Start by marking “Sightwitch (The Witchlands, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Sightwitch (The Witchlands, #0.5)

Sightwitch

(The Witchlands #0.5)

From New York Times bestselling author Susan Dennard, Sightwitch is an illustrated novella set in the Witchlands and told through Ryber’s journal entries and sketches.

Before Safi and Iseult battled a Bloodwitch...

Before Merik returned from the dead…

Ryber Fortiza was a Sightwitch Sister at a secluded convent, waiting to be called by her goddess into the depths of the mounta
Published February 13th 2018 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about Sightwitch, please sign up.
Miranda Carfora Nope! If I were you, I would highly recommend reading this in the order of release. The story will not be as special out of order! Read after wind wit…moreNope! If I were you, I would highly recommend reading this in the order of release. The story will not be as special out of order! Read after wind witch the second of the series!!(less)

Start your review of Sightwitch (The Witchlands, #0.5)
✨ A ✨
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: This book is essential to the series. DO NOT SKIP
I can't believe I thought Ryber was an insignificant side character. I did not know what part she played and goodness it was amazing to find out about her past with the Sightwitch's and the events that led her to Kullen.

This book was spilt into two timelines. The first was that of Ryber. The second was Eridysi's - set 1000 years before.

Now I was a bit confused. Because in Truthwitch and Windwitch there were mentions of Eridysi's lament. And in this book we find out who she was and what role she
Alyssa
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-releases
5 stars. Possibly my favorite installment of the series, which is interesting because it isn't even a full-length novel. Susan Dennard (and the team at Tor) did an amazing job with this book!

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Sightwitch by Susan Dennard
Book 0.5 of the Witchlands series
Publisher: Tor Teen
Publication Date: February 13, 2018
Rating: 5 stars
Source: Review copy from the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Set a year before Truthwitch, Sightwitch follows Ryber Fortiza, the la
Alaina
Why hello re-read!

Sightwitch was slightly better the second time around. So, yes, it did earn another star from me.. but sadly, I was still bored. Weirdly enough, I enjoyed the past POV's more than anything. Maybe it's because they just caught my attention.. but the little background information was a nice surprise since I'm very intrigued to dive into Bloodwitch!

Besides all of the info, I feel like the characters were just blah to me. I did connect a little bit with some but that wasn't really
Hayley
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars (I think i should just rate these books 5 stars because the reasonings for knocking .5 stars (slow for me to get into and didn’t connect with story right away) off are just futile)

THIS BOOK BLEW ME AWAY

THE EASTER EGGS FOUND IN THIS BOOK AND THE CONNECTIONS BETWEEN TRUTHWITCH AND WINDWITCH HAD ME SHOOKETH TO THE CORE

EVERYTHING MAKES SENSE NOW, EVEN WHEN I DIDN’T REALISE I NEEDED A REASON FOR SOME THINGS TO MAKE SENSE.

This book could either be book 0.5 or book 2.5 as the fact that this b
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/02/03/...

I don’t know what it is about the Witchlands series, but both novels that are out thus far have received middling ratings from me when I reviewed them, and yet I just keep coming back for more! Still, if I had to guess, I would credit the simply sublime world Susan Dennard has created. Say what you will about her storytelling and characters, but the incredible imagination and effort that she has put into the world-building
Beatrice in Bookland
"Paths do not come to you. You have to find them for yourself, and sometimes, you have to carve new ones entirely."

1) Truthwitch ★★★★★
2) Windwitch ★★★★★

Not amazing, but enjoyable nonetheless!

I really liked Ryber. She's strong, smart, ready to fight for her loved ones and she never gives up. I hope she finds her happy ending at the end of the series. And I liked Kullen, too.

But to me what makes the series so special (BESIDES AEDUAN AND ISEULT MY BEAUTIFUL OTP) are the friendships. Ryber and Tanzi
Connor
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The audiobook is the way to go with this one. The narrators were all fantastic, and I could really feel the characters’ emotions coming through with Dennard’s writing combined with capable narrators. The downside was I didn’t get to see all the illustrations, but that’s just because I borrow audiobooks with my library app.

