Start by marking “The Cauldron Stirred (Guardians of Erin, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Cauldron Stirred (Guardians of Erin, #1)

The Cauldron Stirred

(Guardians of Erin #1)

Ashling Donoghue never dreamed moving to Ireland would rock her perception of reality and plunge her into a mystery that brings legend to life.

At seventeen, she’s never had a boyfriend, but she feels an immediate connection to Aengus Breasal, the son of the wealthy Irishman who’s invited her family to stay at his Killarney estate. For the first time in her life, a guy she
Published July 21st 2017

To ask other readers questions about The Cauldron Stirred, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cauldron Stirred

Start your review of The Cauldron Stirred (Guardians of Erin, #1)
Carvanz
Audiobook: Narrator - Jenny Beesley

This narrator was perfect for the story. Not sure how old she is, but she fit perfectly for the 17 year old heroine. Her accents were wonderful. I’m no expert so I don’t know if they were correct, just that I enjoyed them! And there were even some sound effects that surprised and delighted me.

description

Wow! This was an amazing story!!! I knew going in it was Young Adult and I’m not really a fan, but holy heck...everything else about this story was incredible! It’s obvio
N.N. Light
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a re-read for me. I love everything about this book, from the mystical elements to the characters to the sweet romance budding between the heroine and the mysterious hero. What makes this a must re-read for me is the world building. I love escaping to Judith Sterling's Ireland. In fact, I want to go back right now. lol!

My Rating: 5 stars

Reviewed by: Mrs. N
N.N. Light
Being uprooted to a foreign country so your mother can study an ancient manuscript would be the end of the world for many teenagers but not Ashling. From the moment she lands in Ireland, Ashling has the feeling she’s home, only she’s never been to the Emerald Isle before. Strange dreams haunt her while one look at the handsome, yet mysterious Aengus has her heart racing. When she follows him to the forest in dark of night, a whole new world she never knew opens before her. Has she plunged down t ...more
Carole Burant
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Words cannot express how much I enjoyed reading this book, I'm upset with myself that I didn't read it sooner!! Judith Sterling has a way of writing that just sucks you right into the story and makes you want to go and experience the places she mentions. While reading, I was also looking online for information about such places like the Oweynagat Cave, the Ross castle, Inisfallen, etc., all absolutely fascinating!

So much mystery surrounds Ashling and her family when they arrive in Ireland and l
C Becker
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In The Cauldron Stirred (Guardians of Erin Book 1) Judith Sterling writes a beautiful and exciting story of Ireland, transporting the reader to times long ago while shifting easily back to present day. Before the December holidays I won this story in a raffle and put it at the end of my reading list. Big mistake. I regret not reading it sooner. I couldn’t put it down once I started reading it. I love the characters, the dialogue flow, and the explanations of the spiritual world connecting throug ...more
Tena Stetler
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I don’t synopsize the book, the book blurb does that for you. Check it out.
What I liked about the book: Set in Ireland its characters are well rounded and believable. The story moves at a fast past. The descriptions make you feel like you were right there with the characters through their adventures. I love it when a book makes me feel a part of the story. You’ll find mystery, romance, fantasy and twists you don’t see coming inside the tale.
If you like paranormal romance/ fan
Dawn
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads-won
I received a copy of this book for free through a giveaway at Goodreads.com.

"The Cauldron Stirred" is one of those books that just feels good to read. Is it because of the writing? Partly. Is it the story? Somewhat. Is it down to the characters? Yes, they can take some of the credit!
Judith Sterling's writing has a warmth to it that I really appreciated.
The story is fairly simple in that it's easy to keep track of everything going on.
The characters are... well, for the most part they felt a bit l
Mary
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a lover of Ireland and Irish mythology, I was swept away to this country along with the Donoghue family. Though the story centers on Ashling Donoghue and Aengus Breasal, I enjoyed all the other characters. They added depth, especially when mysterious secrets are revealed. Even though this is a young adult novel, Ms. Sterling weaves a beautiful tale with her writing, and I was captured! I’m looking forward to the next book in this phenomenal series!
Dee/ bookworm
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Cauldron Stirred is a surreal fantasy full of adventure, a hint of romance, a lot of mystery. The book does end in a bit of a cliffhanger so naturally I want the next edition now... The main character was easy to identify with, however the situations she goes through are hard to imagine and sometimes follow. I am eager to see how the rest of the series unfolds. :)

I received an advance reader copy in exchange for a fair review.
Gizelle Iworth
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ashling Donoghue and her family are destined to get mixed up in the fantastical world of Ireland when they go on an adventure filled with myths and mystery.

