Start by marking “The Tattoo Thief (The Tattoo Thief, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Tattoo Thief (The Tattoo Thief, #1)

The Tattoo Thief

(The Tattoo Thief #1)

A policeman on his first murder case
A tattoo artist with a deadly secret
And a twisted serial killer sharpening his blades to kill again...

Published May 3rd 2018 by Trapeze

To ask other readers questions about The Tattoo Thief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tattoo Thief

Start your review of The Tattoo Thief (The Tattoo Thief, #1)
Paromjit
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an infinitely dark crime thriller set in Brighton in the fascinating world of tattoo artists, with a macabre serial killer that takes pleasure in removing tattoos by flaying alive the murder victims. The youngest DI Francis Sullivan faces hostility from his second in command, the older, more experienced DS Rory Mackay, who thinks he should have been the one promoted and from his boss, DCI Martin Bradshaw, disinclined to trust Sullivan's judgement, whilst insisting on courses of action ...more
Mandy White
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
This book will not be for everyone... it is dark, disturbing and graphic. If you can cope with that you will love this book! Lately there have been a lot of books with such similar stories that it has been hard to tell them apart. This one was absolutely an original story, and one that had me hooked.

Marni Mullians is a tattoo expert, she knows her ink as a tattoo artist in Brighton. When she makes the horrifying discovery in the rubbish near her studio of a man who has had his tattoos removed,
Lucy Banks
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

A well paced whodunnit with great characterisation - though sometimes a bit far-fetched.

Marni's tattooing a guy called Steve in her hometown in Brighton, when she discovers a body in the bins outside. She phones it into the police, only to find herself hauled into the centre of a twisted serial killing spree. As if the poor love hasn't got enough on her plate with her problematic ex-husband still in the neighbourhood.
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
he Tattoo Thief flicks between four characters. Marni a tattooist, Francis a DI, Rory, who works under Francis and the killer. The killer even though we get to meet them and see inside their dark and twisted mind, we don't actually know who it is. Obviously I was trying to guess who but failed miserably.

Marni is quite a strong character and I have to say I loved finding out more about tattoo's and what a normal working day is like for a tattooist. It really makes for some fascinating reading.
Liz Barnsley
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Tattoo Thief is a pacy and addictive thriller that I read all in one go - it is dark and quite brutal with an excellent twisty plot and some intriguing characters.
I liked Marni, tattoo artist, who gets caught up in a serial killer case despite her best efforts to stay out of it and the mystery elements are well plotted to keep things unexpected. It is gripping and often darkly violent, descriptively this is not for the faint of heart.
We get a glimpse into the world of the Tattoo artist,
Karen
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well. If you like your crime dark and graphic then this is the book for you.

As to what the book is about, “It does what it says on the tin”. There is a killer selecting people with tattoos and removing them – whilst the person is still alive. Gory enough for you? We’re not talking tiny butterflies here by the way – all those chosen have some amazing body art which someone is obviously desperate to own.

DI Francis Sullivan has been newly promoted at just 29 years of age. His promotion has not gone
Stephen Clynes
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buzz!!! Buzz!!! and the tattoo machine inks another person having given their consent to the tattooist to make their mark. However, there is a thief about who steals tattoos off people, leaving them for dead.

This crime thriller is set around Brighton and in her debut novel, Alison Belsham gives the case to newly promoted DI Francis Sullivan. What is nice about this police procedural, is that there are separate chapters from the point of view of the 4 main characters. DI Francis Sullivan and DS
Lia
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
The Tattoo Thief was a bit of a disappointment.
The premise is awesome. Tattoos and serial killers? Sign me the f up.
However, I couldn't help but change my mind when I was halfway thorugh it.
You can tell the author did her research and knew where she wanted this story to go, but apparently got a bit lost in the making because 1) it takes really tooooo much for the story to start and 2) there are plot holes and unsolved questions that will haunt me forever.
I found this book a little too
Tracy Fenton
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
WOW – This is one gory and gruesome debut and if you have a strong stomach I am pretty sure you will love this book. The Tattoo Thief is the debut novel from Alison Belsham, published by Trapeze and available to buy now and is the first book in a trilogy.

The gory story is narrated through four main characters. The Killer: a really sick and twisted individual who is killing people around Brighton and removing their skin to collect their tattoos; Marni Mullins: a divorced mother who works in
Norrie
Jun 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Someone is stealing tattoos off dead people in Brighton. When Detective Inspector Francis Sullivan starts sniffing around, tattoo artist Marni Mulligan finds herself involved in a tattoo expert capacity. She doesn’t trust the police and wants nothing to do with the investigation, but at the same time finds herself drawn to Francis, whom she calls Frank, just to annoy him.

