Start by marking “Off the Ice (Hat Trick, #1)” as Want to Read:
Off the Ice  (Hat Trick, #1)

Off the Ice

(Hat Trick #1)

Tristan Holt is nothing if not pragmatic. Despite a flourishing career as a defenseman for the Atlanta Venom, Tristan knows he can’t play hockey forever. One day he’ll retire—if an injury doesn’t force him to hang up his skates first. His backup plan? Finishing his business degree. But he doesn’t count on a very inappropriate attraction to his standoffish sociology profess ...more
Published October 30th 2017 by Riptide Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Off the Ice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Off the Ice

Start your review of Off the Ice (Hat Trick, #1)
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~4.5~

Oh, hell, YES, baby; this book is ALL the things:

- Great writing, with sharp, realistic dialogue, some banter, and humour

- Two complex MCs with interesting backstories

- Opposites attract, age gap, pseudo-enemies-to-lovers, plus HOT FOR TEACHER!

- KINK (dominance, spanking, mild humiliation)

- Steam and more steam

- Awesome cast of secondary characters

- No real angst, some OFY conflict

- Insta LUST, not insta love

- Believable relationship development (the MCs move from teacher/student to lover
Wendy
4,5

When I found out that one of my favorite books was being "repolished", I happily signed up to review it, because what's better than re-reading one of your favorites!! I can't really say this is a "golden oldie" because it hasn't been that long since I first read this one. I can tell you that I still loved it just as much the second time around. Maybe even more since I have been slowly building a newfound appreciation for BDSM and other sorts of kink ;)

come to momma gif - Google zoeken

I was already a huge hockey fan.

Shile

You can find me here 👇

description

It is Me! not the book!.

I liked some parts and disliked some parts.

This is a Teacher/student story with some BDSM elements.

The audiobook was amazing, Kirt Graves narration is always on point.

Sebastian the Teacher. He was an a**hole from the first time he was introduced and not the good kind of a**hole. I tried but i just couldn't connect. I had some cringey moments listening to his POV.

Tristan the student and professional Hockey was a darling, i loved him, too ba
Jan
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sports, lgbtq
** 2.5 Stars **

I don't know people...

The rates are so high. Was I expecting too much? I feel so disappointed.

It wasn't bad but it was nothing special either. Therefore I will go for 2 stars which is an "OK read" here on GR.

Tristan was lovely and I sympathized with his character LOADS. I think the authors did great revealing his emotions and fears when facing his conflicted situation of coming out.

I actually felt anxious for him every single time he had to come up front and talk about this with
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*3.5 stars*

I liked this, at times very much, but when I reflected back on the story about a week after I read it, nothing stood out to me, which isn't a great thing.

I was one of the few who didn't love Avon Gale's collaboration with Piper Vaughn, and though I ADORE Avon Gale's solo works, I think I'll steer clear of her work with Piper in the future. It just doesn't give me that *squee* feeling.

I was drawn to this book because it has SO many themes that I enjoy. I love kink, age gaps, and hock
Jewel
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Warning: Gushy review ahead, because this book rocked my socks off.

When I read that Avon Gale and Piper Vaughn were starting a new hockey series, I was ecstatic! And I don't even think I could follow a game of hockey without someone talking me through it. But I do love me some sports romance, even if I don't really like sports. Something about seeing alpha males laid low by love just gets me going. Who could blame me, right? And add in a super toppy academic and I'm in lurve!

Sebastian Cruz is a
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
Audio...5 stars
Story....4.5 stars

After reading some of the mixed reviews, I was sure this book was not for me. I was wrong, and I'm glad I decided to read it after reading and enjoying book 2.

I actually loved this book a bit more than I did book 2, because to me, it was more of an emotional read. There was also more focus on the relationship than the sport so I felt the connection between the MCs more so than I did in book 2.

I've already added the audio for book 3 to my audible wish list. Augu
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***4.5 Stars***

I loved this so much!!! So, SOOOO good!!

Image result for in love gif

- Opposites Attract - Hockey player and college professor with dynamite chemistry.

- Age Gap - About 10 years

- Student/Teacher(ish) - Nothing happens while Tristan is Sebastian's student...but the dynamic afterwards.....oh yes!

- Some kink - Tristan loves dominance and Sebastian loves control. A little bit of humiliation (not public), some spanking, some slapping, and a whole lot of explosive chemistry! Did I mention that already? We
Ele
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
*4.5 stars*

Well, it's official. From now on, every Puerto Rican teacher is going to be Juan Forgia in my mind. It's all Santino Hassell's fault.

Avon Gale and Piper Vaughn are my new favorite author duo! Their writing might mesh together incredibly well, but the characters' voices are very powerful and distinct. I'm perfectly sure that Off the Ice will tick a lot of people's boxes:

-Opposites attract.

-Age gap.

-Teacher/student trope (because of my line of work this can feel a little icky, but fear
.Lili.

