Start by marking “The Curious Case of Mary Ann” as Want to Read:
The Curious Case of Mary Ann

The Curious Case of Mary Ann

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  54 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
"Thorson has a brilliant idea in mixing the world of 'Alice' with a murder mystery. The result is a demented but internally consistent detective story… Although tackling a pastiche of a well-loved children’s book is a daunting task, Thorson succeeds beautifully. She deftly captures Carroll’s absurdity, wordplay, and unsettling strangeness and rings some changes of her own. ...more
Published June 16th 2017 by Waterhouse Press

To ask other readers questions about The Curious Case of Mary Ann, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Curious Case of Mary Ann

Julia
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this!

A most satisfying adventure! Gripping! Thrilling! Mysterious murder mystery! It's enough to drive you sane!

Alice wasn't the only one to deal with the Queen of Hearts in this fantastically lighthearted tale.
Linda Orlomoski
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First off, let me preface this review by saying that I'm not really what one would call a fan of Lewis Carroll's Wonderland books; if I'm being honest, they scared more than entertained me as a child and even though I dearly love a good tea party, I've tended to shy away from the subsequent movies, etc. (sorry Johnny Depp, you were just too real of a Mad Hatter!) That confession out of the way, I was rather surprised to find that I absolutely loved Jenn Thorson's new book THE CURIOUS CASE OF MAR ...more
Randy Mulchin
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Wonderous book!

A truly enjoyable read,with many fine characters,and some of the best puns or word play ever written. I had several bouts of belly laughs while reading. Jenn Thorson has taken a known story and turned it into an absolutely spellbinding tale. Remarkably enjoyable and easy to get into. Three cheers,Jenn ! You hit this one out of the park. ❤❤❤
Timothy Coplin
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
I am by no means a fan of the Carroll Looking Glass series of books which obviously serves as the inspiration for this book, and I'm absolutely positive I missed a whole lot of reference to that series, but I'll tell you what; THE CURIOUS CASE OF MARY ANN is a page turning romp filled with whit.

Set in Carroll's land of make believe, an honest to goodness mystery begins in chapter one and is brilliantly exposed throughout the course of the story. You may not see those brilliantly exposed clues al
Ember Shane
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really appreciated how this story tied in so well with the world of Wonderland, running parallel at times with Alice's adventures, but had it's own solid plot and key characters. Thorson is able to take a murder mystery plot and adapt it to the absurdity of Wonderland. There was the softest hints of romance that I would love to see pan out in the next novel between the two main characters. I was engaged the entire time and look forward to seeing what happens next. I would recommend this book f ...more
Ray
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I chose this book as a follower of Thorson, rather than Carroll and I wanted to read this for her writing as opposed to the subject.

I was not disappointed, the same style shines through, reflected in the puns and slightly off-beat humour, as was present in the There Goes the Galaxy trilogy.
Apart from the most popular elements and characters of Carroll's tales I knew little of Alice's adventures and it came as a relief to find that I didn't need to. Because this is not a book about Alice it just
Dane Morgan
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thousands of people ready Lewis Carrol's "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" every year. They all read a paragraph in the book where the White Rabbit tells Alice to go to his house and fetch his gloves and fan for him. Some of them probably even notice that the Rabbit calls her Mary Ann. Nearly every last one of them forgets MAry Ann ten minutes later. She isn't, after all, even in the book.

Jenn Thorson, on the other hand, remembers Mary Ann. She picks up that seemingly insignificant thread and w
Melinda Tyler
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an exceptional book! Its appeal stretches far beyond fans of Lewis Carroll and Wonderland but for anyone who enjoys a delightful buffet of humor, fantasy, and exceptional writing.

While it *is* a Wonderland book, Ms. Thorson introduces readers to a delightful array of new characters and of Mary Ann herself, whose primary mission is to solve the murder of her father. I shall not say too much more about the plot because I don't want to spoil the surprise.

