Start by marking “Cowboy Pride (Wild Wyoming Hearts #3)” as Want to Read:
Cowboy Pride (Wild Wyoming Hearts #3)

Cowboy Pride

(Wild Wyoming Hearts #3)

"Everyone knows a rancher in possession of a large spread needs a wife."

Lacy Williams is a USA Today bestselling author of the acclaimed Wyoming Legacy and Cowboy Fairytales series.

About Cowboy Pride:

First impressions count.

Liza Bennett has two missions in life: keep the family’s shop afloat, and ensure her shy sister finds love. Sparks fly when she meets rancher Rob D
Published July 28th 2017 by Lacy Williams Book LLC (first published July 23rd 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Cowboy Pride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cowboy Pride

Ruth
Jul 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
I read this because it's the Big Library Read and I like participating in those. I regret doing it this time. This was supposed to be a western retelling of Pride and Prejudice. And it was. Though lots of things were removed (no Mary, Collins is already married) and the naming is weird. Darcy is Rob. Rob Darcy.

He was Fitzwilliam Darcy. Doesn't it make sense that he would be William or Bill rather than Rob?

But beyond that, the writing is simplistic and inane, there is no evidence of spellchecking
Sara
A cute little re-telling of Pride and Prejudice as a western. The nice thing about this story was that it was told from four different perspectives, those of the Elizabeth, Jane, Bingley, and Darcy characters. I enjoyed reading from all of their perspectives, getting a sense of the budding romance from all sides. It was quite amusing and definitely added to Williams' own definitive take on Austen's work.

I will say, I did come across a plentiful amount of typos, which was a bit jarring, but I w
steph
3 stars

*****I read this book because it was chosen for Big Library Read and as such, I was able to download it and read instantaneously. (Big Library Read (BLR), facilitated by OverDrive, is a reading program through your library that connects readers around the world with the same eBook at the same time without any wait lists or holds). If your library uses Overdrive for their e-books, you can read this title between now and July 23, 2018.****

This book is a cute, Cowboy/Western adaptation on P
Annamariah
I usually participate in the Big Library Read even though so far most of the books have been somewhat disppointing. I also can't seem to pass any Austen adaptation, so when I saw that the latest BLR was a cowboy version of Pride and Prejudice, I had to read it. Unfortunately, Cowboy Pride does not possess any of the magic that makes Austen's novel such an enduring classic.

We all know the story, though there are some notable changes. Liza and Janie Bennet are daughters of a leather goods store ow
Natalya
Jul 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
This was a Big Library Read, a national program through the library app overdrive. You would think that they’d pick a very good book. This is a Pride and Prejudice retelling, and those can be excellent when done correctly (so far the web series Lizzie Bennet Diaries is queen over them all). Sadly, this was not even close to good. It’s as if Steven Moffat wrote the book. It starts off well but then quickly you realize all the interesting stuff is happening offscreen and the boring stuff is the fo ...more
Andrea Brokaw
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Normally Westerns aren't really my thing, and I really disliked the last two Big Library Reads I tried to get through, but I'm glad I read the description of this one and realized it was a Pride and Prejudice retelling. And I'm even more glad I read it. It was quick; I spent less than a day on it, but it was also adorable and entertaining. My library doesn't have the other books in the series, but I've requested them because I'm really curious about the side characters the earlier books follow.
Dee/ bookworm
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very pride and prejudice. in some ways it was better than Austen. There was no Mary, which is good. Plots were similar but different.
Veronica Rivera
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this in one sitting, I mean come on it is a quivk 252 pages, but it was also good. Imagine Jane Austin's characters on a ranch in the American West and yoy get the picture. The book honors some of the best moments while making some changes that are good and help the story along. Rob Darcy and Liza Bennett struggle with feelings for each other while trying but failing initially to bring happiness to Janie and Nate. I liked the story, a good retelling.
Maria
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a cute and quick read.

A bit of a jumble, not going to lie, but I do appreciate the Williams' take on a western retelling of Pride and Prejudice. She kept the spirit of the main characters and story fairly intact and interwoven between both her and Austen were moments that felt were from the 2005 film of the same name directed by Joe Wright.

