Start by marking “Ask No Questions (Detective Caelan Small, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ask No Questions (Detective Caelan Small, #1)

Ask No Questions

(Detective Caelan Small #1)

Some secrets were meant to stay hidden… Trust no-one

After an operation goes badly wrong, undercover specialist Detective Caelan Small leaves the Metropolitan Police for good. Or so she thinks. Then the criminal responsible is seen back in the UK.

Soon Caelan is drawn back into a dangerous investigation. But when the main lead is suddenly murdered, all bets are off. Nothi

Published July 10th 2017 by Canelo

To ask other readers questions about Ask No Questions, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Ask No Questions (Detective Caelan Small, #1)
Brenda
Outstanding! I picked this one up as I needed a Q in the title for a challenge – and what a win!

Detective Caelan Small quit the Met after a disastrous operation left her shattered. When she was approached by one of her colleagues while she was holidaying overseas, urged to return to the fold, Caelan initially refused. Why put herself through that again? But she was persuaded by a name from the past…

It didn’t take long for Caelan to be deeply involved in the investigation. The top brass wanted he
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
thank you to netgalley, the publisher and the author for a copy of this book to read and review. i this book...a fast paced story that keeps you hanging on for what comes next
Joanne Robertson
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in the Detective Caelen Small series and what a gripping and rather breathtaking start it is! And I guarantee you won’t see that ending coming! It will leave you gobsmacked, flicking back through the pages to see how you missed it but more importantly, you will want to read the next book in the series NOW!!

Now, Caelen Small isn’t the easiest of characters to like as when we meet her she has retreated into herself, away from others. It’s obvious that sometimes very distress
Kaisha (The Writing Garnet)
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
All reviews can be found on my blog at https://thewritinggarnet.wordpress.com

Have you ever finished reading a book and thought to yourself; ‘Hallelujah!! This is just the book I’ve been waiting for!’? I have..

Now even though I read a lot of books, I still expect each and every storyline to be unique. However, recently it feels like a lot of the thrillers/psychological thrillers I’ve read, whilst being a good enough read, haven’t made me go ‘wow!’. Until now.

Caelan Small resigned from her job in
Jane Shambler
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
OMG! I hate authors that do this to me. You can not just stop there. It's unfair and cruel. All I can say is there had better be a sequel or I'm going to have to...... oh I don't know. See how do you like it?

This is the first book I have read by this author and wow what a start. The start of the book is best described as explosive and the ending well I didn't expect that. You just don't see it coming.

Caelan Small resigned from the Metropolitan Police when an operation went from bad to worse. She
Jo | Booklover Book Reviews
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was hooked from this title’s evocative opening lines. Ask No Questions is the first of Lisa Hartley’s novels I have read, but it will not be my last. Her writing style is strong and confident… the tension and suspense often palpable. Read full review >> ...more
Joann
This is Book #1 of a new crime series starring Detective Caelan Small. She is a highly skilled undercover operative in London. She has been on the job for several years and is taking a break when she is called back to find a killer that got away in one of her previous cases. I didn't warm to the main character as much as I wanted to so I'm not sure if I'll continue the series. It was nice, however, for it to be about undercover work and not a police procedure. ...more
Ted Tayler
"Clinical thriller"

Great cover. Well-written, with a complex story line and an unexpected final twist. Well, that's all the good points out of the way. Perhaps everyone who moves in this clandestine world display the same characteristics - but I couldn't empathise with any of them. Everything was just too clinical for me and I wouldn't rush to read the other two books in the series.
Charlotte Burns
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review also on my blog charlottesomewhere.wordpress.com

” Excuse Me. No. No, it cannot end like that. WHERE ARE THE REST OF THE PAGES? There better be a sequel.”

These were my thoughts as I finished the last pages of this book.

Ask No Questions, the new book from Lisa Hartley opens with a really strong, graphic image and we find ourselves immediately thrown into two stories that we know link together, but it takes until the very end of the novel to work out how and why. It took me a while to get i
CasPerfitz~SLiTsReaD
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
"Keeps you guessing till the end." -blurb warns. Well, yeah it did cause it was confusing! Clues? What clues? The lead, Detective Caelan Small, is basically like a puppet being pulled by strings this way and that way by her superiors. It started out interesting. An undercover specialist that seems to be legendary, cause of the way they seem to react when talking about her and around her. But the buck stops here for me. She didn't do anything that made me go "wow". Lol. The main lead to the case ...more
Loraine Philliban
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow fantastic thriller from Lisa Hartley a true page turner that will keep you burning the midnight oil.
Caelan is a retired undercover detective who comes out of retirement to help track down a known killer. Not knowing which of her fellow officers to trust she enlists the help of an ex army soldier now serving in the police security division.
As the story unfolds the twists and thrills mount steadily right to the very last page.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and can't wait for the next in this
Rhonda Lomazow
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was my first Lisa Hartley book. I was drawn in from the first pages.A twisty turning thriller kept me racing through the pages.I will be reading the rest of her books love to discover a new to me author.Thanks to Net Galley.
Katherine Hayward Pérez
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, thriller
Review to come Thank you to Lisa Hartley and Canelo for my ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Rob Smith
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
A child has been murdered and the murderer escaped. Has he returned to uk? Was the suspect actually the murderer.
Dougie Brimson
Loved it. The first thriller I've read all year (apart from the one's I've written obviously) that kept me gripped from the first page to the last.

Will certainly buy book 2.
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Note: This book was received from the publisher in return for an honest review

I wasn't planning on or looking to take part in any blog tours when Faye asked if I would be interested in taking part in a blog tour for Ask No Questions, I was already behind in writing up my reviews and I knew I had an exam coming up that I needed to study for but I had a quick look at the blurb and decided it sounded like just my sort of book, and the date was far enough in the future that I'd be able to fit everyt
Edith English
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

Lisa Hartley is a 10 star author. Ask No Questions is an example of her outstanding writing and storytelling. At no time, from page 1 on, does the reader loose interest. Caelan is a shrewd policewoman, but doesn't lack humanity. I love Lisa Hartley's books.
Debbie Littley
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Some secrets were meant to stay hidden… Trust no-one

What an absolutely brilliant start to a new series by Lisa Hartley.

Meet Detective Caelan Small, an undercover policewoman with the Met police force. She is a very highly rated officer who is brilliant at her job, smart, intelligent and a little bit reckless in regards to her own safety.

Except at the moment she is no longer working in the police force and had vowed never to return to the job due to her previous case. It was a really bad case tha
Marina
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Caelan Small is an undercover specialist. She can be anyone, anytime, anywhere. Her last mission goes bad and she loses the boy she supposed to save and she loses the love of her life. So she decides to take a break. But her bosses do not leave her to grieve too long. They want her back to find a person who might be connected with her last mission. She isn’t very happy about it, but she agrees. And from the very beginning, everything goes wrong. People die everywhere, people she is connected wit ...more
Vicki - I Love Reading
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
"http://amzn.to/2th5SwP"

I actually started book 2 and felt i'd missed something, when I checked I realised there was a book 1. I put book 2 down and started this one.
I'm glad I did, I felt I had a better understanding of things for going forward to book 2.
The title of this book says it all. Is there really no one you can trust?

​'After an operation goes badly wrong, undercover specialist Detective Caelan Small leaves the Metropolitan Police for good. Or so she thinks. Then the criminal responsib
Carole
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ask No Questions is the first in a new crime series featuring Metropolitan Police Officer Caelan Small and, if this is the sort of situation she finds herself in then it should be a great addition to the crime genre.

The story is very narrative driven, the plot is unpredictable with lots of twists that I definitely didn't see coming.

Caelan Small is a very loyal person, she was the best undercover officer the Met Police had.

She kept going back in her mind to what happened the night a young boy was
Helen Rebecca Blog
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ask No Questions by Lisa Hartley is a crime thriller that follows Caelan Small as she returns to the police force to hunt a criminal from her past.

I love the characters in the book, especially Caelan. You only get to know about her and her past in little bits as the story develops which really fits with her character.

The story pulls you in quickly and is very gripping. As the story moves along you learn what happened to make Caelan leave the police force. I love the mystery and trying to guess w
Lucii Dixon
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

Although this was a FANTASTIC psychological thriller, it took me forever to get into the book and instead of it being suspenseful, it got a little irritating and frustrating. There was some amazing parts, some chapters better than others, and by the end (around 75%) I got hooked. I NEEDED to know and I found that then I couldn't put the book down.

I was disappointed with the majority but then really impressed with the ending and I liked Caelan though I think her character needs a bit of
Rebecca
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
My Thoughts

The Cover: I like the cover of Ask No Questions. The shades used, the architecture in the back ground; all of it suits the nature of the story.

The Plot: I really enjoyed the story line of Ask No Questions. It was a great game of 'who dun it' that literally kept me guessing with every twist, turn, or murder.

The Characters: I loved all of the characters, especially Ewan and Ian Penrith. Ewan because he stepped in from seemingly out of nowhere and stepped up. Ian seemed at points to be a
Olga
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Martha Brindley
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Caelen Small is an undercover operator with the met police, the best they have. As she fights for justice, she comes across corruption, lies and murders. This a very well written book, full of surprises and has great characterisation. If you like action, thrillers and police corruption, this book is for you. As for that ending! Many thanks to Net Galley for my copy.
Mary Manson
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Just Plain Wow!!

This book held me from Page 1 until I finished. Twists and turns galore. Had no idea who the evil person was until the end. And the end totally shocked me. I sure didn't see it coming. I would love to see a second book turning this into a series as I have a few more questions I would like answered.
Beverly Mccollum
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a new author to me. She’s written a fast paced British psychological murder/ suspense thriller. I enjoyed the characters and the plot was intriguing. Many twists and turns as you reach the conclusion. It’s clear that there will be a sequel and I am sure I’ll read that one also. I’d recommend it.
Woofas
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best stories I have read for some time. How little we know of the intrigue and foibles of those who we trust to protect us. This novel kept me guessing all the way through and even though some aspects stretched the credulity of the plot.
Nick Wilson
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
very enjoyable read, excellent character and plot, plenty of red herrings and plot twists to keep you guessing
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Taken Girls
  • Into the Shadows
  • Shut Eye (Billy Rucker #1)
  • The Dentist (The DS Cross mysteries Book 1)
  • The Wave:: a psychological thriller
  • Falling Fast (McGregor and Drummond, #1)
  • Fighting Dirty
  • Remember Me? : (Book One): A DCI McKenzie Crime Thriller
  • The Secret (Steve Regan Undercover Cop #0)
  • The Poison Path (DI Hogarth Poison Path #1)
  • The Last Amen (Kate Murphy Mystery #3)
  • The Mother Of All Things
  • Dead Inside (DC Maggie Jamieson, #1)
  • The Penitent Priest (Father Tom #1)
  • Endless Evil (Pruitt County Mysteries, #1)
  • Who She Was (Sylvia Wilcox Mysteries, #1)
  • The Death Of Me (DI Grace Dalton, #0.5)
  • No Place to Run
Lisa Hartley lives with her partner, son, two dogs and several cats.

She graduated with a BA (Hons) in English Studies, then had a variety of jobs but kept writing in her spare time.

She is currently working on the next DS Catherine Bishop novel, as well as a new series with Canelo.

Detective Caelan Small (3 books)
  • Tell No Lies (Detective Caelan Small, #2)
  • Time To Go (Detective Caelan Small, #3)

News & Interviews