Start by marking “Lu.” as Want to Read:
Lu.

Lu.

"Theres great hope where the road meets the sky maybe even an answer. But this road leads home. Just home. I thought Id finished writing that story years ago, but then yesterdays story happened the one about the boy who cheats and the girl who leaves."

Lu Sokolowski never planned to return to her small hometown of Dunlaps Creek, but its the only place she can think of
Published June 21st 2017 by Kingsbury Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Lu., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lu.

Start your review of Lu.
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
What if Jesus is the answer?

Oh yall. This book. My heart is still overflowing from reading it.

I regret having to shelve my reading of Lu. until now because wow! I was missing out on one of the best debut novels I have EVER read! Pitch-perfect writing, smart & witty dialogue and first person narrative (that feels effortless), a heroine for women in all stages of life, authentic wrestling with real issues of faith, and a host of supporting characters youll want to pull in for a group hug along
Deborah Freels
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First, a disclaimer: I know the author personally. As a result, I was prepared to like this book before I even opened it. I love Beth's wit and her spirit, and I fully expected her writing to reflect both. That said, I was not prepared to enjoy this book as much as I did! From page one I was delighted by her descriptive language, captivated by her characters, and thoroughly hooked by her humor. Lus situation is relatable, her family could be yours or mine, and her struggle is real. While the ...more
Alison
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a wonderful, engaging, unexpected read. I couldn't put it down, and I ended up reading all night!
Iola
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"All the stories have been written, including mine."

Its a great first line, because its a strong statement that sounds true, in the same way as the famous opening line to Pride and Prejudice sounds true until you think about it. Because were all unique, so our stories are also unique. Although our stories also have some common elements:

"I thought Id finished writing that story years ago, but then yesterdays story happenedthe one about the boy who cheats and the girl who leaves. You could dress
Becky Van Daniker
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I have read ever. Full review coming soon.

UPDATE:
Lu. by Beth Troy is a book that I would recommend for every woman because its a topic that all of us have questioned at one point in our lives. Maybe youve been a Christian for a long time. Maybe youre a new believer. Maybe youre not a believer but youre looking for answers to lifes questions. Maybe youre asking questions like, Is there any meaning to life? There has to be more than just living and dying in the end.,
Jessica Baker (A Baker's Perspective)
I could not put this book down. It had so much going for it. Great characters, lots of emotion, a charming love interest, and a cute setting. On top of that, Lu was such a relatable character that I could at times picture myself in her shoes. She reacted like I might react, and I found myself just really liking her. The only thing that put me off was her faith in throughout the story. That was not like me at all, however I think it was necessary for her story. Hey, weve all been there at one ...more
Bernie
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Life imposes itself, often beating us down until we lose our sense of self. Louisa Sokolowski (Lu) suffers the trauma of a broken relationship and is thrust onto an unwanted journey of self-discovery. She returns to her small-town home to the often peculiar embrace of family and friends. Lu finds herself questioning far more than she had bargained for; her relationships, her career and her faith.

You will delight in the strong and sometimes, strange characters Beth Troy weaves into her tapestry.
Jeni
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't typically care for fiction because it either takes itself far too seriously, or like all too many chick-lit novels, it's frivolous or sappy. How refreshing is it, then, to read a book like Lu. Troy's debut novel is genre-busting at its best. For the record, I'm calling the new category "Irreverent Christian Fiction" (are you listening, Amazon?).