I love interesting world building, and this novella delivers. It really adds to the fabric of the Witchlands, and you get lots of history of the world before the main series t
Amy Leigh
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This is more of a story for people who are already invested in the witchland series. It's a prequel book so it's not as long as the other two books but has great info about who they are and how they are created. I bought this book after reading this excerpt so I do recommend for fans of the series! The cover is gorgeous too! This definitely can be read before the other two books but it's more informative than story continuation so I would recommend reading it after the first book Truthwitch at l ...more
Robin (Bridge Four)
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Is a 0.5 novella something you should read in a series? Well, it depends on the series in question, and for the Witchlands series, I would say definitely yes, but you don’t want to read it first.  That is also the tricky part of adding a prequel to a series later. When should your readers actually read it?  For Sightwitch ,I would say that you should have at least read Truthwitch to have a semi-understanding of threads, cleaving and some
Suzanne
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love this series so much! It is so fascinating! This is a quick little prequel that just adds to the story. I enjoyed it very much and to me it was so magically written. It had a high fantasy feel for such a short, YA book. This only takes a few hours to read but is a great book to get readers through the wait for the next book!

My quick and simple overall: magical and fascinating!
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
I hope that you are super pumped to get some more of Susan Dennard’s The Witchlands series into your life because you are not going to want to miss this amazing novella! Sightwitch is so much more than a little novella. This whirlwind of a book has a format that is sort of like a scrapbook. It contains some incredible world building, interesting characters, and enough breadcrumbs to satisfy the hungriest fans of the series.

If you have been following the blog for a while, you will know that novel
Mayim de Vries
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
”Paths do not come to you. You have to find them for yourself, and sometimes, you have to carve new ones entirely.”

Remember the Illuminae Files? Well, this one aims at the Sightwitch Files.
And misses.

There are two main reasons why Sightwitch can be recommended to the hardcore fandom only: format and format (with soft plagiarism in the background).

Sightwitch is a first-person diary entry format embellished here and there with other forms of writing like legends, songs and prayers, random docume
Tilly
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fantastic extra story that gives extra depth to a few of the characters in Truthwitch.
I adore this series so it was nice to read more background to the sightwitches.
I loved the book but thought the illustrations could have been better.
Alexandra Elend Wolf
3.5 Stars

This reminded me of how little I remember of The Witchlands series, so yes, I was a bit lost at times, but I actually remembered everything quite quickly. It also reminded me of how much I love this world.

It took me a little bit to figure out when the story was being told, but after that, it was quite easy to get into it.

The beginning is quite slow though, it wasn'
RainySun
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was so good. Really enjoyed the way it was written and the illustration throughout it.

I am really enjoying the world building in this series, although the second book wasn't the best. This novella was really good, and has so much informaton about the history of the world, would definitely say this novella is a must read for this series. So much important information. I am very interested in seeing how this will be in effect in bloodwitch. because Kullen O.o
Raquel Flockhart
“Paths do not come to you. You have to find them for yourself, and sometimes, you have to carve new ones entirely.”

I honestly don’t know how she does it but, with every book I read of The Witchlands series, Susan Dennard manages to fascinate me even more with the intricate world she has created and with the complex plot around which this series revolves. And I can assure you that this novella isn’t an exception.

Sightwitch is a story about Ryber Fortiza before the events that take place in Tr

Sandra (LadyGrey Reads)
History might easily be rewritten, but someone somewhere always remembers what truly happened.

Can I just say how much I love this world? I mean, when you first go into it you might get a bit confused about all the witch types, but holy damn this place is incredible!

Ryber is someone that I didn't feel like I quite understood in the full-length novels. She felt more like a side-character, someone there to be the romantic interest of Kullen, so I was instantly intrigued when this book was revealed
Jennifer Ellision
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Looooooved. I ADORE this series. (I've also been playing a lot of Dragon Age: Inquisition lately, so this book's maps, text excerpts, etc reminded me of the different codexes and finding my way through a quest which was an aspect I really enjoyed)
Fares
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hmmm I have some issues with this but it also was good!
First of all, you should know that this novella is essential if you plan on reading this series!