I love any mythology and Judith Sterling integrated ancient Irish Mythology brilliantly into her novel. Although I am not an expert with all the lore, I loved learning more about it. Leprechauns, Unicorns, Fairies, the Otherworld and even ghosts. The book was informative and magical, as we learned all about Irish Mythology alongside Ashling.
Wendy
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
Review also on my blog: https://nextbookaroundthecorner.wordp...

You know the saying "Don't judge a book by its cover"? Well it certainly applies to The Cauldron Stirred. When I saw the cover on Netgalley, it didn't immediately appeal, it looked a bit boring. But since I had already read a book of Judith Sterling (Soul of the Wolf), I decided to request the arc.

And boy, was I glad to have had my hands on this one! Judith Sterling does an excellent job in creating a magical world with leprechauns,
Jantine
Sep 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I received a free copy through Netgalley in return for an honest review.

'The Cauldron Stirred' is an enjoyable novella about a girl who comes to Ireland with her family, and who finds out she is more unusual than she thought she would be. I really liked the characters, they were portrayed so real that I felt like I knew them at the end of the book. The references to ghost hunting were kind of nice too (although I found them to be over the top at some points either, they were needed for the story
Christine Grabowski
As a mother always on the lookout for appropriate books for my 14-year old daughter, this one is great. Although the main character, Ashling, is 17, there isn't anything I would be concerned with in the book. The author does a good job of blending present day with Irish myth and the descriptions of otherworld, middleworld and netherworld were just plain cool. Also the setting descriptions were one of the strongest parts of the writing and made me want to travel to Ireland. If I had to say anythi ...more
Georgia Tumbleweed McNabb
I really enjoyed this story and the characters in it. Set on Irland you start out with a story about a Woman who transcribes old manuscripts. This woman gets invited to Irland with her entire family while she spends time transcribing a manuscript. The story seems to be surrounding the oldest daughter and the son of the Irishman who invited them in the 1st place.
C.M. Truxler
Once you start, you'll not let go. Judith Sterling opens readers eyes to worlds with no boundries. The characters are alive and real while dealing with circumstances that swirl with experiences of other than.

The plot flows like the natural magic that exists in all beings. "The Cauldron Stirred", book one in the Guardians of Erin series will pull readers into worlds that envelope them in the tale surrounding Aengus and Ashling.

This book will hold readers' attention to the very end and have then
Donna Simonetta
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book on vacation last week, and it was a great read! It has mystery, romance, and fantasy elements. The Irish setting allows for interesting and fun Irish myth and legend components. This is a YA book, but I'm an adult and enjoyed it thoroughly. It reminded me a little of Phyllis A. Whitney's YA books that I enjoyed in my younger days! The descriptive writing pulled me into the story, and the fantasy world Sterling created. I can't wait for book 2 in the series!
D. MacMurray
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully crafted tale with so much to recommend it. There's first love, Celtic myth, lush descriptions of Irish locations, fun characters, snappy dialogue, suspense, etc. I could go on and on. Just a great story!
Barry Moraller
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a quick, fun book that reminded me of nothing so much as a Disney family movie watched on a rainy Saturday with my family combined with a teenage coming of age story.
W.L. Brooks
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
A quick and enjoyable YA read! Set in beautiful Ireland, this story is packed with descriptive scenery, mystery, ghosts, budding romance, and "otherworld" magic. I'm looking forward to returning to these characters in the next Guardians of Erin novel.
Amey Zeigler
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clean-sweet, young-ya
Cool story if you love Irish legends and lore! The characters were interesting and engaging. I enjoyed how the author entwined a bunch of the myths!
Galina Sulaiman
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaway-win
Ashling is a teenage girl that's never had a boyfriend. She and her family travel to Ireland and end up on a mythical adventure. Loved the mythology of this book coming to life. Well written, full of creative characters. Very good book.
Heather
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book