Troy's writing is on point -- excellent pace, visuals that come alive, and my favorite part: plenty of witty banter. The characters, Grandpa Pat
Jeanne
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is such a wonderful book! From the moment I started reading and got to know Lu, I could not put the book down. It is inspirational, as we follow along with Lu on her spiritual journey. And it is entertaining, with humor and genuine, lovable characters. The writing is so skillful in creating the storyline, and the way the spiritual and the humor work together is truly amazing. I developed a real affection for the characters and cared about their ups and downs. I believe that being able to ...more
Anne Lynn Minick
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is by far one of the best works of Contemporary Fiction I have read. Lu is an incredibly lovable character who is not typical or predictable. Her story could be the story of so many women, which is why the book will reach such a wide audience and will touch so many people. Ms. Troy's sense of humor, her quick wit, her lovely characters, and her page-turning story line will grab you from the beginning and keep you guessing throughout the book. I can't wait for the sequel!
Katie
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED THIS BOOK! I have never written a review for any book or product, but I had so say how much I enjoyed reading this book. I'm a college student and I haven't read for fun in a long time, but a friend gave me this book as a gift and it has encouraged and inspired me in so many ways. Beth Troy keeps you so engaged throughout the whole book because of the characters and plot. I highly recommend reading this book and sharing it with others!!
Laura Smith
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
Lu is smart, sassy and spiritual. This is the book for all the girls out there who are no longer eating the spoonfuls of Christianity or philosophy or life lessons from their parents, but actually claiming their faith as their own, and trying to figure out what that means. Troy's debut novel will find it's way into your heart and somehow change youshift a thought, create a new one, resonate somewhere inside, leaving you more certain of the things that truly matter. ...more
Megan Ericson
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lu is a book about a heart transformation exploring Lu's (the main character's) love for others and if there's a place for love for God in there too. It's a personal transformation story that reads kinda like a memoir but also has elements of romance. The author handles the topic in such a relatable way, with humor and grit. I want to be Lu's friend in real life.

Beth Troy better hurry in writing the next book because I HAVE to know how the rest of Lu's story plays out!
Kaitlyn Richter
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was SO GOOD! A friend sent it to me as a gift, and shared how much she loved it. This book will leave you wanting more, but also grateful that not stories end with a neat bow. Just like life. Jesus, suffering, and real life made this book what it was. I was surprised how I was able to root for different relationships for different reasons. Looking forward to book #2!
Amy
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read! I wanted to keep reading about Louisa and her decisions....especially when it came to Jackson, her career and where she will settle down!
The reality of how Lu wrestles with the relevance of the Gospel is so authentic. It's a woman with passion, intelligence and honest critique that makes the story so real. Great job, Beth!!!
Maggie
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you've ever wondered if your life would be better with a different person, a different job, a different place to live...this is the book for you. It's not the category of book I would normally pick up, but it's such a good read; it makes you think and makes you laugh. I think everyone can recognize a piece of themselves in Lu. Highly recommend!
Amber
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
LOVE! Lu is an honest, fresh take on a girl's journey to find faith and herself. Her family is believable, her situation is familiar, and her personality is fab. You'll want to get to know her better, and you'll want to share this book with a friend! Plus, the cover is lovely - bonus!
Joy Becker
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! When I wasn't reading it, I was thinking about Lu and her family and Jackson and John, and I couldn't wait to see what happened! I'm pretty sure I could be friends with Lu. She is a breath of fresh air in the Christian fiction genre. Can't wait for the next book!
Shelagh Moul
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: oxford-bookclub
I was hoping that Lu would have some kind of burning bush moment. I'm sad for her. And her drifting.
Cindy Morgan
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: miscellaneous
What an uplifting book and how Lu goes through her spiritual journey. A must read.
Hannah Anttila
Lia Hergenrother
Jun 26, 2019

• Nine Women, One Dress
  • The Romanov Empress: A Novel of Tsarina Maria Feodorovna
  • A Mathematician's Lament: How School Cheats Us Out of Our Most Fascinating and Imaginative Art Form
  • Elementary Number Theory
  • Journey through Genius: The Great Theorems of Mathematics
  • Ghosts in the Schoolyard: Racism and School Closings on Chicago's South Side
  • Hidden Figures
  • The Boy Is Back (Boy, #4)
  • The Glass Ocean
  • Making Your Small Farm Profitable: Apply 25 Guiding Principles, Develop New Crops & New Markets, Maximize Net Profits per Acre
  • Thanksgiving in the Woods
  • One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are
  • The Austen Escape
  • The Sign of the Beaver
  • Porch Lights
  • The Mini Farming Handbook
  • An Irish Country Village (Irish Country #2)
  • A Bend in the Road
Beth Troy is an American writer and educator who teaches courses in Creativity & Innovation and Women & Entrepreneurship at Miami University.

When not teaching, she spends her time writing. Her first novel is Lu, a sequel to which is being released in Summer 2020. She writes what she believes and asks questions that aim to spark debate and positive changes in her readers.

Beth lives in Ohio