Start by marking “A Duke in the Night (The Devils of Dover, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Duke in the Night (The Devils of Dover, #1)

A Duke in the Night (The Devils of Dover #1)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  674 Ratings  ·  162 Reviews
Duke. Scoundrel. Titan of business. August Faulkner is a man of many talents, not the least of which is enticing women into his bedchamber. He's known-and reviled-for buying and selling companies, accumulating scads of money, and breaking hearts. It's a reputation he wears like a badge of honor, and one he intends to keep.

Clara Hayward, the headmistress of the Haverhall S
Published February 20th 2018 by Forever

To ask other readers questions about A Duke in the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Duke in the Night

OLT
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been fond of Kelly Bowen's work since her 2014 debut HR, I'VE GOT MY DUKE TO KEEP ME WARM. Since that one I've read almost all her stories that followed, but, unfortunately, am becoming a bit less enchanted with each progressive book. The "why" of this is not exactly clear to me. (1) It's not exactly because of her writing. She writes very well. In the top 10% of newer HR writers, I'd venture to say. (2) It's not exactly because of the characters. She gives them backstories to explain their ...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Lovely, feminist historical romance.

I adored A Duke in the Night, my first by the very talented Kelly Bowen. I thought it was a powerful story with a female MC who carried the book, something we don't see as often as I'd like in romance.

Okay, I'll admit, the book was probably (most certainly) not historical accurate. Clara is a woman who is almost fully independent and gasp sexually confident, something rare in historical romance and even sometimes in contemporary romance. Now, the extent of Cl
Caz
A- / 4.5 stars rounded up.

In the years since the publication of her début novel, Kelly Bowen has become an auto-read author and has a few books on my keeper shelf. Her writing is assured and intelligent, she comes up with intriguing, well thought-out plots, and her characters are engaging and often just that bit different to the norm for the genre. In A Duke in the Night, the first book in her new Devils of Dover series, her gift for characterisation is showcased in her heroine, Clara Hayward
Joanna Loves Reading
2.5 Stars

The two stars does seem harsh, and I am going to stew on this. It will probably get bumped up to three, because there were plenty of aspects of this story I liked. I just can’t say that I enjoyed this much and reading it felt like a chore at times.

Update...several hours later

Ok, I have thought about it and am not making an adjustment on the Stars. I know my opinion is swayed due to the timing of this read for me. Starting a new read while stressed is risky, but Bowen has been a reliabl
Mei
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
I know that many of my friends didn’t enjoy this one, but I did.

Yes, I’m the cat here…LOL

I know, I know… if this was a CR probably people would have enjoyed it more…

Still, I like my heroines to be strong and smart even if they’re anachronistic! And Clara was as anachronistic as they come! LOL

I enjoyed how she managed to instruct the stick-in-the-a** duke in a very polite, very smart way! He just didn’t saw it coming!

I loved that she was very aware that her views of the world were not what the
Shawna
4.5 stars - Historical Romance

This was my first read from this author and I really enjoyed it. It's a unique, refreshing, feminist historical romance with a strong, admirable heroine who keeps a tortured, powerful, wealthy duke unwittingly besotted and befuddled.
Beth
Bowen masterfully captures the essence of the historical romance while bringing us a heroine that we would adore and expect from a contemporary romance. Emotionally connecting the reader with heartfelt circumstances, scarred and realistic characters and Bowen's ability to create a world with words, I have to admit its one of my favorite historical romances I read so far.

I received this ARC copy of A DUKE IN THE NIGHT from Forever - Grand Central Publishing. This is my honest and voluntary review
Ira
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If this contemporary romance, I bet the title will change to ‘a billionaire and a teacher hot weeks’ or something like that! Lol.

I wanted to read Clara’s story since The Lady in Red and I wasn’t disappointing with her story and August not a bad hero either:)

To be a female teacher or a businessman in early 19th century? Especially when you are one of those aristocratic families? Well, that’s almost an impossible task. But of course that word wouldn’t associate with these two.

The story more than t
Mandi Schreiner
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Favorite Quote: "I am not going to accept less of you, Clara Hayward. I will have you, and you will have me."

August Faulkner  is not only a man with a keen sense of business. Not only a man whose father was in debtor's prison for years. He is also a duke. An inherited title, but a self-made man of wealth. August finds businesses that are crumbling, buys them, breaks them down and rebuilds. He leaves the former business owners angry but he buys them fairly and has no remorse for what he leaves be
Maria Rose
A Duke in the Night by Kelly Bowen is the first story in The Devils of Dover series. In The Lady in Red novella, the reader is first introduced to Miss Clara Hayward, the enterprising Headmistress of the Haverhall School for Young Ladies. A Duke in the Night gives Clara a chance to find her own happy ever after with a most unlikely match – scoundrel, Duke, and ruthless businessman August Faulkner.

