Start by marking “Meet Me at Number Five” as Want to Read:
Meet Me at Number Five

Meet Me at Number Five

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  53 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
For fans of Jilly Cooper, Fiona Walker and Jane Lovering. You'll adore this fabulous debut.
What if finding happiness was a race against time?
Grace Cavendish knows a thing or two about horses – but what she doesn’t know is that her husband, top horse racing trainer Charlie Carrisbrook, is having a literal ‘roll in the hay’ right under her nose.

When the painful truth is
Published June 18th 2017 by Choc Lit

To ask other readers questions about Meet Me at Number Five, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meet Me at Number Five

Melindam
Netgalley Arc provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Seeing the cover of this book meant loving it and wanting to read it. Fortunately the content did not disappoint either.

It is a very pleasant cocktail of romance, horse-racing, family saga, cheating & intrigue in the right proportions.

The plot reminded me a bit of Jilly Cooper books, which was a welcome sensation as I love her novels in a guilty-pleasure kind of way, but this was a lighter, easier read altogether.

Funni
Rae
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Debut novelist and Choc lit search for a star winner, Lisa Hill, begins her debut novel, Meet Me at Number Five, with a scene so gut-wrenchingly unfair that only a hard-hearted reader could fail to empathise with her heroine, race horse trainer, Grace Cavendish. And so right from the starting line, we are willing Grace’s lying, devious husband to get the comeuppance he deserves. But Grace isn’t the only character with problems to resolve, there’s her divorced cousin Hennie, as well as the matria ...more
Els
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
The title and cover were very attactrive to me. It gave me the feeling : 'grab me now and read me' and I listened. For me the first few sentences make me like or dislike a book and this book took me by the hand and I went on a journey full of emotions.
Chick lit is often put in a category of books for dummies and it is true that sometimes the some characters are a bit naive but there is so much more in those books. There is space for laughter and fun but also for heavy subjects and pain.
How sad
Karen Mace
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is Graces' story! And what a story it is! I thought it was going to be a gentile look at life behind the scenes of a top racehorse trainer, with the glamour of race day mixed in but boy was I wrong! Life at a stables is very high paced and Graces' husband Charlie is a highly thought of trainer but a bit of a sleazebag as a husband! And when she founds out about his dalliance with a stable girl, she moves out of the family home - her family home! - and moves in with her Nana, who seems to ru ...more
Fay Keenan
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Horses, hotties and a hunter called Cavendish House...what more could you want in a novel?

Meet Me at Number Five is that perfect blend of drama, romance and pacy storytelling that I absolutely love. The story centres around three women; Grace, who discovers her husband Charlie virtually in flagrante with one of the stable hands, when they're already having conception troubles of their own; Hennie, divorced mother of two who has renounced men (until she meets the gorgeous Texan farrier Guy, that
Bookgyrl
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley, choc-lit
I loved this book! It started out with Grace learning her husband Charlie has cheated on her and his new girlfriend is pregnant. While she is having IVF treatment herself. Angry, hurt and upset she leaves her home (HER childhood home) and moves in with her grandmother Clara. Her cousin Hennie also lives with Clara after a nasty divorce.

Grace finds herself a job, meets charming Sam and Hennie also has romantic entanglements. All the while Clara is having her own secrets and is trying to do what'
Susan Roebuck
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Grace and Charlie have been undergoing IVF in the attempt to have a baby. Grace is about to undergo the final stages when she discovers Charlie has been having a relationship with one of the stable hands.

Grace immediately leaves him and goes to stay with her grandmother where another cousin is staying.

