Start by marking “Delicious in Dungeon, Vol. 4” as Want to Read:
Delicious in Dungeon, Vol. 4

Delicious in Dungeon, Vol. 4

(ダンジョン飯 / Delicious in Dungeon #4)

The time has come! Showdown with the Red Dragon!!!

After finally reaching the fifth floor, it's time for the adventurers to face their greatest challenge yet. They're putting their lives on to the line in a fight with a monster with crimson hide that turns away even the toughest steel and a fiery breath that turns even bones to ash. Can they save Laios's sister? ...And mayb
Published February 27th 2018 by Yen Press (first published February 15th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Delicious in Dungeon, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Delicious in Dungeon, Vol. 4

Start your review of Delicious in Dungeon, Vol. 4
Shannon
Finally, time to fight the dragon! 🐉

This volume shifts a bit in tone now that their task is nearing its end. Will Farin, who's been in the dragon's stomach all this time, be ok? (view spoiler) Speaking of Marcille's magic, she's been hiding what kind of magic she can do and I think that's going to come back to bite her.

Lots of backstory in this volume, with flashba
Jasmine
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Somehow I am now MORE worried for Falin than I was when she was dead, which is a neat author-trick.

Also ahhhh what a good volume. FRIENDSHIP and people pulling together to fight a dragon (Chillichuck in combat (I was so afraid he was gonna get eaten), LAIOS YOU BLESSED IDIOT, Marcille mayyyybe breaking the laws of god and man to get her friend back?) and that lore drop at the beginning that fills me with suspicion. GJ, author, this manga continues to be delightful.
Nicolo
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This volume is all about the Red Dragon, who has been the main impetus for this current raid that brought them into the lower levels of the dungeon. This story has proven to have a really broad spectrum, it's mainly a comedy, but it has some decent drama, all out action, and now, some more mystery to hopefully carry this story after subjugating the dragon and bringing back Falin.

I'm really how this story would now move forward without losing that Dungeon Meshi flavor, and perhaps a new quest for
Václav
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: x2019, digital
The fourth book of the series and it still delivers. This book is all about getting to the massive Red Dragon, fighting it and get to the stomach to hopefully save Falin. All characters are fun as always, leading with Laios as typical "lucky village idiot" surprising with few very peculiar expertise. We got a bit of history about Falin here, a lot of serious adventure around challenging the Red Dragon to the ultimate (and uneven) fight and some cooking as well. I really liked that the cooking is ...more
Caroline
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
YESSSS time to fight the red dragon! This was such a good volume full of action (which was great) but also it managed to have the same wholesome feel to it as the other volumes. I love this series so much. Senshi is the best character!
Loz
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Continued excellence. This volume continues the quirky fun of hungry adventurers while also deepening the plot and bringing our heroes a bit of joy. Action, drama, heartwarming interactions depicted with stellar art.
Kaitlyn
Jun 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I grew up on CLAMP so I am accustomed to manga that spends about 20 volumes faffing around without progressing the plot much, or at all. I honestly expected a good 10 volumes to pass, minimum, before we got to the Red Dragon from volume 1.

Color me pleasantly surprised!

The fight feels pretty hopeless and exciting throughout. I really expected something like "It turns out being eaten by a dragon makes the dragon sluggish and the person takes 1000 years to digest, much like in the Sarlacc."

Instea
Rollin
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Delicious in Dungeon continues to be incredible, and the final showdown with an enemy initially staged in the first pages of the series plays out across the majority of this volume.

Without spoiling anything, the worldbuilding continues apace and old friends and new characters alike take some moments to breathe here, but nearly all of it is in service to the previously mentioned showdown.

