could-not-finish
I tried so hard for this novel and the fact that I made it 40% in and still gave up should be telling. When all the characters are cynical, annoying, or otherwise fatally flawed (murderous?) how am I supposed to find interest in anyone? It’s like everyone is either a shade of the Bitter Noir Detective™ or a miserable lady side-piece (in the sense of the narrative and in the sense of relationships. I have a personal grudge against certain cheating tropes and it hasn’t helped my enjoyment of this ...more
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a fast paced read for me (I finished it in two days). It wasn’t an edge of your seat thriller but more like a deep layered mystery. I loved the fact that I felt like a detective peeling back the layers of this story and trying to figure it all out. There were quite a few twists, some I predicted but there were some I didn’t see coming which made it even better. It doesn’t end with all the loose ends neatly being tied in a bow. It actually leaves you hoping there will be a sequel. I cann ...more
Booksandchinooks (Laurie)
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book begins with Ava, the main character, trying to find out more about her birth mother. She has always been told she was adopted after being left on church steps. Ava has had a tumultuous relationship with her adoptive mother and and a very disjointed upbringing. Her adoptive mother has now died and Ava is determined to find out more about who left her at the church all those years ago. Her Aunt Marie has also been a person that Ava has never really understood or had a positive relationsh ...more
Adrianne daSilva
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book kept me guessing until the end. I am usually pretty good at figuring things out before the end but I was slightly shocked by the ending. I did not see that coming.
Shannon
I think I’m going to put this down for now. May come back to it.

• Ocean of Storms
  • Shadow Boys (Jon Cantrell #2)
  • The Equivoque Principle (Cornelius Quaint Chronicles, #1)
  • Дом, в котором...
  • Steampunk Holmes: Legacy of the Nautilus
  • Half-Safe: A Story of Love, Obsession, and History's Most Insane Around-the-world Adventure
  • Why is She Acting So Weird?: A Guide to Cultivating Closeness When A Friend is in Crisis
  • Runaway Radical: A Young Man's Reckless Journey to Save the World
  • Time Heals No Wounds (Baltic Sea Crime #1)
  • Undercurrents (Summer Westin Mystery #3)
  • ClickandWed.com Boxset, Books 1 - 3 (ClickAndWed.com #1-3)
  • Walk Into Silence (Detective Jo Larsen, #1)
  • Marrying Missy
  • Before You Leap
  • The Making of Legend (Cerebral Network, #1)
  • Poe (Alexandra Poe, #1)
  • Going Nowhere Fast (Joe & Dottie Loudermilk, #1)
  • Orchids and Stone

Ava Saunders (3 books)
  • Absolution (Ava Saunders #2)
  • Silent Redemption (Ava Saunders #3)
“When things get too familiar it’s time to move on” 4 likes
“A grande caramel latte might wake me up and wash the Catholic from my mind.” 1 likes