Start by marking “Blood Highway” as Want to Read:
Blood Highway

Blood Highway

Published August 7th 2018 by Algonquin Books

To ask other readers questions about Blood Highway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Highway

karen
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
this book is… a lot.

if you’re not sure whether that is a positive or negative assessment, join the club, because i’m not sure, either, but i am sure that the statement is 100% factual.

i was so excited when i first heard about this. wohlsdorf’s debut, Security, was a helluva fun book - great premise, great twists, great atmosphere, great energy. it was like nothing i had ever read before, and i have read many books.

this one is called BLOOD HIGHWAY, which is a title invoking headbanging adrenaline and splatter for a
Carrie
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Rainy Cain was more or less a normal teenage girl being raised by a single mother and dreaming of more to come until the day her world fell apart. Returning home Rainy immediately knew things were a bit off in the house but as she went to investigate she never expected to find her mother having committed suicide.

When calling for help Rainy finds herself with a young detective that helps her through the shock and loss of her mother. Shortly after though a man named Sam kidnaps Rainy a
Tucker
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it
The title of Gina Wohlsdorf’s second novel “Blood Highway” is certainly an apt one. With a difficult home life, seventeen-year-old Rainy Cain has developed clever and necessary survival skills. (I’m curious how Wohlsdorf learned about these survival skills - not from personal experience I hope!) Rainy has never known her father, her mother is mentally ill, and when she dies Rainy believes she’s on her own. Then her father shows up after escaping from prison and kidnaps Rainy. Their cross-country ...more
Jamie Canaves
Unravels Into An Intense Thriller
I went into this novel knowing absolutely NOTHING, but excited because I really enjoyed Wohlsdorf’s first novel Security–which was basically a slasher film in a novel. This time around, Wohlsdorf has written a crime novel/thriller/coming-of-age. Rainy Cain, a seventeen-year-old girl, is already having a difficult life when her mom dies by suicide and a cop tries to help her out when the system to care for her is already overfilled. What she doesn’t know is that
Tory
Aug 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018
Stephanie Bain
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
*i was sent this book for free in exchange for an honest review*

I loved it. The only issue i had was in the beginning with the writing style, took too long to feel connected and a part of the story. Once i passed that sweet point every story has i fell and i fell hard.

This book isnt crazy graphic or anything but it was disturbing and sad. I dont believe its for the weak of heart because occasionally some really messed up thing is told and low-key detailed and its well disturbing. But it really
Jules
Sep 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley
Blood Highway abruptly starts with the main character dying her hair in a bus station restroom. It is a deep plunge into the character of Rainy Cain, and without preamble (or justification later), it felt harsh. It didn’t intrigue me like the tense, thriller hook it was meant to be.

Seventeen-year-old Rainy (AKA Kat) is as street smart as a spymaster. How she picked up her “Artful Dodger” skills is not revealed, but her survival skills are required as her mental ill mother is raising her and her
Diane Hernandez
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Rainy is forced onto Blood Highway in this unique kidnapping thriller.

Rainy has a tough life. Her mom is paranoid at best and legally insane at worst. Her father is completely missing from her life. To support herself, she pretends to be a server and bags delicious leftovers for herself. She snatches up unclaimed drinks from Starbucks and picks pockets for cash. She is also a senior in high school.

After finding her mother dead by suicide, Rainy meets policeman Blaine. Rai
Krista
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, literary
It's really unfortunate that this was marketed as a ~*terrifying thriller*~, because it's very good but very much not that genre - it felt much more like a coming-of-age literary novel about trauma and grief. (And also there's a BLOOD HIGHWAY, I... guess? idk about that title choice but it's certainly distinctive.)
Connie Murphy
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this book as a giveaway. A very interesting story line. It's fast paced and keeps you engaged up to the end. I would have enjoyed a slightly different ending, but would still recommend this book.
John Mulholland
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This author has an unusual style. It was interesting while at the same time far fetched. This book was given to me by a friend and I am glad I read it.
Suzanna
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Weird and violent and couldn't put it down! Moves quickly, liked the main characters. Plus the author is from Colorado!
Meagan
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, suspense
I 100% read this because I read and loved Security. Even though it sounded like a completely different kind of book, I felt like I knew enough about this author's style to jump right in. I was confident that it would be a page-turner, and that it would do some things I wasn't expecting, and certainly wasn't prepared for. And it delivered.

Teenage Rainy is really resourceful and self-sufficient because she's been spending years living with a mentally-ill mother who doesn't acknowledge her exist
Bookreporter.com Mystery & Thriller
Gina Wohlsdorf captured and secured my attention in 2016 with the publication of her debut novel, SECURITY. It’s an unsettling book, all the more so for its ability to play upon the reader’s often erroneous expectations and perceptions. BLOOD HIGHWAY, her sophomore effort, is (somewhat) more straightforward but no less surprising than its predecessor for entirely different reasons.

Rainy Cain is the book’s troubled but tough narrator, a 17-year-old high school senior with an advanced
Brandi (Brandi Janee's Bookshelf)
**3.5 stars**

Originally Posted: Brandi Janee’s Bookshelf

ARC provided by Algonquin Books for honest review.

Typically I don't read a lot of thrillers so I never know what to expect when I start one. I was really intrigued after reading the synopsis and was excited to see how the story would play out. Unfortunately, Blood Highway had a bad case of giving away too much of the plot in the description. If so much of the story hadn't been revealed before I even started reading it could've had/>ARC
Victoria Colotta
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
My Highly Caffeinated Thought: A fast-paced multi-layered thriller.