And it's worth it.
Maggie Gordon
Sep 12, 2018 rated it liked it
And the dragon appears! But the plot is not done? So intriguing!
Merritt K.
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series continues to blow me away—the characterization, artwork, and themes are all amazing.
Deborah
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
I feel like there's nothing I can say that I haven't already without spoiling this for people. It's just so incredibly fun and well-written and I love every second of this series. ...more
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
4.5 Stars

I seriously adore this series. It's such a quirky take on a dungeon delve.
Erica
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Can't say enough good things about this series. Funny, heart-warming, disturbingly drool-worthy illustrations, and plotting that actually feels thought out instead of the typical shonen hamster-wheeling. ...more
LG (A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions)
This starts with Namari and the Tansus' party, along with an ominous reminder that resurrection spells don't always work. Also, there's a bit of fantasy politics: the elves say the dungeon belongs to them and they want it back. Mr. Tansu tells the local lord to stall. Meanwhile, Laios' party has finally caught up to the red dragon. (view spoiler) ...more
Rod Brown
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
The first quest comes to an end as our band of heroes confronts the red dragon deep in the dungeon. And it looks like they'll be dealing with the consequences of that battle for quite a while. Oh, and they eat some monsters too. I am really starting to adore this series. ...more
Daniella
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Monster cooking manga that delights in the weird and the absurd.

I was terrified this would fall under the category of yet another isekai manga. I was so wrong.

It has all the trappings of an isekai manga - a mysterious dungeon, riches promised to those who can clear it, motley crews that set out complete the dungeon and claim the riches that reside therein.

Our story opens on a 6 strong crew that are fighting the fable red dragon. Disaster strikes when our lead character, swordsman Laos, watches
Becky B
It is time to see if our heroes can capture the red dragon and save Laios' sister.

There was a bit more action than cooking in this one. There's also a huge human anthropology/human anatomy chunk which the former Human Anatomy teacher in me approved of, but which some readers may find disturbing (they assemble a human skeleton). And there are some flashbacks which give more info from Laios and his sister's past. This was my favorite one in a while. I'm tempted to quit reading here. Their main qu
Doc
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After many challenges and many meals (made of monsters) the crew is finally ready to rescue whatever is left of Laios's sister Falin but first they have to face the great red dragon that defeated them the first time that ate Falin in the first place. Be sure to read to see what actions the party has to take and to see if any sacrifices must be paid before the rescue mission can be completed.

My favorite part might just be Falin's excitement when her brother starts talking about eating monsters a
Kathleen
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
With three fighters and a reluctant thief, the adventurers finally face the Red Dragon who ate Falin. So few in number, they have to rely heavily on a plan, but of course no plan ever survives encountering the enemy.

After the conclusion of that fight, things get even more serious, as our heroes bump up against the final boss, the mad sorcerer responsible for the entire dungeon. With dark magic, ghosts, and dangerous experiments, things end on a slightly less than delicious note.

For a book that
Bentgaidin
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wraps up the first arc of the story, as the party confronts and kills the dragon they've been searching for, and manages to restore their lost friend. Beyond the obligatory dragon steaks, there's not as much cooking in this volume (although the recipe for "1 human skeleton and 2 warg skeletons" is a good joke!) but it's a very satisfying set of conclusions anyway. There's also a few dangling threads that could either provide for a final epilogue later, or further adventures in the dungeon i ...more
John
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
The climactic encounter with the Red Dragon is here! But can this smaller group succeed where their larger party failed? Will it matter if Falin has already been digested and left in a mound of dragon poop? And what were those gnomes really up to in the dungeon? This volume goes a little darker than our previous ones, but there is still some giant frog meat saved up for Senshi to wow the party with breaded cutlets! Fantastic battle scenes and transitions... a bit of a lackluster dragon that look ...more
Ayanami Rei
Jan 31, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good conclusion to a funny story with a few dramatic elements, the author didn't forget to include a last dungeon meal, the most essential ingredient of the manga in those four volumes.

Enjoyment : 4/5 (I liked it.)

I'm happy I have read it, but no matter how relatively interesting the dungeon mystery seems to be, I doubt more of this series will be a good thing since it will have to rapidly lose its focus on recipes (to avoid recycling them), thus losing its main appeal.

Overall score (1-4): 8/10
Danielle Booey
Mar 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, ya, fantasy
Enter, the RED DRAGON. Laios and crew finally arrive in the Orc settlement and discover that it is the Red Dragon's territory. The crew quickly decides on a plan of action to kill the dragon and save Falin, that almost immediately goes awry of course.

