Start by marking “The Walking Dead: Here's Negan!” as Want to Read:
The Walking Dead: Here's Negan!

The Walking Dead: Here's Negan!

(The Walking Dead (Collected Editions))

Who is Negan? Since his debut in THE WALKING DEAD #100, the charismatic psychopath has antagonized Rick Grimes, murdered his friend with a baseball bat wrapped in barb wire (which he calls "Lucille"), and led the Saviors into war against Alexandria and the neighboring communities. But who was he before society broke down? That question will be answered here, collecting the ...more
Published October 10th 2017 by Image Comics

Start your review of The Walking Dead: Here's Negan!
Alejandro
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beware alive ones, here comes Negan & Lucille!

This is a special publication of “The Walking Dead”, not part of the regular run, therefore, it’s only avalaible (at this moment) in this very hardcover publication.

Creative Team:

Writer: Robert Kirkman

Illustrators: Charlie Adlard

Additional gray tones to inking: Cliff Rathburn

HEY, BATTER BATTER!

It’s time I told you about Lucille.

Negan is my favorite character in The Walking Dead (comic books and TV adaptation), obviously I had read the
Sam Quixote
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Heeeeeeere’s.... an obvious cash-grab! Ahhh, who can blame Image, eh? The Walking Dead is their Batman/Spider-Man - that they haven’t exploited it as much as DC/Marvel have their own properties is pretty remarkable in itself! So, in order to make their Image+ magazine successful, a short, serialized Walking Dead spinoff starring the title’s best character, Negan, was included. And it wasn’t bad!

Here’s what you need to know: it’s Negan’s origin story. And an unnecessary one it was too! Because I
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: z2017, graphic-novels
I always feel conflicted when I read a villain's backstory. On the one hand, it's cool to see what exactly made the villain a villain but on the other hand, it's also cool when a villain has that air of mystery, it adds to the villain's allure. For me to love a villain's backstory it has to be great and unfortunately this one wasn't that great. Don't get me wrong, I found bits of it interesting but overall I found it quite pointless. If you're going to give Negan a backstory, then make it ...more
Chad
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
Negan's origin story. We find out Negan was just as big of a huge asshole before the dead rose as he is afterwards. Shocking! And he finds his jacket and bat randomly along his travels. Oh the horror!
The story adds nothing to the character. If anything it takes away a bit of the mystery and allure to what his deal could have been. Give this expensive cash grab a pass.
Gianfranco Mancini

Not bad at all if you like Negan's character and wanna know his (and "Lucille's) "Secret Origin" tale, but this short (and expensive) hardcover volume could have been just a flashback in the main series.

Karl Marberger
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Seemed pretty unnecessary. Supposed to be an origin story, but doesn’t add anything to the character.
Artemy
Nov 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: image-comics, comics
The origin story of Negan. Did we really need it? Well, no, but this short collection serves as an okay TWD fix for a time when there's no new TWD comics otherwise.
Diana
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Of all the things I wouldn't have imagined him to be a cheating bastard...

Merged review:

1.5 for what happens at the end that makes you want to read more to know what is going on

Merged review:

more like a 1'5, really
Rod Brown
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
I read the first two Walking Dead novels about the Rise of the Governor because it seemed like it might be interesting to see how this major villain came to be. But it wasn't. And now the creative team behind the Walking Dead have done the same thing for Negan. It's an origin story that can only disappoint or take away from the character, and is better left untold, just like Wolverine: Origin.
Nancy
Oct 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This review can be found on my blog: https://graphicnovelty2.com/2017/10/2...

The Walking Dead’s favorite psychopath now has a backstory! This slim volume shows us Negan before the zombie apocalypse and in the days following, and we learn what shaped him into the charismatic villain that we love to hate.

When I bought the book it was shrink-wrapped in plastic, so a casual shopper couldn’t flip through it and find out more about Negan without actually purchasing the book. The book is much shorter
Rachel
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
In a somewhat vulgar comparison that would make Negan proud of me for having written, reading this comic was like premature ejaculation- It was over before things started to really get good! Such a bummer, as I was hoping to catch a less-rushed glimpse into this iconic character's backstory.
Reese Copeland
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this. It gives you some really good insight into why Negan is the way he is. Great back story!
Eliza
Feb 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novels
What a waste of 72 pages i feel like i didn't learn anything new about Negan
Frédéric
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, comics
A decent but unnecessary origin story of the famous TWD psychopath.

It kind of actually deserves Negan; the mystery that surrounded his background was more potent than the reality of his previous life and how he came into being the leader of the Saviors. It seemed obvious without needing it detailed.
The same goes for Lucille. You don't have to be a victorian detective to make an educated guess as to who she originally was.

This is a pure cash drain issue; it takes your money but doesn't give much
Michelle Morrell
I've been a fan of both The Walking Dead comics and show since the start, however I stopped reading the comics just before the appearance of Negan. I do believe I have been utterly spoiled by the amazingly charismatic Jefferey Dean Morgan.