Alison Belsham’s story is quite an intricate mystery, and the whole tatto angle is pretty fascinating. I learned a lot about
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
I really enjoyed The Tattoo Thief. I wasn’t sure what to expect going into it, but I found myself getting pulled into the story really quickly. I liked the tattoo angle, not least because I have a few myself, so it was interesting to read about.

Marni Mullins is a tattoo artist, and she stumbles upon a body in a dumpster when taking a break at a tattoo show. Conflicted, she calls it in but then goes back to work at the tattoo show, not expecting anything to come of it. Until the police find her.

Joanne Robertson
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was on my radar for quite some time before I read it and once I did get my hands on a copy I just had to start it straight away. And I read it in one sitting as well as it is so completely and utterly gripping that I couldn’t bare to put it down! If, like me, you’re finding it hard to distinguish between police procedurals at the moment or want something a little bit different that really stands out from the crowd, then The Tattoo Thief is the book for you! It’s a fresh and exciting ...more
Zizeloni
A nice crime book, nothing super great but good enough. The positives: I liked the introduction to the tattoo world, the fact that it presents the artistic side of tattoos (although I have none), I liked that it is set in Brighton, a city I have visited. I liked that there is a strong female character narrating half of the book.

I didn't particularly like the police inside drama, it wasn't bad, but why should we have the chapters narrated by Rory? Two narrators are enough. And I don't know about
Sharon
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well, that’s one way to kick off a book! We are talking tattoo removal with not a laser in sight! The Tattoo Thief brings a whole new method to the removal of body art! Moving swiftly onto a tattoo convention in Brighton and this book has got all my synapses snapping!

The Tattoo Thief is the police investigation into a brutal killer with a unique fascination. The killer is tracking down tattoo fans and killing them slowly for their skin! Enter newly promoted DI Francis Sullivan who finds himself
Mariska
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my, it's finished. I really enjoyed reading this book. Very exciting and I could hardly put it away.
Colette Lamberth
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Removing tattooed skin with the victim still alive is definitely an original and rather gruesome method for a killer. I can only wonder at where the author got their inspiration from but it made for a good read. I didn’t care much for any of the police officers and they had a bit of a tv cop feel to them. Surely a DI should be delegating more. The bitchiness of the relationship between Rory and Francis seemed about right though. I was surprised at how much I liked Marni and she was definitely ...more
Kelly Lacey
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Sometimes a book comes along that is so clever that when you finish it you feel like you have been hit on the head with a brick, like in the cartoons you watched as a child. As you exhale a WOW and sit for a few minutes in the stunned awe. Replaying your favourite parts over and over in your head. A fantastic place to be may I say, it doesn’t happen a lot. So when it does, the book is truly magnificent.

The Tattoo Thief is a debut novel by Alison Belsham. Set in Brighton, England. We meet two
Julia
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Tattoo Thief is a unique police procedural with an interesting premise, albeit not one for the faint of heart and weak of stomach!

The story has a gruesome opening and – be warned – is stomach-churning at times throughout. The killer’s narration is creepy and grim. From the start intriguing questions are raised about Marni’s backstory and her relationship with her ex-husband, Thierry, and the police.

I must admit that, to start with, I didn’t really find any of the characters particularly
Jayne Catherine pinkett
Just finished. Very gruesome in places but goodness me I couldn't put it down
Anke
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. It was like I was in the book while reading. Written very vividly with a lot of details. Loved the plot, started reading the book and did not want to stop! I want more inspector sullivan ^^
Kelly Van Damme
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Tattoo Thief is a chilling thriller featuring a very likeable DI and his very annoying boss, a kick-ass (and yes, you can take that literally) female tattoo artist and her French ex-husband / womaniser / tattoo artist, Pepper the dog, a koi fish and many other tattoos, the Yakuza (if only by name), a tattoo collector AND a tattoo thief (go figure!). And how does one steal tattoos, you ask? Well, evidently by assaulting the tattooed person, flaying them and curing their tattooed skin. Yup, ...more
Ellen
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Tattoo Thief is one of those books that will really get under your skin…sorry I couldn’t resist! It is true though, I really struggled to put this book down and was walking round my house with kindle in hand permanently. It is a really fast paced, intriguing tale and the action kicks off early doors when Marni (tattoo artist) discovers a mutilated body in a dumpster. After phoning this in to the police anonymously she soon becomes deeply involved in the case as it becomes obvious there is a ...more
Angela
Thoroughly enjoyable crime-thriller set in good ole' Brighton. Plenty of noir elements to this book, and some gloriously graphic scenes about flaying (so definitely not for the faint of heart).
The characters were well written, and with a strong female lead, and you do get a real sense of tension as the protagonists try to catch the killer.
It certainly isn't for everyone as it is rather dark and unsettling in parts, but the general premise, character and world-building is very good.