Williams definitely did some changes to better fit the western world and took liberty with some characters, which I will admit that I appreciated her
Johanna
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a moderately charming retelling of Pride and Prejudice in olden-times Wyoming. All of the charm comes from the original story, of course, but that is enough to carry through. There is also a gratuitous moment of Rob Darcy pouring water on himself and having a clingy shirt, which made me laugh. So definitely gets an extra star for that.

Not exactly sure why this merits being a Big Library Read (who even decides that?) but it was pleasant enough.
Becky
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it
A simplistic yet serviceable retelling of “Pride & Prejudice” as a Western. The author relies heavily on the reader’s knowledge of the plot and personalities of the characters from the original book. And I didn’t love some of her changes (no Mary and Charlotte isn’t Elizabeth’s friend) but it’s a fun and quick beach read.
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was a “big library read” last time I got on Overdrive. You’d think they would pick a book with literary merit, right? Nope. Nobody could ever compete with the great Jane Austen, but this book never left romance novel territory. I had the idea that it would be like a book group choice, but I think more likely is my husband’s theory (when I described it to him because no man would ever read this) that this book wasn’t seeing any action so the author agreed in order to get publicity.

What’s wr
Meg
Jul 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: m-phone-tablet
Read this for the Big Library Read.
this book is a cowboy/western adaptation of jane austen's pride and prejudice. i didn't like it.

first of all, any adaptation or retelling of p&p has a really tough job. it's very, very difficult to create an adaptation of a work that is already so good! any attempt will be compared with the source material, and inevitably won't live up. dont get me wrong, there *are* good adaptations of p&p but this book is not one of them.
the biggest blunder in this
Tara
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book improved as it went on, and I appreciated a truly new retelling of Pride & Prejudice that hasn’t been done a dozen times. I actually became quite invested in the book’s two main romances at times. But it also had that issue of instead of building up chemistry between characters, they would just feel “something” pass through them the second they laid eyes on each other—a love at first sight kind of thing. I just find this frustrating. It takes work to make characters have chemistry ...more
Lis Carey
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, romance
This is a retelling of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, set in the American West during the pioneer days.

Williams doesn't make the mistake of trying to make it too exact a match. The American West isn't Regency England. There are wealthy ranchers and social-climbing mamas, but there isn't nobility, and a female marshal is certainly an outlier, but not an impossibility.

And Mr. Bennett as a leather goods shop owner is respectably middle class, not beneath notice as merely being "in trade."

Among
Sheri
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Huh. I had no idea this was part of a series. It was featured on my library's Overdrive home page for some reason and advertised as being a Western version of P&P. Since I LOVE P&P, I had to try it out.

I couldn't figure out how Williams decided what to keep from the original story and what to rewrite. I mean, she kept Kitty's name, but made it Rob Darcy!? I can understand writing out the Mr. Collins pseudo-romance from a length perspective, but I'm not sure why Darcy's sister had to be o
Autumn
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: big-library-read
This was the first book of Lacy Williams, I have read. It won’t be my last. I found this thanks to overdrive’s Big Library Read. So far I have like everything from that.

This was a western retelling of a Jane Austin book. I can’t compare the two since I haven’t read the classic.