Truth time. BLOOD HIGHWAY will not be for everyone. I have seen the reviews posted and I understand this unique layering of various suspense elements and grouping of characters will make some people scratch their heads. However, if you stick with it like I did, everything will come together in quite an explosive ending.

There were two things I enjoyed about this book. The first is Rainy. This broken girl has the tough
Roxann
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
From the cover: A gripping, surprising, and sexy thriller with a big, pounding heart, Blood Highway takes a seventeen-year-old girl on a brutal journey into adulthood on a road trip that threatens to kill her before she reaches the end. Rainy Cain, a tough, troubled high school senior, desperately wants to escape the confines of her life in Minneapolis. When her increasingly unstable mother suddenly commits suicide, Rainy thinks she has found her chance. Instead, her father, Sam—who she had alwa ...more
BookBoaster
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it

This is Gina Wohlsdorf’s second novel. After reading her first novel, Security, I was ecstatic when the publishing company contacted me and asked me to review this one. Before starting, I had extremely high expectations for this book because I felt that her first novel was so original and so memorable. I couldn’t put it down and it kept me on the edge of my seat. This novel was good, not as good as her first though. At one point while reading this one, I was wondering if Rainy was hearing voices
Denise Walsh
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was lucky to win this book through Goodreads and for that I thank you! This was my first time reading this author and I look for the day I read her first novel. I love thrillers, and this one is fast paced at times and has lots or twists and turns that are a bit confusing at first. I am not one to rehash the whole story and this one was almost too detailed in it’s preview. There are 2 likeable characters, Rainy the young girl in the story and Blaine the cop who gets her case. The rest of the c ...more
Cori
Aug 19, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.
I loved this fast paced, interesting book. The protagonist was a strong, willful, spunky 17 year old girl named Rainey. She learns way too early how unfair life can be, and she adapts in the best way that she can.

Throughout the book, we are introduced to many unique and unforgettable characters. I thought the plot was creative and it kept my full attention. My two complaints are that I think the synopsis gives away too much of the book and that the ending is kind of o
David Thirteen
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Blood Highway is an intense thriller that truly excels as a character study. By throwing the main character, Rainy Cain, into a series of brutal physical and psychological turmoils, Wohlsdorf lets the reader fully grasp this complex and troubled teenager from just about every angle. The main part of the story follows her abduction and the cat and mouse struggle between her and her abductor. This generates lots of adrenaline action moments that makes this a quick and enjoyable read. Some elements ...more
Stephanie Stennett
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lori
Oct 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: suspense
Seventeen-year-old Rainy Cain learned at an early age how to look out for herself. Survival is the name of the game she's been living for years and she's nearly perfected her play. Then she comes home to find her mother dead. And her father, who she thought was dead, has escaped from prison and is after her, sure she knows where the money from a long-ago robbery is hidden.

If I could, I would give 3.5 stars -- The first half of the book was a solid 4 stars, then ... Some characters ma
Madisen
Jun 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I only read this book because I loved loved loved Security. The writing style was kinda similar in the book, but I didn’t love it as much. I liked that the main character didn’t always make the “right” decision. I did like Blaine though - so the plot with Johnny was kinda weird to me. I liked the twists this story had - as it went back and contradicted itself so blatantly that it was honestly impressive. Overall I liked it, the sex sense were to graphic for me, but I honk that’s just personal.
Edward Smith
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice action story once it gets going. The first 3rd of the story sets up the main character and toward the end of that section introduces us to the "dead" father who has recently escaped prison and comes looking for his daughter not because he misses her but because of what she may know about some missing money.

I would have rated this a 4.5 but a love affair in the midst of all this action was a bit unrealistic in my mind.
Aurélie
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
I had liked Gina Wohlsdorf's first novel 'Security' so much, that when I heard she had a new book out, I expected something at least as good.
However, 'Blood Highway' didn't live up to my expectations. I still finished it, but it was definitely a letdown.
Damien Angelica Walters
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Take one resourceful seventeen year old girl, an unstable prison escapee who just happens to be the girl's father, and a young cop determined to help. It's a fast-paced thriller that's almost impossible to put down!
Lisa Currier
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Very abrupt beginning to a strange, often confusing book. Parts were very intriguing & well written, other parts were so dull & unbelievable I found myself skimming.
Nikki Warren
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
...i finally took a breath when Rainy and Blaine sat atop the water tower. Thank you Gina Wohlsdorf, I can only imagine what other stories you have to tell.
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not sure how I feel about this exactly. My actual rating is between 3.75 - 4/5🌟. The story is unique but I really didn’t like any of the characters. The plot line sucked me in.

• Buffalo Noir
  • The Assassin Trilogy: The Silver Bear / Columbus / Dark Men (Silver Bear, #1-3)
  • Mighty, Mighty
  • A Negro and an Ofay (The Tales of Elliot Caprice)
  • Dragon Day (Ellie McEnroe, #3)
  • Sayonara Slam (Mas Arai #6)
  • Mischief
  • Nearer Home: A Nola Céspedes Mystery
  • The Convert's Song (Valentine Pescatore #2)
  • Purgatory Chasm (Conway Sax, #1)
  • The Long Fire
  • King Maybe (Junior Bender, #5)
  • The Obama Inheritance: Fifteen Stories of Conspiracy Noir
  • Hard Light (Cass Neary, #3)
  • The Blank Wall
  • Safe
  • Gangster Nation
  • Uncle Janice
“Don’t do that. Don’t platitude me. People are mostly doing the best they’re willing to do, not the best they can. A person’s actual best is pretty damn good, but it’s a lot of work. So most people find the maximum amount of work they’re willing to do and then they call that their best.” It came out in a rush. I’d never had that particular thought before. I loved it instantly, its mercilessness. This might be fun.” 0 likes