Start by marking “Pillow Thoughts” as Want to Read:
Pillow Thoughts

Pillow Thoughts

(Pillow Thoughts #1)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  14,347 ratings  ·  1,477 reviews
Make a cup of tea and let yourself feel.

Pillow Thoughts is a collection of poetry and prose about heartbreak, love, and raw emotions. It is divided into sections to read when you feel you need them most.
Published August 29th 2017 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

·  14,347 ratings  ·  1,477 reviews

Start your review of Pillow Thoughts
Beatrice Masaluñga
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry, arc
Thank you Andrews McMeel Publishing for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Sadly, I didn't enjoy this poetry collection as much as I wanted to. They're like rundown sentences, often times cheesy and it lacks substance especially on the first half of this collection. I like some pieces on the second half but it's forgettable and it didn't leave a huge impact on me.
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads, poetry

Dear Life, you are exhausting at times. You throw more tantrums than I have ever known possible. You slow down, you speed up, you take time and give time. Sometimes there is sunshine and other times there are storms. So I try to break it up a little, take risks, love a lot and find comfort in trying new things. But you are never the same Life, always changing, always keeping me guessing. So I will live you Life, to my absolute potential.

Shealea
Feb 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-recommended
Truth be told, I can probably go on and on about how mediocre and embarrassing this literary monstrosity is because God knows I never thought I’d ever find a poetry book that I would end up loathing more than the collections written by Lang Leav. However, there are much more important things for me to accomplish than to waste so many words on a book that shouldn’t even warrant any positive attention.

To summarize everything, Pillow Thoughts is a portfolio of generic content framed using totally
Daniella
Jan 25, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I DNF'ed after like 50 pages of not highlighting or underlining a single poem. That's really unlike me, I'm usually easily pleased with poetry but this really was lackluster.
demi. ♡
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
❥ 3 / 5 stars

Most of the poems in this book are kinda meh but there are some that I really like.

“Your feelings are valid and real. Do not let anybody denounce them just because they do not feel the same way. These feelings do not make you weak or clingy or overly emotional. They make you strong, brave and beautiful. You are not merely made of stardust; you are the comet streaking through the sky on the way to do good and bright things.”

“You can make all the effort in the world and yet someone wi
lucie
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: in-english, 2018
It’s okay to close some doors, hell, it’s even okay to lock them.

This book was more like a collection of inspiration comments for an instagram or facebook post, not a (modern) poetry.
Sebastian
Feb 11, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, some of the worst poetry I've read. boring, not memorable and so fucking mediocre and lacking substance that I don't understand how this got published.
Emma
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice poetry collection. It’s really short and quick to read and it is divided into sections that are introduced by some really nice illustrations of jellyfish. I liked reading about the themes dealt in this little book and I also quite enjoyed the writing style of the author. Overall it was a pleasant read.
Hiba Arrame
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's almost 4am and I've just finished reading the most beautiful poems ever, the most beautiful and meaningful, so beautiful that they made me cry, yes, I was moved and sort of got out of the numbness that was starting to drag me in.. I loved it, absolutely loved it.
Thomas Clairmont
I absolutely loved everything in this book, one of my ultime favorite poetry books!
If you havent read it yet, please do! You will not be disappointed, plus it is a fast read (but stays in your head haha!)
Calista
There were some poems in this collections that did touch me deeply. Some things rang true. Overall, I did find this to be a bit lackluster. It did not ring out in me and resonate the same way as other recent poetry collections.

I think Courtney does have talent and she has put together a beautiful collection. I love the Jellyfish theme throughout this. As I said, there were several that rang like a pure bell calling me to a higher truth. That didn't happen often for me in this one. It could be me
Yousra Serry
I hate modern poetry but I don't know why this one felt so honest. I feel like I just had a long talk with the author and a part of it, although so simple, touched somewhere deep inside me that I teared up.
This book is split into many parts to read each of them depending on what you're feeling or what you're going through in life at the moment. If you're missing someone, if you're lonely, if you're in love.. and they're all so honest and raw.

Also, I sincerely hope the author found love, comfort,
Hirdesh
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, netgalley
5 Shining Stars.
Review soon.
Kate
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Actual Rating: 4.8ish

This was sooo good. Loved it!
Really hits you in the feels.
Alice Lippart
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2019, poetry
Nothing wrong with it, just not my jam.
Maggie Gordon
May 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry
Every time I think I've found the worst poetry book imaginable, I stumble across another that makes me rethink my "don't trash books" philosophy. Pillow Thoughts is dreck. Mindless, self-congratulatory trash that, for a book written about a woman's love for another woman, oddly and unfortunately supports a bunch of disgusting heteronormative bullshit about one true love. You've probably had the thoughts that this author had at one point or another. They are pretty common feelings when one is you ...more
Kim
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I wouldn’t exactly describe this book as poetry. It read more like lyrics from a song than anything else. But I enjoyed reading it so 3 stars, no more, no less. I don’t think I’llbe reading the second book any time soon.
Anna lost in stories *A*
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own, poetry
As always when it comes to poetry collections, it’s extremely hard for me to write any kind of review… because each experience is a very personal one for me and I always feel weird recommending or not those kind of books to you… when it comes to novels, comic books or even non fiction stuff it’s easier, but with poetry… I guess it’s just too close to my heart to really share with you :) so as with the previous ones I read, all I will say is that I absolutely loved it… divided into different part ...more
Althea | themoonwholistens ☾
// I received an ARC of this book via Netgalley in exchange of an honest review //

"I hate to spoil the ending
but You is fine
You is still here
You is going to make it"

I like how each section is labeled on what you are feeling right now and what mood you are in when you read it. I have always wished there were poems books that were like this because it would be so helpful. . . and now I found one.