This stand alone is the origin story of Negan, and while it was interesting, comic Negan just didn't hold a candle to tv Negan. Also, I forgot just how hard it is to parse the action in the comics sometimes, the characters look just a little too similar, and
Quentin Wallace
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I suppose this is a situation where my expectations were just too high. This character has reached mythic proportions among Walking Dead fans, so regardless of how good his backstory I'm sure many of us would have felt a little let down.

This isn't bad at all, but Negan's past just didn't seem to be much different than many of the other Walking Dead characters. I guess that may have been the point, but I was expecting a much more climactic backstory for such a great villain. Still, if you're a
Dimitris
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Well, I didn't know what I was expected to read... like, I love the character, but this is a quick money grab for sure... and they can't possibly tell a story about him in the future so there's going to be an origin one.
We already kinda knew what happened and what we thought from the hints here and there happened, that's what's happening here. So no surprises. No nothing.

It's good, artwork is great. It's a fun read.

If you really like the character, give it a go.
Anthony
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: image
Yeah. Alright. Not bad.
Cindy Newton
I'm an ardent Walking Dead fan, but this is the first of the graphic novels that I've read. It satisfied my burning desire to know who and what Negan had been before the ZA hit. My husband joked that he would turn out to be a teacher (as quite a few villains in tv shows have turned out to be), and he was right, although Negan was not, as my husband predicted, an English teacher. He was a coach, and I can now see the origin of tv Negan's fascination for genitalia--his graphic novel counterpart ...more
Cale
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Negan's origin really kind of undercuts the power of the character. Reading this after Volume 28, where Negan refers to his early days in a little less direct a fashion, I was disappointed by the discrepancy by what I had pictured and what actually happened. Yes, seeing Negan dealing with normal society is interesting (and shows how his skills and personality are actually rewarded in the zombie world), but the story is so... banal. I understand that was kind of the point, but it still doesn't ...more
Ashley Walker
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I was so excited to read this! I enjoy the Walking Dead comics and to finally know Negan’s origin story I couldn’t wait! But I was so disappointed, it felt like a sorry excuse to swear a lot for no reason. Literally the word count in this comic is fifty percent Negan dropping F bombs. This was a big let down for me considering how amped I was to read it.
Fiction State Of Mind
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book
Origin story of a Walking Dead’s big baddie. It was ok . Expected a bit more
Betty
I downloaded an ARC on Edelweiss, very excited to learn Negan's backstory. Alas, I was disappointed... the copy from Edelweiss was only a twenty-eight preview, rather than the complete seventy-two page book. Rather than getting Negan's complete backstory, I was only given a glimpse... so I can't properly review this unless/until I've read the entire thing.

I will say that the little I was able to read certainly had my curiosity piqued!

No rating, because I don't rate previews.
Dan
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of The Walking Dead who want to know more about Negan.
If you're like me, and you love this series but have not gotten to The Walking Dead # 100 yet, then this special Barnes & Noble Exclusive Edition of Here's Negan is the book you want. It comes with a special edition of The Walking Dead # 100 with an all new variant cover so you can read that first.

I still feel like I should have waited to read this until I had already read parts of the series where Negan and the saviors show up including "All Out War". I did order The Walking Dead, Book Nine
Sooraya Evans
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Felt short and rather rushed. Negan was a gym teacher before the whole world fell apart? Haha. I wasn’t expecting that at all.
Dave
As a huge fan of the walking dead television show, but new to the world of graphic novels, I eagerly picked this one up. Who doesn't want to learn of Negan's origins? I enjoyed the art, the story arc, and pretty much everything about it. But then it ended before I was ready to put it down. Too short! Thank you to Image Comics for providing a review copy.
Mirkat
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked this well enough, but it feels kind of unnecessary. Negan the big bad got that way because reasons. The reasons didn't strike me as particularly special for a zombie apocalypse. He was kind of a jerk before the dead started to rise, and then he became a jerk who experienced loss and was able to get other people to follow him, to increase their chances of not dying. And he obtained his signature barbed-wire bat.
Craig
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Kind of pointless, like filling in Darth Vader's backstory. We watch as a jerk of a coach turns into a hard-bitten survivor, though there really isn't a whole lot here to explain his psychopathic tendencies. Oh, well. Whatever.
Emily
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Got the Negan backstory. It was fine. Provided some context. But even a short graphic novel with the mouth Negan’s got on him is hard to take. (view spoiler)
Louie
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I hope the show does a special episode telling this story at some point.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Quantum Age
  • Saga, Vol. 8
  • Crossed, Vol. 6
  • Black Hammer, Vol. 3: Age of Doom Part One

The Walking Dead (Collected Editions) (1 - 10 of 34 books)
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye