Start by marking “A Survivor's Journey: From Victim to Advocate” as Want to Read:
A Survivor's Journey: From Victim to Advocate

A Survivor's Journey: From Victim to Advocate

An inspiring true story of love, hope, and victory—and of one woman who was determined to make a difference in the wake of a crime.

On August 6, 1993, twenty-year-old Natasha Alexenko was assaulted at gunpoint. After nearly a decade, her backlogged rape kit was finally tested and her rapist, who roamed free for ten years, was brought to justice. On the day he was sentenced,
Published April 3rd 2018 by Amazon Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Survivor's Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Survivor's Journey

Start your review of A Survivor's Journey: From Victim to Advocate
Erin
Mar 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Thanks to NetGalley for an advanced ebook in exchange for an honest review.

Author Natasha Simone Alexenko is certainly a courageous woman as she puts to paper her traumatic sexual assault and the journey of coping with PTSD and handling the politics of the justice system as an advocate.

This book is not for the faint of heart and I suspect in the coming days, weeks, and months Natasha's story and those of other survivors will linger in my memory. This book is also a rallying cry for more
Samantha Luce
Inspiring. To go through this sort of traumatic event and survive is quite an accomplishment. To not only survive, but fight, advocate, and win legislative changes is nothing short of amazing.

Natasha Simone Alexenko is brave, persistent, and a woman to look up to. She is the founder and CEO of Natasha's Justice Project (NJP), a national nonprofit organization created to expose and eliminate the nationwide rape-kit backlog and to bring justice to survivors of sexual assault.

There are tens of
Heather
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own-ebook
This book is a memoir written by an honest and courageous woman. Natasha Alexenko writes her story from the night she was attacked, through the years, and the advocacy work she does today with Natasha's Justice Project. She is honest about her life and what happened to her. I appreciated her trigger warning before she described her rape and that night. Sharing her story is part of her healing process and I thought that she did a wonderful job through out the book acknowledging that everyone ...more
Ana-Maria Bujor
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, memoirs
This can be a very tough book to go through due to the nature of the events described, but it never gets hopeless of depressing. I like the way the author portrays her journey from one dreadful night to being able to advise those creating legislation. It's all written with honesty and sensitivity, not claiming to have the final answer. This is how one person chose to deal with her pain.
Besides the life story herself, there is the infuriating story of the thousands of rape kits that went
Jen Juenke
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WOW! I sat down and read this moving memoir in one sitting. IT was an easy enough read, the subject was tough. I felt so bad for her. Its always amazing how one moment, one incident can derail your life, your plans, your dreams. I thought that the author dealt with all of the circumstances of her rape in her own way and in her own time. I loved that she was determined to keep going and trying new things., having boyfriends, trying out love.
The only thing I wish, was that I knew more from her
Pretty Peony
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm glad the outcome for this author was a positive one. It's great that she became an advocate for others.
Liz Sergent
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first saw this authors story and "Megyn Kelly Today" What an inspirational woman! Then I got the book and was more intrigued about this woman's journey and what made her so strong and to have the outlook and wherewithal that most don't. This was an excellent read. Highly recommend.

"On August 6, 1993, twenty-year-old Natasha Alexenko was assaulted at gunpoint. After nearly a decade, her backlogged rape kit was finally tested and her rapist, who roamed free for ten years, was brought to
Shari
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
Wow! Thank you to Natasha for sharing your story. Thank you for your work in getting rape kits processed. So unbelievable to think about so many that just sit on shelves, get lost or in some cases get destroyed. And the people that those kits represent.

Natasha shares the story of her assault, the PTSD as a result and her work of getting rape kits processed. She has made an impact and will hopefully continue her work in this field.

I received a free copy of the book in return for an honest review.
Kelly
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
This was an incredible read. Very tough subject, but written in a matter-of-fact, easy to read style.
Natasha's story about her assault, the aftermath, and what she has created is absolutely inspiring. I had heard about the rape kit backlog, but I didn't know about Natasha's Justice Project, and this helped me understand it better.
It really struck me every time there was an antidote and she said that this was just how things were for her, and that she was not speaking for all survivors. I
Katie
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is ok. It is inspiring that this woman has taken her bad experience and has shared it for others to read. I am appalled that her evidence sat for so long without it being touched. I had no clue that this happens. I love that she is being an advocate now to stop this from happening in the future. The book itself just kind of abruptly ended. There are some good statistics in this book for anyone interested.
Brittany
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
We are in a mess, but fortunately for Natasha and others, progress is being made to right this injustice. May I help bring awareness to this issue and fight alongside these victims...and not let it slip from my mind as something else competes for my attention.
Jane Thompson
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rape Kit. Story

This a very interesting and useful book. I dam stlll amazed that rape kits are ibgnored and backlogged. This book makes you wish that you hadoney so you could give it to her cause.
Kandi Lopez
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Inspiring book from a fellow survivor. Thank you to the publisher for sending this to me for my honest review.

I thought this book was great. It is inspiring to see this survivor of sexual assault overcome, gives me hope.
Trudy Johns
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book, lots of tips.
Roni
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I finished reading this book at the end of March, however, I wanted to take at least a few days to review.

This book definitely brings to light how many rape kits are untested in the US, thus not giving survivors their chance at some sort of closure or answers to what happened to them as well as predators not being caught, so they can go on committing more crimes.

This book is amazing. Natasha's story is very compelling. As a Rape Crisis Counsellor, I agree that people may experience the same
Rachel Reedy
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good

This was a great read on rape kits and their backlog. Her story was inspiring! Glad I read this book.
Debbie
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book to read
Geraldine Kelly
I read this after viewing "I am Evidence" and on behalf of all women everywhere, I thank you for your advocacy, for sharing your journey and changing our world.
Sylvia Dominick
Tara Brown
Jul 01, 2018
Carrie
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book from Goodreads Giveaways. Thank you. Incredibly poignant and inspirational.
Kyamo
Judy Maharrey
Oct 18, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Wholly Unraveled: A Memoir
  • Almost Anywhere: Road Trip Ruminations on Love, Nature, National Parks, and Nonsense
  • Talking to Strangers
  • True Crime Addict: How I Lost Myself in the Mysterious Disappearance of Maura Murray
  • 14-Minute Metabolic Workouts: The Fastest, Most Effective Way to Lose Weight and Get Fit
  • The Aisles Have Eyes: How Retailers Track Your Shopping, Strip Your Privacy, and Define Your Power
  • The Achievement Habit: Stop Wishing, Start Doing, and Take Command of Your Life
  • The 52 Weeks: How Two Women Got Unstuck, Got Inspired, and Got Going, and How You Can Too!
  • The Genius Habit: How One Habit Can Radically Change Your Work and Your Life
  • The Awakened Woman: Remembering  & Reigniting Our Sacred Dreams
  • Three Sisters in Black
  • Return to Me (Roman Time Travel, #3)
  • The 22 Non-Negotiable Laws of Wellness: Take Your Health into Your Own Hands to Feel, Think, and Live Better Than You Ev
  • And I Don't Want to Live This Life: A Mother's Story of Her Daughter's Murder
  • 52 Small Changes for the Mind: Improve Memory * Minimize Stress * Increase Productivity * Boost Happiness
  • My Mother Was Nuts