Start by marking “Perfect Death (D.I. Callanach, #3)” as Want to Read:
Perfect Death (D.I. Callanach, #3)

Perfect Death

(D.I. Callanach #3)

There’s no easy way to die…

Unknown to DI Luc Callanach and the newly promoted DCI Ava Turner, a serial killer has Edinburgh firmly in his grip. The killer is taking his victims in the coldest, most calculating way possible – engineering slow and painful deaths by poison, with his victims entirely unaware of the drugs flooding their bloodstream until it’s too late.

But how d
Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Published January 25th 2018 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Perfect Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perfect Death

Matt
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
Helen Fields is back with another instalment of her popular Police Scotland series, where DI Luc Callanach has a new case to handle that will challenge everything he knows about policing. Callanach continues to adjust to his position within Police Scotland, much different from his INTERPOL days. After his colleague’s recent promotion, Callanach is adjusting to a new professional relationship with DCI Ava Turner, who has been forced to learn the ropes swiftly. While Callanach’s attention is drawn ...more
Kirsty 📚📖❤️
Skyler Autumn
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

I can't stop, won't stop reading this series it so good. The perfect autumn detective read.

Review to Come

Sandy
Edinburgh homicide detectives DI Luc Callanach & DCI Ava Turner are back. With Ava’s promotion, any chance of a romantic relationship has been scuppered & their friendship has suffered as well. In this outing they will be forced to rely on each other as they come up against a devious & damaged killer.

Climbing the ladder with Police Scotland has been a lot harder than Ava thought. Turns out it’s the small things she misses the most. No more casual chat with the crew, no more drinks af
Christine
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh hooray! I am so over the moon to get my hands on Perfect Death. I was aching for more, after finishing Perfect Prey. This is one of the series that I have been raving about for some time. This is one of the hottest new series out there. Perfect Death follows on beautifully from Perfect Remains and Perfect Prey. This is quality crime drama. It is the very welcome return of Scottish duo, DCI Ava Turner and DI Luc Callanach.

If you are new to the series, I recommend starting with book one, Perfec
Eva
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After having read the previous two books in this series, I’ve come to expect a dark and gruesome story with a level of originality from Helen Fields. This third instalment is no different and the DI Callanach series just keeps getting better!

For one, there’s an absolutely fascinating killer on the loose. Charming, manipulative and apparently completely invisible. A killer whose pleasure comes from watching other people’s pain and grief. If that’s not original, I don’t know what is!

But there’s mo
Helga
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime, mystery, series
You can never have enough Callanach indeed!

A teenager’s naked body is found in a remote area. Cause of death seems to be hypothermia, but further tests show the presence of a large amount of drugs in her body.

A woman is rushed to the hospital after days of having flu-like symptoms. She dies under suspicious circumstances. Cause of death: drug overdose.

Are the two cases connected? What is the motive for the killings? Is this manipulative psychopath going to strike again?

Helen Fields never disappo
Mandy White
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley
There is is serial killer on the loose in Scotland and it is up to Callaghan and Turner to stop them while also dealing with major issues in their personal lives.

This was an enjoyable book, but being book 3 in the series and the first I have read I felt that I was missing a lot of back story. I think I will go back and read the first 2 books.

Thanks to Avon Books UK for a copy of this book to read in exchange for my honest opinions
Mary
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Totally addictive!
Utterly compelling!
Just loved it!
Highly recommended!
Can't wait for next book in the series!
Love
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So back in early last year, I went to a Blackwell’s Bookstore event. I had just started my blog I wanted to review some local bookish events. So when it said two crime authors were featuring I was delighted. They were Helen Fields and Paul Finch, two authors I had never read before.

The event was eye opening and I’ve said it many times in previous posts that hearing Helen Fields discuss how book one in the series Perfect Remains came to fruition, reignited my love of crime fiction. I had swayed a
Liz Barnsley
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow another stonking good read here in the Callanach series from Helen Fields - dark and twisted but with a really authentic edge, these are the books you bang through because you get so involved with all that is going on.