Oh, boy did Off the Ice by Avon Gale and Piper Vaughn cater to all my loves:

Age gap + opposites attract + teacher/student + kink + romance+ humor

It's the story of an out and proud but unbending college professor, Sebastian Cruz, and a closeted professional Ice Hockey player, Tristan Holt, who's recently gone back to school. At first glance, Sebastian comes across as uptight and by the rules, but even he can't resist the blonde hot guy in the gray sweatpants (shot out to #gethasselled & #megs
Bhavya Marya
Aug 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
I really had a good time reading this. I love that we got both of the MC's POVs. It made the reading experience better. Because when the conflict did come I could see both sides of the issue.

The whole professor student thing was really hot in the begining. The sexual tension just made me feel impatient and excited at the same time.
I liked that the book wasn't just about the romance. It was also about how difficult coming out can be for athletes and that you need to compromise to make a relation
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
Solid 4 Star read.

I quite like this duo.

I wasn't a super big fan of the humiliation kink going on, but it was on the light side. Super hot otherwise.

No crazy drama.

Likable characters.

Great start to the series, I am definitely looking forward to the next book.

ARC kindly provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review
Alisa
I was a bit hesitant going into this because while I love Avon Gale's solo books I was not a fan of this writing duo's previous book Permanent Ink. I did like this one better but not by much.

Tristan is a NHL hockey player who wants to finish off his college degree. (And on a side note, real life professional hockey player Colton Parayko is the inspiration for Tristan. You should take a minute to google him because sweet baby jesus he's something fine to look at) Tristan takes a Sociology class
Trio
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
More a traditional romance, with a side order of hockey, fans of the writing duo of Avon Gale and Piper Vaughn will be thrilled with Off the Ice, the first in their new Hat Trick series. There is a definite style in the combination of these two fine authors which is an interesting contrast to how each of them writes on their own. Very polished, the authors’ final product is a story with a great message, interesting characters, and fiery romantic scenes (it’s okay to infer I’m saying the sex is h ...more
BWT (Belen)
4.5 Stars

Practically perfect in every way.

During his summer off, professional NHL player Tristan Holt has decided to go back to school part-time in order to finish his business degree.

He ends up in a Sociology course being taught by Sebastian Cruz, one of the professors still trying to get tenure with the university.

The two have a rocky start, but once the class ends, the heat begins and the two begin a relationship. Unfortunately, Tristan isn't out - to anyone - and Sebastian is out and proud.

T
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Expected more*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

The book was alright. Nothing to write home about, nor something I'd want to read again. It was predictable, but still cute. It centers around defenseman for the Atlanta Venom, Tristan ‘Tris’ ‘Holtzy’ Holt (23) and sociology professor, Sebastian ‘Seb’ Cruz (34?) who just can't help the attraction between them. However, one is out and proud while the other is still in the closet. Overall, it was still a nice read, but I wished it had been better. More action or som
Christelle
What I loved :
* Tristan : he’s kind, he’s strong and dedicated, he’s combative but fair, he’s honest, he’s easy-going, he’s funny.
* The banter : it always works for me.
* Opposites attract
* Age gap
* Hockey player
* The development of the relationship between Tristan and Sebastian : it takes place over a few month, it’s believable, no drama, but issues that are to be addressed and are to my liking. Oh, and quite steamy, of course :-)

I can’t really explain : something was missing for me to make it
Ami
I am going to say that it's TWO for TWO for me, when it comes to Avon Gale & Piper Vaughn's writing partnership, after Permanent Ink. Because I loved this one as well!

Off the Ice is the first book of the new trilogy, Hat Trick, featuring Tristan Holt, a defenseman for Atlanta Venom, and Sebastian Cruz, sociology professor at Georgia State. It has a number of tropes that may attract readers of this genre. Let's see ... student/teacher, age-gap, d/s kink ... and well, hockey players!

The two m
Dia
3,5 stars

I'm again in the minority here, as almost all my GR friends loved it.
I'm not a big fan of hockey er even sports stories, but I loved Him and Illegal Contact. I also loved Permanent Ink by this writing duo, so I wanted to give this book a try.

For the most part I enjoyed this story. It contains a lot of the things I usually love in books: age-gap, mild BDSM, opposite attract, teacher/student trope, BUT somehow this couple wasn't credible.

Tristan is a 23 y.o. hockey player in the NHL.
Ky
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, read-2017, net-galley
Off the Ice is so much more than a sports romance. It's a coming out story. It's a story about making choices. About friendships. About family. It's basically the story of a relationship.

So, we have a teacher, we have a pro athlete and we have a summer class. Although they met in said class, that was taught by Sebastian and that Tristan was attending, this is not a student/teacher romance. They were attracted to each other from the beginning but nothing happened between them while the class was
Eugenia
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Avon Gale—I love her. This book, however, I did not love. Maybe I had high expectations from her incredible Scoring Chances series. I expected humor, hockey, hot sex, and characters I liked.

Piper Vaughn—I know little as a writer, having only read one of her books before this collaboration. I didn’t much care for that one.