Lovely read ... Where mythology and legends come alive . Very captivating and I loved how this author added hy Brasil into this novel . I'm hoping a book 2 is coming soon i also mourned for the parents and wanna know where they went.. Must read if you love Irish myth n legends
DB  (DB's Guide to the Galaxy)
The Cauldron Stirred
Judith Stirling
Stars: 3
Disclaimer: I received this e-arc from Netgalley and The Wild Rose Press, Inc in exchange for my free and honest review. All opinions expressed are my own.

This book was an average read for the most part. I really liked the plot and setting and I felt like I was there, alongside the characters – which is why I flock to fantasy – because I like to feel like I’m there. The plot was well-written – I liked the mystery aspect and I definitely enjoyed the pa
Jessica Squires
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So I wasn't sure what I was expecting with this but I wasn't expecting this. This is an amazing world building story with lots of little twists. Jenny Beesley is probably the best narrator I've come across to date! If there is a thud, instead of reading something dropped there is an audible thud. Same thing with screams or knocks. Absolutely amazing. Judith Sterling wrote a beautiful story full of irish lore and myth. She weaves everything together beautifully and really brings the landscape and ...more
Amanda
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good beginning. I love the story and wish I had gotten book 2. I got this book through StoryOrigin and this is my voluntary and honest review.
Kristen Meierer
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot wait until the next book in this emerging series comes out. For fantasy book lovers, this is a must read. Judith Sterling masterfully creates a place that you will want to return to again and again.
Judith Sterling
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I had so much fun writing this story, the first in my four-book series, Guardians of Erin. My inspiration was a set of circumstances similar to what the protagonist, Ashling Donoghue, experiences at the beginning of the story: (1) sudden and inexplicable homesickness for Ireland, a country I hadn't visited or given much thought to before then; (2) speaking Irish, a language I'd never learned, in my sleep; and (3) total certainty that I would--and in fact HAD TO--travel there. I was 17 at the tim ...more
Shauna
May 14, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
This book was just ok for me. I think the premise is great, but it felt rushed and could have been better if more time was taken in the buildup and details. The narration was ok. A little too whiny at times and while i enjoy sound effects, either do a lot or none at all. The very few, random effects were good, just needed more if sound effects are being used. I received a free copy in exchange for review.
abonaca
May 03, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
At first I liked how sincere the characters felt, but then it started being too much of a YA (insta love!), with no sense of wonder as the world was being built (probably because this happened in an information dump that was received with an "okay, so that's how it is", and was followed by Mary Sue-like exploits immediately after).
Sharon
Jan 04, 2019

• High Fae Academy: Year One
  • Citadels of Fire (Kremlins #1)
  • Dressed in White (Colors of Scandal Book 1)
  • Once Upon a Quest (Once Upon a..., #1)
  • The Shadow of a Dream
  • Raven Thrall (Legends of the Ceo San #1)
  • Healer's Sacrifice (Legends of the Ceo San Stories #1)
  • Pretty Little Werewolf (Little Werewolf, #1)
  • Mother of the Chosen (The Chosen #1)
  • Magnus  (Viking Surrender #5)
  • Lowcountry Incantations
  • Blood of a Fallen God
  • The Haunting of Hillwood Farm
  • Outcast (Hathor Legacy, #1)
  • Magical Midlife Madness (Leveling Up #1)
  • Lost (Live Fire #3)
  • Spells, Salt, & Steel (Spells, Salt, & Steel #1)
  • Open Season (Spells, Salt, & Steel #2)
Judith Sterling is an award-winning author whose love of history and passion for the paranormal infuse everything she writes. Whether penning medieval romance (The Novels of Ravenwood) or young adult paranormal fantasy (the Guardians of Erin series), her favorite themes include true love, destiny, time travel, healing, redemption, and finding the hidden magic which exists all around us. She loves ...more

Guardians of Erin (3 books)
  • The Stone Awakened (Guardians of Erin, #2)
  • The Sword Unsheathed (Guardians of Erin, #3)