There were two sides to this beautifully plotted tale - both strands working well together to give an addictive and cleverly unpredictable read - Helen Fields writes with a strong emotional core that makes you feel the characters pain. Here we have a hidden poisoner - by the ti
Denise
"There were different types of pain...the pain of loss...shocked pain...the slow dull ache of reality...followed by the mewling baby, self-pity."

There's someone in Edinburgh who enjoys sharing grief that others experience. An evil serial killer is wanting to get up close and personal with those who've experienced the death of a loved one. This sociopath wants to offer comfort -- so much so that maybe that monster is responsible for the deaths in the first place?

DI Luc Callanach and the newly pr
Siobhan
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Last year I won Perfect Remains in a Goodreads giveaway, after debating whether or not I wished to pick up the book, quickly finding out this was a series I would want to continue. At first, I wasn’t sure about Perfect Remains but it soon won me over. It wasn’t the strongest four-star rating I have ever handed out, but it guaranteed I would be back for more. Perfect Prey, on the other hand, blew me away. I enjoyed it so much more than I enjoyed the first book, leaving me desperate for book three ...more
Nicole
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm so pleased this author has another book out already (January 2018) Perfect Death has Luc Callanach investigating a young girl's death of hypothermia. Meanwhile a sudden death has Ava Turner reeling, will she be able to roll with the punches that keep coming?
To be honest I could not put this down. I love the Edinburgh jaunty friendship of the team & DS Lively had me giggling many times.
I really want this made into a tv series.
However it was the last 50 pages that had me terrified for th
Karen
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another brilliant read from Helen Fields.
L just love these books, fast paced, great plots and wonderful characters
Sally Whiteside
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This series just gets better and better for me. I love this author as much as Angela Marsons and Robert Bryndza to name a couple. Cannot wait to see what is next in the series.
Yvonne
Helen has pulled off another brilliantly twisted and intricate plot as we are reunited with Callanach, Turner, Ailsa, Lively and Tripp. Bringing some events from previous books into this story to give a little more information on the established characters. The story is set in Edinburgh when the body of a young women is found in the area known as Arthur’s Seat, initially thought to have died from hypothermia. But from experience of reading Helen’s previous books, it was never going to be as simp ...more
Donna Maguire

I loved the characters and the setting (I am a big fan of books set in Scotland). The plot for the book was superb, the writing style was spot on for the genre with just the right amount of detail for me, it was gritty, it gripped me and I loved it.

Personally I do think you need to have read the books in order to get the most out of the book (this is the third book in the series and the previous two are also very, very good).

For me this is one of the best
Laura Rash
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A bit of a twist on a serial killer story here. I’ve enjoyed binge reading the first three books in this series & am impatiently waiting for book 4.
Julie Lacey
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a brilliant book and it seems the series is getting better and better.
I love both Luc and Ava and whilst Ava is now his superior, they still gave a great working relationship.
The killer in this book is very disturbed and it’s not until near the end that you find out why he’s been killing people.
He’s very meticulous and weaves his way into his victim’s lives and leaves untold grief in his wake.
There’s also a death of someone close to Ava and Alisa and the repercussions of this are fel
Louise
Dec 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Will T
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
Another hold-your-breath, grip-the-barriers, rollercoaster ride of a book, rattling along, building momentum and sending you in different directions with a sudden, unexpected jerk every few pages. As it glides to a halt you get off with your knees weak and your hands shaking. Phew! Now, where's the next one? Ah, right here on my Kindle's little ferris wheel...
Annette
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After reading the first two in the series this book certainly didn't disappoint. There are two investigations to follow, one is in connection with DCI Turners former boss who is found dead in his car shortly after retirement. This death leads to an investigation which is connected to the seedier side of Edinburgh with drugs, prostitution and violence an everyday occurrence. The other investigation is looking into two suspicious deaths with little to go on. DI Luc Callanach has some personal prob ...more
Donna Irwin
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I read the first book in this series featuring DCIs Luc Callanach and Ava Turner (Perfect Remains), I gave it five stars. I couldn’t believe the second book (Perfect Prey) could be better, but it was – I would have given it a sixth star if I could!
I was, therefore, delighted to receive a review copy of the third book as my first read of 2018!
Ava has been promoted to DCI and is now Luc’s boss. They are on the trail of a shadowy serial killer who kills slowly and callously for the pleasure of
Cathy Ryan
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ava Turner, newly promoted to DCI after the retirement of her friend, former boss and mentor, DCI Begbie, is still finding her feet both in her professional and private life. Her colleagues on the Major Investigations Team feel the distance her promotion has caused and their interactions are now less casual, particularly the friendship between Ava and Luc, now she’s the boss. When Begbie’s body is found in his car, a distressed Ava refuses to accept or believe he’s committed suicide, as the scen ...more
Lynda Kelly
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I pre-ordered this back in September as both the previous books in the series were easily 5* for me. However, I don't know if she's changed editor or proofreader or what has happened but this was a real disappointment as it has a LOT of errors all the way through it and spoilt it for me. I certainly won't pre-order the next one as this one wore me down. The story was still an easy 5* but she would've made the hat-trick if not for mistakes. Such a shame.
The main issue is the use of hyphens, or no
Elaine Tomasso
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and Avon Books for an advance copy of Perfect Death, the third novel to feature DI Luc Callenach and DCI Ava Turner of the Edinburgh Police.

