Start by marking “Perfect Death (D.I. Callanach, #3)” as Want to Read:
Perfect Death (D.I. Callanach, #3)

Perfect Death

(D.I. Callanach #3)

There’s no easy way to die…

Unknown to DI Luc Callanach and the newly promoted DCI Ava Turner, a serial killer has Edinburgh firmly in his grip. The killer is taking his victims in the coldest, most calculating way possible – engineering slow and painful deaths by poison, with his victims entirely unaware of the drugs flooding their bloodstream until it’s too late.

But how d
Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Published January 25th 2018 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Perfect Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perfect Death

Start your review of Perfect Death (D.I. Callanach, #3)
Matt
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
Helen Fields is back with another instalment of her popular Police Scotland series, where DI Luc Callanach has a new case to handle that will challenge everything he knows about policing. Callanach continues to adjust to his position within Police Scotland, much different from his INTERPOL days. After his colleague’s recent promotion, Callanach is adjusting to a new professional relationship with DCI Ava Turner, who has been forced to learn the ropes swiftly. While Callanach’s attention is drawn ...more
Kirsty ❤️
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Skyler Autumn
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

I can't stop, won't stop reading this series it so good. The perfect autumn detective read.

Review to Come

Christine
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh hooray! I am so over the moon to get my hands on Perfect Death. I was aching for more, after finishing Perfect Prey. This is one of the series that I have been raving about for some time. This is one of the hottest new series out there. Perfect Death follows on beautifully from Perfect Remains and Perfect Prey. This is quality crime drama. It is the very welcome return of Scottish duo, DCI Ava Turner and DI Luc Callanach.

If you are new to the series, I recommend starting with book one, Perfec
Oct 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
For my full review, visit me at https://mrsbrownsbooks.wordpress.com/...

Fields has done it again, creating an immersive page-turner that I couldn’t wait to finish. I don’t know where she gets her inspiration from, (I mean, some of the scenes in this series are pretty dark!), but, picking up a Fields book is always a guarantee of great fiction.

For my full review, visit me at https://mrsbrownsbooks.wordpress.com/...
Sandy
Edinburgh homicide detectives DI Luc Callanach & DCI Ava Turner are back. With Ava’s promotion, any chance of a romantic relationship has been scuppered & their friendship has suffered as well. In this outing they will be forced to rely on each other as they come up against a devious & damaged killer.

Climbing the ladder with Police Scotland has been a lot harder than Ava thought. Turns out it’s the small things she misses the most. No more casual chat with the crew, no more drinks after work & n
Gary
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the 3rd book in the DI Callanach series by author Helen Fields. These books can be read as stand alone but I always like to read them in order to fully enjoy the sub plots etc.
I think that one of the strengths of this series are the characters. In DCI Ava Turner and DI Luc Callanach there is excellent chemistry. This book has Ava in a bit of an emotional turmoil, dealing with a recent promotion and the sudden loss of her friend DCI Begbie. DCI Ava Turner is distraught when her former col
Kat Dietrich
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it

Perfect Death by Helen Fields is the third in the DI Luc Callanach series.

Series Background: (Warning – May contain spoilers from previous books)
DI Luc Callanach is half French and half Scottish, living most of his life in France, and working for Interpol. Due to a false rape allegation made by co-worker Astrid Borde, he leaves France, his job, his friends, his mother. Very few are sad to see him go. With some assistance from his bosses, he heads to Edinburgh to take command of a homicide team
Eva
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After having read the previous two books in this series, I’ve come to expect a dark and gruesome story with a level of originality from Helen Fields. This third instalment is no different and the DI Callanach series just keeps getting better!

For one, there’s an absolutely fascinating killer on the loose. Charming, manipulative and apparently completely invisible. A killer whose pleasure comes from watching other people’s pain and grief. If that’s not original, I don’t know what is!

But there’s mo
Alayne Emmett
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another great book from Helen Fields. Although this was slow to start it got much better and picked up very quickly halfway through and I raced to the end. I had no idea who was doing the killings, I had my guesses but, it wasn’t until much further in the book that I realised who it was.
So far these books have been brilliant and I hope they continue with all the others in this series.
Helga
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime, mystery, series
You can never have enough Callanach indeed!

