Start by marking “A Tapestry Garden: The Art of Weaving Plants and Place” as Want to Read:
A Tapestry Garden: The Art of Weaving Plants and Place

A Tapestry Garden: The Art of Weaving Plants and Place

“This is a love story about a couple and their relationship with an acre-and-a-half of land. . . with exceptional plant descriptions that read like character references for old friends. . . . beautiful photographs and prose await.” —Library Journal

Published April 26th 2018 by Timber Press

To ask other readers questions about A Tapestry Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Tapestry Garden

Start your review of A Tapestry Garden: The Art of Weaving Plants and Place
Laurie
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In one of the best growing areas in the US, the Willamette Valley in Oregon, the O’Byrnes have created a wonderful garden- or, perhaps it should be called “gardenS”. On one and a half acres they have created a garden with several microclimates in it. They have both used existing microclimates and created some of their own- trees they planted when they first got there have matured and created shade gardens. No matter; they are not averse to moving plants when needed. Or, for that matter, moving t ...more
Sara Joseph
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous book! Loved reading it, but loved the photos the best! Made me wish that I lived somewhere with weather that would allow a garden like this. This is the sort of book to savor and return to again and again.
Joanna
Gorgeous photos, but I ended up skimming most of the prose. I bought this book with false expectations. It tells the story of one family’s gardening experience, and is pretty much a litany of “we bought this” “we did this” “we love this” ad nauseam. Because they garden in a different climate from me, these lists of beautiful plants were not actually helpful. It’s my own fault that I thought it would be a collection of photos of different gardens using the tapestry technique, with some tips and p ...more
Mia
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is wonderful, but also a bit painful, and maybe dangerous.

Wonderful because the hundreds of gorgeous photos show the O'Byrne's jaw-dropping gardens from every lovely angle throughout the long blooming seasons in the enviable Pacific Northwest. The author's steady and informative text shares the process and history of both successes and failures during the couple's nearly FIVE DECADES loving this piece of former farmland into a lush and densely floral series of gardens surrounding thei
Linda
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it
When I discovered that Marietta and Ernie O'Byrne were writing a book about their famed Pacific Northwest Garden I immediately ordered it, even though it was months away from publication.  I envisioned losing myself in its pages and their garden the way I did last spring when I read about Herterten House and the creation of its garden. Alas, despite a volume stuffed with beautiful photos of the O'Byrne's garden and the plant combinations they are famed for, I never felt the kind of visceral conn ...more
Janet
I received a DIGITAL Advance Reader Copy of this book from #NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. From the publisher
Lessons from one of America's most outstanding gardens
Marietta and Ernie O’Byrne’s garden—situated on one and a half acres in Eugene, Oregon—is filled with an incredible array of plants from around the world. By consciously leveraging the garden’s many microclimates, they have created a stunning patchwork of exuberant plants that is widely considered one of America’s most out
Psusan
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Tapestry Garden by Ernie O'Byrne and Marietta O'Byrne highlights the development of their home gardens. First of all these gardens are beautifully shown in the photographs. It is evident that this was a project of love for this couple as well as a massive undertaking.

I enjoyed the text which is very readable but it was the photographs that make this book shine. Before and after photos were included. Well done were the after photos which emphasized individual plants and entire areas of plantin
Cyndi Beane-Henry
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Who would have thought a gardening book would so enthrall me! I own several, and other than the basics of how to grow a certain plant, I have never foraged into a read as delectable as this was! I truly could not put it down until finished.

More than a how to, it tells this wonderful couple's story as they plan, plant and grow a garden with plants that are very few native to the Eugene, Oregon region, where they reside.

Charming, delightful, and a couple I'd love to sit down for tea with and discu
Beth
Dec 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I love the O'Byrne's passion for experimentation, which is evident in their garden and this book. Trial and error, curiosity, and not being afraid to make mistakes (and learn from them) are lessons to be learned from "A Tapestry Garden." I like the beautiful photographs and the incredible variety of plants used in the pockets of different garden spaces.

*Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC, provided by the author and/or the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
BookBec
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This is an insider's book. To appreciate it, you have to already know something about the authors and have an extensive knowledge of plants' Latin names. (I do not -- and found the text hard going.) The pictures are lovely, but they often feature a whole lot of plants with only two or three named in the caption. Garden experts, enjoy!
Mlg
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardening
Beautifully photographed and divided into chapters by the type of garden, this couple charts their journey to create a garden, then a nursery. I greatly admired their tenacity in sometimes waiting years to see seeds flower. Sadly, a lot of what they grow is too tender for this area.
Katherine Anne Reid
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good gardening book in a style I enjoy, for a climate which isn't quite mine. Nice photography, nice discussion of particular varieties. I might look through this again when shopping for plants in the spring.
Renee
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn't read this book from cover to cover, but I enjoyed all the pictures several times and dipped into the text here and there. The book is easy to read and inspiring, with helpful tips woven throughout.
Sharron
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: house-garden
Excellent photos, loads of good ideas. A book to own.
Linda
Aug 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
A beautiful book, but it's mostly inspirational for an urban gardener.
Nash
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
lovely descriptions, lovely pictures
Marianne
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the very detailed story of a very large garden in the Pacific Northwest. Many many beautiful photographs.
Onceinabluemoon
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable look at ones labor of love for decades.
Stacie
Read mostly for the beautiful pictures of the gardens. The text recounted the planting lives of these gardeners. Wish the authors had included more common names in addition to the Latinate.
Beth Ann
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This isn’t a “how-to” book, but a wonderful story of their garden and the photography is fabulous. I found plenty of inspiration even though my climate is quite different.
Gay Ann
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
A delight to read and awe at the photos of what this pair has created for us to enjoy.
Alice Oakey
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring, beautiful photos, original garden ideas!
robert j.langfeld

• Felix Yz
  • Saga: Book Three
  • Jim Henson's Labyrinth: Coronation Vol. 1
  • Not-So-Humble Pies: An iconic dessert, all dressed up
  • Instant Loss Cookbook: Cook Your Way to a Healthy Weight with 125 Recipes for Your Instant Pot®, Pressure Cooker, and More
  • New World
  • The Unkindest Tide (October Daye, #13)
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan #1)
  • Saga: Book One