I will say while I knew where the story was heading, I still enjoyed the ride.
Raphaella
Jul 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
I read this book as part of the OverDrive Big Library Read. It takes the Pride and Prejudice plot and places it in a western setting on a ranch, in the style of a Harlequin romance novel. If you like romance novels and cowboy calendars, this is the book for you. If you are a Jane Austen fan, it is less likely that you will enjoy it.
Tandie
2.5 stars. This was a mediocre retelling of Pride & Prejudice with cowboys. Lots of repetitive words and phrases and quite a few typos. I feel bad saying this, but it's the truth. Cowboy Pride was boring. I had to force myself to finish & see how things turned out for Janie, Liza, and beaux. Meh.
Elizabeth Luck
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Sappy sweet, but good mindless read.
Sharie
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-and-5-stars
I'm a sucker for pride and prejudice retellings.
Even if there were quite a few typos.
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
Read this as part of a read-along for my library. Certainly no Jane Austen, but I'm always a sucker for a Jane Austen retelling so I enjoyed myself on this one.
Jdawson
Jul 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Fast read. Cute play on Pride & Prejudice. Quite a few typos in the ebook version. Almost had to get out the virtual red edit pen!
Sara Shupe
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m a sucker for all things Pride and Prejudice and this western version was a fun way to re-read it!
Elizabeth Owens
Jul 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Whyyyy am I a sucker for retellings of Pride and Prejudice. Do not recommend. Uneven and unbelievable.
Margaret Sullivan
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, jaff
Not bad as JAFF goes. There were enough twists from P&P to make it enjoyable. I didn't feel immersed in the Old West, though. In fact, for the first couple of chapters I thought it was set in the modern West. Until I noticed they were all driving buggies, and I'm like, are the Bennets too poor for an F-150? Also, as others have noted, it needs a good copy editing, preferably by someone who knows how to use an apostrophe. But, overall, not bad.
Julie M
Jul 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Read for the Big Library Read. Surprised they chose such a basic retelling of Pride & Prejudice instead of something with more depth to it. I also agree with many reviewers that the numerous copy editing errors was distracting and it didn’t seem much different from the original at all. Eligible was a much more fun and interesting retelling if you are into Pride & Prejudice.
K Marie
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
I am shocked this book was chosen as a Big Library Read. This is the first one I've read. The blurb made it sound interesting. And it was sort of, but the lack of spell checking and the consistency errors were ridiculous. In one chapter a baby is a boy named after his father. Several chapters on the same baby is referred to as she. At another both sisters are helped onto Rob's horse with Rob. Then they ride off separately one with Rob and one with Nate. Crazy errors like this made it a chore to ...more
Gina
Jul 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Last summer I saw a great one-man play of Pride and Prejudice so decided give this version of Pride and Prejudice a read. I enjoyed it. It was easy to get into and light reading.
Ben Truong
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Ben by: Toronto Public Library
Cowboy Pride is the third book in the Wild Wyoming Hearts series and written by Lacy Williams and is the Big Library Read Digital Book Club via the Toronto Public Library book for the July 9 – July 23 period.

The novel surrounds the Bennett sisters – Liza and Janie and their potential lovers in Rob Darcy and Nathan Bingley respectively and how first impressions and emotions could get in a way of a romance. It is in intriguing concept advertised as a Wild West version of Pride and Prejudice with d
  • The Three Colonels: Jane Austen's Fighting Men (Jane Austen's Fighting Men, #1)
  • The Lawman's Oklahoma Sweetheart (Bridegroom Brothers, #3)
  • Bushwhacked Bride
  • The Woman Who Loved Jesse James
  • Desperate Hearts
  • Lakota Flower (Lakota Skies, #3)
  • The Courtship of Izzy McCree
  • Aces Wild (Angels Avengers #1)
  • In the Marshal's Arms
  • Shadow on the Trail
  • Mail-Order Brides of Oak Grove: Surprise Bride for the Cowboy\Taming the Runaway Bride (Oak Grove #1-2)
  • Bride by Arrangement (Cowboy Creek #3)
  • Pistols and Petticoats (A Historical Western Romance Anthology)
  • The Gambler (Willow Creek, #3)
  • Last Chance Cowboys: The Drifter (Where the Trail Ends, #1)
  • Redemption (Devereaux, #6)
  • The Disappearance of Georgiana Darcy (Pride and Prejudice Murder Mystery #2)
  • Lady Outlaw
Lacy Williams is a wife and mom from Oklahoma. She loves dogs, reading, hiking, and watching movies.

Her debut novel won ACFW’s prestigious Genesis award before being published. She promises readers happily-ever-afters guaranteed.

Lacy combines her love of dogs with her passion for literacy by volunteering with her therapy dog Mr. Bingley in a local Kids Reading to Dogs program.

Lacy loves to hear f

Wild Wyoming Hearts (4 books)
  • Marrying Miss Marshal
  • Counterfeit Cowboy
  • Courted by a Cowboy (Wyoming Legacy, #0.5)