A teenager’s naked body is found in a remote area. Cause of death seems to be hypothermia, but further tests show the presence of a large amount of drugs in her body.

A woman is rushed to the hospital after days of having flu-like symptoms. She dies under suspicious circumstances. Cause of death: drug overdose.

Are the two cases connected? What is the motive for the killings? Is this manipulative psychopath going to strike again?

Helen Fields never disappo
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
There is is serial killer on the loose in Scotland and it is up to Callaghan and Turner to stop them while also dealing with major issues in their personal lives.

This was an enjoyable book, but being book 3 in the series and the first I have read I felt that I was missing a lot of back story. I think I will go back and read the first 2 books.

Thanks to Avon Books UK for a copy of this book to read in exchange for my honest opinions
Mary
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Totally addictive!
Utterly compelling!
Just loved it!
Highly recommended!
Can't wait for next book in the series!
Kelly Lacey
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So back in early last year, I went to a Blackwell’s Bookstore event. I had just started my blog I wanted to review some local bookish events. So when it said two crime authors were featuring I was delighted. They were Helen Fields and Paul Finch, two authors I had never read before.

The event was eye opening and I’ve said it many times in previous posts that hearing Helen Fields discuss how book one in the series Perfect Remains came to fruition, reignited my love of crime fiction. I had swayed a
Liz Barnsley
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow another stonking good read here in the Callanach series from Helen Fields - dark and twisted but with a really authentic edge, these are the books you bang through because you get so involved with all that is going on.

There were two sides to this beautifully plotted tale - both strands working well together to give an addictive and cleverly unpredictable read - Helen Fields writes with a strong emotional core that makes you feel the characters pain. Here we have a hidden poisoner - by the ti
Denise
"There were different types of pain...the pain of loss...shocked pain...the slow dull ache of reality...followed by the mewling baby, self-pity."

There's someone in Edinburgh who enjoys sharing grief that others experience. An evil serial killer is wanting to get up close and personal with those who've experienced the death of a loved one. This sociopath wants to offer comfort -- so much so that maybe that monster is responsible for the deaths in the first place?

DI Luc Callanach and the newly pr
Siobhan
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Last year I won Perfect Remains in a Goodreads giveaway, after debating whether or not I wished to pick up the book, quickly finding out this was a series I would want to continue. At first, I wasn’t sure about Perfect Remains but it soon won me over. It wasn’t the strongest four-star rating I have ever handed out, but it guaranteed I would be back for more. Perfect Prey, on the other hand, blew me away. I enjoyed it so much more than I enjoyed the first book, leaving me desperate for book three ...more
Jenny
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect Death is book three of Detective Inspector Callanach by Helen Sarah Fields. Detective Inspector Luc Callanach caught a case of the death of a young girl called Lily Eustis. At the same time newly promoted Detective Chief Inspector Ava Turner was trying to accept that her previous boss has died. However, a Detective Chief Inspector Ava Turner has to keep together because there was a killer loose in Edinburgh and her team needed her. The readers of Perfect Death will continue to follow the ...more
Nicole
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm so pleased this author has another book out already (January 2018) Perfect Death has Luc Callanach investigating a young girl's death of hypothermia. Meanwhile a sudden death has Ava Turner reeling, will she be able to roll with the punches that keep coming?
To be honest I could not put this down. I love the Edinburgh jaunty friendship of the team & DS Lively had me giggling many times.
I really want this made into a tv series.
However it was the last 50 pages that had me terrified for them a
Donna Maguire

I loved the characters and the setting (I am a big fan of books set in Scotland). The plot for the book was superb, the writing style was spot on for the genre with just the right amount of detail for me, it was gritty, it gripped me and I loved it.

Personally I do think you need to have read the books in order to get the most out of the book (this is the third book in the series and the previous two are also very, very good).