This book was total escapism for m
Mv
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book does not have an excess of 'M' words. It does have a plethora of Lewis Carroll-ish predicaments, interactions and 'logic'. I found myself smiling a lot and several times laughing out loud.
This is a wonderfully written parallel to Alice in Wonderland. The story essentially begins when Mary Ann leaves the White Rabbit's employ to search for her father's murderer. This is the same day Alice finds herself in Wonderland and becomes mistaken as the White Rabbit's housemaid. As Mary Ann weave
Lisa Chapman
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recently decided to read all the popular children’s books that I have forgotten since childhood. Alice in Wonderland, being the most recent, meant I was primed for The Curious Case of Mary Ann.

The book picks up the story of housemaid Mary Ann, who features briefly in Alice’s Adventures, and here begins a tail (sorry tale) of murder-mystery, that Lewis Carroll himself would be proud of.

Featuring the familiar characters of the White Rabbit, Cheshire Cat and Queen “off with their head” Valentina,
Cynthia
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Very Clever Book

If you enjoy clever wordplay and puns, you will love this book. The mystery in the plot is interesting and I liked the characters as well. Mary Ann is a smart and independent young woman who learns new things about herself along the way. I was fascinated by the constant wordplay which is humorous and very clever. It often made me laugh with surprise. It does help if you are familiar with the Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass books. You will find references to ma
Claire Pitt
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: awesome
This is a beautifully written tale, full of wonderland references that will delight fans of the original adventures that took off down the rabbit hole and through the looking glass, but if you are not a fan of the original tales, this will not affect your enjoyment of the story. Wrapped up in bonkers imagery and very funny characters, are some poignant moments that really made me ponder. I wasn't sure how much I would like this tale, but I finished it loving two particular characters and found m ...more
Elaine Carass
what a great murder mystery set in wonderland. I liked all the events of this were happening at the same time Alice was in wonderland. This is only mentioned a few times but it adds to the story.
I loved Mary Ann and how she was given a life of her own.
I just wished there was more of the Cheshire cat in the tale. I do hope there will be a book 2
bob
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A clear labor of love.

This book was clearly written by someone who loves Wonderland. If more Wonderland adventures are what you're looking for, this is your jam. I felt the mystery angle took a while to come together, but the book was fun enough I didn't mind. I will say that your enjoyment of this book hinges on your enjoyment of Wonderland.
Michelle VanDaley
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
My review is based on the Audiobook. This was a great listen! I enjoyed the storyline and the characters very much. The pacing and world building were on point. The narrator did a wonderful job at bringing the story to life. I look forward to more from this Author and narrator. I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review
Lisianna
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
If you loved Alice in Wonderland, then you'll love this book. If, like me, you didn't necessarily love Alice in Wonderland, you'll still like this book if you enjoy a bit of nonsense and a good mystery. :)
Sush Rose
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't 100% sure I'd like this book, as it was very different to Jenn Thorson's previous (and very funny) trilogy. Well, I really enjoyed it! She has an excellent sense of humour and this just works! I would totally recommend this book.
Cheri Duncan
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely a joy to read. Miss Thorson captures the feel of Wonderland beautifully. The mystery aspect of this novel made this a fantastic voyage back through a favorite location.
Uli Vogel
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Now The Walrus and The Carpenter makes perfect sense to me. This extremely amusing volume reminds me of the Thursday Next series.
Carol
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny

A hilariously funny series of almost gotcha events. You never know what's happening next. I would recommend this book to everyone
Benjamin Golden
Dec 02, 2017
Indigo Roth
Oct 30, 2017
Julia
Sep 02, 2017
Andrea
rated it did not like it
Jun 03, 2018
Tom Ligman
Jul 03, 2017
Ant
Nov 22, 2017
Lewis Carrol : Book inspired by Carroll's Wonderland/Looking-Glass 1 11 Jul 07, 2017 11:16AM
Jenn Thorson always knew she wanted to be a writer; it was the C+ in Penmanship that initially held her back. By the age of 11, she'd written her first mystery novel, Key to the Blue Moon, which her secretary-- er, Mom--was good enough to type up for her. It was a raging hit among the two people she knew.

Spurred by her dramatic success, she went on to write other works, an experience that found h
More about Jenn Thorson

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
    $9.99 $2.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)