Clara prides herself on her school for young ladies, a chance for women to throw aside family and ge
Sara Reads (mostly) LOTS of Romance
2- bored and disappointed stars- stars

I think this was the it's not you, it's me type of situation. I found the hero to be just exhausting. The whole book, he did not change one bit, and was just an unfeeling, cold businessman. He was also stuffy, and as his sister Anne described, kept himself in a small box. I usually don't mind, but he never changed. There was a back and forth between, wow I'm so attracted to Clara versus I can't be attracted to her just because I am a businessman and have no
Saly
This book was totally the heroine show and I lapped it up! She was smart, clever, independent and definitely didn't fit into the time she was born in. She caught the hero unawares everytime, when she caught him in his lies, when she was so confident in her sexuality (which weirdly I liked and I am normally one who prefers inexperienced heroines because it fits into the whole "historical" context), when she calls him out on his and the society's hypocrisy towards women. She makes him see her poin ...more
Barbara Rogers
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, iblog
Series: The Devils of Dover #1
Publication Date: 2/20/18

I believe this was my first book by Kelly Bowen and I did enjoy it. However, all-in-all, I wouldn’t really class it as a Regency – it ‘feels’ much too modern. It is more like a modern story dressed up like a Regency. I’m giving it 4-stars because I really did enjoy the story. The heroine, Clara Hayward, is very much a contemporary woman, forward-thinking, ‘experienced’, etc. and all of the people surrounding her are very 'modern'.

August Faul
Bj
4.5 "A Duke Who Has Known Poverty & Finds Riches in Loves" Stars for the book and narration! Review coming soon to AudioGals.
Jess
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Looooooved this story so much. Everything worked from the characters to the story, I was hooked from the start and so excited to read more in the series.
Minx -The Genre Minx Book Reviews
True Rating 3.5 stars!

A Duke in the Night is a historical romance that has a modern edge to it. The main protagonist, Clara Hayward, is by all appearances a straight and narrow headmistress. She runs the Haverhall School for Young Ladies, a school that she had inherited from her mother when she had passed away. Clara had always been on the outskirts of society because she was a very educated woman with a mind of her own. Not a quality that most wanted as a friend or lover but her strengths were
Aly
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Living in poverty when he was a child made August Faulkner, the Duke of Holloway, make sure he would never again. Over the years, he purchased institutions and company and built an empire. Recently he bought Haverhall, a school for young ladies. But he smell a rat. Why sell now while they never accepted his offers before ?

Clara Hayward is the headmistress of Haverhall. She always knew who she was and what she wanted and she chose to follow her own path instead of what was expected of her. Quick
Anna's Herding Cats

Reviewed for herding cats & burning soup. (posts to blog 2/21/18)
Amazon: http://amzn.to/2CfrnC6

Well hello yummy cover!

The Gist: When his sister sneaks away in the middle of the night August figures he can just kill two birds with one stone-- hunt down his handful of a sister and suss out a new business opportunity. The school for young ladies where he finds her? Way more than meets the eye and quite possibly something that will change both of their lives forever.

August and Clara, well, neit
Rachmi
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, historical, romance
I’ve read historical romance stories with heroines being open-minded and have a mind that beyond their time allow them to be. I’m aware that woman doesn’t have much choice back then but it’s always interesting and a good feeling to read that there are women who want something else than the society allow them and believe that they can achieve it, no matter how small and limited their choices are.

Clara Hayward is one of those heroines. She’s smart, independent, and knows what she wants and good at
FV Angela
I loved every single thing about this book. Every. Single. Thing.

Review originally posted at http://fictionvixen.com/review-duke-n...

I’m going to try to write a review to do this book justice, because it deserves that, but dang it I’m not sure I can. A Duke in the Night left me completely surprised, partly at how wonderful it was, but also because at about halfway through I realized this is the first Kelly Bowen book I’ve ever read. And how did I let that happen?

August Faulkner, the Duke of Holl
eyes.2c
Have to say I was disappointed in this. Kelly Bowen is one of my 'go to' reads. I love her writing. This latest novel was just 'so so'. The sparks aren't there in the same way. It took me 2 days rather than 2 hours to read. Perhaps next time. As others have said, it is just too modern with the feminism touches, although interesting.
Jane
If you are looking for a thoroughly modern romance wearing Regency era attire, you may enjoy this book. I did not find anything about it believable - not the characters, not the dialog, not the plot. Meh.