Some of the poems were too straight forward for my taste and I was not a fan of all of them. This
Kat
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I skimmed a ton of poems. Both because they were bad and because I've read a variation of it before. Many made me cringe too. Some were good but I was mostly disappointed. I avoided the last 10-20 pages.
Pam (Who Cried Books)
Few relatable pieces especially the ones talking about long distance relationships, but aside from that, nothing really REALLY special.
Kate
Aug 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I heard about Pillow Thoughts around a year ago and while I was at the book shop I was very surprised to find a copy of the book so obviously I bought it and I am not disappointed. Not at all.

If you are dreaming of someone, or if you are in love, soul-searching, or said this book covers it all.

Pillow Thoughts is a collection of poetry and prose about heartbreak, love and raw emotion. It is poignant, moving and touched me. The Chainsmokers have given their seal of approval.

This is one of my favo
Scarlett
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Тhis is gorgeous. It made me cry, it made me think, it made me feel better.
It's a shame I can't share all of my favorite quotes, but here is one.

You can be in love at 3am or 5pm,
and sometimes it is with someone else
and other times it is with the way the sky looks
on a Saturday afternoon.
....
You need love, and love needs you.
You are the sun and the moon and every star
and you deserve someone who will cross the universe for you.
....
Life can be chaotic and sometimes people will hurt you,
but in the mi
Giulia
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-best, the-poetry
First re-read: July 2020

TW: mentions of self-harm, mentions fo suicide, mentions of depression

Still as good as I remembered.
Even if at times a bit cheesy and cliché, I cannot help but love with my whole entire heart this collection of poems.
One of the best I've ever read.

-----------------------------------------

First read: January 2018

Actual rating: 4.5 ⭐️

This was a gorgeous collection of poetry. Absolutely phenomenal.

Favourite Poem:
I will not bandage all your
Wounds
I will not kiss all your
Bru
Rissa
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you so much to Andrew McMeel publishing via netgalley for sending me an ARc copy of Pillow thoughts by courtney peppernell. Pillow Thoughts will be released on August 29, 2017.

Pillow thoughts was beautifully written, very descriptive and with any poetry collection hopefully certain poems speak to you.

"I have been a little often on since the day I met you this is because I've never known what it was like it to be perfectly aligned"

Pillow thoughts was something i hadnt heard anything about
Jacqui
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this. book. is. absolutely. amazing. I've really been reading a lot of poetry this week, and I mean a lot. Pillow Thoughts is probably my favorite I have read so far. I love how it is split into sections of what the poems are about. I honestly can't describe how much I enjoyed reading this. All the styles on every poem are so different, and even the shorter ones with only a few words manage to show an intense amount of emotion. I can 100% see myself going to these poems in the future if I need m ...more
Tori
Jan 17, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was absolutely not for me. It was extremely cheesy and I found myself annoyed the entire time I was reading it. Maybe one page/poem was decent but the rest was awful. Maybe (and that's a very tiny, slim maybe) I would have liked this book better when I was 15 going through a heart break but most likely not. The only good thing that came from finishing this book is I am finally on track in my reading challenge.
Megan
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Such gorgeous poetry, Courtney has a way of articulating what I'm feeling in a way I never could. This collection is broken up into different emotions so to speak, and I look forward to going back to different sections when I need them.
Bruna
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm in love with this book !!!
Mentor Texts: Mentor Texts 1 2 Dec 19, 2019 07:40PM
Mentor Texts: Mentor Texts 1 5 Dec 01, 2019 05:19PM
Mentor Texts 1 2 May 07, 2019 10:31AM
UCAS English 11 R...: April Reading Assignment 1 3 Apr 30, 2019 08:27PM
Anime Dakimakura Hugging Pillow Case APL-1010-99 1 1 Jan 14, 2019 06:17PM
Summer Reading E12 Keli Nave 1 1 Oct 15, 2018 09:47AM

• Love Her Wild
  • The Sun and Her Flowers
  • The Princess Saves Herself in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #1)
  • The Dark Between Stars
  • Whiskey, Words, and a Shovel I
  • Empty Bottles Full of Stories
  • Milk and Honey
  • The Chaos of Longing
  • The Truth About Magic
  • The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #3)
  • She Felt Like Feeling Nothing
  • Break Your Glass Slippers (You Are Your Own Fairy Tale, #1)
  • The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #2)
  • soft thorns
  • Light Filters In: Poems
  • 2am Thoughts
  • Every Word You Cannot Say
  • To Make Monsters Out of Girls (Things that Haunt, #1)
Courtney Peppernell is a best-selling LGBTQ author from Sydney, Australia. Courtney has been writing her whole life and focuses on Young Adult novels and Poetry Collections.

Pillow Thoughts (4 books)
  • Healing the Heart (Pillow Thoughts #2)
  • Mending the Mind (Pillow Thoughts, #3)
  • Stitching the Soul