Lovely ease of reading, the plot flows along with characters just that bit larger than life that makes them memorable. Grace owns the training stables at Cheltenham but Charlie is the manager and
Joanne
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Meet Me at Number Five won ChocLit's Search for a Star 2016 and I can quite understand why - it's brilliant! Grace Carrisbrook is just about to undergo IVF treatment when she is devastated to discover that her racehorse trainer husband, Charlie, has been having an affair with one of the stable girls. Stunned, she flees what is her childhood home to live with her grandmother Clara and cousin Hennie. Hennie is a single mum to two young children which is quite difficult for Grace, having just had h ...more
Gaele
Oh this book had everything that I want in a story; compelling characters, a smattering of romance, a struggle that everyone can get behind and even a touch of loss that brings everyone together. Lisa Hill set this story around a racing family: generations managed by the matriarch Clara: a woman with strong opinions and a stronger will, the story quickly draws the reader in and instantly provides a touch of drama and a clear-cut villain. When you add in the stories of three women working through ...more
Jeannie Zelos
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Meet Me at Number Five, Lisa Hill

Review from Jeannie Zelos book reviews

Genre: women's fiction, Romance

What a terrific debut!! I find I almost always love Choclit publications, so where I'm sometimes wary of debut reads, the Choclit tag tips the balance. I'll read debuts happily without reviewing, but if the book and I don't gel, I feel so guilty giving a low star review so early in someone's writing ideals.

I love horses, so have over the years devoured lots of horse based stories. The premise f
Marsha Spohn
Reviewed at Keeper Bookshelf

Karma. Such a fickle thing. But you’ll be waiting for karma to come along and bite one particular sleazy, no good jerk on the butt… and hope for painful teeth marks to be at the very least one result.

Grace and Charlie were trying for a baby, now through IVF. It was the weekend before the big day and Grace was full of nerves and excitement. Unfortunately her joy would soon turn to devastation when she’s told that Charlie already has a baby on the way… to another woman
Joanna Lambert
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this debut novel from Lisa Hill. Set in the beautiful county of Gloucestershire, we are invited into the world of the Cavendish family. Matriarch Clara is 79, the doyenne of horse racing and a well-known owner and breeder. Currently her two granddaughters are living with her. Hemmie has left her trainer husband in Dubai and is seeking a divorce vowing she wants nothing more to do with men. Grace has just moved out of the family property Farrier’s Reach after discovering her trai ...more
Melanie Griffiths
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A book that I don't want to put down doesn't come along that often but I must admit to spending time reading 'Meet Me at Number Five' whilst I really should have been doing lots of other things, then of course attempting to read "just one chapter" before bed which turns into about ten chapters!

From the involuntary sharp intake of breath moment in chapter one, I was hooked by Lisa Hill's colourful character descriptions and went on to accompany these characters through all the ranges of emotion
Ionia
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Although this is a romance, it wasn't the romantic scenes or themes in the book that kept me reading this, it was all the other events going on in the story. The romance itself wasn't terrible, but was a bit predictable and things moved at lightning speed between the characters, which, made it hard for me to suspend belief.

Still, this book had stupendous descriptions. The author ensures that her readers use their five senses thoroughly while reading this. I loved the way she described the place
Sally Coles
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Grace is about to undergo IVF treatment when her husband Charlie announces that he doesn't want to go ahead with it as he has already got one of the stable girls pregnant! Devastated Grace runs away and goes to her Nana Clara to stay, leaving behind her inheritance The Farriers and the racing yard.

Clara is a tower of strength to her granddaughter - she already has Hennie her other granddaughter complete with 2 children staying with her - and despite having her own problems she is determined that
Melena Torretta
Aug 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, netgalley-arcs
This book took me awhile to get into. Once I did the plot moved along at a fairly quick pace.

Centering on the lives of Hennie, Grace, and their grandmother Clara, Meet Me at Number Five was a fun read. Sometimes though there was too much jumping around in whose perspective the story was being told from. I would be left with the feeling that I wanted to know more about what was happening in a person's thoughts or a particular situation and it wouldn't be covered again.

Clara was hilarious and she
Linda
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Grace's nightmare has become a reality. After desperately trying for a baby, she finds her husband Charlie, has gotten the stable girl pregnant!

Leaving her family home, she is taken in by her grandmother Clara and cousin Hennie. Clara is no fool when it comes to matters of the heart or deceiving men! Her past has taught her a few things and her fortune right along with it.