Here I got a little hockey, some hot sex, two parts that made me laugh (I counted), and only one MC I cared about. Sorry, Sebastian, I just didn’t much like you. You were pompou
ReadingAllNite
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, arc-read, netgalley
I’ve actually felt some overkill lately with hockey stories, but I was confident of quality writing from this author collaboration and I was right. They freshened up the closeted pro athlete trope and gave it a level of realism that’s not always present. Tristan is a smarter kind of athlete, working to finish his degree despite the sudden wealth and notoriety of playing in the NFL. Sebastian is a sociology professor, looking for tenure and he makes note of the big blond jock in his class, in the ...more
Gabby
"Perception always changed the more you learned about a person, whether it be their sexuality, political views, or the way they treated homeless people on the street."

This book was cute, but nothing really stood out to me. This book should have been a homerun five star book for me because it has a lot of my favorite things: 1) student/teacher romance, 2) forbidden romance, 3) lgbt romance, 4) hockey player character, 5) age gap between the two man love interests. And this book was cute, don'
CrabbyPatty
Note: Carina Press is re-issuing "Hat Trick" on March 25, 2019 with a great new cover and it has been "newly refreshed by the authors."

My initial review of "Hat Trick" is shown below with a rating of 4 stars. Upon re-reading the book, I realized just how much I enjoyed this story of two men who has an incredibly steamy kinky relationship coupled with a deep connection of love and respect. I appreciated once again their careful negotiations on coming out.

While I'm not sure exactly how the story w
Dani
Age gap, student-professor dynamics, complex characters and funny dialogues. What else would I want?

Sebastian Cruz is the hot and scowly professor that had my heart at full speed. Tristan Holt is a professional hockey player that decided to go back to school to have a backup plan in case things go south with hockey.

From the first pages, I was hooked. I don't know if it was because this was partly Avon's work or what, but I loved every second of it. The dialogues were witty and the plot was fas
Teal
After a fun, zippy start in typical Avon Gale style, this stalled out about mid-way through and deflated into dull, uneventful telling.

And in the midst of that tedium came a sex scene where Sebastian keeps hitting Tristan in the face. Welp, that was it for me. To each his own kink, but for me that was about as sexy as watching someone strangle puppies. The relationship was dead for me at that point so I just skimmed the rest, trying to get it all over with as quickly as possible. I've enjoyed m
Eva ☆
Jun 15, 2020 rated it liked it
This book is really fun, the characters in this book are all very cute and I managed to care for the main couple, the bad part? The book has many more pages than was necessary in my opinion. Things kind of dragged on ...

In this book we are introduced to Tristan and Sebastian, Tristan is a player on a professional hockey team and wants to finish college, Sebastian is a teacher in one of the classes he has to pass. Although Sebastian teaches basically about prejudices in society, he makes the mist
Catherine
Between the trope-y goodness of Keira Andrews' Kidnapped by the Pirate and now Avon Gale and Piper Vaughn's Off the Ice, I have been absolutely spoiled by the m/m romance genre this week. Seriously, I am riding quite the book high right now!

This book was full of sexy times. No, I don't mean the humiliation kink or the student/teacher dynamic or the spanking or the alluded to public sex over the hood of a vintage GTO (although all of those things got my motor running in a big way); I'm talking ab
Annie ~ Queer Books Unbound
*I was a first reader for this*

To say that I loved this would be the understatement of the year. And that's not only because inspiration for one of the characters was Colton Parayko (one of my favourite hockey players) - though that might play into it.
But also because Sebastian Cruz is one amazingly grumpy, hot professor and the chemistry between both of them is palpable and just off the charts. Add hockey to the mix and I'm in book-heaven.

The Avon Gale / Piper Vaughn writing-team just works.
Sanaa
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, m-m, arc, sports-romance
4.25 stars.

Let me just take a quick moment to appreciate this book. It was really good. I wasn't the biggest fan of some of the humiliation kink but I can overlook that.

I'm also a huge fan of the student/teacher and their chemistry was off the charts! This might be my first or second by the duo so I'm really looking forward to the next book in the series.

• Tough Guy (Game Changers, #3)
  • Game Changer (Game Changers, #1)
  • Heated Rivalry (Game Changers, #2)
  • The Nature of the Game (Stick Side #2)
  • Shots on Goal (Stick Side #3)
  • On the Ice (Stick Side, #1)
  • Power Plays & Straight A's (CU Hockey #1)
  • Winging It
  • Crashing the Net (Crashing, #1)
  • Spotlight (Famous #2)
  • Changing the Rules (Crashing, #3)
  • Roughing (Portland Seabirds, #1)
  • The Rivalry
  • Pop Star (Famous #1)
  • Blindsided (Fake Boyfriend #4)
  • Hat Trick (Fake Boyfriend #5)
  • Home & Away
  • Say You’ll Be Nine (Say You'll Be Nine, #1)
Avon Gale lives in a liberal Midwestern college town, where she spends her days getting heavily invested in everything from craft projects to video games. She likes road trips by car, rock concerts, thunderstorms, IPAs, Kentucky bourbon and tattoos. As a queer author, Avon is committed to providing happy endings for all and loves to tell stories that focus on found families, strong and open commun ...more

Hat Trick (3 books)
  • Goalie Interference (Hat Trick, #2)
  • Trade Deadline (Hat Trick, #3)