We also get to learn a little more about the land outside of the dungeon in the first story and the politics that are about to sweep our heroes up in them. Plus Marcille has definitely been hiding some magic tricks up her sleeve that will affect the
Nicholas Driscoll
Gosh. I continue to just love this series. This volume thickens the plot with deeper shenanigans, plus an epic multi chapter dragon fight. There aren’t as many monster recipes this time around, but those that are featured look great and I hope I can cook them up sometime if I can ever manage to get the right ingredients! (I can dream, right?) By the end, the charming characters and utterly ludicrous (and imaginative and funny) humor had me glowing. Such a great series!
Donna
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
The adventurers battle the Red Dragon that has eaten one of their members.

I think I'm ok with parting ways with the series with this volume. It's the end of the story arc: Falen had been eaten, and they had to save her before the dragon digests her, all while surviving by cooking the monsters they kill along the way. This volume was satisfying, with more action and (sadly) less cooking. I enjoyed these books, but they're not big on a through story.
Krayfish1
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
They succeed in the goals they stated in book 1! Already! That was faster than I dreaded. And there are more plot threads for them to go on other adventures. Like they still need to get out of the dungeon. Or maybe conquer the dungeon. Or the elves want to control the dungeon. And uh-oh ominous character coming upon the stuff the leave behind. Curious to see where it goes from here.
Ashley
Jan 16, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
im so happy we got farlyn back! i was worried there that it wasnt actually going to work out.
my theory with farlyn seeing that ghost at the end is that its a red herring- in the flashback to her and laius as kids, she could also understand that ghost, so i dont think its because of her kind of evil resurrection, but its just who farlyn is
H
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
The questors have finally reached their target of the red dragon. But how will they defeat something so large? Not to mention the fire-breathing. With the help of a cooking pot, they prevail but they don't find what they were ultimately seeking in the belly, literal, of the beast. What to do now? ...more
Sarah Schanze
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, fantasy
This volume really kicked the story up a notch, and makes me real excited about where it will go. I've been checking these out from the library but this volume makes me think I should start buying them. ...more
James
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Great dragon slaying scenario. Many things happened not according to plan and many things did. I do like the dwarf with the mithril chef knife and the adamantium cooking pot.

This tastes like dragon!
« previous 1 3 next »

• とんがり帽子のアトリエ 5 [Tongari Boushi no Atelier 5] (Witch Hat Atelier, #5)
  • Magus of the Library, Vol. 1
  • とんがり帽子のアトリエ 7 [Tongari Bōshi no Atelier 7]
  • Witch Hat Atelier, Vol. 6
  • ゴールデンカムイ 4
  • とんがり帽子のアトリエ 4 [Tongari Boushi no Atelier 4] (Witch Hat Atelier, #4)
  • とんがり帽子のアトリエ 3 [Tongari bōshi no Atelier 3]
  • Laid-Back Camp, Vol. 2
  • 極主夫道〈1〉 (Gokushufudō: The Way of the Househusband, #1)
  • 極主夫道 2 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the Househusband, #2)
  • 圕の大魔術師 3 [Toshokan no Daimajutsushi 3] (Magus of the Library, #3)
  • Golden Kamuy, Vol. 2 (Golden Kamuy, #2)
  • Golden Kamuy, Vol. 3
  • SPY×FAMILY 4 (Spy x Family, #4)
  • Dorohedoro Tome 10
  • Dorohedoro, Tome 11
  • Witch Hat Atelier, Vol. 2
  • SPY×FAMILY 3 (Spy x Family, #3)

ダンジョン飯 / Delicious in Dungeon (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Delicious in Dungeon, Vol. 1
  • ダンジョン飯 2 [Dungeon Meshi 2] (Delicious in Dungeon, #2)
  • ダンジョン飯 3 [Dungeon Meshi 3] (Delicious in Dungeon, #3)
  • ダンジョン飯 5 [Dungeon Meshi 5] (Delicious in Dungeon, #5)
  • ダンジョン飯 6 [Dungeon Meshi 6] (Delicious in Dungeon, #6)
  • ダンジョン飯 7 [Dungeon Meshi 7] (Delicious in Dungeon, #7)
  • ダンジョン飯 8 [Dungeon Meshi 8] (Delicious in Dungeon, #8)
  • ダンジョン飯 9 [Dungeon Meshi 9] (Delicious in Dungeon, #9)
  • ダンジョン飯 10 [Dungeon Meshi 10] (Delicious in Dungeon, #10)
  • ダンジョン飯 11 [Dungeon Meshi 11] (Delicious in Dungeon, #11)

News & Interviews