Start by marking “UKD1 (UK Dark #1)” as Want to Read:
UKD1 (UK Dark #1)

UKD1

(UK Dark #1)

What would happen if?
Many people ask themselves the question, but how many actually do something about it?
Tom lives in Birmingham, England with his family. After asking himself the question and researching what could happen, he decided it wouldnt do any harm to be a little bit prepared. Just in case.
He discovers the world is going to be hit by a massive Coronal Mass
Published June 19th 2017 by DHP Publishing (first published May 4th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about UKD1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about UKD1

Start your review of UKD1 (UK Dark #1)
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I was keen to read this book but sadly could not finish it. I read hundreds of books a year and the writing style in this just didnt flow.

I found the start really dragged with a lot of information that is not really that relevant. This is where that writers rule of show dont tell the reader should have been applied.

I just got bored and despite what sounded like a good plot it didnt hold me. Good editing might improve this book.
Karina Halt
I highly recommend this book! CME takes down the power grid, and everything grounds to a halt.
chucklesthescot
Tom is a fan of zombie and apocalypse books which leads him to wonder what he would do to protect his family if disaster came. He and wife Becky decide to start prepping, so when Tom sees some disturbing things on the news, he knows he has less than a week before a huge solar flare changes their lives forever. The question is, who do you share the information with and will they believe you?

I liked Tom because he is a normal guy, living in the UK, who loves to read my favourite kinds of books and
Cecilia
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book is entertaining enough, the writing isn't great but it's basically like indulging in a survivalist fantasy. However I couldn't shook off the feeling it was extremely sexist. Women have no role in this book other than caretakers or victims. Overall that's pretty poor and boring and meant I couldn't enjoy the book.
NormaCenva
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At last a good story-survival book for the UK! Great presentation scenario explored in detail, interesting characters and highly readable content. Read it in one sitting. If there will ever be a continuation I will buy it in a heartbeat for sure!
Pam Shelton-Anderson
There is a lot to commend in this book. It takes place in the UK, which is fun to see things from "that" area. There is a lot of info and ideas about preparing for potential disaster and also what to do if the disaster occurs, as it did here. I also really likes that these ordinary people and neighbors banded together to work as a unit to survive. I was put off by the writing style which was often choppy and the dialogue, in particular, did not flow well. There were some odd spacing in the ...more
Victoria Zigler
Aug 23, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a really tough one for me to pick a rating for. On the one hand, I love the idea behind the plot, especially the fact it takes place in the UK, which doesn't seem to happen much in these kinds of books. On the other hand, the plot dragged, especially in the early chapters. If it had some editing to improve the pacing, and fix some of the issues where the author tells us things rather than showing them, this could be a fantastic read. As it is, it's only a kind of good read. Such a ...more
April
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Keeps you reading

This is an unusual type of read one I was not too sure would keep my attention, I mean a prepper story were the guy is not even a real prepper he's just worried about the what ifs. Anyway it has a great story line and actually keeps you interested in the what if and whys. Each character is unique just as any group of actual survivors would be! Great read with plenty of thought provoking moments
Mike
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
I struggled to get through this book. As mentioned by other reviewers, the writing did not flow. There was a lot of "and then we discussed this" in the narrative. Events which could have been explained and detailed better seemed to be rushed over and the timeline I thought was a little to quick for the fall of society. It's a shame as I enjoyed the 2 Zombie castle books which are much better written. I'm quite surprised this series has such a high rating as I felt quite disappointed by the end.
Grw
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Great idea to have all the electronics taken out but, rather too many plot devices, in that everyone you would need "Just happens" to turn up on a small Birmingham back street.

Could also have done with a few more view points of the other people, and being a little more detached from the lead character, who got rather annoyingly repetitive after a while.

Some issues with the time line, but over all manages to keep pretty factual, if tricky to believe, yet still a good read.
Howard Katzoff
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Scary but uplifting

Talk about the end of days! This story is so vitally portrayed that it's scary. What would we do if the whole economy collapsed including finding food to eat. The group in the story come across as real and amazingly about to work together for the good of the community. Highly recommend.
Chrystal Roe
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well done

I really enjoyed this book. It centers on an average neighborhood showing their efforts to make their way through a now powerless world. The sun has knocked out all modern electrical systems, computers, communications systems,etc. Now these folks have to band together to survive in their new world.
Amanda Senior
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this book immensely.

I really enjoyed reading a different take on a kind of post apocalypse type book. In fact I read this very quickly and am set to start the next after this review.

It is refreshing to have a realistic story where the characters behave like I would expect and not go full Hollywood! FanFabtaduc)
Angela
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good start to a series

Nicely written and very informative on how to prepare for an EMP event. I'm not totally involved with the characters (yet) but it's definitely good enough that I want to continue with the series :)
Mike
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great start

A really good employable read and fast paced. Keen to see how the story develops further. A good pur phase!
tim szewczyk
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
UDK1

Well done! Great plot with interesting twists. Storyline kept my interest to the very end. A b c d e
Joshua Mckay
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great Read

Good post apocalyptic story. Different from.the usual books I have read but great so far and will be buying the others to see how it pans out.
Alison Jane Morgan
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it
UKD1

Enjoyed reading this book, it gives a good account of normal people living in
Actually almost written like an instruction book on surviving.
Chris Page
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another good post apocalyptic tale from the UK
Doghouse Gav
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good read

Enjoyed the book. Good story well told. Well worth a read. Looking forward to starting book two. Was set up nicely.
Regina
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it. Very good for a first book,and hardly ANY mistakes. He has a decent proof reader,LOL. The only issue I have is everything went a little fast. Or perhaps the neighborhood was really smart and got their #### together quickly because of that,hehehe. Looking forward to starting the next one.
Mark Pirie
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Solar EMP

Well written account from a refreshingly British point of view.
Concept and skills needed for survival well thought out, not just relying on massive fire power,(unrealistic in UK environment.) Great read!
La'naie Harrington
Excellent

Well written, great characters and situations that are believable. My only dissatisfaction is where is part 2???? Hoping to see it out soon.
J P GUTHRIE
rated it did not like it
May 10, 2018
mr n bowen
rated it it was ok
Mar 02, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Rebellion (After It Happened #6)
  • On the Edge (No Direction Home #3)
  • Eastwood (No Direction Home #2)
  • Surviving the Fall (Surviving the Fall, #1)
  • Hope (After It Happened #4)
  • The Paths Between Worlds (This Alien Earth #1)
  • The Long Road (Surviving the Fall, #6)
  • The Gathering Storm (Surviving the Fall, #2)
  • A Kestrel for a Knave
  • Sanctuary (After It Happened, #5)
  • Days of Panic (EMP Survival, #1)
  • All That Remains (Lone Survivor #1)
  • Safe Haven - Is This the End of Everything?: Book 6 of the Post-Apocalyptic Zombie Horror series
  • No Direction Home (No Direction Home, #1)
  • The End of Everything: Book 6
  • The End of Everything: Book 5
  • Winter's Refuge (The Long Fall #2)
  • Humanity (After It Happened #2)

UK Dark (3 books)