Start by marking “Luminescent Threads: Connections to Octavia E. Butler” as Want to Read:
Luminescent Threads: Connections to Octavia E. Butler

Luminescent Threads: Connections to Octavia E. Butler

Luminescent Threads celebrates Octavia E. Butler, a pioneer of the Science Fiction genre who paved the way for future African American writers and other writers of colour.

Original essays and letters sourced and curated for this collection explore Butler's depiction of power relationships, her complex treatment of race and identity, and her impact on feminism and women in
Published August 2017

To ask other readers questions about Luminescent Threads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Luminescent Threads

Start your review of Luminescent Threads: Connections to Octavia E. Butler
Stephanie
I am really proud to be a VERY tiny part of this amazing book written in honor of Octavia Butler. (In my own essay, I talk about the influence she had on me as a teacher at Clarion West. I am so grateful to her for it and always will be. And if you haven't read her books yet? READ THEM. She was AMAZING. My very favorite of all of her books is Kindred, but every single one is striking and powerful and thought-provoking.)
kari
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a celebration of Octavia E. Butler as an author, a visionary thinker, a person who never failed to encourage others to dare and create. It is heart-deep and reaches out to people from different backgrounds, different generations, cultures, zeitgeists. It was a pleasure to join this celebration as a reader.
Bonnie McDaniel
This book drives home, once again, what a tremendous loss Octavia E. Butler's death was. Much has been made about how her "Parable" books predicted, in many respects, the rise of our execrable President. I wish Octavia was here to commiserate with the rest of us about his election, and write thoughtful, heartfelt essays about what to do next and how to go on...but the writers in this collection seem eminently capable of picking up her torch and carrying it.

Some of the essays here brings the
Morgan Dhu
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Luminescent Threads: Connections to Octavia E. Butler, edited by Alexandra Pierce and Mimi Mondal, is a collection of tributes, homages, memories, essays and other writings in honour of this vastly influential, respected and beloved author. It follows in the vein of other recent collections honouring James Tiptree Jr, aka Alice Sheldon, and Samuel “Chip” Delany.

Alexandra Pierce says in her Introduction to the collection:

“This book collects some of the ways people relate and connect to Butler,
Jon
Apr 03, 2018 marked it as own-but-unread
2018 Hugo Finalist for Best Related Work
Nicholas Whyte
May 21, 2018 rated it liked it

Luminescent Threads, in a similar format to Letters to Tiptree and sharing an editor, brings together short pieces by almost fifty writers about the effect that Butler's writing had on them, including several who have attended the Clarion writers' workshop thanks to the scholarship established in Butler's name. Most of the pieces were written in the immediate aftermath of the Trump victory and inauguration, and many of the writers were still reeling in
Kerry
Nov 01, 2019 marked it as dnf
DNFed 2 November 2019

There's nothing wrong with this book, it's just that I don't think I've read enough Butler myself to fully appreciate all the tributes, and there is a certain sameness to them, because Butler and her work reached so any people. I'm tidying up my currently-reading pile as we get closer to the end of the year and I recognise I'm not going to get back to this one.

Don't let my stopping, stop you. This is not a bad book.
Rivqa
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Catching a glimpse of someone's life through others' impressions of them can be a fraught exercise. But this collection of letters to, essays about and an interview with Octavia E. Butler offers a multitude of perspectives -- friends, students, and readers, forming a picture that may not be complete, but is comprehensive. A lovely, timely tribute to a visionary writer.
Hannah
total must-read for octavia fans: webs of her impact on other writers, stories about her & her life & approach to writing from those who knew her, and a little lit crit.
Beth
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 50-poc, memoir
Reading the reactions and emotions so many authors have about Butler made me want to reread all her works. Again.
Nona
I loved this tribute to one of my all time favorite writers.

5.0 out of 5
Andrew
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
Recommended reading for all fans of Octavia E. Butler.
jenel Wiliams
Vanessa
Aug 23, 2017
ellenbutnotdegeneres
Dec 31, 2018
Goodreads Librari...: Please all me to this collection 3 17 Mar 10, 2018 08:43AM

• Summer in Orcus
  • The Black Tides of Heaven (Tensorate, #1)
  • The Tea Master and the Detective (The Universe of Xuya)
  • In Other Lands
  • River of Teeth (River of Teeth, #1)
  • No Time to Spare: Thinking About What Matters
  • A Skinful of Shadows
  • Sleeping with Monsters: Readings and Reactions in Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Crash Override: How Gamergate (Nearly) Destroyed My Life, and How We Can Win the Fight Against Online Hate
  • The Black God's Drums
  • The Only Harmless Great Thing
  • Six Wakes
  • Provenance (Imperial Radch)
  • The Night Masquerade (Binti, #3)
  • Discount Armageddon (InCryptid, #1)
  • The Art of Starving