Ava is struggling to settle into her new role as DCI, feeling the loneliness of management and missing the camaraderie of her colleagues. Perhaps this is why she refuses to accept the verdict of suicide in the death of her former boss DCI Begbie and starts an off the books investigation. Luc is investigating the apparently acc
Megan Jones
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Unknown to DI Luc Callanach and the newly promoted DCI Ava Turner, a serial killer has Edinburgh in his grip. The killer is taking their victims in the coldest, most calculating of methods, by poison, guaranteeing a slow and painful death. The victims remain unaware until it is too late. How do you catch a killer who is so adept at hiding in the dark? Callanach and Turner soon realise they are faced with what seems like an impossible task.
This read is the ultimate crime read and Fields is back t
Louise McAuliffe
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Right, book 3 in this fantastic detective series set in sunny Edinburgh. (No sarcasm intended- I live in Glasgow!)
As I’ve written before, the first book, Perfect Remains was my favourite read of 2017.

Book 3 begins with the strange death of a young girl on Arthur’s Seat. Is it suicide, accidental overdose or murder?
This case is paralleled with the death of a major police character and shady criminals and dodgy police dealings from the past resurfacing.

Ava Turner is now promoted to DCI. She is
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
DI Luc Callanach and newly-promoted DCI Ava Turner return in this third instalment of an exceptional crime series. Glasgow has once again been hit by a serial killer, a killer who doesn’t get his kicks from watching his victims die, but from witnessing the family’s devastating grief. His methods are also extraordinary – slowly poisoning them, over a period of time, through their food and drink.

Alongside this, the investigating team are coming to terms with the death of a much-respected colleagu
  • Shadows (Lucy Clayburn #2)
  • With a Vengeance
  • The Swedish Girl (Lorimer #10)
  • Bloody January
  • The Dead Won't Sleep (Rosie Gilmour #1)
  • Taking Pity (Aector McAvoy, #4)
  • Everyone Dies (Kevin Kerney, #8)
  • The Last Witness (DCI Daley #2)
  • Andköf (Siglufjörður #5)
  • The Birdwatcher
  • In Place of Death (Narey & Winter, #5)
  • Left for Dead (Maeve Kerrigan, #0.5)
  • Harold Shipman: The True Story of Britain's Most Notorious Serial Killer (True Crime, Serial Killers, Murderers)
  • Silence
  • An Unattended Death
  • Mord im Zeichen des Zen (Louise Boni, #1)
  • The Thirteenth Sacrifice (Witch Hunt, #1)
  • The Toy Taker (DI Sean Corrigan, #3)

D.I. Callanach (5 books)
  • Perfect Remains (D.I. Callanach, #1)
  • Perfect Prey (D.I. Callanach, #2)
  • Perfect Silence (D.I. Callanach, #4)
  • Perfect Crime (A DI Callanach Crime Thriller, Book 5)
“I hate the Chief, though I still miss him,” 0 likes
“George hated suicides. Said it was the cruellest thing to do to another human being. If you’re right and that’s what he did, then I have no idea who the man was I’ve been living with for more than half my life. I’d” 0 likes