There's so much history in this, and therein lies the problem. Why would leave the previous books lacking and shove it all in this small story?! Not only I almost skipped this but tbh there were moments in the previous books that I lost interest and wanted more!
Besides that, the book is basically told thru dreams and memories of two characters wri
Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5
Holyyyyyy shit. My brain is exploding
---
Now that I've slept a few hours though my brain keeps spinning. Like I read on Tumblr that Sooz said you should read this because then you'll understand some of the big reveals in Bloodwitch such as:
-Who Aeduan’s mom really is
-Who Aeduan’s dad really is
DOES THIS MEAN WHAT I THINK IT MEANS?! I mean there was that *saying* said and then when she went into that particular room she only saw two small shadows in the ice and there were two bigger openings so
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
A fun, unique novella for the Witchlands series - loved the illustrations, maps and diagrams and the diary entries to tell a story. I adore Ryber and how she's a stickler for rules, but learns to break free of them in order to become a Sightwitch. Kullen makes an appearance but he's more of a side character. Definitely worthwhile reading before the next book in the series comes out!

Full review to come.
Staci (stacisbookishprobs)
I did think I was gonna love this more than I did but I found the beginning kind of boring and slow so I thought this would be like a solid 3 Star but then all the good stuff started happening and I was here for it! This is definitely one of my all time favorite series now! I love that world and the atmosphere of these books! Ryber is everything she’s so strong and brave and I can’t wait to get to know her more in the later books
Saniya
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS SERIES SO MUCH SO SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tana 🌻 Cozyreadings
22/05/2020

I had debated if it was necessary to reread this before going on to Bloodwitch, and yes. Yes it is vey much necessary. It explains some things that are happening in the story, and starts other storylines at the same time. I really hope more of this gets explained in the next books, because i still have so many questions.

22/06/2018
This was so good?? I really need the next book in the series, there are so many questions that are left unanswered
Lauren Stoolfire
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
I can't say I expected to enjoy this novella the most of anything in this series. I'm really impressed by how much this series has grown on me since Truthwitch. I'm really looking forward to Bloodwitch.
Vanessa ♛Queen Alchemy ϟ Novel Nerd Faction♛
I am so glad that I decided to read this before reading Bloodwitch. This is one of the best companion novels that I have read. The amount of additional world-building in this book is astounding. There is so much history and backstory. I really enjoyed both Ryber and Eridysi's stories and I can see how they both have such significance to the overall series storyline. Reading this has really opened my eyes to so many things and made me ask just as many questions. Susan Dennard is an absolute world ...more
Tara ☽
Jul 13, 2019 rated it liked it
~3 Stars

This was a really interesting addition to the world of The Witchlands that answered a lot of my questions from the previous books but then left me with burning new ones. This world has expanded so much since Truthwitch and I think I can confidently say right now that it's one of the most sophisticated, detailed fantasy series in current YA.

More and more novellas in YA series are becoming necessary reading where before they were generally optional additions that superfans could read if th
Sara Saif
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it

You know, it's really sad. I used to re-read before I discovered Goodreads which led me to discover how vast and never-ending this world of books really is. Those days were chill even if I read only 5 books a year. At least I could pick up the books I liked again and again and did not have to worry about the infinite number of books waiting to be read. Sigh.
I read more than 10 books each year at least which are part of a series. With the 365 day gap between the books in a series it's nigh imposs

Rachel
Mar 18, 2020 rated it liked it
*3.5 Stars

A nice addition to the series!
Madi
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
And this book did nothing for me. Read it cause y'all said I had to before bloodwitch but honestly I'm more confused than anything else. But first read of FantasyAThon done!

• Sorcery of Thorns
  • Aurora Burning (The Aurora Cycle, #2)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Everyday Angel: Three Novels
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)
  • House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • Kingsbane (Empirium, #2)
  • Darkdawn (The Nevernight Chronicle, #3)
  • King of Scars (Nikolai Duology, #1)
Susan Dennard has come a long way from small-town Georgia. With a masters degree in marine biology, she got to travel the world—six out of seven continents, to be exact (she’ll get to Asia one of these days!)—before she settled down as a full-time novelist and writing instructor.

She is the author of the New York Times bestselling Witchlands series as well as the Something Strange & Deadly series.

The Witchlands (5 books)
  • Truthwitch (The Witchlands, #1)
  • Windwitch (The Witchlands, #2)
  • Bloodwitch (The Witchlands, #3)
  • Witchshadow (The Witchlands, #4)
  • Untitled (The Witchlands, #5)