When the dust settles, there is much more to Grace's Charlie then they knew. With the help of the new farrier, family and fri
Deepa
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Meet Me at Number Five is an excellent debut novel from Lisa Hill. It is a heartwarming look at the life of a female racing dynasty ruled by the formidable matriarch, Clara. It follows the lives of Clara and her two grandchildren, Grace and Hennie with their various struggles in life and love. At times the romances for Hennie and Grace seemed contrived and rather clichéd and I felt that it was confusing having too many main characters to follow. However, reading the book was a bit like drinking ...more
Stacey
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Instead of Grace’s world looking up with the prospect of getting pregnant, it starts spectacularly falling apart. Her cousin Hennie isn’t faring much better. Together they have to manage ex-husbands, new love interests, shady dealings, family drama, and still find a way forward.
This was such a sweet novel. I thoroughly enjoyed being introduced to Grace and Hennie’s extended family. I laughed, cried, and cheered for the bad guy to get what was coming to him. I believe this is a first novel for th
Isobel Jagger
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
The opportunity to read the "Search for a Star" winning book in return for an honest review was to good to miss. Lisa Hill has an impressive background and I'm sure this will be the first of many sucessful books. The wide sweep of characters, each of whom plays into the heroine's story, includes her redoubtable grandmother, her cousin, her uncle (who jets in from Dubai) a family retainer and a single parent au pair ( both given refuge and employment), a Michelin starred chef and a cowboy!
That is
Ruth
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
In the very first chapter, our heroine Grace faces betrayal and rejection, shock and heartache after learning her husband is unfaithful to her. After moving in with her grandmother, and beginning to regain her confidence, Grace discovers that her cheating husband is attempting to swindle her out of her family's stables, she then receives the shocking news that her grandmother has cancer.

This is an amazing, not to be missed book by Lisa Hill. Be prepared to shed a few tears and also some laugh o
Leah Ford
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club-books
This is a sweet, enjoyable, light easy read.

The characters are diverse and believable. The interaction between them is smooth and there is some wonderful humour.

There is no heavy complicated plot, just a story about love, betrayal, life and loss. The story is very predictable but still a lovely read.

There really is no need to write anything else except to recommend you read this. Sit, relax, get some snacks and copious amounts of tea or whatever you fancy, feet up and just read!!
Angela Britnell
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing

I thoroughly enjoyed this debut novel from Lisa Hill and am already looking forward to her next! Although set in the Cheltenham horse racing world it’s a great read even for non horse racing fans with its artfully crafted mix of romance, intrigue and wide range of family problems. Emotional subjects are tackled with ease and draw the reader in to care about the various characters who are all vividly brought to life. Would love to read a sequel please!
Rebecca
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
What an enjoyable book! I loved reading about Grace and her family, and I couldn't get enough of the horse and divorce drama. While the book started out a bit slow, it picked up the pace quite nicely and I was sad when it ended. A great book for an escape.

I received this book free from NetGalley in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion.
Carol Marques
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I bought this book because reviews said it was similar to Jilly Cooper's writing. I didn't agree as I thought the style was completely different, but that said, I did enjoy the book. It was a wide ranging story with a host of diverse and interesting characters. The plot was well developed and the individual story lines cohesive. I will definitely read anything else this author has to offer.
Laura Davis
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful wonderful read!

Read this book on holiday in Thailand and it made my holiday! A brilliant book with characters I really cared about. I had tears rolling down my cheeks several times but this was mixed with the warmth of true love and obstacles it always faces. Well done on a fab book. More please!
Laurie
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult, netgalley
A Jill Mansell wannabe with too much sex and swearing for my taste.

*Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing an e-galley in exchange for an honest review.
C bond
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
netgalley

A good well written read. I liked.
Lisa Bergin
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lovely contemporary romance set in the area I live. Just what I needed. I look forward to reading future books by this author
Teresa
This was a fantastic debut novel! Well done, Lisa Hill. This was such a great book to escape into. Great characters, lots of drama and emotion, mixed with a little humour. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book !

Lisa grew up in the village of Bussage, near Stroud, in the Cotswolds until she returned to Cheltenham as a teenager. She is married to her very own hero, Matt, and has three sons, Hamish, Archie and Laurence. Her first encounter of a romance author was chats over the garden wall between her father, Godfrey, and Mrs Cooper from the neighbouring village of Bisley. It came as quite a surprise in lat ...more
More about Lisa Hill