An advanced

Source - ARC

Blurb from Goodreads

A policeman on his first murder case
A tattoo artist with a deadly secret
And a twisted serial killer sharpening his blades to kill again...

When Brighton tattoo artist Marni Mullins discovers a flayed body, newly-promoted DI Francis Sullivan needs her help. There's a serial killer at large, slicing tattoos from his victims' bodies while they're still alive. Marni knows the tattooing world like the back of her
Stephanie
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read a lot of crime fiction but I have never read a book where the crime is based around tattooing and it is something I know absolutely nothing about.
There are four points of view, Francis, or to his annoyance Frank, is a new DI who has to prove that he is capable to do the job to everybody. His family and his religion are as important to him as his career. Rory is his bitter and resentful colleague. In some ways he had more experience but he is disloyal and I didn’t trust him or like him
Thebooktrail
I know nothing about the world of tattoos apart from what I see on Tattoo Fixers on the telly. but something about this novel intrigued me as the premise seemed so interesting and new. I don’t understand how someone can willingly undergo a needle just to have a flower or something on their skin. I didn’t even like those billy stampers( Remember them? I feel old)

Anyway, I digress. This is a cracking crime/serial killer which if like me, needles make you shiver, this is going to make you do more
Vanessa Schelfhout
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a story this is! Loved every word of it! Can you imagine someone knocking you out unconscious and then start flaying you to steal your tattoo? Neither did I, until I read this fantastic book. During the entire read I couldn’t stop thinking about my own tattoo and how gruesome it would be to have it stolen. To read this novel, you sometimes need a strong stomach, but that is also one of its strengths, or at least that is how I feel about it.
Marni, a successful female tattoo artist,
Zarco Dragonetti
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Overall, I really enjoyed this book and found it easy reading with a gripping storyline. Unlike other reviewers, I didn't find it excessively gory or graphic. Just sufficiently so to convey the mood of the book. Great concept, and a pretty scary concept, as someone with extensive tattoos...

Which brings me to my complaints about this book. The author really needed to do more research into tattoo shops and those with tattoos. My husband worked as a tattooist for many years, and some of the things
Hayley
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, fiction, 4stars
I was gifted this book by a friend and didn’t have any idea what I was getting into, but ooooh I enjoyed it! It’s a dark crime story, which is rather gruesome at parts, told from the point of view of four characters: DI Francis Sullivan, a young DI on his first case; Rory, his unwilling deputy; Marni Mullins, a local tattoo artist; and the killer at the centre of everything. I haven’t read a crime book in absolutely ages so this was a real treat! I was on the edge of my seat as they were closing ...more
Between The Pages Book Club (Gemma M)
Oooh this book was right up my street as a tattoo fan myself with several tattoos and a killer (the tattoo thief) even better haha! This story was bloody brilliant! The story is told through each of the different characters. Written brilliantly…

I must say though that Marni should have been the bloody detective with how much help and researching she did for the police… I felt the police didn’t have a clue without Marni… I suppose that’s all part of the story. Durr.

I absolutely loved it and
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: correcting the name of the translator 3 28 Oct 19, 2018 03:07AM

• Η γυναίκα του Ίσνταλ
  • Down to the Woods (Helen Grace #8)
  • Fiori sopra l'inferno (Teresa Battaglia, #1)
  • Gutten som elsket rådyr (Holger Munch & Mia Kruger #3)
  • A Gift for Dying
  • The Puppet Show (Washington Poe, #1)
  • Uitgeschakeld
  • Black Summer (Washington Poe, #2)
  • Τοξικά Μάτια
  • Aurora nel buio
  • Offrens offer
  • Nostalgia del sangue
  • A Cry in the Shadows (Nora Cooper Mysteries #2)
  • Pitta
  • La casa delle voci
  • Insomnia
  • The Scandal
  • Ponte en mi piel

The Tattoo Thief (2 books)
  • Her Last Breath (The Tattoo Thief, #2)