Also, this line from the description? "August Faulkner is a man of many talents, not the least of which is enticing women into his bedchamber." Turns out, (view spoiler)
Bookgasms Book Blog
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ratula
This novel.was fantastic!! I could not put it down and devoured it. I loved August and Clara and could not get enough of their banter, passion and heated exchanges!

When August Faulkner, womanizer, lothario and ruthless businessman sees the innocent Clara Hayward, Headmistress of the Haverhall School for Young Ladies, after ten years, their attraction and passion rises to the forefront and sparks fly. But despite knowing that he is back in her life again to take over her family’s business, her he
herdys
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a fan of Kelly Bowen's writing and her magnificent ladies, and this one didn't disappoint on that front. What I always feel lacking are some of her heroes. I SO didn't like that August said things like "I won't take no for an answer" and "I want to posses you". That didn't feel romantic at all... I did like that both he and Clara messed up and own up to it in the end.

I hope I'll like the heroe on the next one better!
Michelle
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 I loved this feminist forward historical romance! The Haverhall school and what the strong Clara does for young women is so cool, that the romance was almost secondary to me in terms of importance. But Clara and August’s romance is good, and though his lies of omission bothered me throughout, Ms Bowen is a dab hand at making you root for them nonetheless. I can’t wait for more of the Hayward family!
Jennifer Koudelka
I've read Kelly Bowen's previous romance novels and for the most part greatly enjoyed them. Her heroines are unashamedly feminist, standing up for themselves against society and often times the hero, and the heroes are kind-hearted, falling in love with their heroines due to personality and strength of will, rather than just good looks alone. A Duke in the Night was quite good, fulfilling my expectations that Kelly Bowen has set with her novels.

10 years ago, August Faulkner was dared to ask "dif
Under the Covers Book Blog

I was so excited for this new series by Kelly Bowen.  I always enjoy her writing and this new offering isn't the exception.  A DUKE IN THE NIGHT was a fun ride and introduction to what I'm hoping will be a very entertaining series packed full of female empowerment.

It is not often that we meet a heroine like Clara.  She's very comfortable in her
Smitten
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars
A Duke in the Night is the first of the Devils of Dover series by Kelly Bowen, and my first read of a Kelly Bowen historical. I use the term historical a bit loosely with this book, as the characters seemed to me to be more modern and contemporary, the only thing that seemed historical about the book is the time period it is set in.

This story follows the romance between August Faulkner and Clara Hayward. August is a very handsome man who has a difficult past and a scandalous reputation
Sharyn
I adored the first, oh, 95% of this book. August Falkner, the Duke of Holloway (I listened to the audiobook so please pardon any name spelling errors), grew up with nothing so when he inherited the Dukedom, he became obsessed with money, and business, and owning things. Clara Hayward is a "spinster" although she is not upset about that. Since she is a teacher (and would prefer to be an Oxford Scholar if society would let her), she doesn't let society or propriety stop her from learning whatever ...more
Kelly Bowen grew up in Manitoba, Canada. She worked her way through her teenage years as a back country trail guide and ranch hand. She attended the University of Manitoba and earned a Master of Science degree in veterinary physiology and endocrinology.

But it was Kelly's infatuation with history and a weakness for a good love story that led her down the path of historical romance. When she is not
More about Kelly Bowen

The Devils of Dover (3 books)
  • Last Night with the Earl (The Devils of Dover, #2)
  • Untitled (The Devils of Dover, #3)

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • A Girl's Best Friend
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hearts at Seaside (Sweet with Heat: Seaside Summers #3)
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Flight (Up in the Air, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Room Mate (Roommates, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
  • The Forgiving Hour
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Bright Side (Bright Side, #1)
  • The Fixer Upper
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Chasing I Do (The Eastons #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
  • The Cafe by the Sea
  • That Month in Tuscany
    $6.99 $2.49
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Something in the Way (Something in the Way, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Ghosted
  • Dodging Temptation
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Billionaire's Final Stand (Billionaire Bachelors, #7)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Billionaire's Dance (Billionaire Bachelors, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blackmailing the Billionaire (Billionaire Bachelors, #5)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire Falls (Billionaire Bachelors, #3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Runaway Heiress (Billionaire Bachelors, #6)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Treading Water (Treading Water, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Life Next Door (Love Not Included Book 3)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Undeniable Love (Journey Of Love Book 2)
  • Bittersweet
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mr. Perfect (Mister, #1)
  • Made for You
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Journey Home
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unforgettable Love (Journey of Love Book 3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Valiant (Spy Girl Book 4)
  • Dear Aaron
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Wrecked
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Story
    $10.99 $1.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Out of Focus (Adams Grove, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What If
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)