For me this is one of the best
Karen
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another brilliant read from Helen Fields.
L just love these books, fast paced, great plots and wonderful characters
Yvonne
Helen has pulled off another brilliantly twisted and intricate plot as we are reunited with Callanach, Turner, Ailsa, Lively and Tripp. Bringing some events from previous books into this story to give a little more information on the established characters. The story is set in Edinburgh when the body of a young women is found in the area known as Arthur’s Seat, initially thought to have died from hypothermia. But from experience of reading Helen’s previous books, it was never going to be as simp ...more
Dani
Feb 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I loved the first two books, especially DC Callanach’s character but I did not enjoy this book as much. The story felt quite extreme and unbelievable. I wondered if the book had been rushed to get it out following the success of the first two. I would still read the next book but hoping that there is a return to the standard of the first books. I’m also not so sure how long I can cope with the will they/won’t they dynamic between Callanach and Turner - its a bit Ross and Rachel from Friends!
Louise
Dec 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Laura Rash
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A bit of a twist on a serial killer story here. I’ve enjoyed binge reading the first three books in this series & am impatiently waiting for book 4.
Courtney
Jan 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
This series has been getting better with each book. The killers are a bit cookie cutter but the main characters are likable and the plots are interesting. This book in particular had some good humor provided by DS Lively who is quickly becoming my favorite detective.
Pat (not getting friend updates currently)
Very gripping! On the retirement of DCI Begbie, Ava Turner has been promoted to DCI and her comfortable camaraderie with Luc Callanach becomes more tense and edgy.

Did I mention this was gripping? A serial killer is targeting a diverse bunch of people so the police are struggling to make sense of it. When their former boss,ex-DCI Begbie apparently commits suicide it throws everybody for six. Why would he? Ava is reluctant to accept it is a suicide but struggles to make sense of this as well. She
Julie Lacey
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a brilliant book and it seems the series is getting better and better.
I love both Luc and Ava and whilst Ava is now his superior, they still gave a great working relationship.
The killer in this book is very disturbed and it’s not until near the end that you find out why he’s been killing people.
He’s very meticulous and weaves his way into his victim’s lives and leaves untold grief in his wake.
There’s also a death of someone close to Ava and Alisa and the repercussions of this are fel
Ceecee
Apr 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third in this series and I’ve read them all. I like the characters of Luc and Ava as they seem very real as do the other characters in the police force. I enjoyed most of this book but found that waning as I felt some of Christian’s actions were overly melodramatic and didn’t ring true. The other aspect I couldn’t get to grips with were the Glasgow villains who were so stereotypical. I mean - one called Knuckles? Oh please 🙄
Noodles78
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoying this series. I like both detectives equally, the crimes are twisted and perplexing so I don't guess who did it right away and the sexual chemistry is just right. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Shadow Man
  • For Reasons Unknown (DCI Matilda Darke, #1)
  • Deadly Cry (DI Kim Stone #13)
  • All Fall Down (Helen Grace, #9)
  • Killing Mind (D.I. Kim Stone #12)
  • The Murder House (DCI Matilda Darke, #5)
  • Three Little Pigs (DCI Kett #3)
  • Degrees of Guilt
  • Time Is Running Out (DCI Matilda Darke #7)
  • The Curator (Washington Poe, #3)
  • Paper Girls (DCI Kett, #1)
  • Shadow Sands (Kate Marshall, #2)
  • Outside Looking In (DCI Matilda Darke, #2)
  • Close Your Eyes (DCI Tom Douglas, #10)
  • Bad Dog (DCI Kett #2)
  • Written in Blood (Robert Hunter, #11)
  • Blood and Treachery (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #4)
  • A Room Full of Killers (DCI Matilda Darke, #3)
An international and Amazon #1 best-selling author, Helen is a former criminal and family law barrister. Every book in the Callanach series claimed an Amazon #1 bestseller flag. Her next book, the sixth in the series, 'Perfect Kill' is due out on 6 February 2020. Helen also writes as HS Chandler, and last year released legal thriller 'Degrees of Guilt'. Her previous audio book 'Perfect Crime' knoc ...more

D.I. Callanach (6 books)
  • Perfect Remains (D.I. Callanach, #1)
  • Perfect Prey (D.I. Callanach, #2)
  • Perfect Silence (D.I. Callanach, #4)
  • Perfect Crime (D.I. Callanach, #5)
  • Perfect Kill (D.I. Callanach, #6)

News & Interviews

“I hate the Chief, though I still miss him,” 0 likes
“He had a policy of enjoying every cup of tea he drank. The way Lively figured it, you never knew which brew might turn out to be your last.” 0 likes